Author Topic: Zelda: Breath of the Wild  (Read 29469 times)

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Zelda: Breath of the Wild
« Reply #160 on: January 18, 2018, 12:26:21 pm »
I think I've encountered 2 or 3 in my playthrough. The maze one was the most difficult, but you could also cheat it as a few poster pointed out.

This was one of the first shrines I did after getting off the plateau so I assumed the rest would be equally as difficult/annoying. Luckily I haven't encountered one since and I have put in nearly 50 hrs of playtime.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: January 18, 2018, 12:32:47 pm »
The trick is to make the ball bounce on top of the maze as it’s dropping and flip the maze over so the ball is just on a flat surface.

I seen that on YouTube. I play handheld mode sometimes though. So that's impossible solution, I did it in the end

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: January 18, 2018, 12:49:57 pm »

On Wii U I found that shrine to be no bother...still fuming they didn't let us have the map on the gamepad to be honest though ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #163 on: January 18, 2018, 05:32:58 pm »
On Wii U I found that shrine to be no bother...still fuming they didn't let us have the map on the gamepad to be honest though ;D
I guess that’s so the Wii U version doesn’t have something extra over the Switch version. That was one of the big selling points in the very early stages of the game.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #164 on: January 18, 2018, 07:00:20 pm »
I seen that on YouTube. I play handheld mode sometimes though. So that's impossible solution, I did it in the end

I detached the controllers to complete these dungeons, seemed like the most painless way to finish them.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: January 22, 2018, 06:56:37 pm »
Is there anyway to level up, increase your strength etc besides temp potions. I simply find myself going through weapons too quickly. For example I've just been in a shrine with one of those weird things that shoot bolts of lightning or whatever. Just of gone through all my arrows, most of my weapons. I mean I got a decent sword at the end of it but I'm struggling to see the point of acquiring weapons if they break after a few hits.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: January 22, 2018, 07:43:57 pm »
Is there anyway to level up, increase your strength etc besides temp potions. I simply find myself going through weapons too quickly. For example I've just been in a shrine with one of those weird things that shoot bolts of lightning or whatever. Just of gone through all my arrows, most of my weapons. I mean I got a decent sword at the end of it but I'm struggling to see the point of acquiring weapons if they break after a few hits.

Some of the guardians are tough, and essentially act like ‘bullet sponges’. But they do get easier, I don’t know if it’s directly related to story progression but eventually you’ll start picking up weapons with attack up, duarability up etc. And once you get the master sword the guardians become pretty easy.

You exploring and collecting the seeds? I find I’ve always got a good variety of weapons, few single handed, few two handed etc. Upgraded Stasis is also a massive help when fighting the tougher enemies, can give you that extra second you need to line up a shot etc.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2018, 07:56:22 pm »
Some of the guardians are tough, and essentially act like ‘bullet sponges’. But they do get easier, I don’t know if it’s directly related to story progression but eventually you’ll start picking up weapons with attack up, duarability up etc. And once you get the master sword the guardians become pretty easy.

You exploring and collecting the seeds? I find I’ve always got a good variety of weapons, few single handed, few two handed etc. Upgraded Stasis is also a massive help when fighting the tougher enemies, can give you that extra second you need to line up a shot etc.

Yeah I'm collecting the korok seeds but haven't found much use for them yet. I'm still pretty early just upgraded my sheikha slate. Most of the weapons I find are just run of the mill or dropped by enemies. Occasionally I'll find a decent one but it breaks after a few enemies.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: January 23, 2018, 12:25:18 am »
You're in an area of the game where the enemies take a lot more damage, and your weapons inflict less and break more easily. Defeating the Divine Beasts give you abilities to help, and visiting the tech labs also give you an option to buy more potent weapons to kill certain enemies, mostly Guardians like those in the shrines.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: January 29, 2018, 11:09:47 am »
Anyone else think the 'Z targetting' is a bit crap? OOT targeting was perfect.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: January 30, 2018, 09:40:01 am »

I've got through most of the game without using it to be honest. Found it so clunky that I learned to live without it. Agree that it's nowhere near OOT. That was such a perfect game in every respect.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #171 on: January 30, 2018, 02:11:14 pm »
Yeah it's not the greatest. Especially with multiple enemies. I use it in the hope of triggering a flurry attack.

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: January 30, 2018, 02:27:48 pm »
Found the master sword last night, not enough hearts to lift it. Little Korok fella says if I do the 3 trials it'll help me lift it. Did them and got 3 hearty truffles which gives you lots of temporary hearts when cooked and eaten...which don't work when lifting up the sword! Lying little sh*t.

Wish i'd traded my spirit orbs for hearts instead of stamina now!

