Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1757229 times)

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
Re: Atmosphere at Anfield
« Reply #13200 on: October 5, 2022, 05:57:44 pm »
I remember the ''Celtic-Rangers-Celtic-Rangers-Liiiiiiiiivvveeeeerrrrrppppoooooooooollllllllll....'' chants back when I was young. I always sang ''Celtic'' despite being brought up CofE then becoming agnostic.  :rollseyes

Haha...I first went on the Kop in 68, I was only 9, obviously not a clue what that chant was about, so being an excited kid eager to join in with everything, I sang both Celtic and Rangers!
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #13201 on: October 5, 2022, 06:35:54 pm »
Haha...I first went on the Kop in 68, I was only 9, obviously not a clue what that chant was about, so being an excited kid eager to join in with everything, I sang both Celtic and Rangers!
Brilliant.  :D
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13202 on: October 5, 2022, 06:46:53 pm »

I was 9 as well (but in 1984). I asked my brother what they were doing, and he told me. As I'm proddy I just joined in with the Rangers chant just to be a part of it. Didn't care about it but just liked to join in.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #13203 on: October 5, 2022, 08:07:08 pm »
I remember the chant well and I shouted for Rangers because my mate said you only shouted for Celtic if you were catholic. Had a soft spot for Rangers anyway as they were one of my subbiteo teams 😀

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #13204 on: October 5, 2022, 08:14:37 pm »
Just as well we won’t be playing Rangers or Celtic that often with all the sectarian dross it drags up.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13205 on: October 5, 2022, 08:21:51 pm »
I remember the chant well and I shouted for Rangers because my mate said you only shouted for Celtic if you were catholic. Had a soft spot for Rangers anyway as they were one of my subbiteo teams 😀

Without the Rangers/Celtic part we really need to bring back the Liiiiivvvvveeeeerrrppppooollll part, really powerful with different people joining in at different times and continuing until they were out of breath, eerie, haunting, deafening and intimidating.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #13206 on: October 5, 2022, 08:40:05 pm »
Without the Rangers/Celtic part we really need to bring back the Liiiiivvvvveeeeerrrppppooollll part, really powerful with different people joining in at different times and continuing until they were out of breath, eerie, haunting, deafening and intimidating.

My memory is getting worse, would that be the Kop 'drone' too, I wrote about that in a Kop booklet years for The HJC, but I can't remember if it's the same thing!

Haha, I remember Gerald Sinstadt during commentary once saying 'there's a strange sound coming from The Kop' that must have a lengthy version of the drone I think.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #13207 on: October 5, 2022, 09:25:57 pm »
My memory is getting worse, would that be the Kop 'drone' too, I wrote about that in a Kop booklet years for The HJC, but I can't remember if it's the same thing!

Haha, I remember Gerald Sinstadt during commentary once saying 'there's a strange sound coming from The Kop' that must have a lengthy version of the drone I think.

Dynamo Dresden 75/76 if I recall correctly.

Online storkfoot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13208 on: October 5, 2022, 09:31:54 pm »
I used to support Rangers as a second team from, say, 1970 to 1985. I went to Ibrox a few times and I was even in the away support at Celtic Park once. In those days, Rangers fans supported Liverpool and, believe it or not, Man City to a lesser degree. That was because they saw Man City as being Protestant because Man Utd, along with Arsenal and Everton, were Catholic.

Any fondness I had for Rangers disappeared in one morning kick off at Anfield in 1985. There was a very significant Scottish Rangers support in the Chelsea section of the Anny Road. There was a lot of fighting in the city centre, around Dale Street, after the game between Scottish Rangers fans and Liverpool. From that day forward, I have despised them.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13209 on: October 5, 2022, 09:49:38 pm »

Yes, the Kop drone. It sounded amazing.

