Author Topic: Nintendo Switch (was NX)  (Read 111494 times)

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Nintendo Switch (was NX)
« Reply #200 on: January 30, 2017, 11:57:30 am »
I'm actually excited for this.  This is a huge upgrade on my 3DS.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #201 on: January 30, 2017, 12:16:06 pm »
if you try and play online games over your mobile network you're in for a very bad day
When I moved into my current house 3 years ago I was without fibre for just over a month so tethered my phone for a fiver. It was outstanding. Genuinely couldn't believe how good it was. Didn't drop even once!

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: January 31, 2017, 10:10:07 am »
Nintendo chief Kimishima has said they intend to increase production.  Pre-order numbers very good.

Get to E3 with good momentum and at E3 drop a Pokémon trailer and watch the world go crazy.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 10:12:28 am by puroresu_kid »

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: February 8, 2017, 03:19:26 pm »
I cancelled my pre-order.

I waited and waited as long as I could, but I'm desperately disappointed there have been no significant announcements on new games since the full reveal in January.

Had E3 been imminent - i.e. the launch and that were roughly the same time - I would have persevered, but as things stand, I'm couldn't justify buying a console where there is only going to be one game available that I would like for the first 3 months of its existence and I already own the other console it exists on.

Gutted really. Will have to wait it out until the summer or possibly autumn, when there is a more solid games line-up.

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
  • Club first country second
« Reply #204 on: February 9, 2017, 04:04:07 pm »
They really have thrown this out about 6 months too early. Even the N64 shipped with about 8-9 games iirc with pilotwings and Mario being the standouts, I can't quite recall if Zelda was a launch game for it.

Another clusterfuck release by Nintendo, I really hoped with a new CEO things wld change but clearly not.
metallic on psn, cod4 buddies welcome

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: February 9, 2017, 04:11:52 pm »
They really have thrown this out about 6 months too early. Even the N64 shipped with about 8-9 games iirc with pilotwings and Mario being the standouts, I can't quite recall if Zelda was a launch game for it.

Another clusterfuck release by Nintendo, I really hoped with a new CEO things wld change but clearly not.

Zelda wasn't a launch title for the N64, no. It was over 2 years after the Japanese launch IIRC.

Nintendo gonna Nintendo. Ah well.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #206 on: February 9, 2017, 05:35:10 pm »
You could buy one with Zelda, finish it in a couple of days and sell it for almost the same! Probably end up costing you £50 if that's all you wanted it for.

If previous Zelda's are anything to go by, then it will take me a couple of months to finish. Having small children around the house could extend or reduce that (maybe one is just old enough to play it with me).  Damn good idea though and may well try that ....
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: February 9, 2017, 09:09:20 pm »
If previous Zelda's are anything to go by, then it will take me a couple of months to finish. Having small children around the house could extend or reduce that (maybe one is just old enough to play it with me).  Damn good idea though and may well try that ....

According to reports, Zelda can actually be completed in 15 minutes if you know where to go straight away.

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
« Reply #208 on: February 10, 2017, 03:01:47 pm »
I think that's because it's an open world adventure so theoretically if you know where the final dungeon is you can go straight there, u will get a whooping though. It's all about the journey :)

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: February 11, 2017, 02:15:51 pm »
Becoming more satisfied with my preorder cancellation now.

Switch isn't going to have any external app support at launch. So that means no internet, no Netflix, no music player; nothing. So it can't be even remotely close to a tablet replacement yet.

This really is the soft launch of all soft launches.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: February 11, 2017, 11:49:09 pm »

Bollocks. The N64 launched with 2 titles in USA and 3 titles in Japan. It had a few more in europe only because it launched 8 nearly a year later.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: February 12, 2017, 03:02:23 pm »
It doesn't really matter what the launch line-up for the N64 was, that was a long time ago. The XB1 and PS4 had the likes of FIFA, CoD, Battlefield, Forza and Killzone, as well as 20 or so other titles to choose from. By comparison the switch line-up is incredibly weak, especially when you think of the number of indie games and AAA titles already out there they could have tried to get ports of.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 03:03:57 pm by Schmidt »

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
« Reply #212 on: February 13, 2017, 09:18:44 am »
Bollocks. The N64 launched with 2 titles in USA and 3 titles in Japan. It had a few more in europe only because it launched 8 nearly a year later.
I wasn't really talking about how many games it shipped with in other territories mate as I live in England so I dnt know/care to be honest.
Are you saying you think this is an acceptable line up then?

