Author Topic: Trump Faceached & Twattered. "Instakarma's gonna getcha....." #bannedontherun  (Read 844589 times)

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Trump Faceached & Twattered. "Instakarma's gonna getcha....." #bannedontherun
« Reply #19680 on: January 14, 2021, 10:54:06 pm »
Originally he claimed he was working for nothing.  Then, when Trump wanted to contest the election, Rudy wanted something like £20k a day.  Wonder what happened there? ::)

While he's obviously shite, I think it is perfectly reasonable of Rudy to want his cut after seeing that all these inept challenges were only being dragged out so that trump had more time to fleece his followers for donations.  ;D

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Trump Faceached & Twattered. "Instakarma's gonna getcha....." #bannedontherun
« Reply #19681 on: January 14, 2021, 11:11:08 pm »
One of my colleagues in the US had more than $100k in debt upon leaving college.

And its a lot more common than you think as an ex gf  had a 40k debt from a very average college. Its a joke of a country at times and here we are wondering why there is rage bubbling onto the streets from all sides. Because from their view its justified as while the BLM marches was like a tea party compared to the shyte we saw last week, everyone now and then in so many countries would love to grab their politicians and shake some sense into them. They are suppose to make our lives better and for decades you see a little more required to cover health costs, living costs, education etc etc where now both parents have to work and you wonder if you can afford to send your kids to school. Posters here are furious about last Wednesday but the more I think about it the less surprised I am as we stumble through our lives around hurdles that our elected government throw at us. It was a decade ago or more when they tried to restrict the lobbyist access, I am not sure about that but in the 8 years under Obama lobbyists spent more money than they did in the 20 years prior. When you see health companies sliding up to your President during the same period you have to wonder as in 30 years that industry went from like 5% GDP to close to 20%. Its all a racket and as I said the more you think about it the more you want to pin your politician to the wall and ask him why are you taking the money out of my pockets that I had saved for my kids education. Anyway rant over.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19682 on: January 14, 2021, 11:24:03 pm »
Trump will soon fuck off.

This impeachment however, is totally moronic and needless.

The country is raw, and hugely divided. This is more than Trump. He'll be off sunning it in Florida sitting on the millions he's made.

74 million wanted it to go the other way. Biden talked about unity, and no doubt will do so again at the inauguration, but Pelosi and Schumer seemingly think it's better to settle scores and keep picking at the scab.

The fucker will be gone in a week or so. Biden has an opportunity to come out and say the events that unfolded are horrible, unfortunate, but they are behind us, the country needs to overcome its differences and come together. Draw a line under the past administration and reach out to one another to get along.

But nah, let's waste valuable tax payer money on a show (that will likely fail) for an idiot who won't even be there, just because why not. All the while further alienating nearly half the population.

What makes you think Trump will walk away from politics or have no influence on US politics for as long as he lives. whats stopping him standing as a independent again in the next election when the witch hunt dies down. it is a political witch hunt after all isn't it or is that a matter of opinion?
 how do people feel about loads of schools and public buildings being renamed Trump. will that unite the country or cause more confrontation, all these things may well happen if Trumps not impeached.

Waste of tax payers money to scrutinize the President and witnesses under oath to find the truth. that could be the best thing possible as it would end some of the arguments and maybe help some Americans to accept the truth, am thinking of questions like, evidence the election was stolen etc etc being asked under oath.
How much does Impeachment cost ? interesting question I never gave much thought to it to be honest as as I think other things are far more important but looked it up just the same, surprisingly nothing according to this source, the money needed is already a part of the US budget so will cost the TAX payer nothing.
Anyway I would be more concerned about the cost of security for every US State in the future, cost of security in the Capitol building etc from now on, this is going to cost a fortune.
https://www.rollcall.com/2020/01/31/cost-how-much-is-impeachment/
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 12:50:11 am by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19683 on: January 15, 2021, 12:17:36 am »
Having lived in Fla I know what you mean.

I just don't think this will end with the impeachment. By "this" I don't mean what the Dems do, I mean the back and forth. It's getting more and more bitter and twisted. Tons of whatabout-ism on either side.

Politics swing like a pendulum if both sides keep score and try to one up, then the country as a whole will be poorer for it.

Eidt: just saw Caligula's post above mine, and that is exactly the kind of nonsense I suspect will keep happening.