I agree with Andy, I'd love to see it return.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13210 on: October 6, 2022, 12:38:38 pm »
Love this thread to bits. Everyone’s comments are valid and useful  but in my humble opinion, all of our supporters around the world and especially the younger ones need a crash course in what the Kop, the atmosphere in the ground and our unique relationship with the club is all about. 
Sorry if it’s a bit long-winded. I’m just writing this simply to explain my own link and relationship with the Kop and to comment on “atmosphere” both perceived and real. It’s my attempt to tell our fans  not to worry that the atmosphere has gone forever because it hasn’t.  I reckon that our “atmosphere” can and will right itself  probably when we least expect it to. But I reckon that there should be a word of warning because the atmosphere and more specifically the uniqueness of our support  needs to be fully appreciated and like other precious things it needs to be nurtured. Like anything of heritage.
The Kop is a time capsule of memories and like the Songlines it ought to be handed down from generation to generation. It’s that precious. It’s a memory of my dad and my granddad. It’s a link with my past and I want my kids to understand it too.
 Older generations need to pass songs and memories down to the younger generation. I also think that the older songs need to be sung every now and again. I really do. Nothing wrong with an occasional  “12 123 1234 St John.” In the same way as the Luis Garcia song is given an occasional airing.  I’d love to hear “It’s Cally , it’s Cally...” Why? Because it’s there and if it’s not sung it’ll be forgotten. That’s why the Boss nights are exactly that.
Sadly there aren’t enough young people getting into the Kop because of ticketing problems. That needs to be addressed by the club and personally I reckon that older generations, if they no longer feel like being part of what the Kop has always been with the songs and the chants,  season ticket holders or not, they should be encouraged to move elsewhere in the ground. That is if we want to preserve the unique thing that the Kop is. Not sure how you do it, but it needs to be discussed and shouldn’t be a taboo.  In the past older Kopites used to take themselves off to the Kemlyn Rd or the Main Stand. It was the way things worked. Sorry if it’s unpopular but it’s only an opinion.
It is after all the opinion of an old git who doesn’t get to the game very often but who followed the team up and down the country in the 70s and 80s and who stood on the Kop for about 10 years through the 70s and 80s. I don’t claim to know about the modern dynamics in play these days but I’d like to think that I know enough to give a general opinion about what makes for our special and unique atmosphere. Even when the atmosphere is shit and the opposition fans are singing , “where’s your famous atmosphere?”   Where? “Sing something simple, you simple twats!” Even when the atmosphere is shite at our place, it’s unique. Maybe even uniquely shite.
And, as I’ve said before on a few occasions , like the repetitive old git that I’ve become, our support and more specifically the Kop is as important as our successes on the pitch. As far as I’m concerned, our trophy haul wouldn’t have the same glitz or significance if the team and staff weren’t in symbiosis with the Kop and of course the rest of the supporters.  Nor would it be the same if there wasn’t the special relationship with our very very special and unique city.
I don’t honestly think that you can separate our team’s success from the support we give them or the relationship that we have with the manager and the city( or lack of relationship as happened with Hodgson.)  It’s basically Shanks’ Holy Trinity. The three things work together.
But atmosphere isn’t on tap. Good atmosphere comes together when the harmony is there and it ebbs and flows as in every relationship. A Tuesday in October isn’t always exciting nor is a Saturday morning in early January, but then again neither was it all the time in the 70s and 80s .
A grumpy crowd whinging about form or leaving on the 80th minute also comes across loud and clear too. Frustration and collective whining comes across loud and clear as well and it has an effect on the team. Indeed, The Kop used bollock the early leavers in the Kemlyn Rd  when they sneaked out early. “Sit down you bums,” they would roar. 
 But having said that, even when the atmosphere was low-key and the Kop was under-performing., there was always the chance that it could be resuscitated at any moment.  With humour or with something that happened on the pitch. A cat running on the park,  the bizzies marching towards the Kop like the Keystone Cops and getting the Laurel and Hardy tune, an attractive St John’s ambulance lady walking towards the Kop, ( obviously not politically correct these days,)  Gary Sprake the Leeds goalkeeper chucking the ball into his own net , or even the Grimsby Town fish chronicles. Something could always spark the masses out of slumber.
Our support and our relationship was/is so unique that it almost acted like one person. Its personality took on  the character of a single being and could change if circumstances dictated. Our support on the Kop, could change the shape of a game and the Kop used strategies to encourage,  “Come on Scousers, come on scousers!” was a rallying call which demanded greater intensity from the players. And they responded.
