Author Topic: Pep Lijnders  (Read 150096 times)

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
Re: Pep Lijnders leaves Liverpool with immediate effect
« Reply #160 on: June 5, 2018, 05:09:49 pm »
BOOM
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #161 on: June 5, 2018, 05:10:36 pm »
Need a thread rename:  Pep Lijnders rejoins Liverpool with immediate effect :)
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #162 on: June 5, 2018, 05:13:56 pm »
Did absolutely woeful at NEC but suppose he's well-suited to this job if Klopp wants him back!

Did he?

Seems he had them in the top three for most of his time there, hitting the top spot 5 times during that period, and spending most of it in second place. It's only the last few weeks of the season that they dropped to third. Were they expected to be automatic division winners, and he fell short? Or is it that they absolutely had to be promoted?
Better looking than Samie.

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: June 5, 2018, 05:19:18 pm »
No lean?

Seriously though, glad he's back. Seems a good presence as well as a good coach.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #164 on: June 5, 2018, 05:23:24 pm »
very cool :) Glad Pep is back.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #165 on: June 5, 2018, 05:25:00 pm »
I wonder if his role will be different?
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #166 on: June 5, 2018, 05:26:01 pm »
Welcome Pep,again! :)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #167 on: June 5, 2018, 05:26:06 pm »
Always seemed highly respected by Klopp so glad he's back as part of his backroom staff.

Interesting to know if this relates to Buvac's future too.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #168 on: June 5, 2018, 05:28:05 pm »
Always seemed highly respected by Klopp so glad he's back as part of his backroom staff.

Interesting to know if this relates to Buvac's future too.

I am afraid it may. He left us to grow, and I’m not sure if he would come back to the same role.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #169 on: June 5, 2018, 05:29:24 pm »
What this tells me is that Jurgen rates him highly as there were tons of high quality coaches out there willing to fill this position. I think if he does a good job as no.2 we'll have our Jurgen succesor sorted out.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #170 on: June 5, 2018, 05:33:11 pm »
Did he?

Seems he had them in the top three for most of his time there, hitting the top spot 5 times during that period, and spending most of it in second place. It's only the last few weeks of the season that they dropped to third. Were they expected to be automatic division winners, and he fell short? Or is it that they absolutely had to be promoted?

There was an article posted a little while ago, seems like he was expected to win the division comfortably, and when things started to go badly the fans showed no patience. From the looks of it, he was basically asking second division Dutch players to perform to the levels he expected of Liverpool players, and obviously that doesn't happen overnight!

Great to see him back where he belongs, with a senior first team role, no less.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: June 5, 2018, 05:33:11 pm »
What this tells me is that Jurgen rates him highly as there were tons of high quality coaches out there willing to fill this position. I think if he does a good job as no.2 we'll have our Jurgen succesor sorted out.

His number 2 is still Buvac unless something changes.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: June 5, 2018, 05:34:32 pm »
I wonder if his role will be different?

Thought it was notable that the piece on the website didn't say what his specific role/title would be. I would guess he's going to be assistant manager, but we don't want to officially say that until an announcement is made on Buvac.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: June 5, 2018, 05:37:37 pm »
Thought it was notable that the piece on the website didn't say what his specific role/title would be. I would guess he's going to be assistant manager, but we don't want to officially say that until an announcement is made on Buvac.

Indeed. I guess they will wait before making everything public. Although I'd have thought Peter Krawietz would get a more senior role if / when that happens.

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #174 on: June 5, 2018, 05:38:22 pm »
Did he?

The football was nothing short of atrocious, many of the players had turned against him. And yeah, anything except promotion was unacceptable - losing out on the top spot to the Ajax reserves wasn't the issue. Yet managing to somehow not finish in front of a Fortuna Sittard team that had completely combusted, going through a rotten spell and a hilarious saga around their manager's supposed sacking was well below par. Then to go into the play-offs and get hammered 4-0 by a side inferior to them just showed the level of disarray in his squad.  I know a few people around their club and it's safe to say he was hounded out by the end of his spell. Whether this was just a tough baptism of fire on the way to a succesful management career or a one-off experiment, time will tell..
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: June 5, 2018, 05:40:35 pm »
There was an article posted a little while ago, seems like he was expected to win the division comfortably, and when things started to go badly the fans showed no patience. From the looks of it, he was basically asking second division Dutch players to perform to the levels he expected of Liverpool players, and obviously that doesn't happen overnight!

Great to see him back where he belongs, with a senior first team role, no less.

It's weird, though, because he had a 50% win record which is excellent. Their previous manager had them in first. Am I missing something or are NEC fans just incredibly demanding?

