Author Topic: The Horse Racing thread  (Read 324240 times)

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
Re: The Horse Racing thread
« Reply #2280 on: February 2, 2019, 02:19:18 pm »
:o are you sure about that?

Getting 7 pounds I think so yes.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2281 on: February 2, 2019, 02:31:54 pm »
I've often criticised Geraghty but that was a great ride on Defi Du Seil there.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #2282 on: February 2, 2019, 02:43:31 pm »
I've often criticised Geraghty but that was a great ride on Defi Du Seil there.
Amazing how they’ve got the horse back, brilliant as a juvenile but looked finished last season and then bunny hopped every fence on debut this year, but seems to be getting better with each race again.

"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2283 on: February 2, 2019, 03:54:40 pm »
This years Arkle shaping up to be a great race. Lalor, Le Richebourg, Cilaos Emery, Dynamite Dollars possibly Defi Du Seuil & Kalashnikov. Was a big Lalor fan earlier in the season, still am but not as confident.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2284 on: February 2, 2019, 04:09:59 pm »
Really fancy Duke of Navan to place in the last at Leopardstown

Currently 28/1

Ran a stormer at Cheltenham a few races ago.  Not been too good last 2 races though hence the price.  I'm looking at a bounce-back here.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2285 on: February 2, 2019, 04:15:32 pm »
Amazing how they’ve got the horse back, brilliant as a juvenile but looked finished last season and then bunny hopped every fence on debut this year, but seems to be getting better with each race again.

Yeah I can't say I thought he was going to be near the top of the ranks for the novice chasers this season. I echo your point on the novice division this year, as good as I can remember since I really started following.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2286 on: February 2, 2019, 04:16:23 pm »

Currently 28/1

Ran a stormer at Cheltenham a few races ago.  Not been too good last 2 races though hence the price.  I'm looking at a bounce-back here.

Top weight will be tough in this, they're always ultra competitive.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2287 on: February 2, 2019, 04:18:21 pm »

Currently 28/1

Good luck with that Pete, I’m not betting at the moment trying to abstain until Cheltenham and save up a bit for that week

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2288 on: February 2, 2019, 04:21:09 pm »
Yeah I can't say I thought he was going to be near the top of the ranks for the novice chasers this season. I echo your point on the novice division this year, as good as I can remember since I really started following.
There’s no out an out superstar between them but they all seem to be of a really good level and hopefully they all turn up. As much as it’s great to see the superstars it often scares off half the opposition given there are so many other options at Cheltenham these days

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2289 on: February 2, 2019, 04:25:23 pm »
Followed on that Pete. Nice one.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2290 on: February 2, 2019, 04:26:49 pm »
That'll do

Only got 25/1 but nice touch

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2291 on: February 2, 2019, 04:27:54 pm »
Good shout that Pete, well played

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2292 on: February 2, 2019, 04:31:08 pm »
There’s no out an out superstar between them but they all seem to be of a really good level and hopefully they all turn up. As much as it’s great to see the superstars it often scares off half the opposition given there are so many other options at Cheltenham these days

Yeah I'm just looking forward to hopefully a cracking race on the day. A lot of horses I like potentially lining up against each other.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2293 on: February 2, 2019, 04:39:16 pm »
Yeah I'm just looking forward to hopefully a cracking race on the day. A lot of horses I like potentially lining up against each other.
It’s gone from being a race I was looking to have a decent bet in (on Lalor) to one that I may not get involved in as I can’t decide between Lalor, Le Richebourg & Cilaos Emery. But certainly one to look forward to watching.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2294 on: February 3, 2019, 03:49:33 pm »
Impressed with Sir Erec today, but not a great price now unsurprisingly. Lots of non runners unfortunately though so hard to know what to make of the rest. Not sure I saw anything to worry either Delta Work or Percy as much as it was a great finish to the Irish Gold Cup

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2295 on: February 3, 2019, 07:00:53 pm »
Impressed with Sir Erec today, but not a great price now unsurprisingly. Lots of non runners unfortunately though so hard to know what to make of the rest. Not sure I saw anything to worry either Delta Work or Percy as much as it was a great finish to the Irish Gold Cup

Sir Erec is your Triumph winner I would think. Could be special.

Offline ohweloveyerbaldyhead

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2296 on: February 4, 2019, 08:37:34 am »
Some addition to the fixture list the Dublin Racing Festival isn't it?!

Triumph looks a real cracker of a race, I reckon Joseph will train1-2-3 in it.

Loved Bellshill, think he's a serious player in the Gold Cup.

Klassical Dream wins the supreme for me.

My biggest bet of the season coming up on Saturday, Monsieur Lecoq 14/1 each way in the Betfair Hurdle. Hopefully add to the Cheltenham fund!