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: January 30, 2018, 03:21:16 pm »
Found the master sword last night, not enough hearts to lift it. Little Korok fella says if I do the 3 trials it'll help me lift it. Did them and got 3 hearty truffles which gives you lots of temporary hearts when cooked and eaten...which don't work when lifting up the sword! Lying little sh*t.

Wish i'd traded my spirit orbs for hearts instead of stamina now!

I made that mistake too. I filled up my stamina bar when I only had a few extra hearts. As a result, I had to download a map of Hyrule to find a ton of shrines to get me to 13. From memory, I had to do at least 25 more shrines. Total pain in the arse.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: January 30, 2018, 03:50:00 pm »
You can exchange your stamina for hearts and vice versa, think it’s at the statue in Hateno Village.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: January 30, 2018, 04:12:06 pm »
You can exchange your stamina for hearts and vice versa, think it’s at the statue in Hateno Village.

Really? :o

How have I played this for all these hours and never known that!

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: January 30, 2018, 04:13:08 pm »
I always thought it was fucking stupid that you had to decide one way or another before you really knew what the game was about and what you actually needed.

Makes more sense now.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #177 on: January 30, 2018, 07:14:33 pm »
Really? :o

How have I played this for all these hours and never known that!

:lmao

I did them more or less alternately, worked well ;D

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: January 31, 2018, 10:13:17 am »
I've only done 1 divine beast. Im aiming to get the master sword before attempting the other 3. I need 7 more shrines though, and I cant do the major test of strength ones yet.

More exploring to do tonight!

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: January 31, 2018, 10:21:21 am »
I've only done 1 divine beast. Im aiming to get the master sword before attempting the other 3. I need 7 more shrines though, and I cant do the major test of strength ones yet.

More exploring to do tonight!

Obviously do what you want, but you don’t need the master sword to beat any of the divine beasts. For me, having a good bow and lots of powerful arrows has worked pretty well (and easily). I think it’s the Zora that give you a bow which fires triple shots. Get that and you’re laughing.

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: January 31, 2018, 11:52:22 am »
Obviously do what you want, but you don’t need the master sword to beat any of the divine beasts. For me, having a good bow and lots of powerful arrows has worked pretty well (and easily). I think it’s the Zora that give you a bow which fires triple shots. Get that and you’re laughing.
I've had a few of those bows. Got some from the yiga clan I think. It's just something I've set myself out to do! Trying my best not to progress the story too much

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: January 31, 2018, 11:54:46 am »
Just a quick question. Are all items available for free? In past games you could pay over the odds for Tunics/weapons etc to recieve them earlier in the game than usual but you could always get them for free by completing tasks later on.

Not sure if you can only purchase certain items in this game? For example the gerudo womens gear to get access to the Gerudo town I had to pay for but not sure if there was a side quest where I could have obtained for free.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #182 on: January 31, 2018, 06:22:38 pm »
You can? Fuck sake I never knew that either.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: February 1, 2018, 02:09:26 am »
Just a quick question. Are all items available for free? In past games you could pay over the odds for Tunics/weapons etc to recieve them earlier in the game than usual but you could always get them for free by completing tasks later on.

Not sure if you can only purchase certain items in this game? For example the gerudo womens gear to get access to the Gerudo town I had to pay for but not sure if there was a side quest where I could have obtained for free.
Some, but not all. For example, Kilton's monster shop only lets you have his items in exchange for monster parts, which in part are exchanged for his own currency called "mon" or some shit like that. You use mon to buy rare items and armour that you couldn't get anywhere else otherwise. You can also buy a house. Don't think you can get the gerudo gear any other way either.

Offline Disregarder

• Andshe'llripyerknackersoff
  • Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #184 on: February 1, 2018, 05:06:04 pm »
Been on this fairly solidly now for about 6 months. I've been gaming for more than 30 years and this is definitely in my top 5 games ever. If they had varied the enemies more, especially for later on in the game, and included big temples like earlier Zelda games it would probably be my number one game ever.

I keep expecting my interest to wane then discover something new and quirky like playing golf, snow boarding, caving or little hidden places that bring a smile to my face.

Only one area of the map to unlock and the master sword still to get but I've been having such a blast exploring I haven't wanted to rush through areas.

Proper genius
My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: February 1, 2018, 06:11:21 pm »
Got this and Forza 7 for christmas. So far I've put over 80 hours into Zelda, Forza is still in the wrapping. An incredible game.

