Author Topic: Albert Riera  (Read 337124 times)

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• custom title thread lurker - easily amused
  • Legacy Fan
  • through the wind and rain (and fog)
Albert Riera
« on: September 1, 2008, 07:00:22 pm »
Let's see how this one goes. His signing seems like a bit of an enigma; some are delighted, some are bewildered. But news is; he's a Liverpool player and I hope we all give him the backing he deserves every time he dons our famous shirt.

I hope he proves all his doubters wrong and proves what a good player he can be.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that he'll be our "new Barnes" instead of our "new Kewell".

Welcome to Liverpool, Albert.

YNWA

Offline Cloggs

• Legacy Fan
  • TAFKAAS
Re: Albert Riera
« Reply #1 on: September 1, 2008, 07:02:06 pm »
The shirt gets the backing. Those who wear it have to earn it.

Offline Oscar3

• Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: September 1, 2008, 07:03:04 pm »
Let's see how this one goes. His signing seems like a bit of an enigma; some are delighted, some are bewildered. But news is; he's a Liverpool player and I hope we all give him the backing he deserves every time he dons our famous shirt.

I hope he proves all his doubters wrong and proves what a good player he can be.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that he'll be our "new Barnes" instead of our "new Kewell".

Welcome to Liverpool, Albert.

YNWA
Somewhere in between i think!!
sons of men who stand like gods

Offline darby86

• Kemlynite
« Reply #3 on: September 1, 2008, 07:04:53 pm »
also give him time.

Offline Slinky

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4 on: September 1, 2008, 07:21:41 pm »
Is he any good?

Offline gollne

• clearance...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arts pics like ass in the morning
« Reply #5 on: September 1, 2008, 07:22:57 pm »
Is he any good?

Yes, if he can get settled he will be very good for us.
Rafa: Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Crowd: Spaniard, Spaniard, Spaniard...

Offline albiceleste

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #6 on: September 1, 2008, 07:27:54 pm »
Is he any good?

He was abysmal at Manchester City, often inspirational in Spain. I generally couldn't predict the outcome of this one to save my life. Technically excellent, consistently good for Spain and Espanyol over the past two years, but chronically lacking in pace and strength. Could go either way.

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 1, 2008, 07:28:31 pm »
Yes, if he can get settled he will be very good for us.

If he settles in well he can be the ideal signing for us.

10+ assists and 5+ goals would do me nicely!

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 1, 2008, 07:29:59 pm »
He was abysmal at Manchester City, often inspirational in Spain. I generally couldn't predict the outcome of this one to save my life. Technically excellent, consistently good for Spain and Espanyol over the past two years, but chronically lacking in pace and strength. Could go either way.

Lacking in Strength? What are you on mate, he's a strong lad!

"Riera has the qualities we were looking for," said Benitez. "He's a left footer who normally plays on the left wing, he's good in the air, strong, powerful and a good crosser of the ball..."

Offline Crackerjack Sam

• Legacy Fan
  • Egyptian Magician
« Reply #9 on: September 1, 2008, 07:30:14 pm »
:thumbup
PSN ID - hajme1   
Sticking to RAWK I am.  Real forum, real mods, real fans, fair and unbiased opinions etc..etc.. 8)

Offline Cob from TIA

• Scum.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I've noticed you around here, do you work out?"
« Reply #10 on: September 1, 2008, 07:30:28 pm »
but chronically lacking in pace and strength.

Considering the fact that he's 6'2 and hardly slight with it, this supposed 'chronic' lack of a strength is both baffling and worrying if it proves to be true.
A mate of mine on Evertonians:

"They're a bit like the Scottish really, bitter, foul-mouthed, angry and shit."

Offline albiceleste

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #11 on: September 1, 2008, 07:32:19 pm »
Considering the fact that he's 6'2 and hardly slight with it, this supposed 'chronic' lack of a strength is both baffling and worrying if it proves to be true.

Sorry, my fault, badly worded. He is slightly lacking in directness and dynamism, I should say. One of his skills, indeed, is his physical strength-difficult to knock off the ball, which does seem (in Spain at least) to go halfway to redressing his lack of any speed whatsoever. Hope the same is true here.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 1, 2008, 07:35:40 pm »
Difficult to tell which way the fucker is going to go though...
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline SupaDupaReds

• Anny Roader
  • Apna @ the game
« Reply #13 on: September 1, 2008, 07:36:34 pm »
a chronic lack of pace is enough to make a left winger useless. if he's slow, he'll be a flop.
---------------torres----------------
babel------------------------keane
---------------gerrard---------------
----------alonso----masch---------

Offline albiceleste

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #14 on: September 1, 2008, 07:37:47 pm »
a chronic lack of pace is enough to make a left winger useless. if he's slow, he'll be a flop.

Come on, don't say that! He IS fucking slow, that isn't up for debate. I'm just hoping his superior technicality will help him through that obvious barrier.

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 1, 2008, 07:40:01 pm »

A chronic lack of optimism is enough to make a fan useless.

Offline AllyouneedisRush

• One leg, musical nostrils, itchy crotch. Is actually Louis Walsh.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 1, 2008, 07:41:17 pm »
Do we have the return of an oldie song....

A-L-B-E-R-T, Albert Riera is the one for me.....
Justice 97 - YNWA

Offline rafaslad

• Kemlynite
« Reply #17 on: September 1, 2008, 07:43:20 pm »
id be happy if he can just cross a dead ball or take a corner!
cynical optimist

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #18 on: September 1, 2008, 07:44:49 pm »
----------------torres----------------
riera----------keane----------kuyt
---------------masch----------------

Babel - anywhere of riera----------keane----------kuyt
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline djsworddog

• Anny Roader
« Reply #19 on: September 1, 2008, 07:47:16 pm »
You never know, he might just be the player to kick start our season into top gear. Good luck to the lad.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #20 on: September 1, 2008, 07:47:34 pm »

There have been successful wingers who haven't been blessed with huge pace.

Figo, Beckham....spring to mind.

Granted they are right wingers, but I'm assuming your point applies to both wings.

Offline Jase

• Legacy Fan
  • A Liverbird upon my chest.
« Reply #21 on: September 1, 2008, 07:47:40 pm »
I'm optimistic that Reira is going to be a good signing for us- lets just give him a run of games on the left (if we're going for 4-4-2) and see what he can bring us. Meanwhile, lets back him!
......and could he play!

Offline albiceleste

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #22 on: September 1, 2008, 07:48:10 pm »
----------------torres----------------
riera----------keane----------kuyt
---------------masch----------------

Babel - anywhere of riera----------keane----------kuyt

Wash your mouth out and get Dirk Fucking Kuyt out of that team. Hopefull now we have Riera, Babel can replace him on the right, our weakest position on the pitch when Dirk plays.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #23 on: September 1, 2008, 07:53:29 pm »
Wash your mouth out and get Dirk Fucking Kuyt out of that team. Hopefull now we have Riera, Babel can replace him on the right, our weakest position on the pitch when Dirk plays.

I don't agree. I think Dirk is a useful player to have, especially away. He works hard defensively and wears teams down. He's also clever at poping up at the right time (like against Standard), and makes space for others.

Granted, you can see the difference in quality when Babel comes on, but Babel hasn't done it for a match yet. I hope and expect him to soon though.

Offline albiceleste

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #24 on: September 1, 2008, 07:55:30 pm »
I don't agree. I think Dirk is a useful player to have, especially away. He works hard defensively and wears teams down. He's also clever at poping up at the right time (like against Standard), and makes space for others.

Granted, you can see the difference in quality when Babel comes on, but Babel hasn't done it for a match yet. I hope and expect him to soon though.

I think that the only person Dirk wears down is himself,  charging around like a special kid at playtime and offering zero threat. Come to think of it, he is currently wearing me down with anxiety and grief whenever he wears a red shirt.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #25 on: September 1, 2008, 07:57:51 pm »
We're crying out for width. I hope or support is going to get get behind him.

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 1, 2008, 07:59:16 pm »
charging around like a special kid at playtime and offering zero threat.

Great similie, that ;D

Offline bigman1981

• For men
  • Legacy Fan
  • OOT wool - but just can't help loving LFC!
« Reply #27 on: September 1, 2008, 07:59:43 pm »

Did you actually watch him at Manchester City, or are you just copying what everyone else is saying.

...like a lot of other people on this site.
Red Forever!!!!!

Offline SupaDupaReds

• Anny Roader
  • Apna @ the game
« Reply #28 on: September 1, 2008, 08:00:14 pm »
Come on, don't say that! He IS fucking slow, that isn't up for debate. I'm just hoping his superior technicality will help him through that obvious barrier.

sorry! i must say though, hearing you actually describe him as slow makes me shit my pants.

A chronic lack of optimism is enough to make a fan useless.

not really, sometimes its good to be a realist too.

There have been successful wingers who haven't been blessed with huge pace.

Figo, Beckham....spring to mind.

Granted they are right wingers, but I'm assuming your point applies to both wings.

haha yes i was speaking about both sides, but the thing that worries me is that with our style of play that involves attacks that are few and far between, with clean sheets and "control" key to the way we play, i think we need explosive players along the front 4. if he can play a good final ball consistently, then fine,as albiceleste said, play him LW with babel on the right. but please, fucking please dont play him and kuyt in the same team! i may be forced to eat my own face if we try to counter attack on live tv.
---------------torres----------------
babel------------------------keane
----------alonso----masch---------

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 1, 2008, 08:00:14 pm »
From .tv

1. Riera is known as Spain's answer to Middlesbrough's Stewart Downing

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N161120080901-1747.htm

that best be a joke

Offline TimHocks

• Anny Roader
  • Wish I hadn't chosen TimHocks as my username.
« Reply #30 on: September 1, 2008, 08:03:12 pm »
"Riera has the qualities we were looking for," said Benitez. "He's a left footer who normally plays on the left wing."

Does that mean Rafa is going to play him on the right wing??? Or central defence???  :)

Offline albiceleste

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #31 on: September 1, 2008, 08:04:57 pm »
Did you actually watch him at Manchester City, or are you just copying what everyone else is saying.

...like a lot of other people on this site.

I didn't go to any Manchester City games, but I did see him on Sky and match of the day-the latter being a less than reliable source, admittedly. He wasn't very good, to put it mildly. He was frequently excellent or Espanyol-see some of his amtches against Barca and Madrid-and often for Spain. So I hope he continues in that vein. And I certainly would not copy most of the monkeys on this site, that's for sure. Most of my opinions jar with theirs.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #32 on: September 1, 2008, 08:06:13 pm »
I think he represents an interesting opportunity for Rafa to showcase his ability to coach a player on an individual basis. He can improve all the defenders we sign because that's as much about working as part of a unit as anything. He's turned players like Torres and Vicente in to stars but it's arguable that they had all the tools to begin with. It'll be interesting with Riera, because the guy has obvious talents, but equally obvious draw backs. He's quicker than most of our players, but he's not anywhere near lightning. In terms of wingers - your Robben's, Ronaldo's or even Wright-Phillips' - he's slow by comparison.  It'll be interesting to see if Rafa can do what alot of other top managers seem to be able to do and get the guy playing consistently to his strengths whilst setting up the team to cover up his weaknesses. Mourinho did it with Lampard, Wenger with Pires, Ferguson with countless players. I don't think Rafa's really done it with an attacker yet, at least not one that comes to mind immediately at Liverpool.

If he can do that then hopefully it'll be the end of our search for a decent wide player that's lasted nearly 10 years.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 1, 2008, 08:12:00 pm »

Welcome Riera, all the best to win over the morons.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: September 1, 2008, 08:14:24 pm »
I think he represents an interesting opportunity for Rafa to showcase his ability to coach a player on an individual basis. He can improve all the defenders we sign because that's as much about working as part of a unit as anything. He's turned players like Torres and Vicente in to stars but it's arguable that they had all the tools to begin with. It'll be interesting with Riera, because the guy has obvious talents, but equally obvious draw backs. He's quicker than most of our players, but he's not anywhere near lightning. In terms of wingers - your Robben's, Ronaldo's or even Wright-Phillips' - he's slow by comparison.  It'll be interesting to see if Rafa can do what alot of other top managers seem to be able to do and get the guy playing consistently to his strengths whilst setting up the team to cover up his weaknesses. Mourinho did it with Lampard, Wenger with Pires, Ferguson with countless players. I don't think Rafa's really done it with an attacker yet, at least not one that comes to mind immediately at Liverpool.

If he can do that then hopefully it'll be the end of our search for a decent wide player that's lasted nearly 10 years.

That's what I think. He's a good player, a very good one on his day. It's upto Rafa to get him more consistent, and take him to the next level.

Oh, and wouldn't you say, he did that with Rufete? Or even Mista?
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline 4everredrichie

• Anny Roader
  • Give yourselves the chance to be heroes!!!
« Reply #35 on: September 1, 2008, 08:16:24 pm »

Spot on.
Let's give the lad a chance.
"GAME WELL AND TRULY OVER..." ! ! !

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #36 on: September 1, 2008, 08:16:24 pm »
That's what I think. He's a good player, a very good one on his day. It's upto Rafa to get him more consistent, and take him to the next level.

Oh, and wouldn't you say, he did that with Rufete?

Perhaps others will disagree, but I genuinely don't remember Rufete being that good at all. I think he did a job tactically for Rafa, but beyond that not much.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: September 1, 2008, 08:17:22 pm »
Perhaps others will disagree, but I genuinely don't remember Rufete being that good at all. I think he did a job tactically for Rafa, but beyond that not much.

I agree. Rufete was never a star, like Lampard (yucks!) or Pires were.

What about Mista?
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 1, 2008, 08:18:26 pm »
I'll admit, I'm a little worried he might turn Riera into another Kuyt, turning a pretty good player, into an average utility player. Same concerns with Keane.

Offline Comrade

• Kopite
« Reply #39 on: September 1, 2008, 08:21:49 pm »
He was abysmal at Manchester City
Abysmal? No, he wasn't. You're spouting bollocks, mister. In fact, I bet you didn't even see him play for them.