Author Topic: Cat advice thread  (Read 105736 times)

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
Re: Cat advice thread
« Reply #160 on: October 11, 2014, 01:42:02 pm »
Thanks so much for all your advice on Maxi's poogate!

I changed his food last Saturday, from Whiskas pouches to some Purina dry kitten food and it has worked a treat! He loves the dry stuff as much as he was loving the pouch food and no more leaking!

Took him to the vets on Monday for his first checkup and he's in great health. He's very small for his age but the vet says she just thinks that is how he will be! His mother isn't very big either from what I saw when going to collect him.

He was brilliantly behaved at the vets and they absolutely loved him and his nature. He was very quiet on Monday night, he had a lazy night on the sofa! But he's back to full health now and bouncing around as normal!

Last night, he popped into bed with my and my fiancé. Popped himself under the covers in between us both, with his little head on the pillow and his right paw over the blanket like any normal person! Very cute - even when discovering it at 3 in the morning!

I've only had him for a month, but I absolutely adore him. It breaks my heart leaving him for any amount of time during the day/night!

So now you are firmly under the paw - albeit a tiny one.  You are besotted.  Welcome to the club.  There's no going back and resistance is futile.  I wish you and Maxi very many happy years together.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: October 13, 2014, 03:20:19 pm »
Yeah, getting their bits sorted so that they aren't out making other kitties.  You get that done at around 4-6 months.

With you! Misread the original message.

4-6 months? We're getting them from the RSPCA and was under the impression they can have the snip sooner than later?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: October 16, 2014, 12:51:58 pm »
They probably can.  The aim is to have it done before they reach any sort of sexual maturity.  I'd just follow the advice of your vet.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: October 16, 2014, 01:42:55 pm »

Last night, he popped into bed with my and my fiancé. Popped himself under the covers in between us both, with his little head on the pillow and his right paw over the blanket like any normal person! Very cute - even when discovering it at 3 in the morning!

I've only had him for a month, but I absolutely adore him. It breaks my heart leaving him for any amount of time during the day/night!

You lucky sod, good walk down memory lane there for me, always made me chuckle when the pair of them would come in the then our bedroom at around 6, start pawing at my then missus face telling her to get up to feed them, after they'd polished off their nosh they'd come and cuddle up with me :D 

She resented me for that an claimed voodoo trickery!

Cats are ace, enjoy your little one mate.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: October 16, 2014, 07:37:18 pm »
My old cat of fourteen years passed away last summer, but I'm getting a new one on Halloween! I think I'm going to be going by the place to see the kittens tonight - I want a black one.  ;D I'll post a picture later, hopefully. I'm ridiculously excited, as I've been cat (and animal) obsessed since I was a kid.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: October 17, 2014, 08:53:42 am »
My old cat of fourteen years passed away last summer, but I'm getting a new one on Halloween! I think I'm going to be going by the place to see the kittens tonight - I want a black one.  ;D I'll post a picture later, hopefully. I'm ridiculously excited, as I've been cat (and animal) obsessed since I was a kid.

Well done for planning to choose a black kitten.   :)

Or rather, allowing him/her to choose you. You do realise you don't really get a say in the matter, don't you?

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures.  :thumbup
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #166 on: October 17, 2014, 11:26:27 am »
Here is the text I got from my missus today

And 4 months later

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: October 17, 2014, 12:48:12 pm »

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: October 17, 2014, 02:18:32 pm »
 ;D

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: October 17, 2014, 02:26:15 pm »
Excellent piccies.  Very many thanks to you all.  I'm in total bliss here. 

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: October 17, 2014, 02:46:11 pm »
Black cats are the best, they defo have strange characters (even for cats).
Here's Merlin cat. He's boss.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: October 17, 2014, 03:00:11 pm »
Black cats are the best, they defo have strange characters (even for cats).
Here's Merlin cat. He's boss.

Indeed he is.  I love all cats but have to confess to doting on the black ones.  But did you know they are the hardest to rehome?  (so say the Cats Protection League).   They have a bad rep (witchcraft) but I was raised to believe they're lucky.  Couldn't give a bugger either way on account of I don't have much time for people and their silly nonsenses.  And yes, I do have a blackie and she is my  best pal.

