Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12293934 times)

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #99880 on: July 12, 2019, 04:38:01 pm »
Any chance Glatzel could be the next Dirk Kuyt? We still haven't replaced him after all.

Good shout that. Any word on the severity of his knock yesterday?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #99881 on: July 12, 2019, 04:42:36 pm »
Bobby Duncan was being linked with Borussia Dortmund the other week  :P

In my opinion he is better than some have claimed, can't say I'm surprised that other teams are showing interest in him.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline accyred

• Kemlynite
« Reply #99882 on: July 12, 2019, 05:46:19 pm »
Will anyone attend the checkatrade trophy games to watch the academy side (u21) and see how they progress against some very physical teams ?
In sunny Spain , we won it six times  🇪🇸

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #99883 on: July 12, 2019, 07:28:26 pm »
Duncan will struggle at first team level.

Looks another Morgan. No outstanding atribute apart from finishing you need more that that.

I mean not to compare them, but Robbie Fowler didn’t look to have any outstanding attribute ‘apart from finishing’ when he was young
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Dundalis

• Kopite
« Reply #99884 on: July 13, 2019, 07:29:16 am »
Any chance Glatzel could be the next Dirk Kuyt? We still haven't replaced him after all.
I think Bobby did a pretty good job replacing Kuyt as our workhorse forward.
I mean not to compare them, but Robbie Fowler didn’t look to have any outstanding attribute ‘apart from finishing’ when he was young
Same could be said of Neil Mellor. I think he's got more in common with Mellor than Fowler, but we'll see.

Has Hoever played much midfield? I feel like it's much more suited to his skillset, though he looks like he can play anywhere.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99885 on: July 13, 2019, 07:40:06 am »
With Lewis and Lourici as young left backs who are getting better and better I’m not expecting us to bring in further cover for Robertson

Thought both did well yesterday

Ill be amazed if either gets a single league game this season. Our alternative there will rightly be Milner.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99886 on: July 13, 2019, 07:46:03 am »
Physically Duncan looks like a young Rooney type,very strong and dynamic looking lad.

He scored his one chance which is always good for a striker,to have that finishing touch.

I really know next to nothing about him but looking forward to watching a few youth games this season to see how he and the other kids do.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99887 on: July 13, 2019, 08:07:20 am »

And we shouldn't either. This team is now at such a high level that we cannot accommodate someone of Dirk's limited technical ability and limited speed. We are a team built on speed and skill.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99888 on: July 13, 2019, 08:25:08 am »
It's going to a busy season for the academy lads with the extra games in the EFL trophy, especially if we get some easier early round draws in the League Cup.

The u23s title.  The EFL Trophy.  UEFA Youth Cup.

It's great they'll be getting some open age competitive game time rather than just youth games.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99889 on: July 13, 2019, 08:47:27 am »
Ill be amazed if either gets a single league game this season. Our alternative there will rightly be Milner.

Kind of my point

Milner will be the go to person but leaves development gap for the two youngsters if we don’t sign anyone

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99890 on: July 13, 2019, 08:47:52 am »
EFL trophy draw

B: Accrington Stanley, Oldham Athletic, Fleetwood Town, Liverpool U21

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99891 on: July 13, 2019, 08:51:42 am »
Will anyone attend the checkatrade trophy games to watch the academy side (u21) and see how they progress against some very physical teams ?

Be interstate matchups I think and we’ve got some good players

Wouldn’t mind seeing a game or two

Online sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99892 on: July 13, 2019, 09:51:42 am »
I thought and still actually think this about Harry Kane. Its worked out alright for him.

That’s a great example. I feel the same about Kane, I just can’t understand why he’s such a good striker.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #99893 on: July 13, 2019, 10:01:59 am »
That’s a great example. I feel the same about Kane, I just can’t understand why he’s such a good striker.

