Poll

What do we think of the revelations

Oooooerr! Missus Phoop! Parp!! Whoop!
Gnurglian
Whistle my tassles
Guilt M'lord, fetch the lancets
What a kerfuffle

Author Topic: Prince Harry and Meghan to step back as senior royals  (Read 99232 times)

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
Re: Harry and Megan Appreciation Thread!
« Reply #1120 on: March 13, 2021, 06:16:56 pm »
This is bollocks.

Edit: To qualify, I think you are giving them too much of a get out clause for what is inherent and clearly different framing of two similar incidents based on race whether conscious or unconscious. The Raheem Sterling coverage wasn't just the bathroom but countless articles where the same issue would be represented differently with a white footballer. I'm no real fan of Raheem Sterling from a footballing point of view, but he was/is treated differently to some of his white peers in the framing of issues in the press. Plus a lot of these articles come from the same newspapers, so you'd hope they have editors or sub editors, or at least someone who looks across their output to see if things are framed consistently. To just say it's different people writing the articles isn't an acceptable excuse, especially when reporters are often told to look for negative articles that they can put together about certain individuals.

The same is true of the articles around Meghan and Kate. There has been a clear difference in the framing of the two of them. There is more than enough evidence out there that you could probably put an entire dissertation together about it. It persists still today.

I'm not particularly bothered about the royal family and don't think it should exist in 2021 so I don't really have a dog in the fight. The evidence is out there and it would be better for everyone if we admitted the problem exists rather than putting forward these half arsed excuses to pretend that they don't.

It may be bollocks, and you are entitled to your own opinion, as I am mine.
However, we are fortunate that we live in a country where we do not lock people up and throw away the keys based on a "feeling".
Where there are clear examples of racist articles that relate to either Meghan Markle or Raheem Sterling, then these should be called out and the people responsible for writing them suitably punished.
An article does not become "racist" just because it is nasty and makes you feel uneasy. Unfair means unfair. Unfair does not mean racist.
It is worth pointing out that these articles are often quoted in conjunction with some undeniably awful racist social media posts. This is the unfortunate side of social media, as we are all too aware. In a world of millions of people, it only takes one or two bigots to post outrageous comments, to sour things for everyone. But that does not make the news/article they are commenting on, inherently racist in itself.
I'm not one to defend papers such as the Daily Mail. They are after all, notoriously misogynistic. Perhaps that is the route of their bigotry? Don't forget that 10 years ago, Camilla spent a decade has the most hated and vilified person in Britain. Before her, Sarah Ferguson ("Princess Porky" etc) was. Both women ridiculed and maligned because they paled in comparison to Diana.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1121 on: March 13, 2021, 06:31:07 pm »
I'd not seen the Pierced Organ tantrum until watching Gogglebox last night. Alex Beresford owned that nasty Tory c*nt, it was brilliant ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1122 on: March 13, 2021, 06:52:32 pm »
This isn't true though.

Was it racist? Yes it damn sure fucking was. When have you ever seen so much hate and contempt for any other football player in this country? Now answer the same question again within the parameters of whether that player did anything wrong to fuel this contempt. Those excuses for the disparity between these portrayals are ridiculous. Its a running theme within the media and everyone who looks can see it, it's not even just a celebrity thing ffs. It's infuriating seeing so many excuses wheeled out for shit that is thinly veiled racism. Fair but exaggerated... why is this approach taken when it comes to the same people but not the others that are raised as the comparison... that is the racism ffs. The article Raheem spoke about wasn't even about him, it was a young City player who bought a house and Foden bought a house, both for their mums and the way the articles were framed were drastically different. Look at Maguire fighting in another country WITH POLICE and how it's portrayed when it comes to the media. 1000 different excuses were made for him and his mental health and wellbeing was the priority, where is this line of thinking when it's a player with a different skin colour? It conveniently always goes missing and the vile, hate fueled 'how dare they?' approach is taken.

I've lost count of the amount of times i've seen articles written about attacks or violence in which perpetrator 1 is 'a loner who MUST have mental health issues' and 2 is 'a terrorist/gang member, inciting hate and fear and has a criminal history or posed in a tracksuit in a picture'. If this exaggeration is a reason for it, why it is disproportionately used when the subject of the article is black? People should stop pretending this blatant shit isn't done with intent.