I don't understand this logic at all.  "try to one up". He incited an insurrection.  They stormed the seat of parliament in an effort to stop the validation of an election.   This isn't just political dirty dealings it's an attempted coup.  Their country will be poorer for not impeaching him.  The fact that it took a week is a joke in and of itself.

I've seen governments come and go, meeting an extreme with an extreme never turned out well for the ones in the middle.

How is it "an extreme" to use the appropriate mechanism to deal with a president who tried to overthrow a branch of government?

Republicans respond to power. They don't respond to unity and sharing. The have no desire to make peace because they want a power struggle.

This.  Every time this. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 12:38:39 am by leroy »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19684 on: January 15, 2021, 12:42:16 am »
I should explain that when I said fuck the 74m I am talking about this issue alone.Luckily for them the Dems are nothing like the other lot and do attempt to govern for all even though nothing is ever good enough for Republicans who in the main would rather see granny die than see a successful Dem POTUS.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #19685 on: January 15, 2021, 12:44:45 am »
Imagine a country where Democrats didn't actually try stick to the rules.

What an utter shit show it would be.

You'd have to wonder what the Republicans would say then ;)

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #19686 on: January 15, 2021, 02:27:54 am »
Imagine a country where Democrats didn't actually try stick to the rules.

What an utter shit show it would be.

You'd have to wonder what the Republicans would say then ;)

I’m all in.  Let’s do it.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline lamad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19687 on: January 15, 2021, 02:49:59 am »
Never a more gentle soul than my client. Just said by the lawyer of the shaman guy on the phone to CNN. Says they want a pardon by Trump. Says Trump invited them and he did not break in, the doors to the Capital were opened for him. Apart from the absurdity of it all (and of course even a crazy shaman guy has the right to a lawyer), if he wants a pardon doesn't that mean he did break in, i.e. he admits to committing a crime? Is this a logical way to argue or am I too thick to understand this?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 04:30:23 am by lamad »

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19688 on: January 15, 2021, 02:57:29 am »
Never a more gentle soul than my client. Just said by the lawyer of the shaman guy on the phone to CNN. Says they want a pardon by Trump. Says Trump invited them and he did not break in, the doors to the Capital were opened to him. Apart from the absurdity of it all (and of course even a crazy shaman guy has the right to a lawyer), if he wants a pardon doesn't that mean he did break in, i.e. he admits to committing a crime? Is this a logical way to argue or am I too thick to understand this?

They're all at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9RURKFNuaU&feature=emb_err_woyt
The MAGA rioter accused of viciously beating a police officer with an American flag pole during last week's Capitol siege who said 'Death is the only remedy for what’s in that building' has been arrested.

Peter Francis Stager, of Arkansas, was arrested and charged with obstructing, impeding, or interfering with a law enforcement officer on Thursday for hitting a uniformed Metropolitan Police officer guarding the entrance to the Capitol during the January 6 riot.

Stager was identified after videos showing the moment a mob of Trump supporters attacked and repeatedly hit a police officer on the ground on the steps of the Capitol circulated online, the FBI said in a court affidavit.

In the clip Stager, wearing a camouflage print jacket, repeatedly strikes the officer with the pole affixed to the US flag he was carrying.

Stager told the second informant he was 'wired up' from either pepper spray or tear gas and that’s why he made his comments in the video about treason and death.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #19689 on: January 15, 2021, 03:11:40 am »
This article re: Trump's final days in office is revealing

Trump has been consumed by the unraveling of his presidency during his last days in office, according to people around him, which included a casual discussion among advisers recently about a possible resignation.

Trump shut the idea down almost immediately. And he has made clear to aides in separate conversations that mere mention of President Richard Nixon, the last president to resign, were banned.

He told one adviser during an expletive-laden conversation recently never to bring up the ex-president ever again. During the passing mention of resigning this week, Trump told people he couldn't count on Vice President Mike Pence to pardon him like Gerald Ford did Nixon, anyway.

Eager for a final taste of the pomp of being president, Trump has asked for a major send-off on Inauguration Day next week, according to people familiar with the matter, before one last presidential flight to Palm Beach.

But the signs of his impending departure are everywhere -- including right outside his window. Workers hung bunting Thursday that read "2021 Biden-Harris Inauguration" from temporary stands across from the White House North Portico. It was visible from his third-story residence.

