Author Topic: PlayStation VR  (Read 36244 times)

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarįs Solo
Re: PlayStation VR
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2016, 01:39:42 pm »
Is this a deal open to all or just yourself?
Oh sorry mate, it was with Very and involved an email invite if you already had a credit account with them - it was £30 off a £300+ spend on electronics. I don't think it's still going, but they might do something similiar again soonish. They tend to send you that kind of offer if you've not shopped there in a while, to tempt you back.

If it was something open to all, I'd have given out the details here (after bagging one for myself, obv).
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2016, 01:42:05 pm »
Oh sorry mate, it was with Very and involved an email invite if you already had a credit account with them - it was £30 off a £300+ spend on electronics. I don't think it's still going, but they might do something similiar again soonish. They tend to send you that kind of offer if you've not shopped there in a while, to tempt you back.

If it was something open to all, I'd have given out the details here (after bagging one for myself, obv).

Thanks, I guessed it was personal but thought I'd ask on the off chance.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2016, 01:32:20 am »
First bout if motion sickness, played the Luge game on Worlds 20 min in almost lost my lunch :(

Offline AnfieldIron

• Water Like a Stone. Local laundry service ...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2016, 10:57:41 am »
Tried the London Heist game at some kind of Playstation pop-up shop the other day.

Fucking brilliant!

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarįs Solo
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2016, 01:36:17 am »
I'd recommend this to absolutely anyone. Zero motion sickness for me so far no matter what I've played, fast movement or jumping or whatever - I might just be one of the lucky ones, or too much is being made of it by pussy-stomached whingers.

The only possible moan I could have is with the low resolution and thus lack of clarity in the image overall (making reading small text sometimes very difficult), but it's certainly not enough to spoil the experience. And a plus point of that low res screen issue is that I can comfortably play without my glasses, as my prescription is not particularly strong, and I don't feel like I'm missing out like I would full HD on a screen some distance away (text would be pretty unreadable for me, and the picture too blurry to appreciate this gen's graphical capabilities) - I think the use of small text in VR is a design no-go, and the smartest devs have avoided it entirely in their games; any writing on screen should be big enough to make out unless you're seriously lost without your spex. The main offenders will soon learn their lesson if people make a point of letting them know there's no real need to have small text in-game.

Tried it with my glasses on too, and the headset is still comfortable to wear, but I tend to have it as close to my face as possible to block out as much light seeping in from the bottom as possible, so it pushes my glasses up till the nosepads pinch the skin where my eyes meet the top of my nose. That, plus a more noticable screen-door effect, means it's not really worth it for me just to be able to see a low-res image more sharply.

Most impressive implementations of VR for me so far:

Allumette (free on PSN) - lovely little stop-motion style animation, utilising a real sense of space. The characters look incredibly cute on such a tangibly three-dimensional stage, and I was so involved in the experience that the simple story ended up being quite touching. Shows real promise for stop-motion VR visuals (a very clever way of using quite a low framerate to your advantage, because it looks authentic that way), and I can definitely see a fantastic god sim done in this way.

Thumper - absolutely brilliant cinematic, trippy rhythm game. Highly addictive and atmospheric, reminds me of those old sweeping film studio intros before a feature.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood - superbly done rail-shooter, and still fun and responsive when played with the dualshock (I don't have the motion controllers).

Rigs - probably the best competitive sportsy experience in PS VR at the moment.

The Playroom VR (free on PSN) - really delightful, fun, wonder-filled childlike stuff, and looks genuinely bright & beautiful. Has a third-person 3D platformer which does brilliant things with VR, makes me look forward to more platformers being played this way.

Battlezone and Eve Valkyrie - both seem pretty cool from their (very short) demos, but I couldn't say how much they'll live up to those first impressions. I have a feeling that Eve might be too restrictive and on rails a space game for my liking (I want to roam around and take in the sights of that galaxy), and that Battlezone might start getting repetitive to play after a while.

I really hope Resi 7 is less schlocky than the Kitchen demo - I find it goofy rather than scary. I think something like the actual P.T. would really shit me up in VR, but despite liking ths one, I didn't get that sort of impact from it.

