Author Topic: The Leftovers  (Read 22021 times)

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Re: The Leftovers
« Reply #200 on: October 16, 2017, 06:09:59 pm »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #201 on: October 16, 2017, 06:11:45 pm »
The first season was a bit of a slog, but for some reason I kept watching it and it did improve. Overall, I'd say it's worth a watch if you have nothing better to do. Probably give it a 6.5/10.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: October 16, 2017, 06:45:50 pm »
The first season was a bit of a slog, but for some reason I kept watching it and it did improve. Overall, I'd say it's worth a watch if you have nothing better to do. Probably give it a 6.5/10.

I'd probably rate it higher but this is about right. Just bear in mind nothing at all will ever be answered, so don't worry about what happens in the plot just enjoy the journey.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #203 on: October 16, 2017, 08:06:55 pm »
Ooh mixed bag.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #204 on: October 16, 2017, 08:36:09 pm »
First series is rather grim and depressing in overall tone. There are some very funny bits, but they are few and far between. The last 2 series are a lot more fun and far easier viewing.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: February 25, 2021, 05:50:08 am »
Bump. Just watched all three seasons after someone recommending it to me. Absolutely loved all of it, the characters, storylines and general craziness. It has been a while since I have invested so much in the characters.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #206 on: February 25, 2021, 09:47:00 am »
Just read this thread back and remembered just how mental this show was - can't believe the first season was nearly 7 years ago! :o
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #207 on: February 27, 2021, 09:51:29 pm »
One of the great tv shows this century.

Some absolute bat crazy episodes and some emotional rollercoaster ones.

Ended far to soon sadly, but at least we got a good ending.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline buttersstotch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: February 28, 2021, 12:52:03 am »
The first season is a bit of a slog but after that it is so good.

I genuinely think International Assasin in Season 2 is one of the best TV episodes I've ever seen. That is definitely the highlight of the series.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: February 28, 2021, 05:58:24 am »
It’s up there with the greats, easily the best thing Lindelof has been involved in and brilliantly cast, every part is just spot on, Carrie Coon still stands out though.

I’ve only watched it once, its so emotionally draining I’m not sure I can watch it a second time.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: February 28, 2021, 03:17:49 pm »
Started watching this a few weeks ago, just up to the last episode in season 2.

It is one of the strangest and compulsive shows we have watched. Every episode in the second season is like a 60 minute movie in its own right.

The music is spot on too.

Offline Elisha S

• talkin' 'bout my g-g-generation...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #211 on: February 28, 2021, 03:28:34 pm »
A tv masterpiece. Carrie Coon was incredible. I believed every word she said in that final scene.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: July 19, 2021, 10:20:56 am »
Just downloaded season 1. This good?

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: July 19, 2021, 10:50:54 am »
Just downloaded season 1. This good?

Epic. I only came across it after recommendations on here during last years lockdown. Now ranks up there with one of the best shows I've seen.

A truely unique story that drags you emotionally in every direction. Holy Wayne is fascinating character.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: July 19, 2021, 02:51:44 pm »
It’s up there with the greats, easily the best thing Lindelof has been involved in and brilliantly cast, every part is just spot on, Carrie Coon still stands out though.

I’ve only watched it once, its so emotionally draining I’m not sure I can watch it a second time.
Same.

I keep seeing the boxset on SKY and never feel the need to watch it again.

Stuff like GoT, The Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire i always end up watching again on the boxsets.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: July 19, 2021, 05:44:34 pm »
Epic. I only came across it after recommendations on here during last years lockdown. Now ranks up there with one of the best shows I've seen.

A truely unique story that drags you emotionally in every direction. Holy Wayne is fascinating character.

The scene where Nora meets Wayne is probably one of the most incredible scenes in television. Just amazing all round.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: July 22, 2021, 03:27:43 pm »

Thank you. Just watched a few episodes yet. The priest character (Eccleston) won $160k.

Just trying to figure out what's going on ;D

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: August 12, 2021, 11:16:26 am »
Finished it :(

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: August 12, 2021, 12:36:37 pm »
Binged this a couple of weeks ago. Not sure what to think of it to be honest. Really great acting, very intriguing premise but for some reason I kept feeling like the show was either brilliant or just plain crazy towards the end. The last scene was tremendous though and really well done.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: August 12, 2021, 12:51:09 pm »
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: August 12, 2021, 01:26:45 pm »
It’s in my top four of all time. The Wire, Twin Peaks, Deadwood, The Leftovers. It actually made me feel emotional without really knowing why. It’s genius.  Carrie Coon and Justin Theroux were just exceptional.

Still don’t want to watch it again though. Too draining.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: August 12, 2021, 11:09:53 pm »
And?
I loved it. Was draining at times & couldn't watch it again probably but cast were excellent. Nora in particular.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: August 13, 2021, 10:57:26 am »
It's a world away from The Leftovers, but Carrie Coon is in a film called The Nest, she's absolutely outstanding in it.  She's also married to Tracy Letts who wrote the plays of Bug and Killer Joe and their subsequent screenplays for Friedkin.

I'm going to watch The Leftovers again, just have to get the prozac in first.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #223 on: August 13, 2021, 03:39:08 pm »
Finally got around to this recently, and it's impressive stuff so far. Just watched the first episode of the second series last night actually, think it's set up to be a change of pace and scenery this time around. Cast is brilliant, and it's very dark at times.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #224 on: September 8, 2021, 03:32:12 pm »
Just finished it. What a crazy ride that was. Overall, I really liked it. Can definitely see why it's been one of the most acclaimed series of this century. There's some classic HBO and Lindelof fare spread throughout  ;D - It's short and probably for the better that way, if it'd ran twice as long it probably would have ended up a massive mess, but I was still left wanting more which isn't a bad sign.