I can't agree with DutchRed that he did woeful at NEC. Looks like he was a victim of impatience more than anything else.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: June 5, 2018, 05:42:16 pm »
The football was nothing short of atrocious, many of the players had turned against him. And yeah, anything except promotion was unacceptable - losing out on the top spot to the Ajax reserves wasn't the issue. Yet managing to somehow not finish in front of a Fortuna Sittard team that had completely combusted, going through a rotten spell and a hilarious saga around their manager's supposed sacking was well below par. Then to go into the play-offs and get hammered 4-0 by a side inferior to them just showed the level of disarray in his squad.  I know a few people around their club and it's safe to say he was hounded out by the end of his spell. Whether this was just a tough baptism of fire on the way to a succesful management career or a one-off experiment, time will tell..

But why did the previous manager leave? They were in top spot at the time were they not? If there were behind-the-scenes problems, then surely they existed regardless of who was manager?

I'm genuinely interested, as it seems strange to call a 50% win rate "Woeful" unless it's a top club in a one-team league (ahem, Celtic) ;D

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #177 on: June 5, 2018, 05:44:04 pm »
I wouldn't worry about his supposedly bad first managerial stint, some coaches are only good as assistants like Pako, Meulensteen etc, hopefully it's the case with Pep as well.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #178 on: June 5, 2018, 05:50:37 pm »
Great news

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #179 on: June 5, 2018, 05:55:41 pm »
Update the thread title!

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: June 5, 2018, 05:57:44 pm »
Progressive young coach - players like him - Klopp likes him. Glad to hear it.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: June 5, 2018, 05:58:45 pm »
It's weird, though, because he had a 50% win record which is excellent. Their previous manager had them in first. Am I missing something or are NEC fans just incredibly demanding?

I can't agree with DutchRed that he did woeful at NEC. Looks like he was a victim of impatience more than anything else.

Hmmm, NEC, unrealistic fan expectations, sacking multiple managers, this is ringing a bell...

Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: June 5, 2018, 06:23:59 pm »
His number 2 is still Buvac unless something changes.

According to Neil Jones article it’s unlikely he’s coming back.

https://t.co/c3Cdc51XQQ

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: June 5, 2018, 06:25:44 pm »
According to Neil Jones article it’s unlikely he’s coming back.

https://t.co/c3Cdc51XQQ

Yeah, we'll just have to see.

Offline Art of Lies

• The anime Effes. RAWK never forgets the tentacles.
  • Kopite
« Reply #184 on: June 5, 2018, 06:34:35 pm »

He was expected to have instant success and completely revolutionise the way NEC played and trained, I don't think I have to explain to you why that is impossible.

NEC has been a bit of a basket case in Dutch football, they have dropped from the highest division a number of times in the last decade and it is only 2 years ago since they were under supervision of the Dutch FA because of their financial situation. Every expense over €50,000 had to be cleared by the Dutch FA.
'If I had known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.'

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: June 5, 2018, 06:39:20 pm »
David Maddock @MaddockMirror 43m
With the return of Pep Lijnders to Anfield, @LFC have made clear that Zeljko Buvac remains an employee of the club, and his position is unaffected by this coaching appointment. Jurgen Klopp still hoping Buvac will return following his absence for 'personal reasons'

Offline The Istvan Kozma Fan Club

• Kopite
« Reply #186 on: June 5, 2018, 07:15:19 pm »
The prodigal son returns!

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #187 on: June 5, 2018, 07:17:56 pm »
Great News. If Klopp rates him highly then it is a no brainer.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #188 on: June 5, 2018, 07:18:30 pm »
But why did the previous manager leave? They were in top spot at the time were they not? If there were behind-the-scenes problems, then surely they existed regardless of who was manager?

I'm genuinely interested, as it seems strange to call a 50% win rate "Woeful" unless it's a top club in a one-team league (ahem, Celtic) ;D

Their previous manager was Adrie Bogers, the club's assistant. He was put in place reluctantly as the club did not succeed in finding somebody for the job last summer. He agreed to take the helm until whenver the club found a new man. The club enjoyed a decent enough first half of the season and were well placed to win the division when Lijnders came in. Performance levels dropped, the team's two key players struggled for form. Off the pitch, Lijnders apparently fell out with his asisstant and various first-team players(he even sent the goalkeeper on holiday and turned to someone who hadn't played professional football in two years). As spells go they hardly come more disastrous.

They had the chance to take charge of the league at Oss and lost 3-0 in the game they had in hand. They had the chance to really wrap things up when their rivals went through a spell of picking up one point in five, but never quite seemed to get the decisive advantage. They then got offered a rematch at the Ajax reserves because the Dutch FA had glossed over the fact that one of the Ajax players was ineligible. They lost again. On the final day, they could not even beat a 10-man Dordrecht who had both eyes on their play-off games to keep the pressure on. Then when they had to try and gain promotion through the play-offs, their first game was a 4-0 trashing by Emmen, a team they really should have beaten.

