Author Topic: David Moyes was the manager of Manchester United  (Read 3092214 times)

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: David Moyes
« Reply #200 on: July 2, 2013, 01:35:33 am »
David Moyes, Jimmy Lumsden, Steve Round and Chris Woods - The Dream Team    :lmao

Just rejoice in that a bit longer. However, fucking hell Andy, sometimes you do sound like you've hit the crack pipe a little too hard.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #201 on: July 2, 2013, 06:14:16 am »
Exactly. Moyes is not going to win anything. But he has to do well enough to come top 4 so that they have hope for the next season and on and on it goes. Thats the best scenario. If they drop out of top 4 (maybe they will even tolerate 1 year out but 2 years out) they will sack him and spend big with a new manager which can get them going.

I'm not too sure about that. People are too quick to laugh and write off David Moyes and Manchester Utd. History though, has shown that these lot, nine times out of ten, land on their feet and come out smelling of roses. So even though I hope it all goes tit's up for them, I'm not expecting it to. I can see them challenging for the title again and perhaps winning a cup along the way as well.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #202 on: July 2, 2013, 06:23:55 am »
I'm not too sure about that. People are too quick to laugh and write off David Moyes and Manchester Utd. History though, has shown that these lot, nine times out of ten, land on their feet and come out smelling of roses. So even though I hope it all goes tit's up for them, I'm not expecting it to. I can see them challenging for the title again and perhaps winning a cup along the way as well.

In the Ferguson years, yes. Before that, though, no. They won through the force of Ferguson's personality. Now they have Moyes, who has won less at the top level in 10 years than Swansea have in 2. To add to that, the core of the coaching staff has been replaced with the core of the Everton staff. So United will now play more like Everton, which will not suit the players they have. The attacking talents will have their roles changed and will be less effective as time goes on, while the more average players will benefit from Moyes' regimented view of the game, and those players will dictate the tempo of the team. Any slip up in his methods will lose him the commitment of the top players, and any reduction in results will put the fans, or at least a section of them, on his and the team's backs. He will also have the Rooney problem again, and if that goes belly up then he will have tension on the training ground, and every time he subs him off in a game there will be media scrutiny the likes of which he's never had before.

Busby - O'Farrell - Best
Ferguson - Moyes - Rooney

United fans are in for a shock over the course of the season.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: July 2, 2013, 12:20:13 pm »
In the Ferguson years, yes. Before that, though, no. They won through the force of Ferguson's personality. Now they have Moyes, who has won less at the top level in 10 years than Swansea have in 2. To add to that, the core of the coaching staff has been replaced with the core of the Everton staff. So United will now play more like Everton, which will not suit the players they have. The attacking talents will have their roles changed and will be less effective as time goes on, while the more average players will benefit from Moyes' regimented view of the game, and those players will dictate the tempo of the team. Any slip up in his methods will lose him the commitment of the top players, and any reduction in results will put the fans, or at least a section of them, on his and the team's backs. He will also have the Rooney problem again, and if that goes belly up then he will have tension on the training ground, and every time he subs him off in a game there will be media scrutiny the likes of which he's never had before.

Busby - O'Farrell - Best

Exactly!!

Add to that the problems with unhappy players already existing within the squad, to name Anderson, Chicarito, Nani f.e. and they are facing problems which will make our period of "transition" after Rafa looking like a honeymoon.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline GamingFreak

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #204 on: July 2, 2013, 01:31:17 pm »
He is probably better than David Brent though.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #205 on: July 2, 2013, 01:51:13 pm »
I dont think united will make it to top 4 or the Europa place.  I just hope they dont replace Gollum in the middle of the season.  If we play we (assuming Spurs continue their progress), both us and Spurs will fight for that 4th place. 
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #206 on: July 2, 2013, 01:53:58 pm »

8 months of silence and you broke cover to type that? It's not even a thread about incest ffs.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: July 2, 2013, 01:55:56 pm »
just wearing my tin foil hat(cue x files theme song) :boxhead

Is Moyes that bad of a manager? or are we just consoling ourselves that he manage to steer the bitters over us with lesser budget? He did pretty decent at the bitters. But as with any managerial appointment, it is always a gamble. Just hope he does more damage than good.

Just wondering too how the F(ergusons) A(rmy) and the refs would shape up the season. Wondering how many penalties they going to get at the Old Trafford this season with Moyes around......

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: July 2, 2013, 01:56:04 pm »
I don't think United will win the league, but they won't fall apart, they'll finish in the top four comfortably.  The infrastructure is too strong.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: July 2, 2013, 02:07:14 pm »

I would hope he'd be better than a fictional character otherwise your fucked.

Online Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #210 on: July 2, 2013, 02:13:48 pm »
Worried about this thread. Very worried indedd.