For people struggling with weapons I think its just the way of the game unfortunately, I struggled early on but now Im finding more weapons than I know what to do with. Best thing I found was if I got a particularly decent weapon from an enemy group, I'd mark it on the map with a sword so next blood moon I could go back and get it again. Also if you find a weapon in the ground like a great flameblade or something (theres one on a bridge west of Hyrule field tower, guarded by a moblin) it will reappear after a blood moon. Exploring the world will get you more and more weapons as you progress through.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: February 2, 2018, 02:39:23 pm »
Thought I was boss before, battled for ages against loads of monsters, eventually killing them all and taking over their campsite. Robbed all their weapons and food thought ill sit down at the fire until morning when there will be less monsters knocking about. Caused the next blood moon and I was instantly surrounded and killed haha.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: February 2, 2018, 06:27:15 pm »
Been on this fairly solidly now for about 6 months. I've been gaming for more than 30 years and this is definitely in my top 5 games ever. If they had varied the enemies more, especially for later on in the game, and included big temples like earlier Zelda games it would probably be my number one game ever.

I keep expecting my interest to wane then discover something new and quirky like playing golf, snow boarding, caving or little hidden places that bring a smile to my face.

Only one area of the map to unlock and the master sword still to get but I've been having such a blast exploring I haven't wanted to rush through areas.

Proper genius
That's more or less my only proper rational criticism of the game I can come up with too. I'd have loved to have seen Poe's and Wolfos in the Lost Woods for example. Enemy specific to certain locations. I can understand the lack of traditional dungeons due to the design of the free open nature game and it's narrative, though. The same for the weapon system, which if it followed traditional leveling up and weapon progression, it would just flat out break the game. There would be nothing stopping you if you somehow went to an area of the world as soon as you start playing, and somehow got your hands on a sword that could kill the majority of weaker enemies in other areas in one or two swipes. You can still do that to some extent when you get a bit stronger, but eventually you lose your advantage when the sword breaks. Had to be done. It's just good game design, not bad, as some would believe.

The other thing about dungeons is similar, and in previous games you completed them in a specific order to get your hands on an item that allows you to progress. That was the only function of them, so to include them in there would revert the game back to being on a linear path. Hopefully the next Zelda manages to find a happy medium between the two.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #188 on: February 2, 2018, 07:21:18 pm »
That's more or less my only proper rational criticism of the game I can come up with too. I'd have loved to have seen Poe's and Wolfos in the Lost Woods for example. Enemy specific to certain locations. I can understand the lack of traditional dungeons due to the design of the free open nature game and it's narrative, though. The same for the weapon system, which if it followed traditional leveling up and weapon progression, it would just flat out break the game. There would be nothing stopping you if you somehow went to an area of the world as soon as you start playing, and somehow got your hands on a sword that could kill the majority of weaker enemies in other areas in one or two swipes. You can still do that to some extent when you get a bit stronger, but eventually you lose your advantage when the sword breaks. Had to be done. It's just good game design, not bad, as some would believe.

The other thing about dungeons is similar, and in previous games you completed them in a specific order to get your hands on an item that allows you to progress. That was the only function of them, so to include them in there would revert the game back to being on a linear path. Hopefully the next Zelda manages to find a happy medium between the two.
Yeah I'd go along with all this. Sadly you can't really have a true open world game as well as traditional Zelda dungeons. I'm glad they went in the direction they did.

Having said that, for the next instalment I'd like to see them keep the same engine and art style but scale the game down. One massive sprawling game followed by a tighter more linear experience is a cycle I can get behind.

Offline Disregarder

• Andshe'llripyerknackersoff
  • Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #189 on: February 3, 2018, 07:47:13 pm »
Yeah I can see now that one of the major positives of the game's design is that you can choose your own path through the game without the need to do tasks and locations in a predetermined order. I'd have liked a few extended challenges though. Can't have everything!
My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: February 4, 2018, 12:21:25 am »
Being really critical, I'd say that the divine beasts and their boss battles were a little too easy. The design of them, though, is genius. It's just they are a little too short. The game could have done with some traditional style dungeons like how TES does them with caves and ruins and such. The reward at the end could just have been a rare shield, sword, or rupees, or something cosmetic.  I still think the Forest Temple from OOT is the most atmospheric and memorable thing I've experienced in gaming, and nothing in any Zelda from it has topped it.
« Last Edit: February 4, 2018, 12:23:39 am by Macphisto80 »

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: February 4, 2018, 08:51:09 am »
I still think the Forest Temple from OOT is the most atmospheric and memorable thing I've experienced in gaming, and nothing in any Zelda from it has topped it.

Yeah the forest temple is outstanding but it's conclusion always feels like a pyrrhic victory to me. It always feels a bit depressing seeing Link's childhood friend trapped in time for the greater good of everyone else!