Kane is good because he's a target man who is quicker, more technical, more creative and more clinical than nearly every other target man.  He's very good at a lot of aspects of the game.  Duncan for me would be more like Aguero, low centre of gravity, stocky build and good finisher.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99894 on: July 13, 2019, 10:06:38 am »
EFL trophy draw

B: Accrington Stanley, Oldham Athletic, Fleetwood Town, Liverpool U21
Wow that's a great draw for the lads and locals to watch them too.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99895 on: July 13, 2019, 10:14:06 am »
Hope we don't keep players back just for the checkatrade trophy, still plenty who need a loan/to be sold.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #99896 on: July 13, 2019, 10:46:59 am »

When viewing football games, there's a tendency for all of us to just focus on the ball, but one of the biggest reasons some target 9s are really good over others, for as much as they're good in finishing and technique to strike the ball and strength (all of which Kane has), is actually movement. They know how to ghost between defenders or manipulate the defenders about their position. I've seen someone like Cavani (whose movement is elite) tap on a defender's shoulder from right, and before the defender turned right, he moved to the left & went through on goal. Off the ball movement is extremely important for target 9s, & the elite ones are quicker in their minds than the opposition defenders on what to do next.

Offline Maldini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99897 on: July 13, 2019, 10:49:52 am »
One of United's best kids has turned down their offer of a contract, Bayern are supposed to be interested. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes to us though, I follow him on Instagram and he's been liking and commenting on loads of LFC players' posts recently

https://www.balls.ie/amp/football/mipo-odubeko-man-united-413983?__twitter_impression=true

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99898 on: July 13, 2019, 11:52:50 am »
Do people even watch Kane? His technique is very good, can pass, has a delightful touch and quick-ish feet to go with his goal scoring ability, remember he used to play as a number 10 at times and there were comparisons to Sheringham, he's not a limited player in the same way Lewandpwski isn't .

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #99899 on: July 13, 2019, 12:28:49 pm »
Hope Glatzel is alright. Such a shame for him to suffer an injury when he likely had a great experience/opportunity ahead of him on tour to train and play with the first team

Online sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99900 on: July 13, 2019, 12:43:24 pm »
Do people even watch Kane? His technique is very good, can pass, has a delightful touch and quick-ish feet to go with his goal scoring ability, remember he used to play as a number 10 at times and there were comparisons to Sheringham, he's not a limited player in the same way Lewandpwski isn't .

No one has called him limited, they are just saying that he is in the very good category for everything rather than being outstanding at one specific thing.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99901 on: July 13, 2019, 01:53:09 pm »
No one has called him limited, they are just saying that he is in the very good category for everything rather than being outstanding at one specific thing.

He's limited. Scores loads of goals though.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #99902 on: July 13, 2019, 02:01:16 pm »
He's limited. Scores loads of goals though.

He's limited in the same way that Lewandowski is, neither are high flair players but both are super effective because they're so good at everything a modern striker needs to be.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99903 on: July 13, 2019, 02:05:02 pm »
Kane is good because he's a target man who is quicker, more technical, more creative and more clinical than nearly every other target man.  He's very good at a lot of aspects of the game.  Duncan for me would be more like Aguero, low centre of gravity, stocky build and good finisher.

When Aguero was 15 he was also dribbling past players twice his age. You could tell by clips that he was special, and some players have that aura of them. But sure they are similar in style.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99904 on: July 13, 2019, 02:11:12 pm »
Judging by what Klopp said, Glatzel might be promoted full-time to Melwood when he returns from injury?

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99905 on: July 13, 2019, 02:12:07 pm »
He's limited in the same way that Lewandowski is, neither are high flair players but both are super effective because they're so good at everything a modern striker needs to be.

I don't think he's as strong at the aspects of game that have been mentioned in this thread aside from goalscoring - no one can argue with his record - but I don't think his all round game is particularly strong.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #99906 on: July 13, 2019, 02:32:11 pm »

I think Lewa has a lot of flair, maybe that's just me  :D He scores all types of goals, from tap ins to spectacular, sets up some goals too, he may not dribble past numerous players week in week out, but he's massively skillful.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #99907 on: July 13, 2019, 02:33:05 pm »
I think Lewa has a lot of flair, maybe that's just me  :D He scores all types of goals, from tap ins to spectacular, sets up some goals too, he may not dribble past numerous players week in week out, but he's massively skillful.

Yup, same as Kane.  They don't skin players but both can hit them from range, both have very good technique and both are great at holding the ball up.  They're turbo target men.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #99908 on: July 13, 2019, 02:35:39 pm »
Yup, same as Kane.  They don't skin players but both can hit them from range, both have very good technique and both are great at holding the ball up.  They're turbo target men.

yeah, I can see that! To be honest, I've seen far more of Lewandowski over the years than I have Kane. Lewa's been one of my favourite players to watch for years now, even though I can't stand Bayern, and hate that he went there. I love watching him play, just an all-round fantastic striker, who still gets under-appreciated A LOT! 

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99909 on: July 13, 2019, 03:19:32 pm »
Never heard of James balagizi but apparently has played for England U16 in friendlies, and scored for us in the U18s 5-0 win against Bury today.   

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #99910 on: July 13, 2019, 04:26:46 pm »
When Aguero was 15 he was also dribbling past players twice his age. You could tell by clips that he was special, and some players have that aura of them. But sure they are similar in style.

Well you would expect that to happen :D
Better looking than Samie.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99911 on: July 13, 2019, 04:51:18 pm »
Hope Glatzel is alright. Such a shame for him to suffer an injury when he likely had a great experience/opportunity ahead of him on tour to train and play with the first team
Unfortunately Klopp confirmed its a serious injury and a knee one at that. Hopefully it doesn't include an ACL injury an he can heal without surgery.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/356271-jurgen-klopp-paul-glatzel

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #99912 on: July 13, 2019, 06:14:20 pm »

Yep, spot on.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #99913 on: July 13, 2019, 09:12:45 pm »
5-0 win against Bury for the u18s today. 2 goals for the Layton Stewart lad that seems to be a new standout performer. Jake Cain on the score sheet again as well, he’s primed to have a huge season. Great creative midfielder.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99914 on: July 14, 2019, 12:14:17 pm »
So Dan Atherton is now our No 2 goalie and presumably has to go on the tour now Jaros is out.  They’re probably going to have to draft Kai in to, or keep Shamal on for a bit longer?  Unless Grabara returns anytime soon. 

Glad Liam Millar is back and likely to go on tour.  I think he has the speed, technique and game sense to make a good standard striker. 

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #99915 on: July 14, 2019, 12:20:58 pm »
So Dan Atherton is now our No 2 goalie and presumably has to go on the tour now Jaros is out.  They’re probably going to have to draft Kai in to, or keep Shamal on for a bit longer?  Unless Grabara returns anytime soon. 

Glad Liam Millar is back and likely to go on tour.  I think he has the speed, technique and game sense to make a good standard striker.

That's a shame. I liked the look of Jaros, he seemed confident with the ball at his feet in the last game. Any idea if he can get back for any of our pre-season games?

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99916 on: July 14, 2019, 12:29:01 pm »
That's a shame. I liked the look of Jaros, he seemed confident with the ball at his feet in the last game. Any idea if he can get back for any of our pre-season games?

Doubt it.  Elbow ligament strain and out ‘for a number of weeks’.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #99917 on: July 14, 2019, 12:56:21 pm »
Doubt it.  Elbow ligament strain and out ‘for a number of weeks’.

Ta mate.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99918 on: July 14, 2019, 01:13:36 pm »
our youth keeper dropping like flies at the moment.

didn't we sign an assistant to Achterberg. maybe either one could fill in on the bench. or even play an outfield role. ;D

Looking forward to the bradford game as it looks like our youth are fitting in quite nicely with the seniors. Brewster, Jones and Duncan on the scoresheet surely does wonders to their morale. And training and being on the same pitch as Mr Ribena, Cpt hendo and even Divock shows that hard work is being rewarded.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99919 on: July 15, 2019, 10:09:20 pm »
I do believe the lesser-spotted Dal Varesanovic is with the U23s for this evening’s game v Spartans, which LFC won from a late goal from Bearne.  You might be wondering what Bearne is doing playing for the U23s but I guess with Glatzel (now injured of course) and Duncan training with the firsts while our first team front line are all away, everyone has moved up for pre-season.  Makes our U23s look a bit lightweight up front with only o’rourke, and then Bearne.  Still, a good learning experience for them. 

Anyway, Neil Jones of Goal tweeted the team sheet and ‘Dal’ was amongst the subs.   Bit of a shock having never seen his name on a team sheet before.  Must have had some awful injuries over the last two years.   

George Johnston was captaining, and seems like he’s likely to go out on loan if he signs a new contract (he was listed as “contract offered” on the list of players retained at end June).