Twitter: @loveyerbaldyhead

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2297 on: February 4, 2019, 02:24:56 pm »
Some addition to the fixture list the Dublin Racing Festival isn't it?!

Triumph looks a real cracker of a race, I reckon Joseph will train1-2-3 in it.

Loved Bellshill, think he's a serious player in the Gold Cup.

Klassical Dream wins the supreme for me.

My biggest bet of the season coming up on Saturday, Monsieur Lecoq 14/1 each way in the Betfair Hurdle. Hopefully add to the Cheltenham fund!

An excellent set of races definitely, shame the ground robbed us of a few runners. I thought Al Boum Photo might have gone close.

Think Bellshill is more likely than Kemboy, it was a close finish with RTR who I do rate, I’m just not sure RTR has really improved from his first run of the season, still think Percy is the one.

Aramon was giving Klassical Dream 1lb and I wondered if you changed the jockey whether you’d get the same result it was so close (not a dig at Townsend). Presume they’ll both go Supreme, doesn’t seem much between them though. The Supreme is one race I don’t have a strong opinion about still.

Good luck with Monsieur Lecoq, always a tough race to find the winner of.
« Last Edit: February 4, 2019, 02:28:53 pm by duvva »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2298 on: February 4, 2019, 02:40:53 pm »
The thing I liked about Bellshill was how strong he was in the finish, I'd have liked to have seen him win it more comfortably but I think Willie's string will improve again after a slow start and the extra stamina will really really suit him in the Gold Cup, they just seem to have him right at the minute and seem to be very confident in him.

I see your point re Klassical and Aramon, however I think the fact Ruby picked Klassical is very significant. It was also only his second start for Willie whereas Aramon has been on the go since the summer, I could see another leap forward from Klassical next month.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2299 on: February 4, 2019, 03:05:56 pm »
The thing I liked about Bellshill was how strong he was in the finish, I'd have liked to have seen him win it more comfortably but I think Willie's string will improve again after a slow start and the extra stamina will really really suit him in the Gold Cup, they just seem to have him right at the minute and seem to be very confident in him.

I see your point re Klassical and Aramon, however I think the fact Ruby picked Klassical is very significant. It was also only his second start for Willie whereas Aramon has been on the go since the summer, I could see another leap forward from Klassical next month.

Think you’re right regarding the Ruby factor and having more potential to improve, could see them fighting out the finish again next month.

Was never that impressed with Bellshill as a novice hurdler or chaser but he does seemed to have improved as he’s got older, I just can’t see him winning the Gold Cup. Then again my colours are very much firmly nailed to Percy.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2300 on: February 4, 2019, 03:06:53 pm »
If Bellshill wins the Gold Cup you'd have to say many horses will have run well below their best. I'd have Presenting Percy and Native River well ahead of him and then you've the likes of Clan Des Obeaux, Thistlecrack, Sizing John and Kemboy right there after those.
« Last Edit: February 4, 2019, 03:08:28 pm by Gerry Attrick »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2301 on: February 5, 2019, 06:39:36 am »
If Bellshill wins the Gold Cup you'd have to say many horses will have run well below their best. I'd have Presenting Percy and Native River well ahead of him and then you've the likes of Clan Des Obeaux, Thistlecrack, Sizing John and Kemboy right there after those.

Percy is the right fav just far far too short for me.

Native River would need it Soft to win it again.

Clan Des Obeaux i love the chances of after the King George, Thistlecrack no chance in a Gold Cup for me, I'd be running him from the front in the Ryanair if he were mine, Sizing John is the best horse in the race but is yet to run and Id say he's far more of a Gold Cup sort than Kemboy personally

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2302 on: February 5, 2019, 09:17:32 am »
Monsieur Lecoq into 7s, we all know what happens now, I get nothing 😂

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2303 on: February 5, 2019, 10:19:31 am »
At least you got the value!!

Offline beefdog

• Kopite
« Reply #2304 on: February 5, 2019, 11:44:20 pm »

Interesting, he'll want the rain that's forecast on Friday but that looks a good bet. :D

In the same race I've just backed Al Dancer to win this and then the Supreme at 25/1. His form is exceptional:

• Solid bumper run behind Portrush Ted in the Aintree bumper last year who looked some tool until the injury setback in the summer. The useful Kateson also beaten in this race (finished 3l behind Champ on his last appearance after winning the previous 2)
  • Then won first time over hurdles, beating Windsor Avenue who has come out and won 2 of his next 3 with the loss coming in a close finish where smart next time out winner Beakstown was also beaten.
  • Then won next novice hurdle where he beat Present Value who has come out and won his next race
  • And finally his handicap hurdle victory at Cheltenham where he destroyed the field and subsequent handicap winner Not That Fuisse. Time for weight adjustments against the novice hurdle on the same card won by Elixir De Nutz he comes out 7lb higher too.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2305 on: February 6, 2019, 09:03:44 am »
Interesting, he'll want the rain that's forecast on Friday but that looks a good bet. :D