The notion that they are a spent force due to the end of Ferguson is premature. They still have financial clout and Moyes isn't a slackjawed idiot. He may be over-hyped but he will also have ideas and plans that may well pay off. Hope I am wrong, but just think the level of swagger coming from elements of our fanbase is a little OTT and based on wishful thinking in a lot of cases.

Offline mart356

• Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour. Dejan Lover
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: July 2, 2013, 02:30:26 pm »
Worried about this thread. Very worried indedd.

The notion that they are a spent force due to the end of Ferguson is premature. They still have financial clout and Moyes isn't a slackjawed idiot. He may be over-hyped but he will also have ideas and plans that may well pay off. Hope I am wrong, but just think the level of swagger coming from elements of our fanbase is a little OTT and based on wishful thinking in a lot of cases.

Agreed, they'll still challenge for the title this year, probably wont win it (Chelsea will), but they'll still be up there. David Moyes is a decent manager, not great but certainly one of the better ones in the league, they have a great team and have the ability to sign most players in the world, they wont fall apart, and Moyes will learn on the job and improve as wel as having SAF for advice.

Offline ManchesterBlue

• Hologram fan with digital flag 'full members cup runners up 1986'.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone
« Reply #212 on: July 2, 2013, 02:33:41 pm »
The thing is that no one knows what will happen. On the one hand it may turn out that Moyes picks up where Ferguson left off but equally he may also upset the balance that was there and players may not be as motivated or the whole may turn out to be less than the sum of the parts, instead of being greater.

I'd have been more inclined to the former view if he'd kept the old coaching team and I think he's taken a huge risk in letting them go. Also, while the Glazers still own them they'll be more concerned about the bottom line than trophies I reckon. But we'll see.

Offline Port_vale_lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: July 2, 2013, 02:43:08 pm »
Where do people think they will finish this year with Moyes?

Genuinely tough to call the winner this time around,can't see a mass implosion like some have said.
They will be there or there about come the end of the season though,be amazed if the finished outside the top 4.

Personally think they will finish 2nd behind Chelsea and just ahead of City but i think it will be really really tight this year.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: July 2, 2013, 02:53:22 pm »
my heart says them being relegated but thats just me ;D

my mind says they will be somewhere in the top 4.

They are too good to not to end up in CL but weirder things have happened :-\

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #215 on: July 2, 2013, 03:01:04 pm »

Top 3 of course. They will further strengthen their squad, if Vidic stays fit and of course RVP they'll be right up there. I can see Kagawa having a much more influential season now that he knows what the league is about and has a winner's medal from his first season.
Too much being made of Moyes perceived negativity, with better players at his disposal and Ferguson over him, they're not going to forget how to play as a ruthless attacking unit.
I expect City to be more disciplined under Pellegrini, also Tevez departure is probably a good thing for the dressing room. Aguero and Navas could be a lethal partnership. Javi Garcia will need to push on from last season though.

Chelsea are harder to call. So many questions to be answered. Who will Mourinho rely on in attack? I'm not convinced by the signing of Schürrle.
Is Lukaku returning, will he lead the line? Is Torres off, then there's Demba Ba also.  Kevin De Bruyne could be the new midfield partner for Ramires and now there's talk of a Cavani bid.

Can see it being much closer at the top this season.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: July 2, 2013, 03:18:54 pm »
Top 3 of course. They will further strengthen their squad, if Vidic stays fit and of course RVP they'll be right up there. I can see Kagawa having a much more influential season now that he knows what the league is about and has a winner's medal from his first season.
Too much being made of Moyes perceived negativity, with better players at his disposal and Ferguson over him, they're not going to forget how to play as a ruthless attacking unit.
I expect City to be more disciplined under Pellegrini, also Tevez departure is probably a good thing for the dressing room. Aguero and Navas could be a lethal partnership. Javi Garcia will need to push on from last season though.

Chelsea are harder to call. So many questions to be answered. Who will Mourinho rely on in attack? I'm not convinced by the signing of Schürrle.
Is Lukaku returning, will he lead the line? Is Torres off, then there's Demba Ba also.  Kevin De Bruyne could be the new midfield partner for Ramires and now there's talk of a Cavani bid.

Can see it being much closer at the top this season.

It's not about "forgetting to play as an aggressive attacking unit". It's about playing to a whole new set of principles and tactical triggers. Every Ferguson team since he arrived there in 1986 has been drilled in a set of triggers that have dictated United's play. These triggers involve the movements of the wingers, the rotations of the forwards, the timing of the fullback runs, the covering back with the movement of the ball, and the triggers for counterattacking, possessing, and penetration. These triggers - similar to Barcelona - are based off player movements, so there is an element of improvisation that exists in Ferguson's set up, that allows the talented players to express themselves.

Moyes and his coaching staff, on the other hand, operate under a different framework. They value the position of the ball more, and play to shape rather movement. When the ball is in X position on the field, the team will have to have Y shape. Much like how Hodgson coaches. Until now, his attacks have been pretty direct, so it will be interesting to see if he allows more latitude, but if he does, it will be more freeform, with players now having to survive off their wits. Any new players that get brought in will also now not have the triggers that the already present players have been drilled in, so already there will be a degree of tactical confusion. When the fullback picks a moment to go on an overlap - because that's when Ferguson would want them to - they may violate Moyes' rules of shape, and so have their former patterns of play curbed. This is essentially what happened for us when Hodgson took over from Rafa - they actually had similar methodologies, but Rafa was more concerned with pressing space and letting the ability of the opponents to move beyond the pressure dictate when the team would drop. There were specific cues for movement, shifting, dropping, pressing and covering. The patterns of play were also worked on, based on visual triggers for direct attacks to Torres, or one-touch pass and move based on where the ball was won. Hodgson, however, didn't have this. His triggers involved dropping back in every situation, setting up shape in front of the box, and defending from there. There were no patterns of attack either, other than hitting it long and improvising from that scenario. We know how that turned out, and players are not silly - they'll know if there's a difference in the quality of training and the quality of information they are being given. They won't settle for hamburger when they had steak for years before.

So there are clear indicators that United will perform well below their usual level. With City having money and a less volatile manager, Chelsea having money and the momentum of Mourinho's return, Arsenal being Arsenal, and us and Spurs looking to make the Great Leap again, any slip-up could cost United the security of the positions they've held for 2 decades

Offline ManchesterBlue

• Hologram fan with digital flag 'full members cup runners up 1986'.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone
« Reply #217 on: July 2, 2013, 03:35:39 pm »
Fantastic post PoP. The question is how long does it take to 'unlearn' a well rehearsed system like United have, if that's what Moyes intends to do in favour of a different way of playing?

Some of the key players in that system (Scholes, possibly Rooney, Evra and one or two of the wingers) won't be there this season. Vidic & Ferdinand are another year older and more injury prone.

They've won so many games by relentless attacking until the last minute whereas Moyes' Everton sat back & tried to hang onto leads. Two seasons ago, they (United) came to the Etihad to get the point they needed to stay top, were incredibly conservative and didn't have a shot on target. Is that going to be more the norm under Moyes?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: July 2, 2013, 03:51:36 pm »
Fantastic post PoP. The question is how long does it take to 'unlearn' a well rehearsed system like United have, if that's what Moyes intends to do in favour of a different way of playing?

Some of the key players in that system (Scholes, possibly Rooney, Evra and one or two of the wingers) won't be there this season. Vidic & Ferdinand are another year older and more injury prone.

They've won so many games by relentless attacking until the last minute whereas Moyes' Everton sat back & tried to hang onto leads. Two seasons ago, they (United) came to the Etihad to get the point they needed to stay top, were incredibly conservative and didn't have a shot on target. Is that going to be more the norm under Moyes?

I don't know if it will come down to "unlearning" more than it will come down to pure confusion. Moyes will insist on his way of training and playing, while the long-termers will try their best to adapt but will be stuck in their more familiar way of playing. I'd say the most adaptable players will be Rooney and Van Persie, and that might be his saving grace. But the defenders and the midfielders will want to please the manager, but they - as all players do - will revert to what they know under pressure (pressure of time/space in a game, or the pressure of results if they don't go well, or the media pressure or fan pressure). That's where a malaise can set in, much like it did with Liverpool when Rafa was replaced by Hodgson.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #219 on: July 2, 2013, 04:01:29 pm »
It's not about "forgetting to play as an aggressive attacking unit". It's about playing to a whole new set of principles and tactical triggers. Every Ferguson team since he arrived there in 1986 has been drilled in a set of triggers that have dictated United's play. These triggers involve the movements of the wingers, the rotations of the forwards, the timing of the fullback runs, the covering back with the movement of the ball, and the triggers for counterattacking, possessing, and penetration. These triggers - similar to Barcelona - are based off player movements, so there is an element of improvisation that exists in Ferguson's set up, that allows the talented players to express themselves.

Moyes and his coaching staff, on the other hand, operate under a different framework. They value the position of the ball more, and play to shape rather movement. When the ball is in X position on the field, the team will have to have Y shape. Much like how Hodgson coaches. Until now, his attacks have been pretty direct, so it will be interesting to see if he allows more latitude, but if he does, it will be more freeform, with players now having to survive off their wits. Any new players that get brought in will also now not have the triggers that the already present players have been drilled in, so already there will be a degree of tactical confusion. When the fullback picks a moment to go on an overlap - because that's when Ferguson would want them to - they may violate Moyes' rules of shape, and so have their former patterns of play curbed. This is essentially what happened for us when Hodgson took over from Rafa - they actually had similar methodologies, but Rafa was more concerned with pressing space and letting the ability of the opponents to move beyond the pressure dictate when the team would drop. There were specific cues for movement, shifting, dropping, pressing and covering. The patterns of play were also worked on, based on visual triggers for direct attacks to Torres, or one-touch pass and move based on where the ball was won. Hodgson, however, didn't have this. His triggers involved dropping back in every situation, setting up shape in front of the box, and defending from there. There were no patterns of attack either, other than hitting it long and improvising from that scenario. We know how that turned out, and players are not silly - they'll know if there's a difference in the quality of training and the quality of information they are being given. They won't settle for hamburger when they had steak for years before.

So there are clear indicators that United will perform well below their usual level. With City having money and a less volatile manager, Chelsea having money and the momentum of Mourinho's return, Arsenal being Arsenal, and us and Spurs looking to make the Great Leap again, any slip-up could cost United the security of the positions they've held for 2 decades

Good post that PoP.

I`m really intrigued to see what Utd`s players do this season in terms of transition in the style of play. The older players like Vidic, Ferdinand, Carrick, Giggs etc will have their playing style ingrained into their DNA after playing that way for so many years.

Interesting times ahead.

Offline LincsRedbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Hold your head up high
« Reply #220 on: July 2, 2013, 04:22:37 pm »
The infrastructure is too strong.

But the main infrastructure has gone so is it as strong now?
Fought them all the way. Proud to be amongst some great supporters.

SOS member 4969        12.09.12 JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline LincsRedbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Hold your head up high
« Reply #221 on: July 2, 2013, 04:23:52 pm »
I thought he would at least work with some of the old coaches who I'm sure would prove to be very valuable to him however it seems he has cast them off for his own men. One and all
Fought them all the way. Proud to be amongst some great supporters.

SOS member 4969        12.09.12 JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #222 on: July 2, 2013, 04:27:11 pm »
The infrastructure is too strong.

But the main infrastructure has gone so is it as strong now?

;D

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: July 2, 2013, 04:45:57 pm »
It's not about "forgetting to play as an aggressive attacking unit".

You misquoted me pop. ;)
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: July 2, 2013, 05:02:38 pm »
You misquoted me pop. ;)

I did an' all. I do apologise. I think my actual point applies, though, unless you meant something else - in which case, I didn't catch on to it :)

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #225 on: July 2, 2013, 05:07:41 pm »
A lot of football-capital has left Man Utd. Now, I personally think they are a well run business and club. However, the changes they have implemented (in such a short time) somehow reeks of an Agamemnonite level of Hubris to me. Pride comes before the fall. LFC supporter know and understand this better than most. It certainly is an interesting time in English football history as it looks more and more likely that the English system is in the process of transformation, from being a mostly hegemonic, unipolar system dominated by Utd to a fragmented multipolar system with many opportunities for all contestants.
I've been meaning to do this for a while.I love reading your post's about football,you've got a great way with word's mate.

Thank's Dave.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: July 2, 2013, 05:10:15 pm »
In November 2009, FourFourTwo featured an exclusive interview with Everton manager David Moyes. He told us about his route to the top, living with his dad, almost signing Michael Essien – and if he could succeed Mr. Ferguson at Manchester United.

The red hair is starting to fade and the deepening lines across his face tell their own story. But David Moyes – the fourth-longest serving manager in England – remains as intent on returning Everton to their former glories as he was the day that he swept into Goodison Park seven and a half years ago, shaking the old stadium to its very foundations.
Such longevity in so hazardous an occupation is remarkable in itself, but the way in which Moyes has transformed Everton is stunning, justifiably earning him a reputation as one of the Premier League’s best managers. So high has the Scot’s stock risen in fact, that he’s now reputed to be Mr. Ferguson’s preferred heir to the throne at Old Trafford
FFT has been warned that Moyes can be awkward with journalists and highly sensitive to questions on issues – such as Joleon Lescott’s transfer to Manchester City – where his managerial authority has been breached.
But today Moyes is relaxed and genial, expansive when asked about supposedly ‘forbidden’ subjects. He seems ebullient after 
a productive training session earlier in the day. Bumping into Sylvain Distin on the way in, Everton’s new defender jokes how he wouldn’t be staying for voluntary training in the afternoons – as he did at former club Portsmouth – because the morning sessions here are “exhausting enough”.

Moyes, the archetypal tracksuit manager, clearly thrives when pushing his players through their paces and is pleased after a good workout. Still dressed in his training kit, he folds his right leg up against his chest, sprawling his other leg across a chair in Finch Farm’s media suite, and chats with the ease of a man at home in these surroundings.
“We’re quite proud at Everton. We think we’ve built up a decent team at Everton and Joleon was part of that and we wanted him to stay,” says Moyes of the transfer saga that so disrupted Everton’s pre-season.
"I felt that Joleon had been here three years and the group that we’d got together – we’d finished fifth and got to a cup final – could have warranted a bit longer.”
What Moyes found particularly hard was the way Lescott made it clear he no longer wanted to play for him. “Joleon is in the main a decent lad, but in the end didn’t act that way,” he says. Moyes is not one to dwell on the past, however, and refers to the matter as a “closed chapter”.
At Everton’s Friday press conference shortly before we meet, Moyes belatedly unveiled two new signings, Dutch defender Johnny Heitinga and the Russia midfielder, Diniyar Bilyaletdinov. It’s mid-September, a month after the start of the new season, but for the first time Moyes has had a full squad available for a training session.
His message is that the season starts here. 
“If I’d had these players six weeks ago, I’d have been ecstatic,” he says, looking pleased anyway.

Two influences dominate David Moyes’s ascent to being the most outstanding British manager of his generation: his Glasgow childhood and his experiences as a journeyman player.
"Glasgow’s my home and football was what you done,” he says, as if it were as elemental as eating and sleeping. His father coached Drumchapel Amateurs, a junior club with an incredible record of transforming young players into professionals, including Kenny Dalglish and Alex Ferguson. Moyes credits his father, who now lives with him and does some scouting for Everton, as being a crucial influence. “I used to help him get the strips ready and see him makes arrangements,” he recalls. Because of this, the ethos of management “has probably been within me” since childhood.
After representing Scotland at schoolboy and youth level, Moyes broke into the Celtic team as a teenage centre-half, winning the SPL title in 1981-82. But despite the promising start, he was unable to make a first-team place his own. Desperate for regular action, he sought a move to England and after a transfer to Arsenal fell through, joined Cambridge United in 1983. Besides a spell with Dunfermline in the early-1990s, he never again played in the top flight.
“I don’t regret it because it gave me an opportunity to see football in a different way,” he says. “I was at Cambridge, at Bristol City, 
I went to Shrewsbury – it’s not an illustrious route, but I tell you what, the background I had from Celtic stuck with me. You were required to win, and if you could win with style that was the way you should do it. But if not, you should win.”
He describes losing regularly at these clubs, having been at Celtic, as a “complete shock”. “All that losing is probably the reason I’m a miserable bugger today,” he laughs, but one senses that those days still live with him, and make him so intensely motivated now.

In 1993, Moyes joined Preston, where he spent nearly a decade. He always possessed the natural authority that set him out as managerial material. “He had that little bit of a commanding personality about him,” says the Hull midfielder Kevin Kilbane, who played with Moyes at Preston and was later managed by him at Everton. “He was a character within the club who you used to respect, but he had a bit 
of fear factor around him too.”
In January 1998, with Preston threatened by relegation to Division Three, Moyes became player-manager. By May 1999 he’d guided Preston to the Division Two title, and for the next three years they were in the hunt for promotion to the Premier League. Suddenly he was hot property.
He remained at Deepdale until March 2002 when the call came from Everton – “the first real big club to come in for me.” Although he won over Evertonians immediately, in particular by referring to their’s as “the People’s Club”, he faced a harder task in the dressing room. For years Everton had been chronically mismanaged and Moyes’s predecessor Walter Smith had accumulated a squad of ageing, underperforming players, many on lucrative long-term contracts. A culture of complacency permeated onto the pitch, where Everton were perennial strugglers. It was a club, Moyes recalls, where finishing 13th was considered “a good season”.
At Deepdale his squad “would’ve done anything you said”, but things were different at Goodison. He says that it was “a fight” just to establish himself. “I had to change it from a club that was just surviving,” he says. He wanted “a younger football club, a fresher football club”.
For the first year, Moyes seemed to revitalise Everton through sheer force of personality. Abetted by the emergence of a 16-year-old Wayne Rooney, Everton finished seventh in 2002-03, having occupied a Champions League spot for most of the season. Two years later, without Rooney and with minimal spending, he defied all expectations and took Everton to fourth place. He is still the only manager to crack the top four since Bobby Robson’s Newcastle in 2002.
"A lot of that early time was led by me: driven, motivated, a great desire to succeed. As it still is today – I don’t think it’s changed,” he says. But he believes that his managerial style has evolved. As he has assembled his own players he no longer has the daily battles with the inertia he first found at Goodison. Everton’s squad is now younger, fitter, hungrier and prepared to run through walls for him.

Moyes has completely altered perceptions of Everton, who are now an established top-six force, missing out on European qualification just once in five years. But while he takes justifiable pride in his achievements, there is 
a sense of unfinished business; that he needs silverware to consider himself a true success.
“People say ‘David Moyes needs to win something’ – and I do,” he says. “But if I win one trophy I’ll want to win another one. My ambition is to have the football club say ‘We want to finish first in the Premier League, not fifth.’

Although he won’t admit it, lack of money holds Everton back. For the second year, Moyes’ net spend is nil; over seven years it averages out at around £3.3million per year.
Perhaps because of these constraints, Moyes has a reputation for signing outstanding players at rock bottom prices. Tim Cahill cost just £1.5m, Mikel Arteta £2m. Lescott was signed for £5m and sold for £22m. Others – such as Michael Essien, who Moyes tells FFT he tried to sign from Bastia in 2003 – have got away. But Moyes admits that the transfer market is now harder and big money is needed, even for an unknown.
He says it rankles when he sees Everton outspent not only by rivals, such as Spurs and Aston Villa, but also by clubs like Sunderland. Yet his response is typically pragmatic: “If you don’t have it, then you can’t spend it.
“When you’re finishing fifth and wanting to be pushing, and ambitious, and wanting to show your players you’re ambitious, that’s where I feel sometimes that I let the players down because I can’t really give them more,” 
he admits. “That’s where sometimes I feel disappointed I’m not able to do that.”
It says much about his inherent sense of responsibility that he accepts a burden that rests with the chairman, Bill Kenwright. He has earned huge prize money – £15m last year – but had virtually none of it to spend. Kenwright frequently espouses a “24/7” search for investment, but after five years of looking has found none – despite many other clubs doing so.

Kenwright describes Moyes as his “best friend in football”. When Moyes is asked about his relationship with him there is genuine warmth. He says that Kenwright is “one of the reasons” he’s been at Everton so long. Indeed, one senses that despite limited financial resources, Moyes prefers to work with Kenwright – who gives him free rein in the running of the club – than he would a chairman with deep pockets but a penchant for meddling in his affairs.
Yet what happens when there are no more bargains or prodigies that can compensate for the board’s parsimony? Moyes bats the question away, saying that he wants Kenwright to think Everton can win the Premier League. “Obviously we need the tools to try and win the Premier League,” he says. “I want us to be driven together and him not accepting finishing fifth 
in the same way that seven years ago we were accepting not finishing outside the bottom five."
An announcement is due soon in the public inquiry investigating Everton’s controversial move to a new stadium outside the city limits. Moyes hints that this might resolve Everton’s parlous financial state.
“I’d like to think by two or three years time that the club would have a new input in some way, whether it be a new stadium or new investment,” he says. “We’re going to be building on a position of fifth in the Premier League rather than fifth from bottom. If that’s the case it’ll still be a big jump... but I think we’ll enjoy that jump more than the one we’ve had to take over the years.”
Until that time he will wheel and deal in the transfer market, and rely on Everton’s Academy. Six players, most notably Wayne Rooney, have progressed to be first-team regulars during Moyes’ time at Goodison. This season Jack Rodwell, an 18-year-old midfielder with the swagger of a young Steven Gerrard, looks set to make a first-team shirt his own.
“He’s an elegant midfielder. He can run, he’s quick, he’s good on the ball. What he needs is time; maturity will come with that,” says Moyes. “It wouldn’t be unrealistic after this World Cup for Jack to force his way into the England squad.”
Despite spending half his life in England, he still regards Scotland as his home and may go back one day. The Scotland or Celtic manager’s job might be attractive then, but says it’s “not on my agenda now”.

Asked about the speculation that he’s Fergie’s preferred successor, Moyes is dismissive. 
“I think last year it was Roy Keane,” he says. 
“I think the year before that it was Mark Hughes. The year before it was Steve Bruce. 
I just get on and try and not let it affect me if 
I can. I don’t think it does affect me in any way.”
He is full of admiration for Ferguson, though, describing him as the “best manager in the world”, but says their relationship is exaggerated. “Folk think that because we’re Scottish we must be really, really close, but I wouldn’t say that’s the case,” says Moyes.
Like Ferguson, Moyes is a workaholic: intense, driven, ambitious, motivated by fear of losing. He admits that there is little balance between his private and football life. “My wife understands me,” he says.
“He’s very hands on and runs Everton from top to bottom,” says Kevin Kilbane. “He’s a very good coach, very much an organiser. He’ll make sure he’s the main voice on the training ground. He leaves no stone unturned and makes sure he covers every area. His attention to detail is brilliant.”
At one point during our interview, FFT asks Moyes if he “used to” work 16-hour days when establishing himself as Everton manager. For the only time his eyes fix into an icy stare. “I do,” he interrupts, not liking the implication that he is slacking. “I do every day... If I don’t then somebody else will be overtaking me. Someone else will be taking my job. I have to work every day, every week as if it’s my last.”
What does he put being English football’s fourth-longest-serving manager down to? Moyes puffs his cheeks. “Having good players. A bit of luck. I work hard. I don’t take [my job] for granted. I try to make myself better 
as often as I can by seeing what’s new.”
But it’s Everton, and bringing success 
to Goodison, that remains his obsession.
“I can’t lose my drive and my desire,” he says. “Football’s got to keep driving me on. 
I think that’s why I’m probably still here.”

THE MOYES GUIDE TO MANAGEMENT

Coaching badges will only teach you so much:
I’d done my coaching badges but what they don’t teach you is what happens when you walk into the dressing room on the first morning and you have David Ginola, Tommy Gravesen, Paul Gascoigne, Duncan Ferguson sitting in front of you, looking at you to take the lead.”