NEC are notorious for being poorly-run(hence they are second tier) and having a tough fan base to win over, but being Dutch Lijnders should have known that. This was not the time to try all sorts of new tactics, it was just a matter of contiuning on the right track that was laid out when he first arrived. All of this is definitely not me saying that he is not fit to do the job he does at Liverpool, but he was quite culpable of some serious errors(who knows, we might one day consider them to be 'tuition fees') in his first job as a manager.

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #189 on: June 5, 2018, 07:20:25 pm »
He was expected to have instant success and completely revolutionise the way NEC played and trained, I don't think I have to explain to you why that is impossible.

NEC has been a bit of a basket case in Dutch football, they have dropped from the highest division a number of times in the last decade and it is only 2 years ago since they were under supervision of the Dutch FA because of their financial situation. Every expense over €50,000 had to be cleared by the Dutch FA.

Their finances are now sound, it's the technical side of things they struggle with most these days. They offered very good wages(€350k a year) to a certain player but he renewed his deal at his Eredivisie club instead.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #190 on: June 5, 2018, 08:38:53 pm »
Wasn't Pep heavily involved with the technical coaching in the Academy?
I'm sure I read somewhere that he was responsible for the increased technical skill at the Academy and consequently, the Reserves-and we've maintained a steady stream of technically astute youngsters since his appointment.
I'm jumping the gun here, but if that's the case, I can see him working on our passing and ball retention especially.
I think we're looking at a midfield overhaul and the consequences of that will be a bit more work in terms of passing and ball retention. Brendan valued him highly in that regard as well.

Who knows- maybe it's not that, but to facilitate easing in the youngsters..
« Last Edit: June 5, 2018, 08:41:09 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Online Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: June 5, 2018, 10:48:26 pm »

I certainly won’t claim to know as much as DutchRed about the NEC situation, but I did peruse an NEC forum right after Pep was sacked and there were several instances of fans implying the behind the scenes of the club are a mess and Pep was just the tip of the iceberg as far as who they’d like to see fired.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Online Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Pep Lijnders returns to Liverpool with immediate effect
« Reply #192 on: June 6, 2018, 12:04:05 am »
Another good signing.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: June 6, 2018, 04:03:39 am »
Many successful coaches started with their first managerial engagement ending less than spectacularly. At worst, there are many excellent coaches who do not make good managers, and the only way to find out one's limitations is to go out on a limb and give it one's all.

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: June 6, 2018, 08:15:59 am »
Being a successful manager and getting success at a football club is a hard task, that is why the top managers are paid so much. Being a coach is still a skillful job but needs less foresight, man-management and nous.
Hopefully this alleviates some of the burdens on Klopp.
If Buvac doesn't return then having Pep, Kraweitz, Kornmayer and his coaches is still a good support team to Klopp.
Ofcourse we still have Achterberg and he can help with passing messages to the fourth referee.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: June 6, 2018, 09:40:18 am »
Would we likely see another addition if Buvac doesnt return?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: June 6, 2018, 12:22:08 pm »
Being a successful manager and getting success at a football club is a hard task, that is why the top managers are paid so much. Being a coach is still a skillful job but needs less foresight, man-management and nous.
Hopefully this alleviates some of the burdens on Klopp.
If Buvac doesn't return then having Pep, Kraweitz, Kornmayer and his coaches is still a good support team to Klopp.
Ofcourse we still have Achterberg and he can help with passing messages to the fourth referee.

I'm not sure "less" is the right word. "Different" is more accurate.

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: June 6, 2018, 01:37:09 pm »
I'm not sure "less" is the right word. "Different" is more accurate.
I stand corrected. True, coaching will need a different nous and foresight in how to plan sessions and how to get the best in training.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: June 6, 2018, 02:19:41 pm »
Would we likely see another addition if Buvac doesnt return?

I would guess not. It says Pep would have a senior role in their set up. And a senior role suggests that he's going to be very much a first team coach now.  Although I guess they maybe could bring in another coach, cos they didn't replace Pep the first time, although his role was specially made for him, but did prove a good link between Melwood and the youth / U23 squads, maybe they'd do something like that again.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: June 6, 2018, 02:28:49 pm »
I would guess not. It says Pep would have a senior role in their set up. And a senior role suggests that he's going to be very much a first team coach now.  Although I guess they maybe could bring in another coach, cos they didn't replace Pep the first time, although his role was specially made for him, but did prove a good link between Melwood and the youth / U23 squads, maybe they'd do something like that again.

There is going to have to be a significant overhaul of the Academy with Gerrard and Beale both off anyway.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA