Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2740613 times)

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #71800 on: March 17, 2024, 12:28:55 am »
I like Fields, think he's talented but raw, & has not been helped that the Bears are a dysfunctional organisation, plus the Steelers have give up peanuts to sign him.

I'm just not sure he's good enough at actually throwing the ball. which is kind of important.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #71801 on: March 17, 2024, 12:39:32 am »
I'm just not sure he's good enough at actually throwing the ball. which is kind of important.

I think he's an improvement on last seasons Steelers QB corp, it cost the Steelers a conditional 2025 6th round pick [apparently the Steelers have 3, 7 round draft picks in 2025], rising to 4th round pick depending on how many games Fields plays in 2024, handy backup to Wilson, Steelers basically gave up nothing for Wilson & Fields.

What a wild week it's been in trades & free agency.
#Sausages

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #71802 on: March 17, 2024, 12:50:19 am »
I think he's an improvement on last seasons Steelers QB corp, it cost the Steelers a conditional 2025 6th round pick [apparently the Steelers have 3, 7 round draft picks in 2025], rising to 4th round pick depending on how many games Fields plays in 2024, handy backup to Wilson, Steelers basically gave up nothing for Wilson & Fields.

What a wild week it's been in trades & free agency.

I'm sure that's true, but I can't help but wonder what the point is. is justin fields or 2024 russell wilson going to win you a super bowl?

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #71803 on: March 17, 2024, 12:53:05 am »
I'm sure that's true, but I can't help but wonder what the point is. is justin fields or 2024 russell wilson going to win you a super bowl?

Albert Breer
@AlbertBreer
·
Follow
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was upfront with Justin Fields—told him that Russell Wilson is the starter, and Fields will work from there. Fields has told people he’s excited for the new beginning.

Tomlin’s connections at Ohio State run deep, so that didn’t hurt.
#Sausages

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71804 on: March 17, 2024, 01:44:52 am »

He was actually okay at that part of the game, his main failing was more on the decision-making side of things.

Shame he didn't work out, but a bigger shame that at least some of the compensation for him isn't in this draft where the Bears are light on picks.

Offline Vote For Pedro

• "Kay-bye!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71805 on: March 17, 2024, 09:54:08 am »
He was actually okay at that part of the game, his main failing was more on the decision-making side of things.

Shame he didn't work out, but a bigger shame that at least some of the compensation for him isn't in this draft where the Bears are light on picks.
And he just didn't seem to be improving in that respect - he was an incredibly frustrating player to watch a lot of the time. Still, it feels like the Bears are in a better position for a rookie QB now than they have been in a long time, so hopefully this latest role of the dice will work out.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #71806 on: March 17, 2024, 10:18:03 am »

I didn't mean the actual mechanics, I don't really know enough to be able to criticise someone for that.

Anyway it's all good. The nfl hype machine won't really like it though because it makes the #1 draft pick obvious now. Though I'm sure some will try and put some doubt out there.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #71807 on: March 17, 2024, 10:32:28 am »
The NFL as a whole must not rate Fields. Getting a conditional 6th pick for him suggests there’s  a general consensus he isn’t anywhere near a starting NFL quality QB. Interesting because I think there’s a proportion of the NFL fanbase who not only see him as a starter, they seem him as potential star quality.

The 2021 Draft QB class was lauded as being loaded. Think 5 QBs were picked in 1st 15 picks. Only 1 is still with the team that picked them. Wilson, Lance, Wilson and Jones are all going to be back ups in 2024. Only Lawrence is a starter still. Lawrence has had a difficult 3 seasons also. Urban Meyer in Year 1 and injuries in Year 3 haven’t helped but I think even Lawrence has underwhelmed so far given his college rep.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #71808 on: March 17, 2024, 10:41:22 am »
the lawrence star definitely faded a bit last season.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71809 on: March 17, 2024, 10:53:30 am »
the lawrence star definitely faded a bit last season.

I don’t watch college football much so when players come into the NFL I’m not likely to have see any player much at all. I have no preconceived idea of their abilities generally. I’m also a bit skeptical of the draft and how college football translates to NFL. It’s crapshoot that only get worse outside the Top 20 picks. But it’s one you need to hit on for cap reasons.

I get the impression that some fans and NFL executives put a disproportionate amount of weight on college performance and draft position, way beyond the key time of the draft. People rate players picked high in the draft years afterwards. That happens for high and low draft picks.

If you asked how close in ability and performance Fields and Purdy are, I reckon it’d be close to an even split. That’s despite Purdy being absolutely miles better than Fields in the NFL. We’ve even had people in this thread suggesting the 49ers should go after Fields. That can’t be based on NFL performance. It’s got to be a disproportionate weight being still put on their college career.

I think Lawrence is a bit like that. I think he’s a Top15-20 QB. I wouldn’t have him Top 10 based on his 3 NFL seasons. I reckon loads of people would though. Based on rep and his Clemson performances years ago.

Offline Vegeta

• Is definitely a vegetable. All posts stink like sprouts.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #71810 on: March 17, 2024, 11:13:32 am »
If you asked how close in ability and performance Fields and Purdy are, I reckon it’d be close to an even split. That’s despite Purdy being absolutely miles better than Fields in the NFL. We’ve even had people in this thread suggesting the 49ers should go after Fields. That can’t be based on NFL performance. It’s got to be a disproportionate weight being still put on their college career.
I'd like to see how Brock Purdy would of looked on The Chicago Bears instead of playing with an All Pro team on the 49ers now That Fields is on The Steelers he will develop into a top five QB in the league.

As for Purdy I think he's gonna massively regress next season and I think he's destined to become backup QB who bounces around the league sitting on team's benches lol

The sooner The fan base realise Purdy is a fraud the better because that Super bowl drought will sadly reach 50 years 😔😔😔
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 11:27:27 am by Vegeta »
150 IQ never wrong.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71811 on: March 17, 2024, 12:22:19 pm »
I'd like to see how Brock Purdy would of looked on The Chicago Bears instead of playing with an All Pro team on the 49ers now That Fields is on The Steelers he will develop into a top five QB in the league.

As for Purdy I think he's gonna massively regress next season and I think he's destined to become backup QB who bounces around the league sitting on team's benches lol

The sooner The fan base realise Purdy is a fraud the better because that Super bowl drought will sadly reach 50 years 😔😔😔

Interesting PoV. You may well end up being correct.

Just a few Q’s though :

what evidence is there from the NFL career only that Fields is a Top 5 QB?

Why don’t you think most teams didn’t try and trade for Fields? and why was his value ultimately dictated as a Rd4 or Rd6 draft pick?

How important do you think a QB is in an offense?

With a good scheme and playmakers at TE, RB and WR can you elevate a back up QB to near MVP level?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 12:24:17 pm by Jookie »

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #71812 on: March 17, 2024, 12:25:11 pm »
Not sure what time scale that's supposedly on because fields isn't even going to play this year unless wilson is either awful or gets injured. Though, they both could potentially happen.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #71813 on: March 17, 2024, 09:19:22 pm »
Days like today I really wish there was some NFL action to take my mind off things (thankfully, we've had only a few of those this season)

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71814 on: March 17, 2024, 09:38:38 pm »
The NFL as a whole must not rate Fields. Getting a conditional 6th pick for him suggests there’s  a general consensus he isn’t anywhere near a starting NFL quality QB. Interesting because I think there’s a proportion of the NFL fanbase who not only see him as a starter, they seem him as potential star quality.

Supposedly there were a number of teams interested and he wanted to go to the Steelers out of those interested, so the Bears played fair with him and didn't try and force through a more lucrative offer instead, although presumably the others were of a fairly similar level for them to be willing to be flexible.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1769466182678073768

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71815 on: March 17, 2024, 09:47:21 pm »

A top 5 QB would tend to be one that was good enough to elevate their supporting cast rather than needing everything in place around them, there were few signs that he was that good or that he was growing towards that level, while his situation was less than ideal to start out with, there were enough pieces in place for him last season that he should have shown far more progress than he actually did last season.

He's like those players that look good on match of the day, but look far worse if you actually see watch the full game as a few highlights don't cover for the rest of their play.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #71816 on: March 17, 2024, 10:04:41 pm »
Fields will need to be bad not to take Wilson's job. Because Wilson isn't any good these days.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71817 on: March 17, 2024, 11:17:36 pm »
I have no idea what the Pats are planning this offseason. Have done nothing of note in FA so are we hoping we can draft for what we need?

Some of these moves have been mad so far around the league

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #71818 on: Yesterday at 02:07:33 pm »
I have no idea what the Pats are planning this offseason. Have done nothing of note in FA so are we hoping we can draft for what we need?

Some of these moves have been mad so far around the league

The big first Q is whether they stick at 3 in the draft and grab a QB or look to trade down for a bit of a haul.

I mean the need for a QB is obvious and they are hard to get but that situation looks like a multi year rebuild.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71819 on: Yesterday at 02:32:12 pm »
The big first Q is whether they stick at 3 in the draft and grab a QB or look to trade down for a bit of a haul.

I mean the need for a QB is obvious and they are hard to get but that situation looks like a multi year rebuild.

Getting a QB in place would seem like it needs to happen either this draft or the next and the predictions are for a much weaker class in a year's time so it would be a gamble to wait, they do have a full set of picks this year to put in some more parts of their rebuild besides a QB after all.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #71820 on: Yesterday at 02:34:23 pm »
Getting a QB in place would seem like it needs to happen either this draft or the next and the predictions are for a much weaker class in a year's time so it would be a gamble to wait, they do have a full set of picks this year to put in some more parts of their rebuild besides a QB after all.

I think the only way they trade out is if they don't love the QB options available at 3

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #71821 on: Yesterday at 04:41:42 pm »
They should draft General Booty just for my amusement.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #71822 on: Yesterday at 09:46:02 pm »
https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/status/1769834434327417156

another 'bespoke' number style and another one with the city name across the chest.

borrrrrrrrring. yawn.