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: February 13, 2017, 02:09:18 pm »
The PS2 had a bad Euro launch selection, if I recall correctly. That console didn't do too badly.

I know it had Tekken and Fifa, but Fifa was bollocks back then (could argue it is now). I remember only picking SSX to get with mine, because it was the only decent option having already owned a Japanese PS2 import with Tekken and Ridge Racer.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 02:13:36 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #214 on: February 13, 2017, 03:15:45 pm »
All I remember was the God awful firework game ;D, something Vision.

Crazy Taxi too, maybe?
AHA!

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
« Reply #215 on: February 13, 2017, 06:38:56 pm »
I think crazy taxi was a dreamcast exclusive wasn't it? I know it came out for the PlayStation eventually. SSX was fantastic, I put hours into that :) tekken was good but not a patch on Virtua Fighter. FIFA was shit on the PS2. Tbf the first Xbox 360 FIFA (launch game) looked like everything was made of wax, dire.
Bit off topic lol

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: February 13, 2017, 07:01:10 pm »
I know it's apples and pears but important to remember that the PS2 had a DVD drive/Media centre which was probably the reason it took off and never looked back.

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
« Reply #217 on: February 13, 2017, 08:03:58 pm »
True. Although I'm pretty sure the original Xbox (ugly black VCR looking thing) played dvds and had media features saving music to the hard-drive etc? I know I was running a kicking version of MAME arcade on it :)
I bet the SWiTCH has zero media features. Unless you have to pay oodles to Nintendo and run through some service they provide .

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: February 13, 2017, 10:32:30 pm »
I bet the SWiTCH has zero media features.

True, a big fuckup that will hopefully be corrected...

Unless you have to pay oodles to Nintendo and run through some service they provide .

Don't really know where you've plucked this from though - last I checked Nintendo have been the last of the three to make players pay for online play, I've had free Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon online thorughout the Wii U's lifespan, which is more than you have been able to say about the others, who forced everyone into a subscription model as soon as they possibly could - while in Sony's case not even providing particularly great servers for the most part.

The PS subscription model even fucked up my GTAV playthrough because I ditched PS plus and suddenly couldn't work the stock market properly because I don't pay for 'online' in a single player bloody game. So I don't think you're particularly justified moaning about Nintendo paywalls as I don't think they've been anywhere near as bad as the other two.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
« Reply #219 on: February 14, 2017, 07:59:28 am »
I stand corrected on the online front mate, I've not got a Wii u so that sounds good about the free service they provided for it, I was coming along the lines of how much Nintendo would normally charge for there games (although I'm harking back to the snes/n64 days) when there games were more expensive than for other systems.
The snes's carts were generally dearer than the megadrive and that was due to Nintendo charging a higher premium for the cartridges to games companies, one of the reasons the N64 had such poor support mate.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: February 14, 2017, 08:44:54 am »
The Japanese price for the online service is going to be ¥29,999 which if they currency match will be in the region of £29.99 p/a

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: February 14, 2017, 09:15:50 am »
So best to swerve this until much later in the year?

Breaking tradition - I've bought every Nintendo on launch day and had the Super Famicom months before the Super Nintendo was released here.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: February 14, 2017, 10:33:32 am »
So best to swerve this until much later in the year?

Breaking tradition - I've bought every Nintendo on launch day and had the Super Famicom months before the Super Nintendo was released here.

I am mate. Like I detailed before, I had a pre-order and have cancelled it. I want to play Zelda, but have a Wii U and the OS is going to have no functionality above simply playing games until much later on in the year (I suspect when the online stuff launches properly), so £300 is a lot to spend on essentially 1 game.

Offline Tomaldinho

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • camina, camina, con esperanza de tu corazon
« Reply #223 on: February 14, 2017, 11:22:56 am »
I stand corrected on the online front mate, I've not got a Wii u so that sounds good about the free service they provided for it, I was coming along the lines of how much Nintendo would normally charge for there games (although I'm harking back to the snes/n64 days) when there games were more expensive than for other systems.
The snes's carts were generally dearer than the megadrive and that was due to Nintendo charging a higher premium for the cartridges to games companies, one of the reasons the N64 had such poor support mate.

Nintendo games do seem to be more expensive, and hardly seem to depreciate at all but I suppose the first party stuff is pretty much all fantastic so that's why they keep it up near the original RRP.
@TomNJones on Twitter

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: February 14, 2017, 11:43:20 am »
I am mate. Like I detailed before, I had a pre-order and have cancelled it. I want to play Zelda, but have a Wii U and the OS is going to have no functionality above simply playing games until much later on in the year (I suspect when the online stuff launches properly), so £300 is a lot to spend on essentially 1 game.

Think I'll be doing the same. Will get Zelda for the Wii U and wait till October, or even Xmas.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: February 14, 2017, 11:46:23 am »
Think I'll be doing the same. Will get Zelda for the Wii U and wait till October, or even Xmas.

Was going to sell my iPad to get the Switch (I have a tentative technology agreement in place in my house - very much 1 in, 1 out), but as the functionality is absolutely nowhere close, I can't justify it. Really wanted to.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #226 on: February 15, 2017, 09:14:23 pm »
True. Although I'm pretty sure the original Xbox (ugly black VCR looking thing) played dvds and had media features saving music to the hard-drive etc? I know I was running a kicking version of MAME arcade on it :)
I bet the SWiTCH has zero media features. Unless you have to pay oodles to Nintendo and run through some service they provide .
I thought the original Xbox could only play dvd through xbmc. And that needed some geeky side loading.  I do seem to recall the dvd player in ps 2 being a big selling point. Oh and pes was much better than fifa then !
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
« Reply #227 on: February 16, 2017, 08:14:13 am »
I bought an imported PS2 (no patience lol) and it was chipped to play pal or NTSC games/dvds but only copies of pal ones, absaloute nightmare as the importers didn't tell me that and I'm not into pirate gaming so I shipped it out :)
I did the same thing with the Dreamcast but luckily that was region free :) awesome bit of kit that.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: February 17, 2017, 10:47:40 am »
I thought the original Xbox could only play dvd through xbmc. And that needed some geeky side loading.  I do seem to recall the dvd player in ps 2 being a big selling point. Oh and pes was much better than fifa then !

If I remember correctly - this may be apocryphal, but I think I'm close - the reason the PS2 exploded was that Sony bought the decoding licences related to DVDs to allow the PS2 to play disks without issue. The Xbox on the other hand (which sold 1 unit for every 4 PS2s) had a DVD player but no licence on each unit. That licence was 'acquired' when you bought the Xbox media remote controller for £29.99. You were paying about £3 for the remote, and the rest for the media licences.

As a student, the DVD player was an absolute godsend (and partly the reason I failed Uni) and was largely the reason me and all my mates got one - especially given that a standalone player wasn't much cheaper than the PS2 itself.

And this is where the disappointment with the Switch lies. They are doing an Xbox and not a PS2 (at the moment) and I hope it changes sooner rather than later.

Oh, and someone accidentally got a Switch early (happily it was a tech forum user and he videoed the whole process):

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/16/some-poor-soul-has-a-nintendo-switch-but-no-games/

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
« Reply #229 on: February 17, 2017, 02:29:59 pm »
Uv jogged my memory now!! Like u say Sony held the rights to DVD playback so the media remote was required to cover the cost of the licence.
If u got it hacked (very easy to do yourself) it bypassed that anyway iirc.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: February 17, 2017, 07:46:16 pm »
Anyone buying the Switch for media functionality is buying it for the wrong reasons. Nintendo has never designed it's systems with the caveat of a media player disguised as a gaming console, or vice versa. They've never had to. The selling point of the Switch is how versatile it is as a gaming console first and foremost.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: February 17, 2017, 07:49:30 pm »
Anyone buying the Switch for media functionality is buying it for the wrong reasons. Nintendo has never designed it's systems with the caveat of a media player disguised as a gaming console, or vice versa. They've never had to. The selling point of the Switch is how versatile it is as a gaming console first and foremost.

No one is saying that but Nintendo has themselves admitted that this is going to be a borderline beta UI for the time being.

If you combine that with 1 genuinely compelling launch title then it goes a long way to disincentivising a day 1 purchase in my opinion.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: February 17, 2017, 10:18:06 pm »
No one is saying that but Nintendo has themselves admitted that this is going to be a borderline beta UI for the time being.

If you combine that with 1 genuinely compelling launch title then it goes a long way to disincentivising a day 1 purchase in my opinion.
It all does come across as a little undercooked for launch, I agree. Still, though, that one compelling game might be just enough for some. The draw of having the ability of being able to take it on the go and just having a fresh new idea for a system will be a big enough draw for anyone willing to buy it, which I think will surprise a lot of the detractors just how well it will sell. I myself want one, but like yourself, I can't justify it just yet because of the anemic launch line up. If it had one or two more big games, then I'd absolutely go out and put the money down. If Zelda was exclusive to Switch, I'd probably do it. E3 should be a good indication of Nintendo's intentions. They can't fuck around there. Needs to be a good show just showing games and no bullshit showing shite like playing an ocarina with a Joy-con.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: February 18, 2017, 09:54:32 am »
It all does come across as a little undercooked for launch, I agree. Still, though, that one compelling game might be just enough for some. The draw of having the ability of being able to take it on the go and just having a fresh new idea for a system will be a big enough draw for anyone willing to buy it, which I think will surprise a lot of the detractors just how well it will sell. I myself want one, but like yourself, I can't justify it just yet because of the anemic launch line up. If it had one or two more big games, then I'd absolutely go out and put the money down. If Zelda was exclusive to Switch, I'd probably do it. E3 should be a good indication of Nintendo's intentions. They can't fuck around there. Needs to be a good show just showing games and no bullshit showing shite like playing an ocarina with a Joy-con.

Totally agree mate. If the launch line up is strong, then I'm not worrying about the media player, apps, VC etc and vice versa.

I've cancelled my preorder now so it's hard lines for me, but Nintendo could be super clever and announce GC support for the VC before launch and that would give it a new wow factor imo and would convince those that have slipped into doubt.

If I can get FE: Path of Radiance on the Switch VC for £10 (it's way above £100 for a physical copy) then I'm in 100%, similarly with Zelda 4 Swords, MGS:Twin Snakes and a few of the other rare and pricey titles.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: February 24, 2017, 05:56:14 pm »
Lots of reviewers of the launch models saying there are numerous problems with the units.

Most annoying being the left Joycon losing its sync with the Switch.

Also reports of the unit only lasting 2 hours undocked playing Zelda, which is about an hour lower than the official estimates.

Very disappointing.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: February 26, 2017, 08:44:23 pm »
I'm tempted to get this, how is online gaming on Nintendo consoles in general and the switch?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: February 27, 2017, 08:08:48 am »

I'm tempted to get this, how is online gaming on Nintendo consoles in general and the switch?

Actually, I'm in the States in April would it be cheaper picking it up there and would it play back at home?

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: February 27, 2017, 08:23:35 am »

Very marginal gains after state tax, I would expect.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: February 27, 2017, 10:54:26 am »
4 days till I have this beauty in my hands.

Zelda on the daily commute. Can't wait.

Edge magazine gave it 10/10.

Offline mattybeard

• Chicken Fondler. Group hug? Anyone?
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #239 on: February 27, 2017, 04:51:43 pm »
I cancelled my Switch pre-order and part of me knows it was the correct thing to do and another part of me is gutted.