The disparity in the way two different groups are reported on is blatant, water it down all you want but it fuels racism and unfair narratives based on the complete wrong things. The thing is children can see these articles and nowadays with the internet its all accessible, growing up seeing people who look like you met with contempt for simply living is extremely damaging. Its funny how you claim this good vs bad stuff you fail to mention bad is near enough always pinned on the same people and good on others

Something doesn't have to simply be a blatant racial slur to be racist, i've had implied racist comments made to me for years, each one could be met with 'maybe this or that'... NO, it's fucking racist, dont try to dilute it or dress it up.

If you are so "damn sure" a particular newspaper article was racist, then you will have no trouble in taking the author to court. And I will back you!
Looking for another footballer who was vilified? There are plenty of examples, most notably David Beckham after his sending off for England. He was on the receiving end of far worse press coverage and personal attacks for four years, until the following World Cup. Paul Gascoigne was similarly maligned following his well-publicised battle with alcoholism.
One of the articles cited as being "racist" toward Meghan Markle was the Daily Mail's "(almost) straight out of Compton". This used the common trope of a cultural reference from NWA, comparing her neighbourhood of Crenshaw to Compton and highlighting the high crime rate of the former. In some people's minds, highlighting the high crime rate in a negative article was evidence of racism. You can argue that one until the cows come home.
You mention implied racism. What slipped under the radar in the above article, was the throwaway remark that Meghan Markle's mother was often mistaken for her nanny, because of Meghan's pale skin. Given that nearly 80% of the population in Crenshaw is not white, it would follow that most of the people making that mistake would be people of colour, displaying a rather inconvenient "unconscious bias".

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1123 on: March 13, 2021, 06:53:12 pm »

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1124 on: March 13, 2021, 07:11:49 pm »
Seems like we're getting wildly off topic but Sterling was landed in court on more than one occasion on allegations of assaulting women. It's not like when Beckham was being literally burned in effigy for being sent off in a world cup match, or when Rooney was constantly being put on the tabloid front pages for going out because reporters were tracking him 24/7 looking for dirt.

For what it's worth, I've always suspected the negative coverage of Markle has more to do with her being American, the echoes of Wallace Simpson that surround that, and her liability father. It's the flipside of Kate, who's ideal because she's safe, quiet and does nothing but go to public functions and get pregnant. If the mid-market tabloids had been primarily focused on her colour there would have been more gross focus on her 'exoticism'. Then again, those newsrooms have been infected by racism for years at the highest levels, so it would be naive to believe that never came into play.

I don’t think it’s being American or black, as most of our tabloid press have a pretty big hard on for the USA, it’s more that she’s a liberal American and at least in my mind that’s probably part of the reason the press have had it in for her. A lot of the causes she has identified with and supported are not aligned with the right wing press and she’s been vocal about them so they have gone after her, while Kate very much has the country Tory set wiff about her and doesn’t stray far from that script gets left alone. Even when Charles has started bringing up things like the environment and global warming, subjects that are generally identified with the left, he’s taken a kicking from the press over it.

That is more my take on it as well, without ever denying that some people may indeed be slightly motivated by race. That can never be discounted nor accepted.
However, I was disappointed to see John Barnes on Peston blindly going down the racism route and believing everything from the Oprah interview and citing unconscious racial bias. At the same time, he hilariously shot himself in the foot by stating his own biased view towards female referees. However he excused his opinion that female referees were not as good by saying he was “educating himself” regarding his own unconscious bias!
It would seem that unconscious misogynists need to educate themselves, whilst unconscious racists need to be publicly executed.
Bigotry is bigotry, whether it be racist or misogynistic, anti-LGBT or anti-disabled. It also applies to the often blatant anti-Liverpool crap that Scousers have to put up with, as mentioned by Qston.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 07:13:40 pm by HomesickRed »

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1125 on: March 13, 2021, 10:38:22 pm »
Full on PR push tonight by the Royals in their freindly press.

Kate at the vigil for Sarah (without mask) for a photo op and leaks against Harry and Meghan.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #1126 on: March 14, 2021, 04:20:47 pm »
Well in fairness to Kate, she does know what it's like to walk around the streets at night, as the attached headline states.

Remember reading a Beeb article" The Duchess of Cambridge has said the challenges of parenting and home schooling during lockdown have left her "exhausted"." ...detailing their struggles with giving the kids a haricut during lockdown, bless.

One of us, these people.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1127 on: March 14, 2021, 05:33:42 pm »
Well in fairness to Kate, she does know what it's like to walk around the streets at night, as the attached headline states.