One thing I do find with the Zelda games is that it captures the passing of time better than probably any other game I've come across. Even though Link is the hero of the story and his journey usually has an obvious end to it, you still get the feeling that the world has carried on in his absence. Even further the games and its characters often carry that sense of nostalgia and melancholy that gives depth even to its smallest aspects. The world feels so alive that I often end up imagining what it could have looked like in other, better circumstances.

Offline steashy

• Main Stander
Re: Zelda: Breath of the Wilded
« Reply #192 on: February 4, 2018, 10:58:33 pm »
Ive not played a Zelda since snes which was a few years ago!! I’ve bought my kids Nintendo consoles over the years so we can play the games together,I  thought MARIO odyssey is another great game but started BOTW this weeks and feel a little disappointed, I’m probably going to get crucified in here for saying this But climbing these towers and getting map locations reminds me of assains creed am I missing something from this game as played
A lot of open world games like fallout but can’t get into this

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: February 7, 2018, 01:15:20 pm »
Has anyone bothered with the DLC?

Spoiler
The Devine Trial Boss is so fucking hard!
[close]

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: February 7, 2018, 03:08:47 pm »
Don't know what I'm gonna do when I finish this. It's been really good. Wonderfully crafted world. Lots of side quests and things to do outside the main questline.

Never been a huge fan of Zelda, even watching my mate play OOT years ago it never appealed to me but this has been a real surprise and one of the best games I've played in ages.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: February 7, 2018, 05:55:10 pm »
Ive not played a Zelda since snes which was a few years ago!! I’ve bought my kids Nintendo consoles over the years so we can play the games together,I  thought MARIO odyssey is another great game but started BOTW this weeks and feel a little disappointed, I’m probably going to get crucified in here for saying this But climbing these towers and getting map locations reminds me of assains creed am I missing something from this game as played
A lot of open world games like fallout but can’t get into this
The towers are optional in this game. As is everything else. You don't have to climb them if you don't want to. That's what stands this game out from all the rest. If you don't want to do something, don't. If you see something, and you want to go to it, you can. If you fancy a crack at the very last boss in the game in your undercrackers as soon as you wake up and exit the cave, then go for it. These are all things that 99.9% of game designers out there wouldn't have the balls to even attempt, and if they did, they probably wouldn't be able to pull it off.

I'm currently playing Horizon on the PS4 Pro. Great game, but I can't help but feel that BoTW has spoiled it a little for me. The most simplistic of things like facing Aloy up to a sheer surface, only for her to reject it like it's an invisible wall is frustrating. Even though the game is an open world, it just feels that much more linear and smaller because of that. The world just doesn't feel as interesting either. There's just something magical and mysterious about Hyrule that captivates you to go off and explore. I found myself constantly being dragged off in directions I'd no intention of going in. A couple of hours pass, and I realise I was supposed to go off and check on something else. I'm not getting that from Horizon.

If there is one thing I'd have liked to have seen from BoTW, is the devs exploiting the 'wild' part of the game, and introducing some kind of hard survival mode. Make stuff like flint and food hard to get. Energy drains as time goes on, and the only way to replenish it is to hunt and cook food. I mean, we're talking about a game where rain affects climbing surfaces, and wind affects the direction of rain, allowing for dry spots under ledges of cliffs so that you can drop some wood and flint and spark a camp fire under to pass time.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2018, 06:08:11 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: February 8, 2018, 11:03:47 am »
I like the open world on this but I also liked the linear gameplay of OOT. I liked looking up at something and wondering what was up there and then getting an item like the hookshot and thinking I can go up there now!

Items in this game just dont have the evoke the same feelings as in past titles, because they break. Nothing seems rare or special.

As said by others I think they need to find a happy medium. I don't think it would be too hard to have an open world but with certain limitations
« Last Edit: February 8, 2018, 11:05:32 am by owens_2k »

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: February 8, 2018, 01:36:30 pm »
I like the open world on this but I also liked the linear gameplay of OOT. I liked looking up at something and wondering what was up there and then getting an item like the hookshot and thinking I can go up there now!

It's cool but I think it was starting to get quite formulaic, and it was refreshing to play a Zelda game that shook things up. I love pretty much all of the Zelda games, but somehow the ones that break the formula (i.e. BoTW and Majora's Mask) stand out for me. I expect them to iterate on the BoTW design and for sure there are improvements they will think of.

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: February 8, 2018, 03:49:02 pm »
Didnt like MM. Simlpy because of the going back in time every 3 days!

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: February 8, 2018, 04:21:23 pm »
I personally thought MM was a better game than OoT, but OoT obviously more iconic due to it being the first Zelda title in 3d.