Author Topic: Liverpool owner Hicks selling Texas Rangers shares  (Read 302810 times)

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Re: Liverpool owner Hicks selling Texas Rangers shares
« Reply #2760 on: May 14, 2009, 01:37:44 pm »
medium term status of the club will erode.

Anybody explain that ?

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #2761 on: May 14, 2009, 01:43:44 pm »
medium term status of the club will erode.

Anybody explain that ?

In ten years time, we'll be back to scrapping it out for UEFA cup places.

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #2762 on: May 14, 2009, 01:47:57 pm »
Medium term status?

There's the financial side of the club and then there's the playing side.

Rafa has signed a new contract.

We have a good spine of the club.

We can afford 4-5-6 top players. And afford to have a squad of decent players.

Without a new stadium.

And we compete at the highest levels.

The difference for the future is Rafa is now in charge of tranfers and dealings for new players. He now is in charge of the youth set up. He wasn't before and look how well we've competed.

Any players thinking about changing clubs still sees LFC and Anfield as a great place to play. Rafa will continue to attrach top talent and find good bargains for the squad.

So we will continue to compete at the highest levels and we will bring Trophies home.

That to me is not and never has been --medium term status.

We dont operate in isolation though. We cant afford to stand still, as our rivals will not.

Plus, we dont know how many of the players bought were bought with money generated by the club or loans, which we cant rely on forever. If you believe some people here, we've never actually paid any of the interest back, just rolled it up, but again we cant keep doing this forever. And when that time comes, where is the £20-30 million in interest going to come from?

Money doesnt gurantee success as we all know, but it does help.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline lfctitch

• Legacy Fan
  • Titch
    • CS5 Design
« Reply #2763 on: May 14, 2009, 02:06:53 pm »
Got to agree with Xeres with this one, I said pretty much this last week. Without new owners we will be in a tough situation, and I believe an even tougher situation for RBS which is why I still hold out hope.

Take these scenarios.

1. Bank tells G&H find a buyer, at £300-350 million (likely about the size of the loan) bank gets money back.
And those that say there are no buyers; perhaps not at £400 million, but if G&H went public with the club up for sale at that price, and let the worlds media know, then somebody would come a sniffing.

Or

2. Bank extends G&H loan,
- in the short term the loan will be paid back
- in the medium term less money is spent on playing staff thus us losing the champions league/europe places to the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea Tottenham, City, Villa, United etc.
- In the long term not only will the interest get harder to pay, but the value of the club, will slip.

The value of the club diminishes, we wont be an attractive purchase for any buyer, and the bank will be left with a huge loan, and less interest.

---

Surely option 1 is the only option. Whilst short term the banks might think G&H are okay, in the long term they know that without playing staff investment, the whole thing collapses.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #2764 on: May 14, 2009, 02:47:15 pm »
So basically we are none the wiser than we were about 6 months ago ??

the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline wednesday25052005

• Kopite
  • JFT96
« Reply #2765 on: May 14, 2009, 02:51:49 pm »
I'd really love to believe something is happening secretly behind the scenes but I'm unfortunatey resigned to the fact that the deadly duo are here for the forseeable future and will get the refinance from reading the posts of those who seem to understand the DODGY world of finance - Gutted :(
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 02:53:22 pm by wednesday25052005 »

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #2766 on: May 14, 2009, 03:08:57 pm »
Strange statement to make. Of course there would be buyers at this price but why would the muppets consider selling for 300 million? And they can't be forced to do this. They would rather re-finance and continue to get the interest being paid until things pick up and a buyer comes in with a more realistic offer. From the banks point of view they can either allow this to happen or call in the loan which, as has been said, they do not want to do as they don't want to be left with the responsibility of owning and running the club.
They'll get their re-finance and all we can do is hope that they eventually sell at a realistic price to reasonable owners. They're going nowhere until  that happens.
Their refinance is not definate.  If the banks refused refinance they would have to sell at a lower price,  300 million is probably about rock bottom the americans could afford to sell at.  If refinance is not made they dont have much choice. 
Disclaimer: The above post may not be based on facts even if stated as fact.