Remember reading a Beeb article" The Duchess of Cambridge has said the challenges of parenting and home schooling during lockdown have left her "exhausted"." ...detailing their struggles with giving the kids a haricut during lockdown, bless.

One of us, these people.

To be fair to her she did have a life before she got married, she worked in Southampton, was at Uni in Fife, worked in a restaurant and lived in Chelsea with her sister. Hooray Henrys are just as likely (maybe more?) to treat women as objects and abuse them.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1128 on: March 15, 2021, 12:00:13 am »
Full on PR push tonight by the Royals in their freindly press.

Kate at the vigil for Sarah (without mask) for a photo op and leaks against Harry and Meghan.

And Oprah wasn't friendly??
And pushing a racist agenda?

Offline diggerling!

• believes we’re doomed to be back with the also-rans
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1129 on: March 15, 2021, 09:37:53 am »
And Oprah wasn't friendly??
And pushing a racist agenda?
What are you blathering about now?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1130 on: March 15, 2021, 09:40:40 am »

No idea about the racist stuff, but he's making the point on the press that the royal family are using media outlets who are friendly to them, which is the same thing that Harry and Meghan did with Oprah.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline diggerling!

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1131 on: March 15, 2021, 09:46:26 am »
No idea about the racist stuff, but he's making the point on the press that the royal family are using media outlets who are friendly to them, which is the same thing that Harry and Meghan did with Oprah.
I get that bit. That's why I bolded the other bit about Oprah's racist agenda.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1132 on: March 15, 2021, 08:19:35 pm »
Care to elaborate?  :butt

Takes a very special person to argue that Daily Mail and Express articles dont carry a whiff of racism or 'unconscious bias'. Whatever next, Brexit was about sovereignty and not xenophobia
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 08:24:15 pm by Machae »

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1133 on: March 16, 2021, 12:16:41 am »

Firstly, by allowing unchallenged accusations of racism to stand with no comment other than "wow!" Oprah new she was allowing a media frenzy to follow.
Secondly, by allowing altered versions of headlines from UK newspapers and portraying negative US headlines as British, she was clearly guilty of an ulterior motive.
For instance, the Daily Mail article "'Meghan's seed will taint our Royal family': UKIP chief's glamour model lover, 25, is suspended from the party over racist texts about Prince Harry's wife-to-be" -- a quote described by that newspaper as "vile" was presented as though it was an outright racist comment in the paper with the only part showing being "Meghan's seed will taint our Royal family"

Call me cynical, but that did not happen by accident. It was a deliberate attempt by the programme to mislead viewers of racist intent. For someone as high profile and sensitive to raise issues as Oprah Winfrey, that was scandalous. And very dangerous.
That is why I said they were pushing a racist agenda. The facts speak for themselves on that point.

It may also be worth reading Trevor Phillips in the Times on this and, although I am no fan of the paper, the Daily Mail's own riposte to Megan and Harry's various accusations.

Offline diggerling!

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1134 on: March 16, 2021, 09:06:59 am »
Firstly, by allowing unchallenged accusations of racism to stand with no comment other than "wow!" Oprah new she was allowing a media frenzy to follow.
Secondly, by allowing altered versions of headlines from UK newspapers and portraying negative US headlines as British, she was clearly guilty of an ulterior motive.
For instance, the Daily Mail article "'Meghan's seed will taint our Royal family': UKIP chief's glamour model lover, 25, is suspended from the party over racist texts about Prince Harry's wife-to-be" -- a quote described by that newspaper as "vile" was presented as though it was an outright racist comment in the paper with the only part showing being "Meghan's seed will taint our Royal family"

Call me cynical, but that did not happen by accident. It was a deliberate attempt by the programme to mislead viewers of racist intent. For someone as high profile and sensitive to raise issues as Oprah Winfrey, that was scandalous. And very dangerous.
That is why I said they were pushing a racist agenda. The facts speak for themselves on that point.

It may also be worth reading Trevor Phillips in the Times on this and, although I am no fan of the paper, the Daily Mail's own riposte to Megan and Harry's various accusations.
So it's an anti-racist agenda you take issue with. Against that noble defender of civil rights, the Daily Mail. I see.

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1135 on: March 16, 2021, 03:45:10 pm »
So it's an anti-racist agenda you take issue with. Against that noble defender of civil rights, the Daily Mail. I see.

So it's wrong to hold Oprah to account over a deliberate attempt to paint newspaper headlines as racist?
Even Oprah makes 'mistakes'.
You can't call out 'unconscious bias' on the one hand yet ignore that on the other. See both sides!

