Author Topic: Things in art and media that you just don't really get  (Read 2021 times)

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
Re: Things in art and media that you just don't really get
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2022, 12:30:35 pm »

Morning/breakfast ‘news’ programmes where they sit on sofas with coffee cups they don’t drink from

Um, what's not to get about Breakfast telly? They sit on the sofa, read the news and interview people about the news, or soap stars if you're watching GMB. It's not exactly high concept tv.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2022, 12:30:44 pm »
Eminem. “Stan” is a genuinely brilliant song and I appreciate the technical proficiency and how much he has influenced some of the best rappers of this generation, but that thing he does where he raps as fast as possible for the sake of showing us that he can do it is one of the least impressive things that I have ever seen in my life. Also, although “Lose Yourself” is another fantastic song, I do find the “There’s vomit on his sweater already, mom’s spaghetti” a bit mad. Imagine going to a gig and one of the musicians had just spewed all over themselves before coming out.

Eminem himself is pretty terrible these days unfortunately. Agree about fitting every word possible into a verse as fast possible, just terrible.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2022, 12:49:18 pm »

Starter for two.

2. Poetry.

5. Poems

Any other things out there where you think WTF?!

A pen and a pad.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2022, 06:24:27 pm »
Eminem. “Stan” is a genuinely brilliant song and I appreciate the technical proficiency and how much he has influenced some of the best rappers of this generation, but that thing he does where he raps as fast as possible for the sake of showing us that he can do it is one of the least impressive things that I have ever seen in my life. Also, although “Lose Yourself” is another fantastic song, I do find the “There’s vomit on his sweater already, mom’s spaghetti” a bit mad. Imagine going to a gig and one of the musicians had just spewed all over themselves before coming out.

To me, that has always conjured up an image of a rapper as he is starting out in his career and is so scared/nervous he throws up before going on stage/having a battle and even though he cleans himself us as best he can, he still misses a bit.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2022, 06:26:49 pm »
To me, that has always conjured up an image of a rapper as he is starting out in his career and is so scared/nervous he throws up before going on stage/having a battle and even though he cleans himself us as best he can, he still misses a bit.

Exactly that, it’s based on his character in 8 Mile surely.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2022, 06:39:09 pm »
Christopher Nolan - Just Michael Bay with A-Levels.  I actually liked Memento, Following and Insomnia, after that he became increasingly bombastic and seemingly gave up on narrative.

Line Of Duty - Convolution upon convolution does not equal great ‘twists’.  Fucking meh.

Catcher In The Rye - 270 pages of a whiny, repetitive, narcissistic boredom.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 06:40:49 pm by Hedley Lamarr »

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2022, 08:20:50 pm »
Christopher Nolan - Just Michael Bay with A-Levels.  I actually liked Memento, Following and Insomnia, after that he became increasingly bombastic and seemingly gave up on narrative.

Line Of Duty - Convolution upon convolution does not equal great ‘twists’.  Fucking meh.

Catcher In The Rye - 270 pages of a whiny, repetitive, narcissistic boredom.

It really is a load of bollocks, and is only considered great because Western culture is so self-absorbed like that arsehole Holden Caulfield anyway. The musical equivalent is Radiohead, another load of self-pitying egotistical nonsense.

Another one is comedians, often Oxbridge educated, becoming travel presenters. Why? It seems to be the downside of Michael Palin's legacy, who I do enjoy actually. I want in-depth, hard hitting and nuanced accounts of various cultures but instead we get some tosser like Rory McGrath doing limbo dancing and japing about in a grass skirt. Leave it all with Simon Reeve please.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2022, 08:24:16 pm »
Meh, I think Radiohead are great, fantastic musicianship, each album attempts something different, seem like decent chaps.