For me it was at it's best in the first two seasons. I liked the third a lot, some spectacular episodes but I think it was a level below. I'm sure a lot of this is because it's only eight episodes, and you could really feel stuff squeezed in or completely ignored. As I say, I did enjoy the last season, but I couldn't really get behind the direction of it. The change of setting never done it for me, and I'd be lying if I didn't feel a bit disappointed at how the last couple of episodes played out. That said, I did feel as though I'd end up somewhat underwhelmed when they move out of Miracle. One thing that really made it what it was for me was the setting of the first couple of seasons in New York and Texas.

Spoiler
More in depth on that point, was there anybody who just didn't like the whole going to Australia stuff - and in general the idea of the last season being all about the lead up to the seventh anniversary and the supposed apocalypse. I felt the whole way through the last episodes that I'd missed something. What made that anniversary so important, how did they know there was going to be this apocalyptic event?

I just don't feel like they delivered on the apocalypse storyline front at all. It almost felt like a bit of a waste, even if there is some absolute brilliance in the last season throughout. The climax to some of the characters stories felt really disappointing, too. Nora especially. Also, what was going on with Laurie? Thought I was losing my mind when she was alive in the end.
[close]

Have loads more to say on that but will hold off for now. The cast is one of the best I've ever seen. Carrie Coon is unbelievable. Seen her in quite a few things before this but this is her best ever role, and Nora is a TV character I'll never forget, just a brilliant portrayal. So many great actors. Theroux turned a character who had the potential to be boring with the wrong actor into a gripping one. Eccleston was absolutely superb from start to last. Great stuff.

Was reading through this thread to see what people made of it. My only take away is shame on whoever it was on the first page who said Liv Tyler had aged badly  ;D
« Last Edit: September 8, 2021, 03:39:20 pm by disgraced cake »
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: November 5, 2021, 12:21:23 am »
Just finished it. What a crazy ride that was. Overall, I really liked it. Can definitely see why it's been one of the most acclaimed series of this century. There's some classic HBO and Lindelof fare spread throughout  ;D - It's short and probably for the better that way, if it'd ran twice as long it probably would have ended up a massive mess, but I was still left wanting more which isn't a bad sign.

For me it was at it's best in the first two seasons. I liked the third a lot, some spectacular episodes but I think it was a level below. I'm sure a lot of this is because it's only eight episodes, and you could really feel stuff squeezed in or completely ignored. As I say, I did enjoy the last season, but I couldn't really get behind the direction of it. The change of setting never done it for me, and I'd be lying if I didn't feel a bit disappointed at how the last couple of episodes played out. That said, I did feel as though I'd end up somewhat underwhelmed when they move out of Miracle. One thing that really made it what it was for me was the setting of the first couple of seasons in New York and Texas.

Spoiler
More in depth on that point, was there anybody who just didn't like the whole going to Australia stuff - and in general the idea of the last season being all about the lead up to the seventh anniversary and the supposed apocalypse. I felt the whole way through the last episodes that I'd missed something. What made that anniversary so important, how did they know there was going to be this apocalyptic event?

I just don't feel like they delivered on the apocalypse storyline front at all. It almost felt like a bit of a waste, even if there is some absolute brilliance in the last season throughout. The climax to some of the characters stories felt really disappointing, too. Nora especially. Also, what was going on with Laurie? Thought I was losing my mind when she was alive in the end.
[close]

Have loads more to say on that but will hold off for now. The cast is one of the best I've ever seen. Carrie Coon is unbelievable. Seen her in quite a few things before this but this is her best ever role, and Nora is a TV character I'll never forget, just a brilliant portrayal. So many great actors. Theroux turned a character who had the potential to be boring with the wrong actor into a gripping one. Eccleston was absolutely superb from start to last. Great stuff.

Was reading through this thread to see what people made of it. My only take away is shame on whoever it was on the first page who said Liv Tyler had aged badly  ;D

I have watched it now and on the spoilered point

Spoiler
the whole last season is just examining how people are mentally coping with whatever. Kevin Jr with dying and coming back to life, Nora with losing her family, Matt with being terminally ill, and Kevin Sr having voices in his head. They all have different ways of coping (Kevin dying at any chance given, Matt with religion, Kevin Sr with his world saving quest, and Nora with this machine. And ultimately, they all one by one face their reasoning and come to terms with their issues truthfully. Matt loses his faith, Kevin Sr realise the rain isn't the apocalypse, Kevin Jr destroys limbo so he can never go back, and imo Nora doesn't use the machine and makes a story to convince herself her family moved on happily.

The point of the apocalypse stuff is kinda based on the world's collective coping mechanism. That everyone will return at the start, and then by the 7 year anniversary, that something is going to happen, an apocalypse or a return or whatever. Ultimately it is just something everyone has convinced themselves off to avoid confronting the truth that people just disappeared, are not coming back, and the world keeps on going. It's why in the finale by Kevin's comments the world just gradually went back to normal and people came to terms with it. Jarden is no longer called Miracle by anyone, none of that fever is there anymore. The world moved on for real this time

For whatever reason, the world, or a number of people, were just ready to convince themselves the 7th anniversary was important to avoid the problem that it isn't, that none of it is important, 120 million people just left and they have to actually deal with that.
[close]