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #2767 on: May 14, 2009, 03:11:44 pm »
I will be shocked if you get any true news on this subject.

Anyway, what will protests to RBS do?

add a con to the pros and cons list when deciding refinance. 

pro et contra

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #2768 on: May 14, 2009, 03:17:04 pm »
So basically we are none the wiser than we were about 6 months ago ??

We now know its been another six months since six months ago.

Offline PhilAnderer

• Kopite
  • Smack my arse
« Reply #2769 on: May 14, 2009, 03:34:57 pm »
So basically we are none the wiser than we were about 6 18 months ago ??

Fixed  ;)

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
  • okay javier but i'm only on loan... for sure no?
« Reply #2770 on: May 14, 2009, 03:37:09 pm »
this is turning out to be the the saddest production of waiting for godot. ever. :(
Finish the job sir. Come back when we deserve you.

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #2771 on: May 14, 2009, 03:49:02 pm »
Fixed  ;)

:thumbup

Im  resigned to the knowledge that nothing will happen , the refinance will go through and they will be our owners for many years to come .
I will of course keep up my own little boycott of all merch , tickets etc etc and if anything does change on the ownership front then , well , thats a bonus .
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 03:50:57 pm by shelovesyouyehyehyeh »
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2772 on: May 14, 2009, 03:51:04 pm »
At least i enjoyed GROUNDHOG DAY , this is depressing and a slow torture as well.

Offline guyko21

• Kopite
« Reply #2773 on: May 14, 2009, 04:02:16 pm »
Interesting ... ARE WE THERE YET ;)
No ... that's not what I said.  The situation is that there are buyers out there for us, but they're aware of H&G's predicament and they're in no mood to overpay.  That's just common sense. 

What good would it do to harass RBS?  More good than harm, that's for sure.  We want to help force a situation where the banks don't want to extend and investors don't want to co-invest.  The only alternative is for them to sell up. 

Medium term?  We're in the shitter if we continue to be "owned" by H&G.  Pure and simple.  Their track record is sports management is abysmal and the longer this goes on the longer we'll be behind manu. 

The key is obviously to whom they sell us. 

Offline lfctitch

• Legacy Fan
  • Titch
    • CS5 Design
« Reply #2774 on: May 14, 2009, 04:05:59 pm »
Just get on with your lives, as I said further up, the inevitable situation is within a maximum 5 years they wont be our owners. And I might add - Years could turn into months, and months could turn into weeks, and weeks could turn into days ;) (By that take the Manchester City buy out) They cannot possibly sustain

- Getting into the champions league every season
- Pumping no capital in
- Barely paying interest payments
- etc.

What we know.

- RBS believe this not to be a good investment considering how risky it is
- Before G&H got finance for the club, no bank wanted to take them on (bar RBS and Wachova)
- Interested parties have been apparent (Chelsea game this year with the Kuwati's, The Stavely, Dubai crew have all been around once or twice. Potential interested parties from India and America.
- Not the best time to buy, when countries are feeling the stretch, but how long will buyers put of buying, knowing the prices they can get businesses?
- They themselves want to sell if the price is right

Patience is a virtue. You will all get what you want...

---

I think the other thing to remember is that everybody is speculating on RBS giving refinance and that there are no buyers now, but that is all it is, speculation. Nobody has said the club hasn't been sold, and I believe only 2 people know the future of LFC and that's the owners themselves.

Everybody has begun shi**ing themselves, and yet there is no real information out as yet.

1. Wait for the accounts
2. Wait for news of refinance, (If it had been done, or even close to, we would know about it from G&H I can assure you. _
3. Play the waiting game, who knows what the summer might bring, if it doesn't, then we will wait, we will enjoy the football 09/10 season, where we will challenge for the title again.

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #2775 on: May 14, 2009, 04:10:40 pm »
:thumbup

Im  resigned to the knowledge that nothing will happen , the refinance will go through and they will be our owners for many years to come .
I will of course keep up my own little boycott of all merch , tickets etc etc and if anything does change on the ownership front then , well , thats a bonus .
It's definatley easier to accept the situation than to oppose it.  Especially after the length of time this has ran on. 

Sometimes i feel like just switching off to the off pitch stuff but I really hate those greedy americans so much i dont think it can be classed as hate anymore.

(only those two americans, the rest of the americans are sound apart from bush)

Offline lfctitch

• Legacy Fan
  • Titch
    • CS5 Design
« Reply #2776 on: May 14, 2009, 04:13:34 pm »
It's definatley easier to accept the situation than to oppose it.  Especially after the length of time this has ran on. 

Sometimes i feel like just switching off to the off pitch stuff but I really hate those greedy americans so much i dont think it can be classed as hate anymore.

(only those two americans, the rest of the americans are sound apart from bush)

Its an addiction. We all hang on any snippet of information we here, we ourselves are the ones that care about the future of the club, there are those that try to get any snippet of information on transfers, because thats the side they prefer. We prefer knowing our club is safe.

An addiction of the unknown - Draw comparisons from life itself.

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #2777 on: May 14, 2009, 04:15:43 pm »
Its an addiction. We all hang on any snippet of information we here, we ourselves are the ones that care about the future of the club, there are those that try to get any snippet of information on transfers, because thats the side they prefer. We prefer knowing our club is safe.

An addiction of the unknown - Draw comparisons from life itself.

Suppose we are like cats,

Curiosity killed the cat.

Offline lfctitch

• Legacy Fan
  • Titch
    • CS5 Design
« Reply #2778 on: May 14, 2009, 04:26:46 pm »

Gillett and Hicks = The big fat cats at the top ;)

Offline Seantheprawn

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2779 on: May 14, 2009, 04:34:24 pm »

...........I thought for a moment you were going to conclude that like cats we were all lying down with one leg in the air licking our arseholes!?!? Don't ask me why - I'm having strage thoughts recently. I think maybe I have to go to the doctors.  :-\
WHEN BUSH WAS TALKING ABOUT  "THE EVIL DO-ERS OF THIS WORLD" HE WAS TALKING ABOUT OUR PREVIOUS SHITE-ARSED CUSTODIANS!!
THE SO-CALLED "AXIS OF EVIL" IS FOUND ACROSS THE FURROWED BROW ON HICKS' FAT HEAD.

Twitter: @seanmck75

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #2780 on: May 14, 2009, 04:37:23 pm »
Gillett and Hicks = The big fat cats at the top ;)

Gillette

Hicks

Parry:

;)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 04:40:54 pm by fry »

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #2782 on: May 14, 2009, 04:45:34 pm »
add a con to the pros and cons list when deciding refinance. 

pro et contra

lets face it what will a protest achieve

lets look at the likely events

RBS refinance, but the Americans have to yield to the terms RBS desire.

RBS know risk is minimal so profit is almost guarenteed, and I imagine the profit on such an extension, not even including extension arrangement fees etc is huge.

Liverpool fans protest and those that have an account, some close it, losing them say £500,000 maximum..... maybe £1M.... lets compare that to the profit....

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2783 on: May 14, 2009, 04:57:10 pm »
Nice blog. :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom Hicks Will Drink Your Water. Drink It Up!

By Robert Wilonsky
Thursday, May. 14 2009 @ 9:15AM

As mentioned Monday, KERA-FM (90.1) is running throughout this week a series of stories about where Dallas gets its water and how we use it. Which brings us to today's contribution from B.J. Austin concerning water consumption. Says the story, the average Dallas homeowner is billed for 100,000 gallons used per year. Unless you're Tom Hicks. Reports Austin, Hicks is far and away Dallas's bigger user of water: The owner of the Dallas Stars and Texas Rangers guzzled 10 million gallons at his 20-acre spread off Walnut Hill Lane and the Dallas North Tollway in 2008.

Says Dallas Water Utilities director Jody Puckett of Hicks's water use, well, the city just assumes he's being smart about it: "He seems to be a pretty good businessman, so I figured he'd make those choices on his own." Says Hicks in a statement, yeah, that is a lot of H2O, but "as a family, we are always concerned about conservation, and we constantly examine ways to preserve water, our state's most precious resource."

Bonus: Speaking of Hicks, his Hicks Acquisition Co. noted this week in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission that if it doesn't hold a stockholders meeting by August 11, the New York Stock Exchange will delist the company. Why? "Because the Company did not hold an annual stockholders meeting during the year ended December 31, 2008." The company also needs to close a deal, right pronto.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2009/05/tom_hicks_will_drink_your_wate.php
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2784 on: May 14, 2009, 05:01:13 pm »
I come back to why he has put off this stockholders' meeting? What does he fear about it?

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #2785 on: May 14, 2009, 06:02:47 pm »
I come back to why he has put off this stockholders' meeting? What does he fear about it?

He obviously cant face the music , such a coward .

Offline ali

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2786 on: May 14, 2009, 07:43:52 pm »
John Hourican
Chief Executive Officer, RBS Global Banking & Markets

Prior to his appointment as Chief Executive, GBM, John was Chief Financial Officer of ABN AMRO and on appointment to the ABN AMRO Managing Board in November 2007, he was the Board Member responsible for Group Finance

ABN AMRO Asset Management Ltd. (Fortis)    2,827,234    

shares in Hicks spac

http://moneycentral.msn.com/ownership?Symbol=TOH
for those of you watching in black and white Liverpool are the team with the ball

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #2787 on: May 14, 2009, 08:22:47 pm »
Just get on with your lives, as I said further up, the inevitable situation is within a maximum 5 years they wont be our owners.

If they're still in charge of us in 5 years time, Stavely's mum will be able to afford us.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #2788 on: May 14, 2009, 08:54:24 pm »
I'd agree with that.  We want to make it extremely uncomfortable for H&G to continue "owning" this club.  At the same time, I can say for certain that there are buyers circling us right now and hopefully I'll have an update of sorts next week.  Just so we keep expectations steady, I'm expecting to get news of who is (still) sniffing around, what stage they're at and a bit more about timings if a bid were to be accepted.

To be honest mate, I won't be holding my breath. You're source has told us nothing that we don't already know. Not blaming you like but he's probably pulling your pisser.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #2789 on: May 14, 2009, 09:23:08 pm »
Gillette

Hicks

Parry:

;)
Bloody brilliant!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2790 on: May 14, 2009, 11:39:29 pm »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/soccer/05/14/liverpool.naming.ap/index.html

Carlsberg keen on Liverpool stadium naming rights
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

MANCHESTER, England (AP) -- Liverpool's shirt sponsor Carlsberg is keen on buying the naming rights for the English club's new stadium as the brewer renegotiates its current deal, The Associated Press has learned.

The Danish beer's ties with the Reds stretch back to 1991, making it the Premier League's longest commercial partnership. The current contract, worth seven million pounds ($10.6 million) annually, expires at the end of the 2009-10 season.

In announcing Carlsberg's intentions to the AP on Thursday, head of sponsorship Gareth Roberts indicated his company would be monitoring the club's bid to refinance a loan of around 250 million pounds ($375 million) or potential sale and, more crucially, progress on replacing the crumbling Anfield stadium.

The 60,000-seat venue on the adjacent Stanley Park was due to have been ready by 2011, but the global economic downturn forced co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr. to halt building work last year.

Carlsberg, though, is still keen on the new stadium bearing its name.

"That will be part of the discussion I'm sure but there's been no decisions yet," Roberts said.

Roberts found the off-field tensions between Hicks and Gillett distracting, but last month's show of unity, with the Americans sitting together during the 4-4 draw with Arsenal, was an encouraging sign as negotiations between the parties intensify.

"(The financial situation) would have to come into it -- we need to understand where they are going with the stadium, what is the next step?" Roberts told the AP of Carlsberg's strategy. "(The ownership situation) is a distraction, the best thing is they seem to have resolved the internal issues and they are going to take the next step. If it's done in the right way and they take the next step then absolutely.

"The ownership issue is also about the stadium and the financial setup. The stadium is a big step of their progression in the future and we want to be part of that."

Asked by the AP about a possible new deal with Carlsberg, Hicks restricted his comment on Thursday to: "They have been a great partner for many years."

Naming rights have been on the owners' agenda since they bought the club in 2007, with Gillett saying the windfall could subsidize buying one top player every year.

Separately on Thursday, manager Rafa Benitez complained about the cost of strengthening his squad.

"The price of the players is unbelievable now," Benitez told CNN. "It's very difficult for me to pay 80 million (pounds), 100 million or 50 million, because if the player leaves, you lose all your money."

In 2004, Arsenal negotiated a 15-year naming rights deal for its new stadium with Dubai-based airline Emirates worth more than 100 million pounds. That included an eight-year shirt sponsorship agreement.

Roberts said Carlsberg has been encouraged by the fact Benitez's team is now a credible Premier League challenger, despite Manchester United being a point from defending its title.

"We've started the discussions with them. Since 1991 we've been there so it's a long term, very strong partnership and we are keen to continue it," Roberts said. "It does some good things for us in the UK and the performance levels are higher now so there's a bit more demand from people going to the games."

Roberts said Liverpool's strong fan base in Asia is an important factor driving Carlsberg's interest in extending the partnership.

The deal will be more complex than the 1991 terms, with the brewer potentially offering more services to the club as part of the financial package.

"There are certain things that are absolutely necessary for a beer company to go and sell its products in the likes of Asia and we will make sure that's in the contract," Roberts said. "There may be elements of the contract that we don't need.

"What you had 18 years ago is not necessarily what you need now. We are keen to keep the relationship going on the same level that it is now, but there may be creativeness in the way that structure is pulled together."
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline zimmy

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2791 on: May 15, 2009, 12:19:15 am »
and what? I still think there is no news of people sniffing round

were there to be we would have heard of something by now.

What interest would any potential owner have in keeping things quiet and not leaking anything at all?

I wish to f**k you would keep quiet

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #2792 on: May 15, 2009, 12:21:12 am »
The new Anfield piss water stadium.

Doesn't sound good.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline grimreaper

• this is a new one... ok it's shite but it is a no-brainer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2793 on: May 15, 2009, 12:31:34 am »

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #2794 on: May 15, 2009, 12:50:57 am »
The new Anfield piss water stadium.

Doesn't sound good.

The Probably Anfield Stadium  ;D

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2795 on: May 15, 2009, 08:07:57 am »
Everytime they say they will be getting the 6 months extension its coming from their mouths, its them that are leaking that info, maybe it is a possibility and then what? In January all this shit all over again. Imagine we are top of the league in January and all this bollox is in the media every day again. Our team will lose its focus and we will be in the press for the wrong reasons again.

Nah its about time these two twats realised that they cannot afford to keep us, we will need even more money to be competing with the mancs, and quite frankly they havent got the ways and means for that to happen.

Take the offer on the table you pair of fuckwits and piss off and leave us alone once and for all.

FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2796 on: May 15, 2009, 08:18:11 am »
Take the offer on the table you pair of fuckwits and piss off and leave us alone once and for all.

Is there a offer ?

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2797 on: May 15, 2009, 08:24:26 am »
Is there a offer ?

I believe so............

But they are greedy fuckers and want more.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2798 on: May 15, 2009, 08:33:20 am »
I believe so............

But they are greedy fuckers and want more.
Have i missed something ?   unless offer makes them a profit they will say no .. unless they have no choice ?

Offline southern scouse

• Kopite
« Reply #2799 on: May 15, 2009, 08:52:50 am »
The Probably Anfield Stadium  ;D

The two most f*cked up owners stadium....................Probably