In the same race I've just backed Al Dancer to win this and then the Supreme at 25/1. His form is exceptional:

• Solid bumper run behind Portrush Ted in the Aintree bumper last year who looked some tool until the injury setback in the summer. The useful Kateson also beaten in this race (finished 3l behind Champ on his last appearance after winning the previous 2)
  • Then won first time over hurdles, beating Windsor Avenue who has come out and won 2 of his next 3 with the loss coming in a close finish where smart next time out winner Beakstown was also beaten.
  • Then won next novice hurdle where he beat Present Value who has come out and won his next race
  • And finally his handicap hurdle victory at Cheltenham where he destroyed the field and subsequent handicap winner Not That Fuisse. Time for weight adjustments against the novice hurdle on the same card won by Elixir De Nutz he comes out 7lb higher too.

I haven’t really looked at the Betfair Hurdle as I’m not betting at the moment, but he certainly seems a worthy fav. One word of warning though, although Betfair Hurdle winners have a good record of running well in the Supreme they don’t win it. Only of concern I guess if you follow trends/stats (and obviously they will all be broken eventually). I use a site called GaultStats when planning for Cheltenham - absolute goldmine of info and well worth a look. Pointed me towards a couple of 33/1 winners at the last 2 festivals.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2306 on: February 6, 2019, 09:19:32 am »
Where are you getting 25s mate? Best I can see is 12.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2307 on: February 6, 2019, 09:51:47 am »
Where are you getting 25s mate? Best I can see is 12.
I think he means 25/1 to win the Betfair & Supreme

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2308 on: February 6, 2019, 10:29:48 am »
Ah, sound.

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2309 on: February 6, 2019, 01:08:24 pm »
Betfair are offering it as a special, presumably because of their sponsorship of the race on Saturday.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2310 on: February 7, 2019, 04:06:14 pm »
So, how long do we reckon horse racing could be suspended for? Real danger of Cheltenham and Aintree biting the dust or will this be a relatively quick thing?

Online Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #2311 on: February 7, 2019, 05:01:10 pm »
So, how long do we reckon horse racing could be suspended for? Real danger of Cheltenham and Aintree biting the dust or will this be a relatively quick thing?

Wednesday at the earliest, depends how long the virus hangs around.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/47161779
#Sausages

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #2312 on: February 7, 2019, 09:52:07 pm »
So, how long do we reckon horse racing could be suspended for?

Not furlong I hope.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2313 on: February 7, 2019, 10:00:48 pm »
Not furlong I hope.

Not gonna lie that flu straight over my head.

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2314 on: February 8, 2019, 03:25:58 am »
Hard to see Cheltenham not being majorly affected by this. Depends how many yards are affected and how well they can totally get rid of it.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2019, 04:07:59 am by Crouch Potato »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2315 on: February 8, 2019, 08:19:39 am »
It's a very worrying time with regards to Cheltenham & Aintree but we also have major flat meetings starting with the Guineas just around the corner. They seem to have acted very swiftly. Ireland are still racing despite Elliot having runners at Ayr so I'm taking that as a positive, hopefully the lockdown will do it's intended job and stop a spread and trainers start getting the all clear from tests being carried out today on all horses.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2316 on: February 8, 2019, 09:01:32 am »
At least we still have Friday nights at Dundalk! Hey Pretty 16/1 each way in the 5:30

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2317 on: February 8, 2019, 10:42:49 am »
All seems to depend on there being no further cases identified after this 3 day incubation period. If they can go racing again from next Weds then hopefully the likes of Cheltenham will go ahead. Obviously there’s now likely to be an impact on those whose prep runs were due over this period which probably isn’t good for all those who should have run at Newbury on Sat like Native River and Clan Des Obeaux.

Fingers crossed there aren’t any more cases identified, but it does seem as though the BHA etc have acted as quickly as they could to limit the damage.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2318 on: February 8, 2019, 11:58:28 am »
All seems to depend on there being no further cases identified after this 3 day incubation period. If they can go racing again from next Weds then hopefully the likes of Cheltenham will go ahead. Obviously there’s now likely to be an impact on those whose prep runs were due over this period which probably isn’t good for all those who should have run at Newbury on Sat like Native River and Clan Des Obeaux.

Fingers crossed there aren’t any more cases identified, but it does seem as though the BHA etc have acted as quickly as they could to limit the damage.

If there's no more cases I'd hope they'd throw that Newbury card on, even if it's midweek!

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2319 on: February 8, 2019, 01:09:06 pm »
If there's no more cases I'd hope they'd throw that Newbury card on, even if it's midweek!
I’m sure they will, and if they can re arrange within the next week it may not really impact those running but just if it went on longer it might get too close to Cheltenham for some