Have a good chairman:
What managers need and want is chairmen who want to work with them and help them, aren’t wanting to be the centre of attraction, don’t want to make the decisions and will leave it to the manager – and if things aren’t going well, will support him. I think everybody knows Bill Kenwright’s done that for me.”
Fear is a great motivator
“If I don’t work that hard then somebody else will be overtaking me. Someone else will be taking my job. I have to work every day, every week as if it’s my last.”

Find yourself a schoolboy prodigy:
“I remember another manager saying, ‘How lucky is David Moyes, taking over at Everton and having a player like Wayne Rooney?’ And I was – I really was lucky to have a talent like that on my doorstep. We put him in the team and everybody knows where he’s gone, so good luck to him.”
Give kids a chance
“The academy has played a major part for us, and we rely on it here because we’ve not been able to go out and spend lots of money. I do say to many people, ‘If I was a parent [of a young footballer], Everton is a club that gives your kids a chance.’ We don’t have loads of players and there’s not a blockage to get to the first team. If you’re good enough, I think you’ve got a real chance here.”
Interview: James Corbett

http://fourfourtwo.com/blogs/fourfourtwoview/archive/2013/05/13/quot-fergie-we-re-not-close-quot-when-fft-met-moyes.aspx

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #227 on: July 2, 2013, 05:38:50 pm »

Busby - O'Farrell - Best

I certainly hope your right mate but, I'm not dancing a merry jig just yet.

Offline IndianRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Derp Derp
« Reply #228 on: July 2, 2013, 07:00:23 pm »
PoP mate, greatly appreciate your posts on this subject. But I do have a nagging question: If you, as a footballing outsider looking in, can foresee the problems due to the difference in fundamental playing principles between Moyes and Ferguson so well and how it can impact United's playing squad and style over the long run, isn't it a fair bet to say that Ferguson himself knows all about this, if not in even more detail, given that he must've seen so many scouting reports of Moyes over the years?

Atleast with the Rafa and Hodgson scenario, it was Christian "Fernando Torres of Finance" Purslow who handpicked Hodgson without a second thought of how it would cause us to slide on a slippery slope that could take years to recover from. But it is fair to say that Ferguson probably had the biggest say amongst everyone in United as to who his successor would be. So why would he handpick Moyes from any coach he could've chosen from across the world? As much as it appears as if Ferguson is handing out the biggest favor of them all to the most dedicated bootlicker in his old boys' club, there is his legacy at stake here. Would he want to taint it by appointing someone not upto the job and then letting him dismantle all the existing footballing infrastructure at the club by bringing his own men from Everton? There must be something he has seen in Moyes over the years, right?

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: July 2, 2013, 07:06:29 pm »
Ferguson rang up Ancellotti and asked him if he would like to take over before giving Moyes the chance
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: July 2, 2013, 07:15:06 pm »
PoP mate, greatly appreciate your posts on this subject. But I do have a nagging question: If you, as a footballing outsider looking in, can foresee the problems due to the difference in fundamental playing principles between Moyes and Ferguson so well and how it can impact United's playing squad and style over the long run, isn't it a fair bet to say that Ferguson himself knows all about this, if not in even more detail, given that he must've seen so many scouting reports of Moyes over the years?

Atleast with the Rafa and Hodgson scenario, it was Christian "Fernando Torres of Finance" Purslow who handpicked Hodgson without a second thought of how it would cause us to slide on a slippery slope that could take years to recover from. But it is fair to say that Ferguson probably had the biggest say amongst everyone in United as to who his successor would be. So why would he handpick Moyes from any coach he could've chosen from across the world? As much as it appears as if Ferguson is handing out the biggest favor of them all to the most dedicated bootlicker in his old boys' club, there is his legacy at stake here. Would he want to taint it by appointing someone not upto the job and then letting him dismantle all the existing footballing infrastructure at the club by bringing his own men from Everton? There must be something he has seen in Moyes over the years, right?

His legacy isn't at stake though. His record stands for itself, whatever happens next, and I would hazard a guess that he doesn't really care what happens to the team after that. Moyes is a "good 'ol boy" appointment, because there are plenty of managers who would have been better than Moyes. So you have to ask why he hand-picked Moyes. He wasn't the best candidate. But he's probably the least threatening to Ferguson's ego, and probably the most expendable if things go wrong. If Ferguson cared for his legacy, or had any involvement in maintaining it, I think the coaching staff would have been retained. Phelan and Meulentsteen and Steele leaving are huge signposts that Ferguson is now largely hands-off. If he wanted to maintain his legacy, their futures would have been safeguarded.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #231 on: July 2, 2013, 07:25:38 pm »

Is Moyes that bad of a manager? or are we just consoling ourselves that he manage to steer the bitters over us with lesser budget? He did pretty decent at the bitters. But as with any managerial appointment, it is always a gamble. Just hope he does more damage than good.

Just wondering too how the F(ergusons) A(rmy) and the refs would shape up the season. Wondering how many penalties they going to get at the Old Trafford this season with Moyes around......

Exactly. Spot on. He did fantastic at Everton. You just have to look at those pictures of him reclining with a smug grin on his face next to that raft of trophies he's won in his career. Class. Pure class. Manchester United are a lucky, lucky club to have him. They had to fight off the big names of European and world football to get their man. They didn't shirk and they didn't pussy foot about. They put their cards on the table and left the other massive clubs of world football crying into their beers over what could have been.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: July 2, 2013, 07:26:04 pm »
I almost want him to do well so all the mystic megs in this thread could eat some crow

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #233 on: July 2, 2013, 07:27:40 pm »

Genuinely tough to call the winner this time around,can't see a mass implosion like some have said.
They will be there or there about come the end of the season though,be amazed if the finished outside the top 4.

Personally think they will finish 2nd behind Chelsea and just ahead of City but i think it will be really really tight this year.

First. Another easy season for them. Everyone else in the league are gutless. They win it at a canter. Again. It's not how good they are that counts, it's how shite English football currently is.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: July 2, 2013, 07:56:30 pm »

In the league, he probably got the max out of his Everton team. However, his negativity and his tactics meant that they ended up with 0 success and nothing to show for it, apart from that one time they made into the champions league ... But didn't.

No, he's not that bad of a manager, he's a decent one, however, the fact he (just) finished above us last season doesn't mean a lot. Yeah he spent quite a bit less than us but he had also been managing the same side for more than a decade, whilst this was Rodgers' first season with us. He had to implement his style and tactics and Moyes has already instilled all that. So yeah, he finished 2 points above us. Well fucking done Moyes, 2 points after being with Everton for 10 years and us having our first season with Rodgers after trying to recover from one of the lowest points of our clubs history for quite some time. Well. Fucking. Done.

The very simple fact is, out of all the managers that they could have hired, Moyes is probably the worst option for them and th best for everyone else. Mourinho, Guardiola, Ancelloti, Pelligrini are all better options (in my opinion anyway) and then you have Moyes, who has won less at Everton over the last decade than Birmingham, Swansea, Wigan etc. Why? Not because he's a terrible manager, but because he is a very negative one. He fared well in the league because he was given time. How much will he get at Utd if his negative tactics are brought in? Or he struggles to keep the big players egos and frustration in line? Or if he exits early in cup competitions? Etc etc

They'll finish top 3. I can't see Moyes being capable enough to overcome Mourinho and the boost his appointment will give to Chelsea. Even Pelligrini, who I rate higher than Moyes, has arguably a better squad and more funds. Looking forward to it to be honest. Maybe I'm over optimistic but I can't see him being even close to the Utd in the past.

I almost want him to do well so all the mystic megs in this thread could eat some crow

Bizzare post.
« Last Edit: July 2, 2013, 08:15:50 pm by Sir Psycho Sexy »
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: July 2, 2013, 08:01:09 pm »

2nd or 3rd.

Shaping up to be a very interesting season (at least in terms of speculation before a ball is kicked)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #236 on: July 2, 2013, 08:05:28 pm »

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: July 2, 2013, 08:13:43 pm »
Fair enough@ Sir

Im just reminded of the talk last year with rodgers. 5 years ago somebody with his  CV would not have had a prayer of getting the Liverpool job. Early days still, but he is looking like being a breath of fresh air

You just dont know.

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #238 on: July 2, 2013, 08:15:52 pm »
First. Another easy season for them. Everyone else in the league are gutless. They win it at a canter. Again. It's not how good they are that counts, it's how shite English football currently is.
dont know, think arsenal or chelsea will win the league this year.

Arsene knows the league and how to win it and is against moyes who doesnt know how to win anything, Pellegrini who looks good but you cant really say anything about him and maureen who has a good squad on his hands and knows how to win the league so will probably be the biggest threat to him

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: July 2, 2013, 08:20:13 pm »
Fair enough@ Sir

Im just reminded of the talk last year with rodgers. 5 years ago somebody with his  CV would not have had a prayer of getting the Liverpool job. Early days still, but he is looking like being a breath of fresh air

You just dont know.

Different methods of coaching, different styles of play. Moyes builds his game on percentages and territory. Rodgers builds his game on technique, skill and movement. Over the course of history, the success of teams who develop the Rodgers way far outweighs the success of the teams who develop the Moyes way. People are committing the same fallacy that some committed when Hodgson took over us, or when Allardyce took over Newcastle - the fallacy of believing that a coach who plays a percentage game only does so because they don't have the resources, and that when those resources are available they will change their ways and play something closer to a pure game. But time and again that generally fails to be the case. Coaches have their methods and their philosophies, and they find it hard to shift them. Bielsa will always be Bielsa. Capello will always be Capello. Rodgers will always be Rodgers. And Moyes will always be Moyes. Same methods, different wage structure.