Similarly, when the players needed to show a bit less refinement and a bit more grit, “Get into them! “ was roared out and the players responded too, getting into the oppositions’ shins. Of course, “get into them” also encouraged the Anny Rd enders to lead the charge at the away supporters gathered in the Anfield Rd end and the Rd Enders usually responded with a “We are evil!” or  “we are the Anny Anny Rd end” to confirm that they were in attendance. This was then followed by a “it’s nice to know you’re here from the Kop.” That was the way the conversation went.
There were chants, not songs, to change the flow of the game. It was mass communication with the players. “Attack, attack, attack, attack, attack” needs no explanation. But if a win was needed it communicated urgence and the team usually responded.  “ More persuasive than “Come on scousers!! “ which admittedly was a little chastising, was “Come on you mighty reds, come on you mighty reds. “ This was a reminder top the players that in case they’d forgotten that they were world beaters, we hadn’t. So start showing it. I personally reckon that we could do with a few of these chants of encouragement, not just songs. Just saying like.
The starters of the chants and songs were hidden in the massed Kop. It could actually be anyone, but it was usually a select few. I even got a couple of songs started to my eternal pride. But we didn’t need a drum or an ultra man with his back turned towards us to get us by the scruff of the neck. We were a many-headed animal and the life flowed out of us from all over the place.
Interaction with the referee was also very personal. He was also told in no uncertain terms if he was having a stinker or not. There were songs which asked about his parentage or if he was prematurely bald then he would be reminded that his arse was on his head. Whether this put pressure on the officials or not, I don’t know, but we certainly got a fair rub of the green when we played at home. This was (and I’m sure still is at times)  the power of the Kop.
When there was a lull in the game or the Kop was quiet, it would be time for the Kop drone. As Son of Spion and Mike 58 have pointed out. Again, something totally unique and special . It really needs to be revived. It could start on the left, in the centre or on the right. And it whined. Liiiiiiiiiiippoooooooooolllllllllllll!!! A wondrous thing!!!!
Then there were the foreign delicacies. We really were unique. The port city and the city of travellers when most people still didn’t travel. I like to think it was superior level of mass culture. Scousers read and were informed and they knew their opera and literature. “ Go back to Italy “ roared the Kop, paraphrasing Cottrau’s  1850’s Neapolitan classic  to the Inter Milan players  as we stuffed them 3-1 but should have scored more.  Come on! Who was the genius who thought of that one on the spot in the Kop that night?
Even when success was imminent, we didn’t limit our repetoir to “We’re gonna win the League,” as great a song as it was. No, we had our French version.  We changed the epic Edith Piaf number ,Milord, and it became,” We’re gonna win the League, we’re gonna win the League. “  How I’d love to hear that again from the Kop. Then were the other classics like Renato Rascel’s “Arriverderci Roma,” changed to “the 25th May” or the Dean Martin classic, “ The Bridges of Paris, “ for our 1981  “ Gay Paris classic”.  And then there was the Dambuster dirge against our German opponents. Witty and a bit below the belt but memorable.  We were more international than Internazionale!
This , don’t forget was before the easy access of the Internet. It’s a delight to see that the more recent songsters are still dipping into the foreign bag  as well as using the Beatles’ song book. This is who we are. We must never forget it.
I could go on. All through the 2000s with the Istanbul classics and even the more recent beauties. The Rafa song which I had to laugh when I heard the Geordies rip it off so blatently...and badly. The Maxi Rodriguez beauty as well as the more recent gems. Why not sing these songs occasionally?  After all they are things of great beauty and recall moments of our glorious past.
I’ll conclude and apologise if I’ve gone on about this thing that is so dear to my heart for such a long post. Our support is different. It’s not always at the highest level, and anyone who thinks that the atmosphere should always be amazing forgets that the Kop is only human .We are not artificial.
The Kop is a treasure that needs to be handed down to future generations. As I said It is a time capsule of collective memories, of our dads and granddads and it needs to be understood. Pink Floyd didn’t use the Kop on one of their classics for nothing. If we ever worry that the atmosphere is a bit subdued, don’t worry. It might change at any moment like it did against Leicester in the League Cup. Let them sing, “where’s your famous atmosphere?”  and they’re right. It mightn’t be there  at that particular moment but the magic of our place is that it’s only ever round the corner. 
The important thing is that we never forget who we are. We are very special.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13211 on: October 6, 2022, 12:51:48 pm »
 :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13212 on: October 6, 2022, 12:55:21 pm »
Fantastic post  :wellin :champ
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #13213 on: October 6, 2022, 01:07:40 pm »

Quality - so good I'm going to read it again!  :wellin
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #13214 on: October 6, 2022, 01:16:19 pm »
Wow..some post that mate, great stuff!

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #13215 on: October 6, 2022, 01:35:45 pm »
Isn’t there a thread for great posts, if so this one should be added to it. Fantastic read that SN
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #13216 on: October 6, 2022, 01:39:40 pm »
The lack of atmosphere is deffo not a numbers thing either, like many Kopites have pointed out, the Auxerre game was unbelievable, The Kop was half empty but it felt possessed that night.

I personally think it's just the changing nature of the young, modern day fan, in my day footy was probably the be all and end all of our young life, we didn't have much else!

Now, I'm so not sure, plus the over saturation of footy these days means actually being in the ground itself feels like no big deal. The match will have been discussed and analysed to death prior to K/O, leaving no room for the imagination or surprise element.

When I was regular Kopite in the 70's, we knew virtually fuck all about the game we were about to see before K/O it was great that way, it made you feel special to witness what was actually going on, especially if it wasn't a televised game.

I made the very most of those 90 minutes, I felt priveleged to stand on The Kop, never took it granted, cos I knew on many occasions, there was thousands more fans outside who were locked out.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13217 on: October 6, 2022, 01:42:01 pm »
Great post SN.

Good summary of our social history in there too. You've picked out so many of the subtleties that make us a bit different. One of the important things is that unlike the ultra led support, we're not choreographed. It may not be as consistently loud, but it's spontaneous and real. At a time when may of us (especially the older fellas) are becoming more and more disillusioned with the game and the circus that surrounds it, you've given us a timely reminder of the stuff that helped make this club special.

Thanks for taking the time to post

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13218 on: October 6, 2022, 01:48:21 pm »
Great post SN.

One of the important things is that unlike the ultra led support, we're not choreographed.

At Glastonbury 2019 I meet a guy who claimed to work helping clubs organise tifos etc

Never had any calls from Liverpool. Fans do it themselves.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13219 on: October 6, 2022, 01:52:55 pm »
Cracker of a post that.  :wellin

Offline emitime

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #13220 on: October 6, 2022, 02:15:11 pm »
Was the pre-match music turned way down on Tuesday?

It sounded almost deafening on Saturday, but could barely hear it on Tuesday which meant people could actually start a few songs before kick off.

It's something that's been mentioned before and it definitely seemed to help.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #13221 on: October 6, 2022, 04:31:16 pm »
Always think a big jolt to the atmosphere is when we're in contention for the big trophies at the business end of the season and there's new songs that have took off (i.e. last year with Jota and Jurgen, even fuck the Tories). It was the cup runs that gave the season and the support momentum. But this season so far we've got the comedown from the previous season and it's stale again with everyone pissed off or despondent, whether at the poor start, lack of transfers or Haaland scoring 20 goals a game.

On and off the pitch it's a case of damaged limitation until the World Cup (getting out the CL group, not being too far off 4th). If the season gains momentum after the break, maybe a good signing in January as well, then the atmosphere will build a bit. That's the reality.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #13222 on: October 6, 2022, 04:55:20 pm »
The lack of atmosphere is deffo not a numbers thing either, like many Kopites have pointed out, the Auxerre game was unbelievable, The Kop was half empty but it felt possessed that night.

I personally think it's just the changing nature of the young, modern day fan, in my day footy was probably the be all and end all of our young life, we didn't have much else!

Now, I'm so not sure, plus the over saturation of footy these days means actually being in the ground itself feels like no big deal. The match will have been discussed and analysed to death prior to K/O, leaving no room for the imagination or surprise element.

When I was regular Kopite in the 70's, we knew virtually fuck all about the game we were about to see before K/O it was great that way, it made you feel special to witness what was actually going on, especially if it wasn't a televised game.

I made the very most of those 90 minutes, I felt priveleged to stand on The Kop, never took it granted, cos I knew on many occasions, there was thousands more fans outside who were locked out.

Going to the match in the 60s you’d get most of your information about the opposition at 1.30 when you bought your programme.

And the only social media type news was when one of the players wives opened a hairdressers.

https://shop.memorylane.co.uk/mirror/0200to0299-00208/bette-st-john-wife-liverpool-fcs-scotlands-21427031.html

Offline KevLFC

• Doesn't know the offside laws
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13223 on: October 6, 2022, 05:23:52 pm »

Why was the ground half full?

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #13224 on: October 6, 2022, 05:35:25 pm »
Not sure, just a very poor turn out, 23,000 I think. Maybe fans thought there was no way we'd turn around the 2-0 deficit, we where pretty shit at their place like!

Hard to say how many were on The Kop, the middle was pretty much packed, but it must have been was very sparse elsewhere. However, due to the nature of the games, those who were there made it sound like a full house.

When Mark Walters got the late winner it was utter bedlam!

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #13225 on: October 6, 2022, 05:41:17 pm »
Not sure, just a very poor turn out, 23,000 I think. Maybe fans thought there was no way we'd turn around the 2-0 deficit, we where pretty shit at their place like!

Hard to say how many were on The Kop, the middle was pretty much packed, but it must have been was very sparse elsewhere. However, due to the nature of the games, those who were there made it sound like a full house.

When Mark Walters got the late winner it was utter bedlam!

Bedlam, indeed... :D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/RZUWhOM6G6A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/RZUWhOM6G6A</a>

Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Oddbod

• Kopite
« Reply #13226 on: October 6, 2022, 05:51:41 pm »
The Auxerre one was probably my favourite atmosphere ever when in The Kop.

The support won that game for us imo

Offline Kenrick_66

• Main Stander
« Reply #13227 on: October 6, 2022, 05:53:39 pm »
It was live on BBC1 - and in those days being live on BBC meant knocking at least 10K off the gate. Although the same scenario - 2-0 down after first leg, live on TV - saw a full house later that season v Genoa. More glamorous opposition, people thinking lightning could strike twice? And of course grounds were rarely at capacity in those days. It's only been this century where you can pretty much guarantee a full house for every league game.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13228 on: October 6, 2022, 06:28:08 pm »
Isn’t there a thread for great posts, if so this one should be added to it. Fantastic read that SN
https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=236032.880

I don't know how to transfer the post to it though.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13229 on: October 6, 2022, 06:46:01 pm »
It was live on BBC1 - and in those days being live on BBC meant knocking at least 10K off the gate. Although the same scenario - 2-0 down after first leg, live on TV - saw a full house later that season v Genoa. More glamorous opposition, people thinking lightning could strike twice? And of course grounds were rarely at capacity in those days. It's only been this century where you can pretty much guarantee a full house for every league game.

