Author Topic: The PC Gaming Thread  (Read 261682 times)

Offline Purdy

• Legacy Fan
  • Gobble gobble turkey
Re: The PC Gaming Thread
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2011, 08:22:51 pm »
hesbighesred is on 337 0.o.
I've gone from like 10 to 200 in less than a year, fucking steam sales.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2011, 08:25:19 pm »
I've gone from like 10 to 200 in less than a year, fucking steam sales.
evil aren't they? I haven't played a fair few of them either. There's some I haven't even installed. Criminal really, but then I see [insert vaguely interesting title here] for £2 and there goes 'add to cart' again.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2011, 08:26:20 pm »
do i win "gave the most money to steam" award, with my 183 games :)
Hahahaha, see above. Not even close mate!

Offline cim-pim-param

• cim-pim-param, chim-chim-chiroo
  • Legacy Fan
  • woOt
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2011, 08:30:14 pm »
Btw any of you use xfire?
To Be Or NoT To Be?! ravelizard
 http://www.thezeitgeistmovement.com/

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2011, 08:31:17 pm »
Have it on my old PC. Don't even remember what it does, so no.

Offline red_to_the_toe

• Kopite
  • I can't get no
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2011, 08:42:55 pm »

And I just bought 5 more from the halloween special link you posted.
All non-ravens are non-black.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2011, 08:44:13 pm »
It's a pretty old game but if you're into RPG's at all you should pickup Vampire TM: Bloodlines.  Resident Evil 5 and Devil May Cry 4 are also very good PC ports.

It's definitely worth having a look. I got it for next to nothing a couple of years ago and it was amazing. The only problem were the bugs, but the community took care of most of them making the game playable. However, I reached one part and the game kept crashing, so I never finished it... :(

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2011, 08:52:37 pm »

Holy fuck!

I have had my steam account for 8 years now and have a pitiful 44 games!

Offline Purdy

• Legacy Fan
  • Gobble gobble turkey
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2011, 09:08:44 pm »
Holy fuck!

I bet you enjoy most of your games much more than i do, less is more on steam to a certain extent to be honest, i've slowed down lately, hard to resist Vampire The Masquerade and maybe another STALKER game ><.
These deals the only halloween ones we are getting?

Offline Purdy

• Legacy Fan
  • Gobble gobble turkey
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2011, 09:09:48 pm »
evil aren't they? I haven't played a fair few of them either. There's some I haven't even installed. Criminal really, but then I see [insert vaguely interesting title here] for £2 and there goes 'add to cart' again.

How the fuck do you not have Counter Strike but bought shite like Fable 3 and Hunted :(

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2011, 09:14:38 pm »
counterstrike has always felt wrong to me, the movement or something, i could never get to liking it
STFU and agree with me.

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2011, 09:26:19 pm »

I do, currently using crossfire on a pair of different ATI HD 5770s on a 500w PSU. They more than meet my demands on a 1920*1080 res single monitor.  Will use this system till medium settings start to become sluggish. 
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2011, 09:26:52 pm »
It's definitely worth having a look. I got it for next to nothing a couple of years ago and it was amazing. The only problem were the bugs, but the community took care of most of them making the game playable. However, I reached one part and the game kept crashing, so I never finished it... :(
There is a community patch that, AFAIK, pretty much fixes the lot.

Change of subject:

~Syndicate.

I would like to rant about them remaking this as an FPS. Is nothing sacred? I mean, seriously?

Exactly what could an FPS Syndicate add to the Sci-Fi FPS genre? Anything interesting it could do has already been done better by S.T.A.L.K.E.R. It's just 'doing a Lucas' and raping a classic game, raping it 'till there's nothing left but a hollow shell and yet another rotting corpse where one of my childhood dreams used to nestle, snugly, innocently watching 'Space: Above and Beyond'.

At last count there were about 935 Billion identi-kit Sci-Fi FPS games. In 20 goddamn years, there has never been another top line game along the lines of Syndicate. Nothing. Not a sausage. The nearest I can think of is Dragon Age: Origins, and even that lost so much that I loved about party based RPGs - namely back in the day I used to be able to customise much more freely, and because the tech and money wasn't there to have generic voice acting ruining my sexy female NPCs by giving them all US accents I could just imagine character upon a blank slate. Something I could and still can do much better than the writing in all bar a select few games I've played - Deus Ex for example - and part of the joy of that was the way it still left a lot for me to fill in.