Offline diggerling!

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1136 on: March 16, 2021, 05:13:48 pm »
So it's wrong to hold Oprah to account over a deliberate attempt to paint newspaper headlines as racist?
You can't call out 'unconscious bias' on the one hand yet ignore that on the other. See both sides!
I don’t buy the Daily Mail’s claim that the various headlines were designed to expose and condemn racism; I think they were designed as dog-whistles to their right wing readers and to inflame racial tension using the well-worn trope about the ‘pure’ white race being degraded by ‘the black seed’. They can plausibly deny it, of course, because their racism is not explicit (even if the knuckle-dragger’s wife was), but I think unconscious biases are knowingly perpetuated in this way by the Mail and their ilk.

They knew splashing that headline across the front page would get their readership going, and that there would be useful idiots on hand to defend them against accusations of shit stirring. And here you are.

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1137 on: March 16, 2021, 07:34:30 pm »

Yes, if they are racist.

Of course, we all do. I imagine you are something of an authority on this subject.

Ah, 'both sides'. I am sure there are 'very fine people on both sides'.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 07:46:18 pm by Wilmo »
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1138 on: March 17, 2021, 09:42:59 am »
The Daily Mail, a defender of civil rights and advocate of tolerance?
No way. There is a very specific reason it is so revered by gammons.
I'm no fan of Oprah but she isn't wrong if she called that hateful rag out for what it is.

Close the thread mods, its gone down the rabbit hole.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #1139 on: March 23, 2021, 01:03:15 am »
I don’t buy the Daily Mail’s claim that the various headlines were designed to expose and condemn racism; I think they were designed as dog-whistles to their right wing readers and to inflame racial tension using the well-worn trope about the ‘pure’ white race being degraded by ‘the black seed’. They can plausibly deny it, of course, because their racism is not explicit (even if the knuckle-dragger’s wife was), but I think unconscious biases are knowingly perpetuated in this way by the Mail and their ilk.

They knew splashing that headline across the front page would get their readership going, and that there would be useful idiots on hand to defend them against accusations of shit stirring. And here you are.
This. Well said. A lot of what they do is just for a reaction; the edgier it is the better for them.

The Daily Mail, a defender of civil rights and advocate of tolerance?
No way. There is a very specific reason it is so revered by gammons.
I'm no fan of Oprah but she isn't wrong if she called that hateful rag out for what it is.

Close the thread mods, its gone down the rabbit hole.
It's been a very enlightening and entertaining read, but you're right. Probably time to quell the fire a bit.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 01:05:27 am by Morgana »

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #1140 on: March 23, 2021, 01:22:38 am »
I'm with you on this.

I can't believe how many people are getting sucked into what the British tabloids say/have said about them.

Everyone knows the British press have no morals, are corrupt and lie - to the point where several high-profile people have taken their lives or entered depression or have massive PTSD.

Yet, 'scandal' after 'scandal', people remain gullible and like Meghan said, base their opinions on their presumptions rather than reality.

The press have vilified them and printed lies and the family have obviously not offered their support with a 'it is how it is' mindset, why shouldn't they come out now and present their side of the story now they're on the other side of things? The focus on Meghan vs Harry is remarkable. There's such an 'oh poor naive Harry' narrative when it's clear he made the decision to get his family out of that environment, not Meghan.

When you're siding with Daily Mail commentators, the 'anti-woke' and 'anti-BLM' groups, question whether your opinion is based on reality or what the press has been telling you. The dynamic described by them that the Royal Family and the press rely on each other should tell you everything.
I agree with almost everything you said, but not the last paragraph. There are millions if not billions of Black people against #BLM and many certain aspects of "woke" culture too... Probably because these movements have been so heavily endorsed by the same media companies that engender unconscious bias and covert racism. For example, many of us don't want to kneel because we feel it is a form of protest that belongs to Martin Luther King's generation, and we'd like to move on from that in the 21st century. And we resent being forced/bullied/shamed for not being happy to kneel "to show solidarity" (with what/whom? Who is really behind this, we ask. And why is the media all of a sudden so passionately endorsing this form of Black protest?). And as someone who's worked in academia for a long time I can tell you that some of the so-called "woke" brigade are the most mean-spirited right wing zealots you will ever come across. Their arguments about racial/gender/social inequality often lack nuance because they themselves have little experience with any kind of marginalisation. Many of them are just very, very privileged folk who are desperate to appear the right way and say the right things about inclusion. Deep down, they don't really give a shit about the next person. Just sheep bleating out whatever new slogans they think will keep them on the right side of history and disguise their deep-seated bigotries.