If you look at the cup treble season of 00/01 there was some very low crowds in the cups until the later stages.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13230 on: October 6, 2022, 07:00:32 pm »
Amongst other reasons already given, it was at a time when football was still at something of a low point. Wider societal issues and a couple of decades of pretty horrific hooliganism saw attendances in general slump badly across the board.

These were the top ten average attendances for top flight clubs that season:

1) Mancs - 44,985

2) Liverpool - 34,941

3) Arsenal - 31,901

4) Sheff Wed - 29,578

5) Leeds - 29,493

6) Spurs - 27,761

7) Manc C - 27,688

8.) Villa - 24,811

9) Forest - 23,721

10) Bitters - 23,141

Chelsea were 13th with just 18,779

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13231 on: October 6, 2022, 07:19:40 pm »
Kemlyn was getting done up in 92 as well. Not sure if the upper was open for Auxerre.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13232 on: October 6, 2022, 07:39:38 pm »
Kemlyn was getting done up in 92 as well. Not sure if the upper was open for Auxerre.

Pretty sure it was opened for start of 92/93. The Kemlyn was completely empty anyway against Auxere. Despite the low attendance overall, I'd say the Kop was quite full.

Me and my mates got in and half way to our usual spec, we gave up.

For the others, the Kemlyn and Main Stand never, ever sung at all in those days. So with a full gate, the atmosphere wouldn't have been any better.

But I reckon Genoa was better than Auxere, until it was obvious we were going out. I had a proper panic attack against Genoa. I was under a surfer flag and there was loads of flares going off. Not the type of smoke flares like now, proper flares. Due to the heat of being under the surfer and the smoke getting trapped under it - I just needed to get out but couldn't move.

Needed to escape to behind one of the posts to sort my head out.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13233 on: October 6, 2022, 07:43:57 pm »

I remember my mate saying he was going to watch it in the pub to save money. Couldn't get my head around it cos I'd have spent loads more in the pub, than the cost of getting in back then.

But it was just like that back then. The 84 Euro final against Roma didn't sell out. Couldn't give them away. But a year later (Heysel), there wasn't enough tickets and loads bunked. Some things just can't be explained.

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #13234 on: October 6, 2022, 08:50:52 pm »
Get this fella back to get the singing going...the original Ultra!

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #13235 on: October 6, 2022, 10:33:10 pm »
What's with the up ' Ra thing at the end of minutes silence then .  Does anyone has link for it and actual footage ? Thanks.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #13236 on: October 6, 2022, 10:53:38 pm »
What's with the up ' Ra thing at the end of minutes silence then .  Does anyone has link for it and actual footage ? Thanks.

Loud and clear where I was in Kop 108. Sounded like from main stand Kop End.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13237 on: October 6, 2022, 10:58:45 pm »
Two sides to every story mate. There's also scousers who've had family shot by UDA and British troops.

Personally, I'm proddy but that's due to a schism in the family caused by one prick of a Catholic priest who wouldn't bless my Catholic Grandad on his death bed - because he'd married my Proddy Gran.

There's good and bad on both sides, and there's also areas that are very grey.

It's all a bit mad if you think about , eh ?   At the age of two an IRA bomb failed to go off at Aldershot sation when I was two.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13238 on: October 6, 2022, 10:59:34 pm »
Loud and clear where I was in Kop 108. Sounded like from main stand Kop End.

Nice one . 

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13239 on: October 6, 2022, 11:12:29 pm »
Amongst other reasons already given, it was at a time when football was still at something of a low point. Wider societal issues and a couple of decades of pretty horrific hooliganism saw attendances in general slump badly across the board.

These were the top ten average attendances for top flight clubs that season:

1) Mancs - 44,985

2) Liverpool - 34,941

3) Arsenal - 31,901

4) Sheff Wed - 29,578

5) Leeds - 29,493

6) Spurs - 27,761

7) Manc C - 27,688

8.) Villa - 24,811

9) Forest - 23,721

10) Bitters - 23,141

Chelsea were 13th with just 18,779

As a kid on the Kop in the early 80's I remember Anfield not being that full for league games.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi