Author Topic: Liverpool's Midfield  (Read 1797865 times)

Offline Gray Hamster

• Not bong eyed but quite fond of little furry things.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool's Midfield
« Reply #16560 on: November 20, 2019, 11:47:53 am »
Just watched highlights of yesterdays Holland Estonia game. Wijnaldum, feck me, as complete a performance as a attacking midfielder you can get.

Many strings to his bow has Gini

Offline Gray Hamster

• Not bong eyed but quite fond of little furry things.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16561 on: November 20, 2019, 11:51:25 am »
To add to the above.....When I see the performances our midfielders are putting in consistently, in particular Fab, Gini, Hendo, Ox. We have an unbelievably strong midfield.

Amazing that the rest of the world doesn't seem to appreciate that our midfield is right up there with the best.

I think it's a good thing  ;)

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16562 on: November 20, 2019, 12:27:54 pm »
Wijnaldum is surely one of the most underrated footballers around

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #16563 on: November 20, 2019, 01:23:23 pm »
Just watched highlights of yesterdays Holland Estonia game. Wijnaldum, feck me, as complete a performance as a attacking midfielder you can get.

Many strings to his bow has Gini

When see you performances like this, albeit against Estonia, you have to admire the player's ability to put the team's results ahead of their own personal achievements. Someone like Wijnaldum could easily play attacking midfield for a top 4 club and get 10 assists and 10 goals a season in a big european league. However, he plays a more disciplined and less flashy role to aid this Liverpool team. Great credit to the player for doing this, bt also the manager and coaching staff for getting buy in. Not just from Gini but most of the players who play in our midfield positions.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #16564 on: November 20, 2019, 01:34:25 pm »
To add to the above.....When I see the performances our midfielders are putting in consistently, in particular Fab, Gini, Hendo, Ox. We have an unbelievably strong midfield.

Amazing that the rest of the world doesn't seem to appreciate that our midfield is right up there with the best.

I think it's a good thing  ;)

The rest of the world? Lots of people on here don't appreciate them.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #16565 on: November 20, 2019, 02:23:47 pm »
Weird how when Gini plays for us, he seems very hesitant to shoot. For example against Spurs, he had a big chance to get a shot away inside the box but instead spun around and played a pass out wide. This happens quite a lot when he's within shooting range. Always seems very hesitant to shoot. Don't know if that's to do with our front 3 where he knows they'll likely cause oppositions problems but when playing for the Dutch team, they don't have that sort of firepower uptop and takes it upon himself to be that creative/goalscorer.

Then you watch him play for the Dutch and he's scoring all different sort of goals. Would love to see him replicate that for us.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #16566 on: November 20, 2019, 04:51:57 pm »
Weird how when Gini plays for us, he seems very hesitant to shoot. For example against Spurs, he had a big chance to get a shot away inside the box but instead spun around and played a pass out wide. This happens quite a lot when he's within shooting range. Always seems very hesitant to shoot. Don't know if that's to do with our front 3 where he knows they'll likely cause oppositions problems but when playing for the Dutch team, they don't have that sort of firepower uptop and takes it upon himself to be that creative/goalscorer.

Then you watch him play for the Dutch and he's scoring all different sort of goals. Would love to see him replicate that for us.

Yes. I think that a lot, too. I get that he's playing a different role, but he gets into positions where you know he should be taking the shot on, and doesn't. Or misses. I cannot imagine that the team instructions go that far! Plenty of goals in the team, so it's just one of those curious things rather than a problem.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #16567 on: November 20, 2019, 09:56:08 pm »
Yes. I think that a lot, too. I get that he's playing a different role, but he gets into positions where you know he should be taking the shot on, and doesn't. Or misses. I cannot imagine that the team instructions go that far! Plenty of goals in the team, so it's just one of those curious things rather than a problem.

I think he just gets into better positions for the national team and is encouraged to carry the attack more. I think Gini more than most players internalises his role in how he plays.

That's why I expect that if he's asked to play a more attacking midfield role, he'd have no problem getting into positions to score and to score a decent number of goals. He tends to contribute to the goalscoring when it's asked of him.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #16568 on: November 21, 2019, 11:08:17 am »
I think he just gets into better positions for the national team and is encouraged to carry the attack more. I think Gini more than most players internalises his role in how he plays.

That's why I expect that if he's asked to play a more attacking midfield role, he'd have no problem getting into positions to score and to score a decent number of goals. He tends to contribute to the goalscoring when it's asked of him.

What we're saying though, is that he does get into the positions for us.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #16569 on: November 21, 2019, 02:19:18 pm »
Wijnaldum is surely one of the most underrated footballers around

He is selected for the ballon dor. Not that great a secret anymore.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16570 on: November 27, 2019, 09:55:02 pm »
Really need Klopp to help the team out by selecting balanced midfields. A lack of progressive 8s is pretty inexcusable when Trent isn't starting given Trent is usually the justification given for the midfields we play. I said in the pre game thread this would be painful viewing with our team selection and it really, really was.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16571 on: November 27, 2019, 09:57:29 pm »
Really need Klopp to help the team out by selecting balanced midfields. A lack of progressive 8s is pretty inexcusable when Trent isn't starting given Trent is usually the justification given for the midfields we play. I said in the pre game thread this would be painful viewing with our team selection and it really, really was.

Cross cross and more crosses, drums home how special Trent is if anything, it makes that tactic a way more viable option.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #16572 on: November 27, 2019, 09:57:44 pm »

Shame Klopp doesn't read your posts, then we'd be much better off.

Online Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16573 on: November 27, 2019, 10:00:16 pm »
Shame Klopp doesn't read your posts, then we'd be much better off.

Or he could read Babu's Twitter threads, which is where I get my opinions from, and listen to him. But yes on this topic Klopp could do with listening to those who'd like midfield to look different.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #16574 on: November 27, 2019, 10:02:08 pm »
Or he could read Babu's Twitter threads, which is where I get my opinions from, and listen to him. But yes on this topic Klopp could do with listening to those who'd like midfield to look different.

:lmao :lmao
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16575 on: November 27, 2019, 10:06:20 pm »
I haven't looked at his twitter feed in a while but his match commentary feed from the game this eve articulates everything that is wrong with this team selection and tonight's performance. Donut midfields aren't great.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #16577 on: November 27, 2019, 10:13:36 pm »
I haven't looked at his twitter feed in a while but his match commentary feed from the game this eve articulates everything that is wrong with this team selection and tonight's performance. Donut midfields aren't great.
Donut forum contributions not great either 😉
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16578 on: November 27, 2019, 10:14:44 pm »
Donut forum contributions not great either 😉

Agree with this, but I get all my opinions from Bolrick
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16579 on: November 27, 2019, 10:21:37 pm »
Agree with this, but I get all my opinions from Bolrick

Who is Bolrick?

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #16580 on: November 28, 2019, 04:05:19 am »
Who is Bolrick?
Bloke with a cuning pan
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16581 on: November 28, 2019, 06:05:11 am »
hmmmmmmmmmmm.................

Ask and i shall appear
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Online Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #16582 on: November 28, 2019, 07:50:24 am »
Strewth.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #16583 on: November 28, 2019, 07:54:22 am »
Strewth.

I'm kind of hoping its a piss take comment, though these days who knows?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #16584 on: November 28, 2019, 08:04:17 am »
Blimey.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16585 on: November 28, 2019, 09:01:37 am »

Champions of Europe and lost once in about 50 odd league games.

What I find 'pretty inexcusable' is fans criticising the manager and saying his decisions are 'inexcusable' after a single draw. Saying you predicted this before the game makes it seem like this is a continued flaw in the team. For me, that doesn't correlate with our results and performances over the last few seasons. How can there be a continued flaw but we are the best team in Europe and have lost 1 league game in about 18 months. Surely if you can see this glaring flaw then Klopp can. Or most other manager's out there can see it.

What would need to happen for some fans to not complain about some aspect of the team?

To be honest I didn't agree with Klopp's team last night. But he probably had reasons to make it. I wonder how much Keita being ill changed things. He obviously wanted to rest Wijnaldum and TAA. I think we may have gone Milner at RB and Keita in midfield if they were both available. It's a long time since Gomez has played RB and Milner has been preferred there ahead of Gomez this season. Maybe the plan was to play a progressive midfielder in Keita but him being unavailable again made this difficult.

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #16586 on: November 28, 2019, 09:12:34 am »

What I find 'pretty inexcusable' is fans criticising the manager and saying his decisions are 'inexcusable' after a single draw. Saying you predicted this before the game makes it seem like this is a continued flaw in the team. For me, that doesn't correlate with our results and performances over the last few seasons. How can there be a continued flaw but we are the best team in Europe and have lost 1 league game in about 18 months. Surely if you can see this glaring flaw then Klopp can. Or most other manager's out there can see it.

What would need to happen for some fans to not complain about some aspect of the team?

To be honest I didn't agree with Klopp's team last night. But he probably had reasons to make it. I wonder how much Keita being ill changed things. He obviously wanted to rest Wijnaldum and TAA. I think we may have gone Milner at RB and Keita in midfield if they were both available. It's a long time since Gomez has played RB and Milner has been preferred there ahead of Gomez this season. Maybe the plan was to play a progressive midfielder in Keita but him being unavailable again made this difficult.

Agree with you 100% about the complaining!! Some people on this forum are ridiculous. Do they expect to win every single game now. We are in such a good place that yesterdays draw didn't affect me at all. We are still in the competition, we depend on ourselves to go through, we are flying in the league. A draw to a big team is acceptable every now and again. We win all the games that we should be winning against the midtable teams and occasionally draw to big teams which results can go either way. Similar to when we drew against united away and people were livid. Unbelievable.

If people are upset now I could only imagine how they felt when we use to lose and draw random games that we should have been winning with Houllier and Benitez.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Online ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16587 on: November 28, 2019, 09:26:56 am »
It was dogged game in the 1st half, Napoli gave us nothing at all and had 8 men constantly behind the ball to nullify our front 3 and the full backs. What that did meant that the midfield had no one to pass to in any dangerous positions so we looked blunt. 2nd half we were much better

Thought Henderson played well and put some excellent balls into the box. Gini and Milner were alright but couldn't create much (apart from Milner nearly scoring one of the goals of the season). Teams will bog us down because they know it can slow us down. Ox was brought on to try and make that easier but even then they were so deep we couldn't create anything

We move on and we batter Brighton and Everton now

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16588 on: November 28, 2019, 09:53:28 am »

To be fair, I don't think we would have done much better if Trent had started. Although Ox was good when he came on, I don't think he was enough to change the game on his own either.

We were just off our best and Napoli were very organised. They slowed the game down a lot, and we struggled to dictate the tempo of the match. We're much easier to deal with as a team if you slow the game down and especially slow down the transitions.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16589 on: November 28, 2019, 10:01:04 am »
hmmmmmmmmmmm.................

Ask and i shall appear

Ok nah I changed my mind, I’m gonna start getting my opinions from Jookie

Online ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16590 on: November 28, 2019, 10:19:38 am »

This is up there with the worst posts I've ever seen on here

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #16591 on: November 28, 2019, 10:54:23 am »
This is up there with the worst posts I've ever seen on here

Are you surprised after he convinced 95% of this forum that Karius was a top-class keeper?

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16592 on: November 28, 2019, 12:41:05 pm »
Ok nah I changed my mind, I’m gonna start getting my opinions from Jookie

That’s a bold, and I would say foolish, plan.

Online markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16593 on: November 28, 2019, 01:31:08 pm »

Whether it was babu, suzie Q or betty boo, I think the point stands

Unless a team is perfect it will have flaws

But I agree with you I think Keita might have played, OX may have started as well if he hadn't of had something like 4 starts in about 10 days going into yesterday.

With Fabinho likely out a few games, many will get what they have wanted for a while, as I imagine Ox, keita or lallana will come into the team , in the short term.  I would prefer Gini plays no.6 so that the left sided no.8 can be the attacking option, as Trent might need Jordan infront of him still

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16594 on: November 28, 2019, 03:27:41 pm »
We've conceded in 11 straight games, I feel we can afford to go with more expansive midfields from now, just need Keira and Ox to get fully fit.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 07:16:21 pm by Coolie High »

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16595 on: November 28, 2019, 03:28:42 pm »
Are you surprised after he convinced 95% of this forum that Karius was a top-class keeper?

He's got way more right than he has wrong though, Fabinho Ox etc.

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #16596 on: November 28, 2019, 03:55:28 pm »
We've conceded in 11 straight games, I feel we can afford to go with more expansive kd fields from now, just need Keira and Ox to get fully fit.

Hendo and Milner in the same midfield are to defensive don't like when playing with them and with Fab in that 3 just no going forward . Someone like OX, Keita or even Lallana will bring more forward options in the midfield 3.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #16597 on: November 28, 2019, 04:38:19 pm »
Hendo and Milner in the same midfield are to defensive

Not picking on you because everyone does it but Henderson and Milner are entirely different.
Henderson is one of the best midfield pressers in the league. Milner isn't. Milner is an excellent midfield passer, Henderson isn't - in fact he's been mostly horrible this season with the ball
Henderson is really good at keeping our defensive shape, Milner vacates his space to attack constantly and isn't particularly good defensively in midfield at all these days.
They're just so different as players the only commonality is they're both British, right footed and they both run around a lot

Online Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16598 on: November 28, 2019, 04:50:17 pm »
They have some similar flaws though. Both tend to vacate the centre of the pitch, perhaps because neither are especially press resistant and prefer to receive the ball where they've more space. On Milner, for lots of the game last night he looked the most likely to make something happen, which was great. He really has been a brilliant player for us.

My previous post seems to have garnered some negative attention. Sorry about that. I'll stand by my opinion that Babu is bang on when it comes to our midfield though. But next time I'll try and say it in a way that doesn't cause so much fuss.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 04:53:46 pm by Knight »

Offline CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16599 on: November 28, 2019, 05:03:30 pm »
Not picking on you because everyone does it but Henderson and Milner are entirely different.
Henderson is one of the best midfield pressers in the league. Milner isn't. Milner is an excellent midfield passer, Henderson isn't - in fact he's been mostly horrible this season with the ball
Henderson is really good at keeping our defensive shape, Milner vacates his space to attack constantly and isn't particularly good defensively in midfield at all these days.
They're just so different as players the only commonality is they're both British, right footed and they both run around a lot

Totally agree. Of our midfielders who have got on the pitch with any regularity, Milner is probably the most attacking and creative. Its weird that they often get put together. I think it is likely due to the occasional stodginess of the Wijnaldum - Hendo - Milner midfields we saw in season past.
shut up clown. Naby Keita can buy your life and throw it away.