And I'm happy to talk up the Cinema Mode here. I've yet to see any live-action 360-degree film clip that was crisp enough for me to really enjoy (hope the couple of clips I saw aren't the best that can be done, I frankly can't believe that having seen how good some games and animations manage to look - I think the bits of live-action films I saw were either highly compressed, or not HD sharp pictures to begin with, and so have suffered with further resolution downscaling for this), but I really dig the effect of watching the more cinematic games on a virtual IMAX screen. It's nothing like playing them in HD, but instead it has this old film projector vibe which makes it all the more atmospheric for me; sent me back to those slightly out-of-focus screenings in the golden days, like of dodgy '70s Disney flicks back in school.  ;D

Bloodborne and The Last of Us really shine when played this way; what you lose in visual detail you gain back in sheer atmosphere. That sense of being in a spacious theatre losing yourself in the picture is compelling for me, even though it is just a big flat screen floating in black space rather than a virtual seat. Rocket League Rumble mode is great fun on a huge VR screen too, almost seems like it's in proper 3D at times (but you can instantly tell the difference once you're plunged into a proper VR world with true stereoscopy!).

All in all, absolutely chuffed to bits with it, and very optimistic for its future. I haven't got a stand for it though, so packing it all away back in its box is a right pain in the arse...

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2016, 12:31:06 pm »
Damn all you people talking this up. If I make it through Christmas without caving and buying one I'll be amazed...
"We come here for the winning!"

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2016, 02:06:21 pm »
So of course this is top of my kids Christmas list. Are the Move controllers and the camera essential to buy along with the headset? Are any games included?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2016, 02:19:45 pm »
So of course this is top of my kids Christmas list. Are the Move controllers and the camera essential to buy along with the headset? Are any games included?

The move controllers not so much, only found 1 game that uses it, London Heist. The camera is essential though. The bundle I bought included Playstation Worlds.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2016, 02:19:49 pm »
The camera is essential. The move controllers aren't but they do work better for some games, like shooting mechanics for example.

No games included unless there's a package. There's a demo disc included. Games vary in price for 10 quid to fifty.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2016, 02:20:54 pm »
Oh also, me 80 year old nan wanted a go of the descent game in VR worlds.

Can't be bad if she wants a go.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2016, 02:31:20 pm »
Cheers lads. Think I'll jib the controllers and he can get them himself with his Christmas money if he wants them.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2016, 02:32:31 pm »
Cheers lads. Think I'll jib the controllers and he can get them himself with his Christmas money if he wants them.

See if you can get a bundle.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2016, 02:37:36 pm »
Battlezone and Eve Valkyrie - both seem pretty cool from their (very short) demos, but I couldn't say how much they'll live up to those first impressions. I have a feeling that Eve might be too restrictive and on rails a space game for my liking (I want to roam around and take in the sights of that galaxy), and that Battlezone might start getting repetitive to play after a while.

Valkyrie isn't on rails at all, the demo is a single player mission but the full game is primarily multiplayer where you're free to roam the map.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2016, 02:41:17 pm »
Valkyrie isn't on rails at all, the demo is a single player mission but the full game is primarily multiplayer where you're free to roam the map.

True..
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2016, 03:50:36 pm »
Honestly it's the coolest gaming experience I've ever had.

The shark attack in worlds had me bricking it.

If you're thinking of buying the VR - definitely start out by buying worlds. It's basically 5 or 6 games bundled into one. Will give you a taste of everything the VR has to offer.

So glad I bought this.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2016, 04:07:52 pm »
Played for about an hour and half yesterday, tried the rail demo for Until Dawn: Rush of Blood , thought i'd get sick, no motion sickness whatsoever, then played an hour of Rigs (3 games) no motion sickness there either. Happiness.

I really need to get the recharge stand though, not enough USB inputs on the playstation to charge everything. Plus it would be nice to have somewhere to put all.

Is Rush of Blood the full game worth it?

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2016, 12:37:28 am »
I spent the weekend playing one, and I am utterly convinced now that one day soon, VR will replace how we play videogames. Not just in the conventional sense of sitting in front of a TV with a controller, but how games will be designed, and what we'll come to expect. The way some of these games (which are effectively tech demos) use the standard controller, is in a way that is both intuitive and unique. I've never imagined a control pad could be used as a physical implement that actually effects the game environment. There's going to be so many clever and refreshing ideas now.

My first experience with the headset came from The Kitchen demo. I didn't know what to expect, having never played a horror game in VR before, but fucking hell, I was genuinely uncomfortable and astonished at the same time. The way you actually feel physical presence is mind blowing. I just sat for about 10 minutes taking in the environment and looking at stuff. At one point I stood up (which was weird in this demo if you look down, as it disembodies you) walked a couple of steps and tried to physically touch the large ceiling fan to spin it. Once the demo started, it made me feel even more uncomfortable. You would think some of the videos of people screaming on Youtube reaction videos are staged or exaggerated for effect, but they aren't. I let out a girly scream (and pissed myself laughing at myself for doing so) as I got attacked and stabbed in the leg with a knife. My body's instinct was to kick and flinch as the knife went in. When the monster vanished, and all I could hear was her scuttling around and out of sight, I bricked it and pulled the headset off. I didn't want any more of it. Resident Evil 7 should come with a warning for people who suffer from any kind of nervous disposition. I can probably see complaints and attempts to ban VR already.

I could literally ramble on all day about just how good this headset is. Eve Valkyrie literally made me geek out and feel like a 12 year old kid again. You can't put a price on that kind of feeling. To see that cockpit for the first time, then to look out the side windows and see how massive those wing cannons are is something I'll never forget. I was literally in a spaceship, in space, doing barrel rolls that made my head spin, and in dog fights that made me whip my head around my shoulder to see where the enemy fighters were. It's as if I was in Battlestar Galactica. I couldn't believe how amazing it was, and then the demo ended. Gutted.

If this is just the 1st generation of VR, then it's just an incredibly exciting time for the industry. A game changer? You better believe it.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2016, 04:57:33 am »
I spent the weekend playing one, and I am utterly convinced now that one day soon, VR will replace how we play videogames. Not just in the conventional sense of sitting in front of a TV with a controller, but how games will be designed, and what we'll come to expect. The way some of these games (which are effectively tech demos) use the standard controller, is in a way that is both intuitive and unique. I've never imagined a control pad could be used as a physical implement that actually effects the game environment. There's going to be so many clever and refreshing ideas now.

My first experience with the headset came from The Kitchen demo. I didn't know what to expect, having never played a horror game in VR before, but fucking hell, I was genuinely uncomfortable and astonished at the same time. The way you actually feel physical presence is mind blowing. I just sat for about 10 minutes taking in the environment and looking at stuff. At one point I stood up (which was weird in this demo if you look down, as it disembodies you) walked a couple of steps and tried to physically touch the large ceiling fan to spin it. Once the demo started, it made me feel even more uncomfortable. You would think some of the videos of people screaming on Youtube reaction videos are staged or exaggerated for effect, but they aren't. I let out a girly scream (and pissed myself laughing at myself for doing so) as I got attacked and stabbed in the leg with a knife. My body's instinct was to kick and flinch as the knife went in. When the monster vanished, and all I could hear was her scuttling around and out of sight, I bricked it and pulled the headset off. I didn't want any more of it. Resident Evil 7 should come with a warning for people who suffer from any kind of nervous disposition. I can probably see complaints and attempts to ban VR already.

I could literally ramble on all day about just how good this headset is. Eve Valkyrie literally made me geek out and feel like a 12 year old kid again. You can't put a price on that kind of feeling. To see that cockpit for the first time, then to look out the side windows and see how massive those wing cannons are is something I'll never forget. I was literally in a spaceship, in space, doing barrel rolls that made my head spin, and in dog fights that made me whip my head around my shoulder to see where the enemy fighters were. It's as if I was in Battlestar Galactica. I couldn't believe how amazing it was, and then the demo ended. Gutted.

If this is just the 1st generation of VR, then it's just an incredibly exciting time for the industry. A game changer? You better believe it.

Bought the full version of Eve, what an experience, as you rightly said say in the pilots seat looking in-front, behind, above and to the sides of the cockpit is an amazing experience... and then the magnetic catapult launch into the battle fleet...  stuff of boyhood dreams that. The training VR battles are epic... go now and buy the full version for you have seen nothing yet... VR? Its the real deal and its not a gimmick anymore, as anyone on here who owns a PS-VR can tell you, its impossible to describe the sense of immersion and presence within the environment...  you have to try..

The is plenty of excellent games coming out over the next month and through next year... also plenty to get on with now.
Two of the lads came over from work on Saturday night, not gamer's both in their forties, both tried EVE, Batman and Rigs,both have ordered the headset and PS4 ! Saying that, the lads love the Sci-Fi movies, something very different about VR which attracts none gamers to buy... has to be the immersion into worlds we could not experience on a conventional TV set. VR is a totally different experience to any form of  gaming I have experienced.   

The most weird thing has to be the use of ones head,you forget at times that you are immersed in a world so you have to be actively engaged in an VR experience like Eve by moving ones head, looking out the cockpit side window to see enemies below and to the left or right of you, or behind or above or in-front...that's when you understand how VR will change gaming, sports events, education and many other things which we cannot foresee.

Don't expect the clarity of a TV screen.. but its still an awesome experience, one thing I have noted is the strong need to want to be in that immersive experience again and again....  not sure if that's a healthy thing. I don't use the headset in the working week because I will be plugged into the bloody thing until the wee hours !

So bottom line .. if you can try and then buy...       
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 05:00:00 am by kopite321 »
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarįs Solo
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2016, 11:27:15 am »
Good to hear, because to be honest I did feel quite constricted playing the demo, myself. I think the sense of being out there in the vastnesss of space, where you can look all around you and feel so small within your craft, makes it extra-frustrating to be directed along a more-or-less fixed path.

I'm still not sure whether it'll give me what I want from a space game, if the increased freedom in multiplayer is kind of negated a bit by your time constantly being taken up in frantic battles. VR makes the urge to just patiently explore the awe-inspiring sights out there in the galaxy so so strong, I'd end up getting annoyed by constantly being interrupted by someone initiating a dogfight with me... I'm just trying to have a picnic parked here watching this black hole eat a dying star, leave me alone FFS!  ;D

Someone please give me a heads-up the moment something like that becomes available for PS VR. I've been thinking about how amazing a virtual planetarium would be, where you would walk into the theatre space as you would in a real one, but then as you're being educated about our solar system and beyond, you could actually float up into the ceiling constellation projection and fly through the void to visit planets, stars, etc. yourself, unrestricted. You wouldn't necessarily have to create procedurally-generated terrain for the entire planets, only a sizeable fixed vista, maybe by cleverly directing your descent to just one section of the planet, and have that section load up as you burn through the atmosphere in blinding fire.

One of the very best things for me about VR, when done to the quality this headset does it (which, believe me, is a real bargain if you already have a PS4 - the other 'premium' headsets most certainly do not put this to shame, in fact there's hardly anything in it once you stop wanking about the specs and just experience the experiences on offer), is that it breathes extraordinary new life into extremely simple gameplay constructs. As Mac says, the VR poo-pooers frankly haven't got a clue, because there are so many ideas swirling around my head now about games which could never even hope to work outside of VR, but would be utterly compelling within that space. It can take already winning game genres (3D platformers, shooters, puzzlers, racers, rhythmers, point & click adventures, god sims...) and instantly give them a thrilling new dimension, but it can also invent countless genres of its own. It's an entire new videogame platform (well, not that 'new' of a concept per se, but you know what I mean).

And I'm glad other people are spooked by the Kitchen demo - I did enjoy it, I just find it a tad too silly to have any visceral fear reaction. It made me giggle, but I want the Resi 7 to make me shit my pants with a sense of nopey dread, rather than loads of jumpy surprise bits which have you laughing after too long. Hopefully there's at least a sequence in the full game where the classic Resi guilty-pleasure bad B-horror flick acting gives way to a real oppressive, claustrophobic, psychologically-troubling atmosphere more akin to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Thing or The Shining or something. The original Silent Hills would be so disturbing if brought up to date in VR; that slowly creeping feeling of vague wrongness and evil hanging in the misty air being the ultimate 'baddie'.

On another note, I'm getting so much out of playing non-VR games in Cinema Mode as well. That slightly-blurry old-style big screen film projection effect really does something for me deep down, I kind of want a developer to fully embrace it and add an optional film grain filter just for those playing in Cinema Mode. Seriously try it, and if you remember those golden days of proper filmreel projection, you too might get the same warm vibe.

Rocket League Rumble is phenomenal enough fun the standard way, but it ups the ante when played on a virtual IMAX screen, for me. I think there just has to be a Rocket League VR, it would be simply incredible - imagine driving forward on an attacking run while simultaneously tracking the flight of the ball above and behind you with your head, as natural as anything, letting you judge the perfect moment to use that power-up you've been saving... pure magic. I'm having dreams about shit like this.

By the way, I've found the ultimate motion sickness acid test: Windlands, with all comfort options turned off. I passed all the tests I set my body, thankfully, but there's definitely a little something there going on in the background; it's a sort of momentary dizzy-inside-the-head sensation, which I can easily imagive could travel to the stomach quicker for some than it does others, giving you less time to process it. I don't think I could do it at full intensity for hours on end, I don't know. Nice game though, it's a really visceral effect grappling and swinging from tree to tree - perhaps the most disorienting aspect is not that, happening at full speed, but just sharply changing your viewing direction with the right stick in combination with head-tracking. It's a very strange, slightly confusing feeling.

Shouts out to Thumper again, which continues to amaze me and always leaves me itching for more (I've spent the most playtime by far on that), the cute-as-fuck animaton Invasion!, and the absolutely wonderfully-realised god sim Tethered. Was mightily impressed by the presentation of Super Hyper Cube too, although I'm not sure the full game would warrant a £25 outlay, as you kind of know what you're getting for the rest of the levels. As the prices come down once launch fever settles, I'll start hoovering up loads of these more mini-gamey things, such as Headmaster.

Now that I feel the disorientation that leads to motion sickness for many is probably just something you simply need to push through with until you've got your 'VR legs', the sky's the limit in terms of what can be done in VR. I now know I don't necessarily have to be inside a cockpit or anything like that, it's more a case of how well the devs implement your movement through the environment.

You defo getting one then, Macphisto?  :D

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2016, 01:07:57 pm »
Quick question guys before I take the plunge.

As the image is displayed in the headset, do you need to show it on the tv screen at the same time? I'm thinking I've got more chance of getting this past the 'wife test' if she can watch tv while the ps4 runs in the background.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2016, 01:09:14 pm »
Quick question guys before I take the plunge.

As the image is displayed in the headset, do you need to show it on the tv screen at the same time? I'm thinking I've got more chance of getting this past the 'wife test' if she can watch tv while the ps4 runs in the background.

It shows on the tv what you are seeing. Whether or not you can run it in the background, I doubt it, as it's an HDMI connection so you'd have to be on that input. But honestly not sure.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarįs Solo
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2016, 01:14:29 pm »
Just change the channel!  ;D

You can play fine with the TV off, muted, on an entirely other input such as watching a DVD in a separate player (not the PS4, obv)... the TV is separate, only the PS4 and the headset are 'occupied' with the thing you're running, the TV is just an optional display for spectators.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2016, 01:15:18 pm »

You can play fine with the TV off, muted, on an entirely other input such as watching a DVD in a separate player (not the PS4, obv)... the TV is separate, only the PS4 and the headset are 'occupied' with the thing you're running, the TV is just an optional display for spectators.

Interesting, didn't know that. Good to know for the future!

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarįs Solo
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2016, 01:51:36 pm »
I spend so long in there all on my bill when I do put it on (not often, so far I've only had chance to get it out like once a week - oo-er - but for more or less a full day at a time. It's a lot of bits & pieces to take out the box, set up, and then put back in the box again; I've perfected my neat pack-away technique now, but it's nothing like jumping on for a quick game of PES... and frequent heavy sessions will likely ruin your eyesight anyway!), my tele often turns itself off.

I haven't tried setting it up without involving the TV at all yet, because obviously you need a screen to see what you're doing before you slap the headset on, but I see no reason why you couldn't just unplug the TV HDMI entirely once you're all set. Someone will have to try it, see if it spazzes out - you plug the TV HDMI into the mini-PS4-looking processing unit, and the unit HDMI into the PS4.

One feature I think could be a little useful would be a camera view from the headset, because currently you need to lift it up to be able to see your surroundings to change discs and so on. Or even an option to switch to the fixed view from the PS camera, so you can navigate around your room, and check that no actual demons have crossed over into our realm via the portal PSVR has opened up.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2016, 02:02:16 pm »

You can play fine with the TV off, muted, on an entirely other input such as watching a DVD in a separate player (not the PS4, obv)... the TV is separate, only the PS4 and the headset are 'occupied' with the thing you're running, the TV is just an optional display for spectators

Correct

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarįs Solo
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2016, 02:59:28 pm »
One thing that I think will open up possibilities for brand new types of games, is that VR absolutely excels with spatial extremes - the claustrophobic tight spaces and the vast open expanses.

You feel all hemmed in and tense when you're crammed into boxy rooms or corridors or tunnels. You feel a certain sense of awestruck freedom and exposed smallness (oo-er again) when looking out upon great distances in every direction. Teetering over the edge of a grand chasm, you feel it in your balls.

A skydiving or paratrooper mission would be so good on this, because when done right, falling is a very powerful sensation in VR, like jumping to great heights is. The jolt from freefalling at extreme speed to floating when your 'chute opens would be so thrilling and sensorily satisfying. Firing lasers at martians from a hot air balloon while Birkenhead burns beneath you... protect Anfield at all costs!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 03:01:44 pm by Haemoglobin »

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2016, 03:08:17 pm »
Or invading Parkgate

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarįs Solo
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2016, 03:21:14 pm »
Or invading Parkgate
:D

Sgt Scouse, they've... they've reached as far Blackpool... oh god... oh Christ... the illuminations are... coming to life... devouring people... FUCKING NUKE THE SHITHOLE, LID!

(Only messing, Blackpool's a whole hot mess of lovable trashy class)

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2016, 11:15:07 pm »

You defo getting one then, Macphisto?  :D
Yep. Always wanted a VR headset, so that means I'll also be buying a PS4 Pro for it. The cost of both is close to what a Vive or a Oculus is with their proprietary controllers anyway. Even if I were to try for a Vive, I'd still need to drop over a grand to upgrade my PC to play it. Personally, I just can't see how one of the more expensive sets would be worth spending that on anyway over this. Sure, the tracking might not be as finely tuned, or the room scale not as large, or the resolution not quit as good, but these things simply don't matter. When it comes to VR, immersion is the goal. This does the same job as the others, sans a few perks. All the niggles that currently exist with it can, and should be, fixed in the near future via firmware and probably some additional hardware for better tracking presence.

In fact, I'll be going ahead and buying this even without owning a PS4. That's what nephews are for.

One thing that I think will open up possibilities for brand new types of games, is that VR absolutely excels with spatial extremes - the claustrophobic tight spaces and the vast open expanses.

You feel all hemmed in and tense when you're crammed into boxy rooms or corridors or tunnels. You feel a certain sense of awestruck freedom and exposed smallness (oo-er again) when looking out upon great distances in every direction. Teetering over the edge of a grand chasm, you feel it in your balls.
This is one of the most crucial and standout impressions I took from it. Everything I tried, not one of them felt the same. Every single one felt like a unique experience, and it's something that is understated whenever I've been reading about impressions on VR over the course of a couple of years. The reason why each game feels 'new' even if it belongs to a specific genre is for the fact that you are there. It places you in a different scenario, a different situation where you're always reacting to your environment. This is something that is just impossible to replicate on a standard TV. Even if you were to play a horror game, for example, and then try out another horror game that is also in an 1st person perspective, it would feel completely different, so much so that the genre is also irrelevant. It's purely a situational thing, and it's the environment that does all the dazzling. It's completely untapped territory for video games. A gimmick this is not.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 11:25:48 pm by Macphisto80 »

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #69 on: November 2, 2016, 05:01:46 am »
I spend so long in there all on my bill when I do put it on (not often, so far I've only had chance to get it out like once a week - oo-er - but for more or less a full day at a time. It's a lot of bits & pieces to take out the box, set up, and then put back in the box again; I've perfected my neat pack-away technique now, but it's nothing like jumping on for a quick game of PES... and frequent heavy sessions will likely ruin your eyesight anyway!), my tele often turns itself off.

I haven't tried setting it up without involving the TV at all yet, because obviously you need a screen to see what you're doing before you slap the headset on, but I see no reason why you couldn't just unplug the TV HDMI entirely once you're all set. Someone will have to try it, see if it spazzes out - you plug the TV HDMI into the mini-PS4-looking processing unit, and the unit HDMI into the PS4.

