Author Topic: Xherdan Shaqiri - Sponsored by The Cube  (Read 450141 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Xherdan Shaqiri - Sponsored by The Cube
« Reply #1760 on: February 1, 2019, 05:35:59 pm »
He's been a passenger in the last several games he's started in.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1761 on: February 1, 2019, 05:48:00 pm »
He has had a poor Jan but is he the only one off the boil a little as he and the rest of the lads were flying in December but once the New Year came our attacking trio have scored 7 goals btw them all. I think they needed a break which they hopefully just got and we can kick on from here onwards. No point looking at Shaqiri (squad player) wondering why he has not continued his form as I am sure Klopp thought he be cover for Lallana & Keita in the attacking midfield role. Shaqiri has outscored and out assisted them combined. The lad should not ever be singled out as he has already surpassed our expectations.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1762 on: February 1, 2019, 05:53:23 pm »
He has had a poor Jan but is he the only one off the boil a little as he and the rest of the lads were flying in December but once the New Year came our attacking trio have scored 7 goals btw them all. I think they needed a break which they hopefully just got and we can kick on from here onwards. No point looking at Shaqiri (squad player) wondering why he has not continued his form as I am sure Klopp thought he be cover for Lallana & Keita in the attacking midfield role. Shaqiri has outscored and out assisted them combined. The lad should not ever be singled out as he has already surpassed our expectations.

He's not being singled out, this is a thread specifically about him, for good and poor performances. No one is blaming him for anything.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1763 on: February 1, 2019, 06:03:41 pm »
He's not being singled out, this is a thread specifically about him, for good and poor performances. No one is blaming him for anything.

Ok then sorry about that as I thought his recent performances were getting words like horrid, worse than I thought, he needs to step it up, just a passenger lately been thrown about. Apologies as glad to see he is not getting blamed for anything :boxhead
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #1764 on: February 1, 2019, 06:08:50 pm »
He's been a passenger in the last several games he's started in.

Don´t think he has stood out in a negative sense, apart from against Leicester.

Scored against Newcastle, hit the post from 25 yeards against Wolves, both not long ago. And he´s a squad player.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1765 on: February 1, 2019, 06:33:42 pm »
Ok then sorry about that as I thought his recent performances were getting words like horrid, worse than I thought, he needs to step it up, just a passenger lately been thrown about. Apologies as glad to see he is not getting blamed for anything :boxhead

So what am I blaming him for? Am I blaming him for team performances or results? I'm confused? I am talking about hs performances, and he's played poorly below what he's capable of.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1766 on: February 1, 2019, 08:11:13 pm »
It's a formation, it can be played any amount of ways, though. Just like our 433 is not actually  433 most of the time.

His recent lack of efficacy is down to the player, not the formation. He's playing a role that suits his skill set, he's just playing within himself too much.

You’re creating a straw man round my post - I didn’t say his efficacy had anything to do with the formation. My original post about it was ill worded and I shouldn’t have mentioned formation- I only did so to make the point that he’s our 4th attacker and we can’t really accommodate him in a 433 - or at least we’ve chosen not to from the start

Anyway as I said were talking past each other as what I’m interested in is what he’s supposed to be doing when he starts with the front 3 and why he’s not being effective at the moment - you've raised one possibility. I'm not so sure - he seems to have been more effective when hes come on higher up the pitch
What ever it is we still haven't solved the disconnect between the front 3 and the rest when we attack poorly 
« Last Edit: February 1, 2019, 11:55:51 pm by JackWard33 »

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1767 on: February 1, 2019, 08:58:16 pm »
It's a formation, it can be played any amount of ways, though. Just like our 433 is not actually  433 most of the time.

His recent lack of efficacy is down to the player, not the formation. He's playing a role that suits his skill set, he's just playing within himself too much.

Agree completely PoP. He is playing it a little bit safe at the moment. For me he keeps making a yard of space looks up and then ends up playing a square pass instead of looking for the killer ball. Personally I don't think it is that unexpected. Shaqiri is having to adjust to becoming a squad player after being a starter for years. Which doesn't really suit his body shape and fitness levels plus he is having to adjust to a Coach who expects far more from his players both in terms of work off the ball and more importantly tactically.

