Author Topic: The Night Of - New HBO Miniseries - Use Spoiler Tags  (Read 15683 times)

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
Re: The Night Of - New HBO Miniseries - Use Spoiler Tags
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2016, 05:41:30 pm »
What day are new episdoes out? I just burned through 3 episodes and need another hit.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 01:32:01 pm by bobadicious »
Football is a lie

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2016, 12:50:59 pm »
I've watched one so far and would highly recommend it if anyone is uncertain whether to have a dabble :)

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2016, 03:37:55 pm »
What day are new episdoes out? I just burned through 3 episodes and need another hit.

Sunday Nights it airs on HBO in the US.

I usually grab it from the usual places on Monday afternoon ready for Monday night viewing. :)

I see its starting on Sky Atlantic very soon.

Online robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #83 on: August 1, 2016, 03:04:48 pm »
This is coming along nicely. It's a shame one has to wait another week for next episode. Great entertainment with great acting and interesting plot enough to keep the tension till the finale.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: August 1, 2016, 04:59:26 pm »
Good this but hard not having it to binge in one go. Love all the stuff about Stone's feet!
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline gary75

• Despite all his care, he suffers from a sticky ring.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #85 on: August 1, 2016, 06:44:52 pm »
Yeah, have got that used to binge watching (well an episode a night) other shows that the week drags like hell when you are waiting for next episode.
Really enjoying this and I hope that the Columbo style lawyer gets his day in court.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: August 1, 2016, 07:23:09 pm »
This episode was all about Naz. Great performance.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #87 on: August 1, 2016, 11:44:36 pm »
Brilliant.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: August 2, 2016, 08:34:01 am »
Its really good, cant wait to next week to see how Johns foot treatment is coming on. The subplot about the kid in jail aint too bad neever  ;)
Football is a lie

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: August 2, 2016, 09:07:16 am »
you got ipt?

Yes but I got cream off the doctor for it.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #90 on: August 2, 2016, 10:42:08 am »
This episode was all about Naz. Great performance.

Yeah. He has been top notch throughout the series so far. Great job depicting the distress and how lost he is in there.

Apart from the 1st episode this has been a focus on character series and we've had had very good performances so far. Although I generally liked the last two episodes (they had good moments in bits), I found the latest one superior to them.

Yes but I got cream off the doctor for it.

Get some mayo. Works wonders.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: August 2, 2016, 05:29:44 pm »
Really enjoyed the last episode.

Spoiler
It seems Naz is starting to see that he's surrounded by sharks and unlikely to find any good people who genuinely want what's best for him, all he can do is at least align himself with the people who are capable of offering something and try to offer something in return. He's obviously a smart guy but incredibly naive, and I get the impression he's gonna improve considerably in that area in the coming episodes.

It did bug me that he never asked the guy in the bed next to him why he was being so helpful, it was clear early on that Naz has more in common with his niece's killer than with him (assuming guilt), which threw up alarm bells for me immediately. He's had a little time to acclimate now and is starting to develop a bit more intuition, so it was a surprise to see him fail to react sooner (or at least kick that cup of water in the guys face as soon as he brought the oil out).
[close]

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #92 on: August 2, 2016, 06:26:27 pm »
I really really like this but I'm hoping it delves more into the investigative side in the coming episodes.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: August 2, 2016, 07:40:24 pm »
I really really like this but I'm hoping it delves more into the investigative side in the coming episodes.
Same, hopefully there's a great plot to unravel with a few twists. Half way through now and its mostly chatting & scratching since Ep1 :)

Enjoying it though.

Offline Mactavish

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #94 on: August 2, 2016, 08:11:26 pm »
Same, hopefully there's a great plot to unravel with a few twists. Half way through now and its mostly chatting & scratching since Ep1 :)

Enjoying it though.

Agree with you here. Very good but needs to kick on now.

Riz Ahmed is fantastic. Seen something in him in the Plan B directed movie 'Ill Manors' few years back.

Very talented lad and this from him is complete genius:

https://youtu.be/stQFwOKbDIg

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: August 8, 2016, 05:46:05 am »
Such a great episode. Gonna watch it again tonight.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2016, 01:25:14 am »
Watching Ep5 now, not a huge thing but did anyone else find it weird when

Spoiler
The young Asian lawyer asked what Ketamine was. Like, she seems like a pretty educated girl and it's New York so not exactly squeaky clean. Was fairly surprised at that.
[close]
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2016, 01:32:44 am »
Watching Ep5 now, not a huge thing but did anyone else find it weird when

Spoiler
The young Asian lawyer asked what Ketamine was. Like, she seems like a pretty educated girl and it's New York so not exactly squeaky clean. Was fairly surprised at that.
[close]

First time I've heard it myself, so I wasn't surprised she asked.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2016, 11:03:52 am »
Really hating not being able to see the next episode instantly.

Developing nicely. Excellent show.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2016, 10:03:30 am »
2 episodes in. Compelling stuff. Hbo are the best ;D

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2016, 01:46:18 pm »
episode 6

Spoiler
Not sure how they're gonna wrap this up in 2 eps. The Hearse driver was creepy as fuck and it was a great scene with him and Chandra (i think that's her name). Now we know the step dad has a motive for the murder too. Then there's still that cliffhanger at the end of last episode with Duane.

A lot of talk about how nothing has been said about why Nas didn't have a speck of blood on him after leaving the house which I'm surprised hasn't been brought up.

Had to laugh at John Stone and the scene with him in the support group. Smugly sitting there with shoes on, with everyone else staring in awe.

Nas has had a rapid growth in this series. I suppose that's expected when a series is just 8 eps. Smoking coke, getting tattooed etc. All this help from Freddy, I wonder if he's going to be under his thumb if he does get out

[close]

Been on my mind for a while, but anyone think this series is like a True Detective replacement, or something along those lines. Mini series, with high production values, some big names involved (Gandolfini producer, Omar and Brody from the wire), quite dark in tone and atmosphere. Both obviously being great. Plus, True Detective might not come back.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2016, 03:46:02 pm »
episode 6

Spoiler
Not sure how they're gonna wrap this up in 2 eps. The Hearse driver was creepy as fuck and it was a great scene with him and Chandra (i think that's her name). Now we know the step dad has a motive for the murder too. Then there's still that cliffhanger at the end of last episode with Duane.

A lot of talk about how nothing has been said about why Nas didn't have a speck of blood on him after leaving the house which I'm surprised hasn't been brought up.

Had to laugh at John Stone and the scene with him in the support group. Smugly sitting there with shoes on, with everyone else staring in awe.

Nas has had a rapid growth in this series. I suppose that's expected when a series is just 8 eps. Smoking coke, getting tattooed etc. All this help from Freddy, I wonder if he's going to be under his thumb if he does get out

[close]

Been on my mind for a while, but anyone think this series is like a True Detective replacement, or something along those lines. Mini series, with high production values, some big names involved (Gandolfini producer, Omar and Brody from the wire), quite dark in tone and atmosphere. Both obviously being great. Plus, True Detective might not come back.

No, things happen in True Detective.   ;D
:D

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2016, 04:33:08 pm »
Think the lawyer is best character in it.... Starting to feel less sympathy for Nas.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2016, 06:55:17 pm »
I like the show but it is unnecessarily slow. It will be a show that I will definitely give a mark above 7/10 even if it is this slow, but when I started watching, I thought 8 episodes is too short for such a quality storytelling and such an interesting storyline. It turns out, 8 episodes may have been too much.

I am still OK with slow burners, but if things go way too fast in the last 2 episodes, I will be disappointed. Instead of rushing, they could have made other episodes a bit more eventful.

Offline RedPat

• Legacy Fan
  • Kenny Godglish
« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2016, 08:12:29 pm »
This is proper viewing up there with Bbcs Line of Duty.
Kenny Godglish

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2016, 12:15:00 am »
I like the show but it is unnecessarily slow. It will be a show that I will definitely give a mark above 7/10 even if it is this slow, but when I started watching, I thought 8 episodes is too short for such a quality storytelling and such an interesting storyline. It turns out, 8 episodes may have been too much.

I am still OK with slow burners, but if things go way too fast in the last 2 episodes, I will be disappointed. Instead of rushing, they could have made other episodes a bit more eventful.

I agreed with you when you said the first few episodes of Preacher were too slow, but I think this has had plenty going on. The case isn't moving quickly but it's engrossing nonetheless, similar to True Detective (season one of course).

The one thing that's a little frustrating is that because of the first episode, we the viewers know too much. We (I) want the characters to catch up and learn everything that we do, but that might never actually happen and it's irritating.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2016, 05:17:10 am »
I agreed with you when you said the first few episodes of Preacher were too slow, but I think this has had plenty going on. The case isn't moving quickly but it's engrossing nonetheless, similar to True Detective (season one of course).

The one thing that's a little frustrating is that because of the first episode, we the viewers know too much. We (I) want the characters to catch up and learn everything that we do, but that might never actually happen and it's irritating.
Like some others on here, if I draw a trajectory based on the pace of the episodes so far, it is very hard to imagine that this show reaches any logical conclusion in just two episodes without a remarkable change in the pace.

Anyway, enjoying the show very much. Hoping for a great ending.

Offline Shabby14

• Anny Roader
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2016, 12:34:06 pm »
Can't find part 7 in the usual places?

Offline TheoRacle

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC Supporter
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2016, 12:40:19 pm »
Just out now - check again

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2016, 11:31:30 pm »
It was always going to be tough to maintain the heights of the first episode. Naturally, seeing the night of the murder was always going to be the most intriguing part. I have to say though that the follow up episodes have been quite disappointing personally.

I thought this was set up to be a comprehensive, ultra-realistic procedural following the case from the start all the way through to the conclusion of the court case with realism over dramatic tropes. And to be fair, I think the first episode deliberately painted that impression. Since then though, it's picked up some silly and played out habits, and unrealistic oddities added to spice up episodes. The prison scenes especially seem unoriginal and forced.

I'm being ultra-critical here, and I know it, but only because I really like this and thought it was a great idea (albeit lifted from british tv). The production values are great and the acting has been of a high standard too. The script has been limited though, which would have been fine if they'd committed to realistic if a little bland dialogue. Unfortunately it seems a little in between that and occasional poetically licensed directness.

I'm just a bit disappointed it hasn't tried anything new or expansive at all, after being so well resourced and after such a promising start.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2016, 05:09:52 am »
^Agree that the show promised much more than it delivered. It is still comfortably one of the better shows out there as production values and acting are superb. But I have been constantly disappointed in the past 2-3 episodes. I am expecting a 10/10, but what I see is below that. There is something in each episode that just doesn't make it a 10/10. And it is disappointing, because this show could have been great, but as it is, it is just a good one.

Something tells me that the show will end with a cliffhanger. Otherwise, I don't see how they can fit everything in just 1 last episode without rushing.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2016, 09:29:48 am »
Was a good episode and has left me the feeling there are more episodes left, not just one for the end.
Spoiler
How out of character was that kiss from Nasir's lawyer?
[close]

Can't disagree much with Classycara on this. First episode was excellent and created many expectations and while I enjoyed most of what I saw in the ones that followed, I didn't love them either. Like something was missing. As soon as 2nd and 3rd episode finished, I realised that the main attraction was what happened in the 1st and somewhat adjusted my expectations.

Some things could have been avoided like dwelling endlessly on his feet and the cat. They were put there just to fill time. Of course there is one episode left so it may show there was a deeper meaning for them both [emoji3]
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:35:47 am by Yiannis »

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2016, 11:01:23 am »
Some things could have been avoided like dwelling endlessly on his feet and the cat.

What happens to the cat is the most interesting about the show.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline Saul Goodman

• Superfluous apostrophe's are us
  • Legacy Fan
  • Better call Saul!
    • Better Call Saul.
« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2016, 10:14:19 pm »
It was always going to be tough to maintain the heights of the first episode. Naturally, seeing the night of the murder was always going to be the most intriguing part. I have to say though that the follow up episodes have been quite disappointing personally.

I thought this was set up to be a comprehensive, ultra-realistic procedural following the case from the start all the way through to the conclusion of the court case with realism over dramatic tropes. And to be fair, I think the first episode deliberately painted that impression. Since then though, it's picked up some silly and played out habits, and unrealistic oddities added to spice up episodes. The prison scenes especially seem unoriginal and forced.

I'm being ultra-critical here, and I know it, but only because I really like this and thought it was a great idea (albeit lifted from british tv). The production values are great and the acting has been of a high standard too. The script has been limited though, which would have been fine if they'd committed to realistic if a little bland dialogue. Unfortunately it seems a little in between that and occasional poetically licensed directness.

I'm just a bit disappointed it hasn't tried anything new or expansive at all, after being so well resourced and after such a promising start.

Agree with most of this post. I think people are hanging there hat on this series purely because the setup and first episode were so good. Best opening to a series I have seen in years but it hasn't fulfilled that potential in any shape or form. The jail stuff and Nas has just become odd viewing. His motivations, actions etc are just plain weird and often seem completely conflicting. I have no doubt that this will lead to some big reveal in the future that is suppose to explain away all of this but that moment will be an eyes in the air rather than an AHA moment as only some form of psychosis could explain him. I have a huge soft spot for Turtorro's character but the rest of it has just gotten steadily worse and more and more on my nerves.

Online robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2016, 12:59:12 am »
Spoiler
I can't actually believe that lawyer kissed Naz. I mean that was too stupid from the writers.
[close]
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #115 on: August 24, 2016, 10:10:16 am »
Spoiler
I can't actually believe that lawyer kissed Naz. I mean that was too stupid from the writers.
[close]

Spoiler
Not anything like the tone of the series we've seen so far and the fact that she is her lawyer.

Also have I missed something? I had a guy on another forum telling me that it was a obvious she had taken a liking on Nasir during the previous episodes. Was it that obvious? I can't remember.
[close]

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2016, 11:08:11 am »
Spoiler
Not anything like the tone of the series we've seen so far and the fact that she is her lawyer.

Also have I missed something? I had a guy on another forum telling me that it was a obvious she had taken a liking on Nasir during the previous episodes. Was it that obvious? I can't remember.
[close]

Spoiler
they showed her drinking because her boyfriend broke up with her, and threw in some doughy eyes. was some rather lame exposition.
[close]

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #117 on: August 24, 2016, 11:10:47 am »
Spoiler
they showed her drinking because her boyfriend broke up with her, and threw in some doughy eyes. was some rather lame exposition.
[close]

Wasn't that with Torturo though?

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2016, 12:26:53 pm »
Wasn't that with Torturo though?
Spoiler
There was the phone call too which kind of hinted it. I think it was meant to show that she was just lonely and wanted some affection. Didn't get the point myself though.
[close]
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2016, 09:02:59 pm »

Yep, although I've really enjoyed it, that's all very fair mate. Each week I've had to keep convincing a lad in work "it will all unravel cleverly soon" :)

Thought some of the filming was great from the star also.

Agree on all subsequent posts in the thread also.