Inside the building, Trump has been weathering a second impeachment and growing isolation from his onetime allies in sullen desolation. He has grown more and more worried about what legal or financial calamities may await him when he is no longer president, people who have spoken to him said, fueled by warnings from lawyers and advisers. He is weighing pardons, including for himself and his family, as he attempts to muster a legal team for another impeachment trial. And he is resentful of Republicans who he feels abandoned him in his hour of need, including the GOP leaders of the House and Senate.

Aides have pleaded with Trump to deliver some type of farewell address, either live or taped, that would tick through his accomplishments in office. But he has appeared disinterested and noncommittal. On Thursday, it was Pence carrying out tasks ordinarily left to a president, like visiting national guardsmen posted at the US Capitol or visiting White House operators to say farewell.

[...]

As one of their final acts, Trump's team is working to organize a crowd to see him off on the morning of Biden's inauguration, when he plans to depart Washington while still president and is expecting a major send-off. Even though some of his allies had encouraged him to attend Biden's inauguration, and Trump quizzed his circle on whether he should, few ever expected him to participate in the swearing-in of his successor.

Trump told people he did not like the idea of departing Washington for a final time as an ex-president, flying aboard an airplane no longer known as Air Force One. He also did not particularly like the thought of requesting the use of the plane from Biden, according to a person familiar with the matter.

For now, Trump is undecided on whether he will pen a letter to Biden to leave in the Resolute Desk in the Oval Office. Some of his advisers have encouraged him to think about continuing the tradition. Early in his presidency, Trump liked to show off to visitors the letter he received from President Barack Obama, which included the now-prescient line: "Regardless of the push and pull of daily politics, it's up to us to leave those instruments of our democracy at least as strong as we found them."

Initially, Trump had planned to depart the White House a day early. But he now plans to leave on the morning of January 20. His departure aboard Marine One from the White House South Lawn will likely be visible and audible to the Bidens, who will spend the night before the inauguration at Blair House, across Pennsylvania Avenue from the executive mansion. Its use was offered to them by the State Department rather than the Trumps, who refuse to make contact with the incoming president and first lady.

[...]

A person familiar with the matter said the White House Military Office will ensure there are multiple nuclear footballs -- one to accompany Trump to Florida and one that will be ready in Washington for when Biden officially becomes president. The nuclear codes Trump carries on a card alongside the football -- the so-called "biscuit" -- would no longer work past noon.

[...]

According to those around him, Trump has been more focused on potential post-presidency legal woes since well before the November election, and his worry has increased in the months since, people familiar with the matter said.

Yet he has also been lashing out at aides, allies and lawyers trying to protect him from criminal exposure following his role in inciting rioters during last week's insurrection attempt at the US Capitol. Some of his attorneys have tried to explain that his notion of a self-pardon may not hold up, which has led some inside Trump's circle to believe he is less likely to attempt it before he leaves office.

Those concerns are partly what helped convince Trump to record a video on Wednesday condemning the riots and insisting they did not reflect his political movement.

"No true supporter of mine could ever endorse political violence. No true supporter of mine could ever disrespect law enforcement or our great American flag," he said from behind the Resolute Desk in the Oval Office.

Trump had seemed reluctant to tape the video, in part because he believes the carefully denunciations of his supporters make him look like he's caving to pressure to tone down his stance on the election.

[...]

While Trump has long fretted about his potential legal troubles, it has only been recently that he has weighed anxiously the potential business downsides to his divisive tenure. The decision by the PGA this week to strip his Bedminster, New Jersey, golf course of a championship tournament infuriated the President.

Another discussion that could be hampered by the fallout from the riot he helped stoke is his presidential library. Before Trump's rabble-rousing speech, there had been talk of securing property in Florida and having Dan Scavino, his longtime aide, run it. But now there are questions about who would donate to Trump's library in the current climate.

[...]

The circle of obsequious aides that have surrounded him for most of his term is shrinking, replaced by only a few -- such as Scavino and personnel chief Johnny McEntee -- who will remain with him until he departs the White House.

The President has been discussing his election conspiracy theories with his former chief strategist Steve Bannon -- who's facing federal fraud charges -- in recent weeks, a senior Trump adviser confirmed, as he pushes away advisers who tell him what he doesn't want to hear.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/01/14/politics/donald-trump-presidency-ending/index.html?