Shaqiri looks a little lost at the moment but then again a lot of new signings do under Klopp but then blossom.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #1768 on: February 1, 2019, 09:38:59 pm »
Agree completely PoP. He is playing it a little bit safe at the moment. For me he keeps making a yard of space looks up and then ends up playing a square pass instead of looking for the killer ball. Personally I don't think it is that unexpected. Shaqiri is having to adjust to becoming a squad player after being a starter for years. Which doesn't really suit his body shape and fitness levels plus he is having to adjust to a Coach who expects far more from his players both in terms of work off the ball and more importantly tactically.

Shaqiri looks a little lost at the moment but then again a lot of new signings do under Klopp but then blossom.

I'm not so sure...

See the thing is the expectancy level with Shaq has gone through the roof expectation-wise given his great start.

The point is none of he other MF's can match his output and ever will this campaign, so the focus on him is to continue his form is to be honest is fanciful.

And as mainly a sub its not really up to him to set the tempo.

A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1769 on: February 1, 2019, 10:01:52 pm »
I'd say his below par performances are part player part opposition.   The teams that we've played of late have been experts at sitting deep and closing the spaces he likes to exploit.  His best performances have come against Southampton who were shockingly disorganised - less now under Hasenhuttl - a Utd team who at the end of Mourinho's reign were shipping goals, Newcastle who have struggled all year with an unsettled backline and Arsenal - need I say more.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1770 on: February 2, 2019, 04:35:41 pm »
So what am I blaming him for? Am I blaming him for team performances or results? I'm confused? I am talking about hs performances, and he's played poorly below what he's capable of.

What is he capable of??  Just like what Tony says below the lad has surpassed our expectations and all of a sudden some are wondering why is not scoring or assisting in every second game. Like every other new player it should take time for him to bed in or he will have a period where his performances may suffer. I dont know what to take from your comments as I must be misreading them but when we lose or have a bad game, certain player topics suddenly appear at the top of the forum. It always seems to be the flair player, the passenger we cant afford out  there and honestly its these players we need the most when the banks of defenders turn up. Shaqiri has done his bit while others could be doing a lot more as they are the ones who are on the team sheet every week.

I'm not so sure...

See the thing is the expectancy level with Shaq has gone through the roof expectation-wise given his great start.

The point is none of he other MF's can match his output and ever will this campaign, so the focus on him is to continue his form is to be honest is fanciful.

And as mainly a sub its not really up to him to set the tempo.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1771 on: February 2, 2019, 05:25:03 pm »
What is he capable of??  Just like what Tony says below the lad has surpassed our expectations and all of a sudden some are wondering why is not scoring or assisting in every second game.

Playing well? Being impactful on the game? Not playing within himself? He doesn't have to score or assist in every game, but he does need to do more than he has in the last eight matches

Surpassed whose expectations? Perhaps yours, perhaps Tony's, but he's not exceeded my expectations because I didn't see him as a bum or an average player just because he played for Stoke. I've seen him enough prior to his signing for us to know what he's capable of. He can play better than what he has in recent weeks, he's already shown it at the club and he's certainly showed at Stoke.

I didn't expect him to start week in and week out because I don't think he needs to be starting week in and week out, I did expect him to contribute and he has massively. However that doesn't mean he gets a free pass when he isn't playing well. He's under performing, nothing less nothing more, nobody was having a go at him or blaming him for the result against Leicester.

I'm objective, regardless of performances. I've praised him when he's done well, as I have with other players.

Like every other new player it should take time for him to bed in or he will have a period where his performances may suffer. I dont know what to take from your comments as I must be misreading them but when we lose or have a bad game, certain player topics suddenly appear at the top of the forum. It always seems to be the flair player, the passenger we cant afford out  there and honestly its these players we need the most when the banks of defenders turn up. Shaqiri has done his bit while others could be doing a lot more as they are the ones who are on the team sheet every week.