One feature I think could be a little useful would be a camera view from the headset, because currently you need to lift it up to be able to see your surroundings to change discs and so on. Or even an option to switch to the fixed view from the PS camera, so you can navigate around your room, and check that no actual demons have crossed over into our realm via the portal PSVR has opened up.

doesn't need to be connected to a tv at all, you can put the ps4, processing unit & camera wherever you want, fire the ps4 up and wait a few seconds then turn the headset on, the headset won't power on during the initial boot so you need to give the ps4 long enough to get to the user select screen first

Edit: got it a bit wrong, the headset will power on without the ps4 being on, flashes a hdmi icon until it gets a signal then a USB icon until the ps4 has booted up

Think when I first tried it I had the headset on and was fumbling with the thingy and pressing the wrong button, ooooerrrrr no wonder my missus left me

Anyway all that matters is it works so you can play anywhere with a couple of leccy sockets
« Last Edit: November 2, 2016, 03:13:57 pm by FiSh77 »

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarįs Solo
« Reply #70 on: November 2, 2016, 11:38:42 am »
doesn't need to be connected to a tv at all, you can put the ps4, processing unit & camera wherever you want, fire the ps4 up and wait a few seconds then turn the headset on, the headset won't power on during the initial boot so you need to give the ps4 long enough to get to the user select screen first
Thought as much. I tend to always have a mess around on a few traditional games and stuff on the tele to get me in the mood before fully strapping in for a sesh, but having this confirmed should make it that bit more attractive for households with only one communal decent TV and such. Anywhere with just a reliable leccy outlet and you're away, if you're only arsed with singleplayer stuff.

I suppose you could use this as your PS4's screen all the time, if you don't mind eventually making yourself extremely shortsighted over time. The poky garden shed with a few extension sockets has never felt so exotic!  ;D

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: November 6, 2016, 03:28:56 am »
You bunch of gits :D

Had to buy one didn't I...

Absolutely amazing piece of kit. Born in 1966 I've been playing games all my life but this is incredible.

And I've only played a few of the demos. I've bought eve and worlds. Wish I'd bought the car game 'cause the demo was awesome and I don't like car games :)

I wear glasses and as above they do get pushed up a bit and it can be a little uncomfortable. But once I was in the game I didn't notice.

There are a couple of issues others may want to know. The earphones cable is too short. The instructions tell you to put the earphones in first but I found it was easier to put them in after I'd put the headset on.

The other issue that made me goto the Internet was the switch to turn the darn thing on. After reviewing the instructions I think it's there but there is a power button that must be pressed on the cable that has the input jack for the earphones.

Apart from that it's an amazing experience and although quite a lot of cash it's well worth it.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: November 6, 2016, 07:40:24 am »
You can use your own earphones too. I've got a pair of apple ones and they work fine.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: November 6, 2016, 08:23:44 am »
Just tried to play eve after spending sometime outside. Needs a 5 gig patch to work. Not happy at all
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #74 on: November 6, 2016, 08:41:41 am »
Just tried to play eve after spending sometime outside. Needs a 5 gig patch to work. Not happy at all

Yeah I picked it up for £30 still sealed on ebay, came yesterday then had to wait ages for the patch to download

Like it so far, shooting an enemy ship in your sights with the gatling guns while unleashing missiles on another that you're looking at is great, did some of the tutorials as well and liked the heavy ship where your guns aim at whatever you're looking at, works well

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #75 on: November 6, 2016, 08:45:26 am »

Good things come to those that wait... or not ... enjoy.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: November 8, 2016, 11:31:28 am »
Anyone know then this will be back on sale?

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #77 on: November 8, 2016, 12:19:57 pm »
Don't have one myself but my best mate does, played on the KITCHEN demo the other day, honestly nearly shat myself, actually it's on my instagram for all to see if you want... not even ashamed, it was genuinely scary!!

I also played on a few of his other demos, the diving one with the shark encounter was fantastic, the depth perception is what most impresses me to be honest, honestly didn't expect it to be as good as it is, I wouldn't fork out the money myself but I am seriously impressed.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: November 8, 2016, 04:43:35 pm »
Anyone know then this will be back on sale?
Been looking too, eh?

I can't find them anywhere. I'd an opportunity to click and collect one from Argos the other day and I didn't pull the trigger on it. Now I'm stuck.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: November 8, 2016, 06:24:29 pm »
Been looking too, eh?

I can't find them anywhere. I'd an opportunity to click and collect one from Argos the other day and I didn't pull the trigger on it. Now I'm stuck.

Yeah mate. Tried everywhere I can think of. Only places I can find them is Amazon and Ebay for well over £400 and I'm not paying that. Game suggested pre ordering and they'll contact me when they have them, but couldn't say when that would be.