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19690 on: January 15, 2021, 03:15:23 am »
They're all at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9RURKFNuaU&feature=emb_err_woyt
The MAGA rioter accused of viciously beating a police officer with an American flag pole during last week's Capitol siege who said 'Death is the only remedy for what’s in that building' has been arrested.

Peter Francis Stager, of Arkansas, was arrested and charged with obstructing, impeding, or interfering with a law enforcement officer on Thursday for hitting a uniformed Metropolitan Police officer guarding the entrance to the Capitol during the January 6 riot.

Stager was identified after videos showing the moment a mob of Trump supporters attacked and repeatedly hit a police officer on the ground on the steps of the Capitol circulated online, the FBI said in a court affidavit.

In the clip Stager, wearing a camouflage print jacket, repeatedly strikes the officer with the pole affixed to the US flag he was carrying.

Stager told the second informant he was 'wired up' from either pepper spray or tear gas and that’s why he made his comments in the video about treason and death.

Wow. He's surely going to have a great time in detention. No chance someone accidentally leaves a cell door open.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19691 on: January 15, 2021, 03:35:18 am »
Which is why middle America has become a boiling point right now. It has been that way for decades as the manufacturing industries have left, big stores on the edge of towns have closed all the mom & pop shops and you can see why people become so bitter. The heart of their towns have been destroyed and all the investment / infrastructure is going to the coastlines and one or two cities in each state. Take a drive from East to West and you see some beautiful old towns with gorgeous architecture but the main strip will be a ghost town. Your President never comes to see you or seek your vote as he knows he does not need it. Its been that way since the 70s as over 40% of the population make less than $15 an hour that's about 11 quid before taxes. They dont see much help coming as unless they move to a city where they probably cant afford to live or get a job they are unqualified for then what is going to happen? Well we saw 4 years ago they were ready to vote a grifter in as they were ready for something different as the status quo was not working for them. Call them fools but they will say they were desperate and what we saw last Wednesday is a culmination of that desperation. The vast majority are just hard working high school educated decent people who would say if you think working 50 plus hours a week to live in a shyte house barely scraping by is privileged then FU. 99.9% of them were not there at the Capitol as many of those idiots are just that but Biden cannot ignore 77m people is a huge indicator the country is broken and need someone to give them hope. For a country with so much potential to end up with such bitterness and broken spirit from both white and black societies highlights the system is not right. Trump can feck off as he was the user of all users and Joe might start the wheels in motion but I doubt it. Those in power are either happy with what they have or need the chaos to succeed.

Helpful and very informative post. Great contribution

The mind boggling thing is a lot of these people voted for Bush's 2nd term, and also hated Obama. That is completely the wrong way around

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #19692 on: January 15, 2021, 04:17:50 am »

14 videos and updating of videos from parler from the capital.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLq6cQ--4f90ja7xShfORhnlvnvHaG05zj

Offline lamad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19693 on: January 15, 2021, 04:29:31 am »
I just had a laughing fit: CNN tells about a rioter having been arrested by the FBI and the guy told them he wasn't there (at the Capitol). So then they show him a picture of him there, which he himself had posted online. And he said "wow, you are really good - that was only up for an hour". I feel sort of bad about laughing about it, but I mean... the utter stupidity of some of them is just beyond words.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19694 on: January 15, 2021, 04:41:50 am »

Facial recognition software should be working overtime on all the self-evidence.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #19695 on: January 15, 2021, 05:22:00 am »

Rep. Linda Sanchez:

"I am working on a bill that would mean that nothing — not even a bench, no airport, no highway, no school — nothing – ever bear the name of this traitor."

Offline lamad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19696 on: January 15, 2021, 05:41:14 am »
Which is why middle America has become a boiling point right now. It has been that way for decades as the manufacturing industries have left, big stores on the edge of towns have closed all the mom & pop shops and you can see why people become so bitter. The heart of their towns have been destroyed and all the investment / infrastructure is going to the coastlines and one or two cities in each state. Take a drive from East to West and you see some beautiful old towns with gorgeous architecture but the main strip will be a ghost town. Your President never comes to see you or seek your vote as he knows he does not need it. Its been that way since the 70s as over 40% of the population make less than $15 an hour that's about 11 quid before taxes. They dont see much help coming as unless they move to a city where they probably cant afford to live or get a job they are unqualified for then what is going to happen? Well we saw 4 years ago they were ready to vote a grifter in as they were ready for something different as the status quo was not working for them. Call them fools but they will say they were desperate and what we saw last Wednesday is a culmination of that desperation. The vast majority are just hard working high school educated decent people who would say if you think working 50 plus hours a week to live in a shyte house barely scraping by is privileged then FU. 99.9% of them were not there at the Capitol as many of those idiots are just that but Biden cannot ignore 77m people is a huge indicator the country is broken and need someone to give them hope. For a country with so much potential to end up with such bitterness and broken spirit from both white and black societies highlights the system is not right. Trump can feck off as he was the user of all users and Joe might start the wheels in motion but I doubt it. Those in power are either happy with what they have or need the chaos to succeed.
While you make some valid points, we must be careful to absolve people of their responsibity of what happened last week. Being desperate does not justify violence in a democracy. You can protest, you can speak your mind, you can try to change things. You do not go and try to kill police and lawmakers. In many, maybe/probably in most cases, what happened last week was not out of desperation, but out of hate and election delusions after listening to lies for years and falling down that rabbit hole completely.

Also the myth that the poor and desperate make up the main part of Trump voters and those who flirt with the ideas of the extreme right... not so sure that stands. From various sources it is stated that among those last week there were lawyers, estate agents, middle class folk with jobs and a life. Now, I admit I do not have a proper breakdown of voter figures for the latest US election. But I do know that the same arguments are made about who votes for the right wing nazi party in my country: it is the destitute and poor, those who have been left behind and feel no one else gives them a voice. And it really is not true. Many of those actually vote conservative or social democratic parties. Instead there is an awful lot of middle to upper class people, who are well off economically and socially, who vote for the extreme right. It is not so easy as saying people are desperate with how their lives are going and so are bound to vote a certain way.

And high school educated as well as desperate folk were fine to vote for someone who told lies from the beginning and who fanned the flames of hate. You get no understanding from me when, as disillusioned with the status quo or as fearful of the future you might be, you point your fingers at immigrants and people of colour and think it will make your life better if you trample on and disrespect others.

When you were at that protest last week and you looked around you and you saw guys with 'Camp Auschwitz' shirts, confederate flags or any of the other shit widely on display there - not even mentioning what was being said - you fucking should have left. Anybody who lies in bed and votes for people who court nazis and proudly adopt their slogans and their thinking gets NO wriggle room from me, none. It's not that they try to sell you a better world by pretending to be nice people. It was clear what team Trump was from the start.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19697 on: January 15, 2021, 06:05:52 am »
20k national guard in DC which is 3 times the amount of active duty troops in Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria combined.

Trump - Bringing the war home.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #19698 on: January 15, 2021, 06:15:31 am »
I was going to put that in too.

The irony of so many Americans hating black people and immigrants generally, yet who was it that ripped so many natives of Africa from their families and homes then forcibly brought them over to America as slaves. Er, yes, it was immigrants in America who had previously murdered the original people of America.

And let’s be clear as well, it was the English Establishment who conquered the Americas. Just like it had tried to do in Ireland on a smaller scale, it encouraged emigration to the “colonies” to set up an overseer class to run the colonies for them. The fly in the ointment came when that “overseer” class or Middle Class, decided on no taxation without representation. The war of independence was a war of rebellion in Hanoverian eyes. What it did was transfer the running of a slavocracy from the hands of our aristocracy here, to the slave planter aristocracy in situ.
Eventually with the failure of the land system in Ireland resulting in the great famine. -Ireland during the famine was still exporting foodstuffs to England to pay the Aristocracy its rents, millions of the Irish people who managed to survive were forced off the land and sought refuge elwhere - the USA included.
They, along with the German Catholics fleeing the revolutions of 1848 became the “wage slaves” of the Northern Cities, as the plantation class liked to call them, in an attempt to normalise slavery.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #19699 on: January 15, 2021, 06:18:23 am »

Those Parler scraped videos are all going up on a site showing the map references of where they were taken.
Any taken on the steps or even the park are proof of trespass on the day.
There’s hundreds of them.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #19700 on: January 15, 2021, 06:23:33 am »

https://youtu.be/ebh0o4BdKLs

Clock the fat arl feller dressed as Caesar in a woolly beanie and sandals walking around filming.
I don’t know whether to laugh or cry at his stupidity.

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19701 on: January 15, 2021, 06:31:38 am »
20k national guard in DC which is 3 times the amount of active duty troops in Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria combined.

Getting his military parade. more soldiers present than Obama!! MAGA!!!
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19702 on: January 15, 2021, 07:21:41 am »
I should explain that when I said fuck the 74m I am talking about this issue alone.Luckily for them the Dems are nothing like the other lot and do attempt to govern for all even though nothing is ever good enough for Republicans who in the main would rather see granny die than see a successful Dem POTUS.

In reality that ‘74m’ consists of those who vote Republican irrespective of the leader.  The hard core Trump cult of extremists will be lower.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #19703 on: January 15, 2021, 07:30:58 am »
Rep. Linda Sanchez:

"I am working on a bill that would mean that nothing — not even a bench, no airport, no highway, no school — nothing – ever bear the name of this traitor."

If you visit the Doge's Palace in Venice then they have a ring or portraits around the top of the grand chamber's walls of each man to hold the position during their days as an independent Republic. Venice's Republic was incredibly 'modern' by the standard of the middle ages, they had a ruling council legislature seperated from the Doge, which was considered more of a symbolic head of state role (much like the US presidency was envisaged to be).

One, just one, of those portraits (a man named Falieri) is blacked out. I've occasionally wondered whether Trump would end up with a similar fate, semi-officially, due to his overally unfitness for office. Turns out he needed to go full Falieri and launch a coup to try to wrest power from the legislative branch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marino_Faliero
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #19704 on: January 15, 2021, 08:08:54 am »

If you visit the Doge's Palace in Venice then they have a ring or portraits around the top of the grand chamber's walls of each man to hold the position during their days as an independent Republic. Venice's Republic was incredibly 'modern' by the standard of the middle ages, they had a ruling council legislature seperated from the Doge, which was considered more of a symbolic head of state role (much like the US presidency was envisaged to be).

One, just one, of those portraits (a man named Falieri) is blacked out. I've occasionally wondered whether Trump would end up with a similar fate, semi-officially, due to his overally unfitness for office. Turns out he needed to go full Falieri and launch a coup to try to wrest power from the legislative branch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marino_Faliero

Completely random but thanx for this. I will certainly read up about this!

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #19705 on: January 15, 2021, 08:10:25 am »

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #19706 on: January 15, 2021, 08:29:07 am »

Seems wild to me that there's about the same gap between the end of the civil war and the end of WW2 (80 years) as there is between the end of WW2 and now (76 years). Somehow WW2 still seems reasonably recent whilst the civil war is virtually ancient history. Maybe that's down to having known people who were alive in '45, but never having met anybody who could have witnessed the former.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #19707 on: January 15, 2021, 08:39:27 am »
This is pretty wild;

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/news/special-features/2014/11/141111-veterans-day-150-anniversary-civil-war-memories

It’s from 6/7 years ago, but there must be more people around who remember grandparents who fought in the civil war & were brought up on its stories for good or bad.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19708 on: January 15, 2021, 08:42:55 am »

Good job Trump recalled all those troops. Although it probably means Biden will have more people at his inauguration than 45.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #19709 on: January 15, 2021, 08:47:54 am »
Completely random but thanx for this. I will certainly read up about this!

The history of Venice is fascinating, they rose as a republican trading power in the early Dark Ages at a time when most of the rest of Europe started to transition from the collapse of the Roman Empire into growing kingdoms constantly at war over land. They did go to war but mostly just to secure trading routes and outposts across the Mediterranean. They were never that interested in blindly following the Vatican and even their involvement in the Crusades was just charging other states to ship their troops across (the Fourth Crusade is especially notorious - the Crusade was delayed over winter and the Venetians charged all the waiting troops rent for staying on the lagoon. As a way of payment, the Crusade was directed against Christian cities that were rivals to Venice and they never even made it to the Holy Land).

Their decline began with the discovery of the New World and they were eventually overrun by Napoleon's forces before being swallowed up by the newly-unifying Italy in the mid-19th century.

Anyway, that Trump then. Bit of a wally, as I've read on here.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 08:59:27 am by Riquende »

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19710 on: January 15, 2021, 08:51:38 am »
  He told one adviser during an expletive-laden conversation recently never to bring up the ex-president ever again. During the passing mention of resigning this week, Trump told people he couldn't count on Vice President Mike Pence to pardon him like Gerald Ford did Nixon, anyway.   

Oh look. It has some sense of self awareness. Maybe next time you might want a pardon, you might want to not try and get the only guy who can give it to you murdered?

From what I've seen from the likes if Glenn Kirschner, a self pardon wont stand up if it's challenged - and it would be challenged.

The concept of the pardon is two fold. It's an act of mercy - one cannot show mercy to oneself. And the second is, you cannot be the judge of your own trial.

Popcorn's Art

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #19711 on: January 15, 2021, 09:01:39 am »
Rep. Linda Sanchez:

Is there an exemption for naming a Federal Prison?

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
This is pretty wild;

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/news/special-features/2014/11/141111-veterans-day-150-anniversary-civil-war-memories

It’s from 6/7 years ago, but there must be more people around who remember grandparents who fought in the civil war & were brought up on its stories for good or bad.
This bit is particularly pertinent to today's trouble and the video yesterday of the teacher saying it was antifa who caused the riots means it's still happening.

Allegiance Lives On

Clifford Hamm—whose father John, fought for the South serving in the 71st Regiment, North Carolina Troops—recalls, "My seventh- and eighth-grade teacher Mrs. Little, taught about the war from the Southern point of view.  To her, it was the war of Northern aggression—not the Civil War because there was nothing civil about it."

Clifford, who followed in his father's warrior footsteps as a U.S. Marine in World War II, says he still thinks of the War Between the States the way Mrs. Little did.

"My father would never acknowledge the South was defeated," he says.  "He used the word 'overcome.'"

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19714 on: January 15, 2021, 09:21:08 am »
Rep. Linda Sanchez:

What about towers and golf courses?

Popcorn's Art

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19715 on: January 15, 2021, 09:22:13 am »
What about towers and golf courses?

Public v Private.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
This bit is particularly pertinent to today's trouble and the video yesterday of the teacher saying it was antifa who caused the riots means it's still happening.

Allegiance Lives On

Clifford Hamm—whose father John, fought for the South serving in the 71st Regiment, North Carolina Troops—recalls, "My seventh- and eighth-grade teacher Mrs. Little, taught about the war from the Southern point of view.  To her, it was the war of Northern aggression—not the Civil War because there was nothing civil about it."

Clifford, who followed in his father's warrior footsteps as a U.S. Marine in World War II, says he still thinks of the War Between the States the way Mrs. Little did.

"My father would never acknowledge the South was defeated," he says.  "He used the word 'overcome.'"

I remember reading somewhere about how some old guy, about 90 odd, was on a game show in the 60s. The panel were trying to guess his secret or some such. Turned out he was the last living witness to Abraham Lincoln's assassination; he'd been about 4 or 5 years old in the theatre.

We think of the civil war as something far and distant,  just history. But it's only recently passed from living memory. Yeah, 60 years is s whole lifetime, but anyone born before 1950 overlaps with people who saw it with their own eyes.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19717 on: January 15, 2021, 09:33:53 am »
Public v Private.

I'm reminded of that scene in The Crucible, where the guy begs them, "don't take my name!"

That was a play about a witch hunt. ;)

Popcorn's Art

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”

Allegiance Lives On

The American Historian McPherson has written quite a bit on how the defeated slave states were able to seize the educational narrative.
The Daughters of the Confederacy and other pressure groups were able to pressurise education boards on which texts, and as a result the narrative, they felt should be taught. They were responsible for statues of rebel generals, notably the one of the commander of Andersonville Prisoner of war camp who they claim was judicially murdered on the plaque. He was in charge of what was in effect a death camp.
In one essay he mentions how Woodrow Wilson only learnt the “real” version of events once he went to university. All his life he had been brought up to believe it was a war to remove states rights.
Even today, schools are pressurised as to which texts they can use.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #19719 on: January 15, 2021, 10:59:34 am »

Waste of tax-payers' money, says TipTopKop.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.