Anyway, back to Syndicate, why exactly wouldn't this game work? With today's graphics you could make an absolute, utter monster of a game. A sort of isometric, future GTA type thing with guns and carnage on a truly epic scale. Massive cities, a fully rotatable and zoomable camera. Maybe even implement a genius feature from Dungeon Keeper if you must have an FPS element - namely the ability to 'possess' one of your men and roam around in first person mode for greater control while your buddies are acting under the orders you gave them.

As much as I love games, and I do, I really, hugely do, it always depresses me that the gap between what games are capable of and what they actually do has grown bigger and bigger, and in the exact opposite direction to what I dreamed of as a kid.

Think about a game like Frontier: Elite 2.

There's you.

There's your ship.

There's the whole fucking universe.

Enjoy.

That ran on an Amiga, off a 512k floppy disk with 1mb of RAM. That's it. Most fucking shoelaces these days have more processing power then that, yet how many games even come close to attempting that kind of scope or freedom?

Instead of more genres, more imagination as the sheer possibilities become realisable, we get clone FPS after clone FPS, generic RTS games and generic RPGs.

Not that there's anything wrong with a good FPS or a good RTS or whatever, but where is the successor to, say, Descent?

Never played it that much but put me in some kind of ship, have me pilot that, let me control other ships from that, in underground tunnels or maybe a city or something.

Or Mechwarrior. I mean, FFS, why do I have to run around with a shotgun when I could be in a fucking 300 foot tall epic metal engine of death?

Anyone remember Walker back in the day? You towering over these tiny, lemming sized people that you massacred by the bucketload yet they still kept coming back...

Or Moonstone anyone? You are a knight, massacaring a brilliant variety of creatures in gory glory, and beasts so terrifying they could actually one shot kill you, as you shat yourself, before you figured out how to kill the bastards?

Every single game I've mentioned could be remade. Could be utterly and completely epic. Has ideas and scope that blow 99.9% of games out now out of the water.

Yet what gets made? Modern Fucking Borefare 12. Click on head to kill. Perks perks perks. If you haven't got the twitch reflexes of a speed-mainlining ADHD fucking spider then say goodbye to ever feeling like you're good at the game.

OK, OK, harsh on that game - a lot of the reason I dislike it is because I'm shite at it.

But come on, who's with me? You know I make sense. We live in an age where games could be almost anything, could do almost anything, could take those awesome, awesome ideas from the early days and make them SOAR.

Yet what's happening instead?

Syndicate. Remade. As a fucking FPS.

Pffffffft.

Praise be to Skyrim. Even if it has become simpler, more, urrgggh, 'accessible', at least it's devs get that side of gaming. An open world - and the freedom to go wherever your imagination can take you.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2011, 09:33:05 pm »
Syndicate. Gauss cannon. Nuff said
STFU and agree with me.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2011, 09:33:35 pm »
How the fuck do you not have Counter Strike but bought shite like Fable 3 and Hunted :(
Stupidity and realism.

Realism in that I will never be good enough at Counter-Strike to make it fun. It'll take me a long time with BF3 just to get to a level of not being shite.

Stupidity in that I thought there would be something really interesting about those games - the fantasy settings, the team play, the idea of going from small character to ruler. Shame really.

Hunted is more just, well, just not really good - though the idea has potential, but Fable is particularly irritating because there are aspects of a great game littered all over the place, destroyed not just because it presents almost literally no challenge whatsoever, but because all of the little sub-things you can do boil down to pressing one button for various lengths of time.

Also, inevitably, if you do buy a lot of games and are a bit of a sucker you are going to buy some utter shite along the way.

On the other hand, I also have the STALKER series and X-Terran Conflict. One game which manages to genuinely do something new and awesome with a stale and generic genre, and the other which gets close to Frontier's scope and sheer sense of wonder, only this time you can own a fleet of ships, and fly massive capital ships - then get into your little fighter, fly around, then dock in your own cap-ship and fly that. That's due another play actually. It's a shame that the UI is so dense and database-ish - it's a chore to play at times, though the setting and scope of it is absolutely incredible.