Anyway, back to Meghan and Harry. This was meant to be an "appreciation" thread as the title says. So I just want to say, whether people choose to believe them or not doesn't matter. How brave they must be and how much must he care for her to defy the establishment and run away with her. I wish them all the very best life has to offer. 

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1141 on: April 9, 2021, 12:06:07 pm »
Phil the Greek has died, stranded at 99 like Mike Atherton at Lords.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1142 on: April 9, 2021, 03:30:20 pm »
^ ha ha

Could be murder at the funeral

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1143 on: April 9, 2021, 03:41:02 pm »
^ ha ha

Could be murder at the funeral

Could be why there is a funeral in the first place?

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1144 on: April 12, 2021, 12:52:35 pm »
Meghan staying home for the funeral. I hope they check for gas leaks before Harry leaves....
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1145 on: April 12, 2021, 02:47:56 pm »
Meghan staying home for the funeral. I hope they check for gas leaks before Harry leaves....

What was she thinking, trying to fix that TV Ariel on the roof on a stormy night?

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1146 on: May 9, 2021, 11:20:29 am »
Telegraph blaming now Meghan for putting a generation of children off reading. Beyond parody.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1147 on: June 5, 2022, 09:01:28 pm »
How shit is our national anthem?

Very.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1148 on: June 5, 2022, 09:24:13 pm »

Very.

It's absolute wank!

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1149 on: June 6, 2022, 12:42:44 am »

Very.

I love the fact people wholeheartedly sing that they want someone to reign over them. How perfectly subservient.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #1150 on: June 6, 2022, 09:29:35 am »

Very.

I don't believe in gods nor with the concept of a monarchy. There's nothing for me in that droning dirge.

;D
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #1151 on: June 6, 2022, 09:51:15 am »

I don't believe in gods nor with the concept of a monarchy. There's nothing for me in that droning dirge.

;D

An absolutely embarrassing turgid dirge. It reminds us all to stay in our lane and proclaim the glory of our betters. Yet, some clowns lap it up as if they were singing about themselves.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #1152 on: June 6, 2022, 02:08:14 pm »
Now the Welsh one...that's an anthem 🙌

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #1153 on: June 6, 2022, 02:55:46 pm »
Now the Welsh one...that's an anthem 🙌

As a Scot I think that the English should adopt "Jerusalem" by the genius William Blake. I`m not a religious person, but when i`ve heard it on the proms it really is rousing. It`s also not a co-opted British anthem, which i have always found bizarre since watching Scotland-England matches as a kid.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #1154 on: June 6, 2022, 04:19:32 pm »
As a Scot I think that the English should adopt "Jerusalem" by the genius William Blake. I`m not a religious person, but when i`ve heard it on the proms it really is rousing. It`s also not a co-opted British anthem, which i have always found bizarre since watching Scotland-England matches as a kid.

That’s a fair shout. What about Land of Hope and Glory ! Does that have any hidden inappropriate connotations ?

Online Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1155 on: June 6, 2022, 04:37:06 pm »
That’s a fair shout. What about Land of Hope and Glory ! Does that have any hidden inappropriate connotations ?
No it does not. But only because they are not hidden. Jerusalem is even worse, jingoistic twaddle.
« Last Edit: June 6, 2022, 04:39:25 pm by Anfield Kopite »

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #1156 on: June 6, 2022, 04:38:42 pm »

:lmao

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1157 on: June 6, 2022, 04:41:09 pm »
An absolutely embarrassing turgid dirge. It reminds us all to stay in our lane and proclaim the glory of our betters. Yet, some clowns lap it up as if they were singing about themselves.

It is and the queen should have some shame in expecting people to sing to that, lyrics are awful and harks back to a colonialism past

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1158 on: June 6, 2022, 04:43:17 pm »
Could do it with no lyrics and everyone has to wear Macho Man sunglasses.

Online NightDancer

• Anny Roader
  • Bleep Bloop Bleep Bloop
« Reply #1159 on: June 6, 2022, 05:52:15 pm »
Could do it with no lyrics and everyone has to wear Macho Man sunglasses.

Would everyone present all go "Ooooh Yeaaaah" at the same time?  If so I'm in.  ;D
What's your pleasure?