I can only speak for myself, I can't speak for others nor do I want to, so that's not my concern. This is a thread specifically about him. When he plays well, I post and praise him. When he doesn't, I voice my opinion objectively. I do that with ever other player regardless of result.

Being a scapegoat for a result is far different than saying he's under performing. That's why I said I am not blaming him for a result or the team performance. Right now he needs to step it up. His price tag is irrelevant to me, because he has the quality. The price tag is due to the clause in his contract, that doesn't mean playing below his ability is acceptable.

Again i am not having a go at him. Just stating what I'm seeing. he can do more. And he needs to.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1772 on: February 2, 2019, 07:05:58 pm »
Lets agree to agree we both have valid points as if you break the season down into monthly sections he has under performed for that period while overall has been a success. Im sure you point out the pluses and minuses of other players so lets just let it be as no need to dwell on water under the bridge as the team as a whole both defensively n offensively can do with a bit of an improvement from here on.

Offline d_sookoo21

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1773 on: February 4, 2019, 10:17:17 pm »
he seems a different player to when he first joined
he’d pick up the ball and run and defenders making things happen
now he seems to collect the ball turn and lay it off to the centre halves lost all creativity

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1774 on: February 4, 2019, 10:18:43 pm »
He did some good things when he came on he had a couple of moves with Salah where had Mo been a bit sharper a goal might have been possible. I don't think its too much to worry about.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1775 on: February 4, 2019, 10:27:45 pm »
he seems a different player to when he first joined
he’d pick up the ball and run and defenders making things happen
now he seems to collect the ball turn and lay it off to the centre halves lost all creativity

Harsh to be honest. People overhyped him when he joined and his few good games. He's a okay to good player, who doesn't look out of place for a team wanting to win stuff. He's a got a good skillset, but there is a reason why he doesn't start every game. He joined as a squad filler, to judge him against anything else is harsh on him imo.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline lukeb1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1776 on: February 4, 2019, 10:33:14 pm »
He needs to pull the trigger more often , had a great chance to shoot then made a bollox of a pass to Salah .

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #1777 on: February 4, 2019, 10:53:18 pm »
He looks to have gone off the boil as well. He's not shooting when he gets into good areas and he overhit a number of passes today that just went out for goalkicks.

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1778 on: February 4, 2019, 11:13:59 pm »
Big fan of his but thought his positioning was a little off at times tonight. Like in the last 5 minutes, there were a few occasions when every West Ham player was behind the ball, and Shaqiri was one of our deepest players. We needed him in and around the box.

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #1779 on: February 9, 2019, 06:44:47 pm »
Was he injured today ?
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1780 on: February 9, 2019, 06:45:19 pm »
Was he injured today ?
Abdominal strain.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1781 on: February 9, 2019, 06:45:33 pm »
Was he injured today ?

Yeah minor injury but will be back next game.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
« Reply #1782 on: February 9, 2019, 06:45:34 pm »
Was he injured today ?

Yep. Slight knock.
Internet terrorist

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #1783 on: February 9, 2019, 06:51:19 pm »
Cheers guys,

Missed the update and was wondering why he wasn't on the bench at least.
A Great man once said...
It is terribly simple."

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #1784 on: February 9, 2019, 07:05:35 pm »
Cheers guys,

Missed the update and was wondering why he wasn't on the bench at least.

Me too, one of the lads sat near me said it was a stomach issue, as confirmed above.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1785 on: February 10, 2019, 02:45:11 am »
I imagine he'll be looking forward to the Bayern game more than most.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1786 on: February 10, 2019, 05:50:56 am »
I predict Shaqiri will score the winner against Bayern.
Believer

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1787 on: February 10, 2019, 06:38:15 am »
He also likes to score against manutd.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1788 on: February 10, 2019, 12:27:35 pm »
The extended rest might be good for him.

He's plummeted since the United game.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #1789 on: February 10, 2019, 12:55:17 pm »
Sometimes
At 70 mins
It's a draw
And I look down at the subs bench...
We need a spark
We need a chance
We need a goal
With your left or with your right foot...
Well since you signed from Stoke
I'd have played you every game
And I love your angry face
And your stocky little frame
Why don't you come on over
Start winning cups and winning leagues
Why don't you come on over Shaqiri.

(heartfelt apologies to Amy Winehouse)
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1790 on: February 10, 2019, 01:21:14 pm »
Sometimes
At 70 mins
It's a draw
And I look down at the subs bench...
We need a spark
We need a chance
We need a goal
With your left or with your right foot...
Well since you signed from Stoke
I'd have played you every game
And I love your angry face
And your stocky little frame
Why don't you come on over
Start winning cups and winning leagues
Why don't you come on over Shaqiri.

(heartfelt apologies to Amy Winehouse The Zutons)

Fixed.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #1791 on: February 28, 2019, 04:40:22 pm »
Was genuinely wondering just lately whether Shaqiri has pissed off the manager or has been really crap in training but he hasn't had a sniff for a while now. Didn't come on against Bayern, was overlooked for Sturridge against United and although Klopp got it spot-on last night, most were surprised Shaq didn't start against Watford.

Can't see him starting against the bitters on Sunday either. It doesn't seem that long ago that he had a run of starting games and was getting goals and assists fairly regularly.
FAME makes a man take things over

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1792 on: February 28, 2019, 04:43:35 pm »
Was genuinely wondering just lately whether Shaqiri has pissed off the manager or has been really crap in training but he hasn't had a sniff for a while now. Didn't come on against Bayern, was overlooked for Sturridge against United and although Klopp got it spot-on last night, most were surprised Shaq didn't start against Watford.

Can't see him starting against the bitters on Sunday either. It doesn't seem that long ago that he had a run of starting games and was getting goals and assists fairly regularly.

He's had injury issues recently I think its some muscle problem.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #1793 on: February 28, 2019, 04:50:07 pm »
He's had injury issues recently I think its some muscle problem.

Yeah, and in a stupid spot: abdominal. Can be really annoying.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1794 on: March 1, 2019, 07:08:00 am »
He's also not producing when he's been called upon so not such a surprise that the manager is trying other options.  Origi showed some energy and desire to run at players in his sub appearance against Utd, so no surprise he was given another chance to impress against Watford. 

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1795 on: March 1, 2019, 07:49:28 am »
He's also not producing when he's been called upon so not such a surprise that the manager is trying other options.  Origi showed some energy and desire to run at players in his sub appearance against Utd, so no surprise he was given another chance to impress against Watford.

Fourth in the team in terms of goals and assists
Better looking than Samie.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1796 on: March 1, 2019, 09:28:00 am »
He looked lively at times against Yernited, always wanting the ball, popping up in spaces, however it was one of those games where we didn’t function as an attacking unit meaning there was usually a complete lack of movement in front of him.

If we reinforce the front positions next season with a couple of quality additions, I think Shaq might find most of his game time coming at the front of the midfield three in competition with Ox.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1797 on: March 1, 2019, 10:37:44 am »
He was very far from the box during his time in the United match. He did not cause them any problems.

It is a possibility that we are now seeing the true character of the player coming out now after the initial enthusiasm when he first joined us, and the reason why he never reached the heights that he was potentially capable of in the top teams that he has previously been a part of. 

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
Xherdan Shaqiri - Sponsored by The Cube
« Reply #1798 on: March 1, 2019, 10:40:48 am »
He was very far from the box during his time in the United match. He did not cause them any problems.

It is a possibility that we are now seeing the true character of the player coming out now after the initial enthusiasm when he first joined us, and the reason why he never reached the heights that he was potentially capable of in the top teams that he has previously been a part of.
Seriously?

Have a word with yourself.

Speculative bollocks

When body language analysis no longer cuts it....

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1799 on: March 1, 2019, 10:47:15 am »

Or, like a few of our players this calendar year. Has just lost a little form and its harder for him because he doesnt play enough, to play his way into it.
Seasons are up and down for teams and for players.