Well worth a look if anyone's into space opera type Sci-Fi, and has plenty of patience for a steep-learning curve and menu negotiation.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2011, 09:35:31 pm »
I do, currently using crossfire on a pair of different ATI HD 5770s on a 500w PSU. They more than meet my demands on a 1920*1080 res single monitor.  Will use this system till medium settings start to become sluggish. 
oh, that's what he meant by X-fire. Me so noob. hehehe.
Syndicate. Gauss cannon. Nuff said
Barbecuing a massive crowd of persuaded civvies had a lot of entertainment value too. I also loved the sniper rifle.

But you do make a compelling argument! ;D

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2011, 09:36:18 pm »
He should have said crossfire since xfire is obviously the game tracker jobbie
STFU and agree with me.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2011, 09:39:46 pm »
He should have said crossfire since xfire is obviously the game tracker jobbie
no worries. I should have guessed anyway, I don't think anyone uses the actual xfire anymore so why would he be asking?

I might well go crossfire this christmas if I treat myself to a 2nd 5870. Seems to be a lot more reliable these days, much better drivers for it and plenty of support from games.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2011, 09:40:59 pm »
i was talked into using xfire by a mate, after installing it i had to enquire what the point of it was when i already had steam, he was unable to provide an answer
STFU and agree with me.

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #99 on: October 27, 2011, 10:40:17 pm »
I haven't got crossfire as the only game that pushed my system to almost stall was the original Crysis at 1900x1200, everything else has been sweet as a nut. Just downloading Battlefield 3 so will have to see how that goes, but another ATI 5850 would cost the best part of £200 so I would probably be better off selling mine and getting a better single card, plus I think my mobo only runs 8x on the second PCI-E.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Purdy

• Legacy Fan
  • Gobble gobble turkey
« Reply #100 on: October 27, 2011, 11:08:03 pm »
Stupidity and realism.

Realism in that I will never be good enough at Counter-Strike to make it fun. It'll take me a long time with BF3 just to get to a level of not being shite.

Stupidity in that I thought there would be something really interesting about those games - the fantasy settings, the team play, the idea of going from small character to ruler. Shame really.

Hunted is more just, well, just not really good - though the idea has potential, but Fable is particularly irritating because there are aspects of a great game littered all over the place, destroyed not just because it presents almost literally no challenge whatsoever, but because all of the little sub-things you can do boil down to pressing one button for various lengths of time.

Also, inevitably, if you do buy a lot of games and are a bit of a sucker you are going to buy some utter shite along the way.

On the other hand, I also have the STALKER series and X-Terran Conflict. One game which manages to genuinely do something new and awesome with a stale and generic genre, and the other which gets close to Frontier's scope and sheer sense of wonder, only this time you can own a fleet of ships, and fly massive capital ships - then get into your little fighter, fly around, then dock in your own cap-ship and fly that. That's due another play actually. It's a shame that the UI is so dense and database-ish - it's a chore to play at times, though the setting and scope of it is absolutely incredible.

Well worth a look if anyone's into space opera type Sci-Fi, and has plenty of patience for a steep-learning curve and menu negotiation.

Been meaning to get into STALKER, got Chernobyl with complete mod and everything installed but just have not got round to it, played an hour or so, that first night at the train yard where all you have is a flash light and then suddenly start being shot at, scares the fuck out of me so bad.

Reminds me, i need to man the fuck up and play Amnesia.

Offline Purdy

• Legacy Fan
  • Gobble gobble turkey
« Reply #101 on: October 27, 2011, 11:08:33 pm »
i was talked into using xfire by a mate, after installing it i had to enquire what the point of it was when i already had steam, he was unable to provide an answer

xfire was pretty good around 2005 when there wasn't much else, pretty redundant now.

Offline cim-pim-param

• cim-pim-param, chim-chim-chiroo
  • Legacy Fan
  • woOt
« Reply #102 on: October 27, 2011, 11:19:17 pm »
I use it to broadcast what I play to people and see how many hours I';ve spent playing games instead of going out.
To Be Or NoT To Be?! ravelizard
 http://www.thezeitgeistmovement.com/

Offline Valore

• Why Don't You Come On Over
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Help Rafa, help us. Help Rafa... Help Us...
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2011, 02:03:06 am »
oh, that's what he meant by X-fire. Me so noob. hehehe.Barbecuing a massive crowd of persuaded civvies had a lot of entertainment value too. I also loved the sniper rifle.

But you do make a compelling argument! ;D

Actually, the most fun part was the huge maps for me, coupled with the system of buying tips and info as to banks to rob and targets of interest. The ludicrous weapons were just the cherry on top.
They beat better teams on the way, won in circumstances when other teams would have surrendered, were given the last rites and pronounced dead at the scene, before grabbing the attendant by the throat on the slab in the morgue, making everyone jump.

- Martin Samuel, after we beat Arsenal 4-2 in the second leg of the CL QF 2007-200

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2011, 07:15:28 am »
Actually, the most fun part was the huge maps for me, coupled with the system of buying tips and info as to banks to rob and targets of interest. The ludicrous weapons were just the cherry on top.
Pretty sure that was the sequel - Syndicate wars, with the two different factions. I never really played that one, it came out during the wilderness years were I was computer-less, along with a few other all time classics I missed out on first time like the first few command and conquers and Dungeon Keeper - though I played the shit out of the latter when I did get a PC. Fantastic game.
Been meaning to get into STALKER, got Chernobyl with complete mod and everything installed but just have not got round to it, played an hour or so, that first night at the train yard where all you have is a flash light and then suddenly start being shot at, scares the fuck out of me so bad.

Reminds me, i need to man the fuck up and play Amnesia.
The original STALKER is pretty much peerless when it comes to atmosphere, it was the first game since Moonstone way back when that actually made me jump and cry out in genuine fear.

I started Amnesia, gave it 15-20 minuites or so, and really need to play it again, though it really begs for lights off and headphones for total immersion. It was indeed very scary, being weaponless makes such a difference to your perception of danger.

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2011, 07:20:14 am »
Resident Evil was the worst for that, although I think that was on the original PS and I used to play with headphones early in morning after working nights. Never played anymore games like that since, did me bleeding head in jumping around like scared cat. Oblivion was bad enough when you spun round to find a creature you didn't know was there during a quiet moment, I just hate being startled and is probably why I never watched a horror movie for over 20 years.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2011, 07:26:31 am »
Resident Evil was the worst for that, although I think that was on the original PS and I used to play with headphones early in morning after working nights. Never played anymore games like that since, did me bleeding head in jumping around like scared cat. Oblivion was bad enough when you spun round to find a creature you didn't know was there during a quiet moment, I just hate being startled and is probably why I never watched a horror movie for over 20 years.
Thing is with STALKER is I can only remember one moment - the bit that scared the shit out of me - that was a 'startle' moment. Most of the effect comes from a genuinely unsettling but somehow familiar atmosphere. It helps that it's rooted in the real world - wondering around with Chernobyl in the distance really kind of seeps into your bones a bit, as do the wierd and horrible creatures in the place. You get genuinely nervous if you have to go underground, or go out at night. Neither of the sequels nail that feeling like STALKER does. A very unique game. I also love that all the NPC chatter is in Russian. It's the only game that's ever made me go and hunt down the source material - a book called 'roadside picnic', and also a film of the same name, even if I haven't watched it yet. The film's available free now I think, it's on google video or something.

I've never played any of the Resident Evils, there's a few have passed me buy - the Tomb Raider games and Metal Gear Solid also spring to mind.

Offline Ferg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: October 28, 2011, 08:01:22 pm »
Anyone else played BF3 yet?
I've just finished the campaign on max settings with my piddly GTX460 and Q6600, and it didn't do a bad job. The background sound dropped out quite a bit, but not too bad though.
My temps was in the 60's though, so I might have to lower the settings when I start on the multiplayer.
Who wouldn't want to kick someone called Ferguson?
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
A big heart has space for everyone.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2011, 09:00:45 pm »
Anyone else played BF3 yet?
I've just finished the campaign on max settings with my piddly GTX460 and Q6600, and it didn't do a bad job. The background sound dropped out quite a bit, but not too bad though.
My temps was in the 60's though, so I might have to lower the settings when I start on the multiplayer.
Doubt I'll even try the campaign to be honest. Really not a big fan of most linear FPS games, never really have been. Even Doom left me pretty cold when near when it first came out, and it was revolutionary then.

The multiplayer, on the other hand...

It'd be good to get some squads together from this thread, I really want to play semi-regularly with the sameish people. Makes such a massive difference. I'll post my ID on here when I get it, which will hopefully be tomorrow.

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2011, 12:39:44 am »
It'd be good to get some squads together from this thread, I really want to play semi-regularly with the sameish people. Makes such a massive difference. I'll post my ID on here when I get it, which will hopefully be tomorrow.

Same here, hoping mine will arrive tomorrow, but I want to play the campaign first to get a feel for the controls, vehicles before I try the multiplayer.  Heard it's pretty short so I shouldn't be too long!

Will post my PC ID here soon.

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2011, 12:58:26 am »
Anyone else use their SSD for games?

Gonna install Bf3 on my Vertex 3 120gb and see how things go.  Got Crysis 2 and Deus Ex, but apart from the initial quicker load times, can't say how they benefit in game performance at all...

Offline red_to_the_toe

• Kopite
  • I can't get no
« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2011, 03:17:41 am »

Gonna install Bf3 on my Vertex 3 120gb and see how things go.  Got Crysis 2 and Deus Ex, but apart from the initial quicker load times, can't say how they benefit in game performance at all...

Had any problems with that OCZ drive? The prices are great, but only recently have the firmware updates come out to fix the Sandforce controller bugs, so I've been wary. Almost bought a crucial m4, but I just can't do it. Got a wedding to pay for. 200 for a drive? just to load faster?
All non-ravens are non-black.

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2011, 05:52:51 am »

I do.
I'm also a bit disappointed by the added performance.
I had planned to use it for the operating system + the latest game I'm playing.
But to tell you the truth, I don't think it matters that much, I don't see much improvement, the games run just as well from my normal HD.
I think it helps a bit with the high definition texture loads on RAGE, but I am not sure.

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: October 29, 2011, 11:36:06 am »
180 of them are shite

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: October 29, 2011, 12:17:27 pm »
180 of them are shite

Nah. Only about 150 of them ;D
STFU and agree with me.

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2011, 12:31:01 pm »
Had any problems with that OCZ drive? The prices are great, but only recently have the firmware updates come out to fix the Sandforce controller bugs, so I've been wary. Almost bought a crucial m4, but I just can't do it. Got a wedding to pay for. 200 for a drive? just to load faster?

Yeah they're expensive, and I probably should've got the agility version which is around 320mb/s vs my 550 mb/s read/write.  Oh well at least it's somewhat future-proof.  Nope I've never had any problems with it. I think earlier versions are problematic if you don't update the firmware.  Just make sure you download the OCZ toolkit and update to the latest fw before you install the OS on it.  Fantastic boot times, 10 seconds. 

A good thing i've noticed about games loaded onto the SSD, is if you need to alt-tab out to check somethings it's almost instant, on the HDD you have that horrible lag/wait time.  Good if you need to adjust ventrilo/skype etc for online sessions.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: October 29, 2011, 12:32:44 pm »
My ocz drive died the day before I got the email to update the firmware. Got it replaced free
STFU and agree with me.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: October 29, 2011, 12:33:30 pm »
Holy fuck!

It's actually more like 258 but still pretty grim hehehe.

Re: SSDs, do you guys think it's worth it for booting? I'm thinking about getting one just for windows, though I could do with a better hard drive too actually, it's a bottleneck on my system atm, and they're so cheap. Maybe for christmas.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 12:35:04 pm by hesbighesred »

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: October 29, 2011, 12:34:37 pm »
It's the bundles they get you on
STFU and agree with me.

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #119 on: October 29, 2011, 12:42:11 pm »
Re: SSDs, do you guys think it's worth it for booting?

I'd buy a ssd if it was soley to speed up the boot times.  They're criminal on a HDD.