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: October 17, 2014, 03:03:02 pm »
We have black cat as well and she is so sensitive!  If you start laughing when she's playing she'll run off and hide. 

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: October 17, 2014, 03:11:11 pm »
We have black cat as well and she is so sensitive!  If you start laughing when she's playing she'll run off and hide. 

Nooooo.   Tell me about it.  Incredibly touchy and dignified.  Mr May and me must have bitten lumps off our knuckles stifling our laughter.  Cries of "Look away.  Don't laugh." and in with the knuckles . 

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: October 17, 2014, 03:21:09 pm »
Heh we tried to take a picture of our black cat and the facial recognition couldn't find a face : D

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: October 17, 2014, 03:23:52 pm »
Quote from: blurred link=topic=enm314771.msg13319129#msg13319129 date=1413555120
That, and they're also not photogenic.

No, really. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/30/pets-black-fur-cats-look-good-on-social-media

Well I take issue with that.  I find them stunning.   They are majestic and magnificent.  And the eyes.  Fabulous.  CPL produced a black cat calender for this year which graces my kitchen wall. 

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: October 17, 2014, 03:26:21 pm »
Got two sisters, the other one looks just like that but not as fat :D

it's amazing how attention seeking and soppy they are. they were terrified when we first got them. now this one literally meows at you and paws at your arm (with claws) if you don't give her attention! constantly rolls around looking for belly rubs as well.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: October 17, 2014, 03:49:11 pm »
Got two sisters, the other one looks just like that but not as fat :D

it's amazing how attention seeking and soppy they are. they were terrified when we first got them. now this one literally meows at you and paws at your arm (with claws) if you don't give her attention! constantly rolls around looking for belly rubs as well.

Well all praise to you for winning their trust and them knowing that affection will be freely given (claw assisted on occasion as a "hurry up")  ;D  Great stuff and well done you.   :scarf

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #178 on: October 17, 2014, 09:06:25 pm »
Pleased to hear he's on top form again!

You lucky sod, good walk down memory lane there for me, always made me chuckle when the pair of them would come in the then our bedroom at around 6, start pawing at my then missus face telling her to get up to feed them, after they'd polished off their nosh they'd come and cuddle up with me :D 

She resented me for that an claimed voodoo trickery!

Cats are ace, enjoy your little one mate.

Thanks, everyone!  :wave

I'm so in love with him!

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #179 on: October 17, 2014, 10:11:17 pm »
We had four cats and two dogs and a parrot, we are down to just three cats, Tom and George and Minnie, our Lola had to go to the vet and then on to wherever they go, we still miss her, lovely little Jack Russell but now we have Dodger, a strange looking chap, his owner died on the operating table in England so we are his mum and dad now, perhaps I should explain that we have a boarding kennels and cattery, Dodgers dad went to England to have the operation and never came back, that was about 3 yrs ago. Paco (the parrot) has been with us for three years his/her owner was an old Dutch lady she must have watched lots of American Films because she swore like a trooper and so did the parrot , she was found dead on the floor of her Villa and the Guardia Civil wouldn't go into the house because he was flying around, my son went in and got him brought him home and we have had him since, he is an African Grey  often telling our clients to Fuck Off, a client told us that if nobody around him swore then he would forget, that has worked a treat. Anyway I am lucky to have so many lovely dogs and cats to care for.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 09:39:12 am by vicgill »
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: October 18, 2014, 07:31:02 am »
You sure are Vic.  Very lucky indeed.  One question though.  How do you moderate your language when Paco bites you, as I understand he is given to do on occasion?  ;D

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #181 on: October 18, 2014, 09:37:52 am »
You sure are Vic.  Very lucky indeed.  One question though.  How do you moderate your language when Paco bites you, as I understand he is given to do on occasion?  ;D

I don't  Maggie I say it quickly and under my breath, it's like "Fffffffffffffuuuuuck" I think he is trying to do it but he is definitely having trouble with it, when I ask him "are you a good boy ?" he nods his head, my son has a very big German Shepherd called Louis and the parrot keeps calling his name, poor dog is going crackers but he is very obedient and runs to the cage and sits down. You know Mags when you feel rough or miserable being with animals,( except snakes and spiders ) can be very therapeutic, it works for me, trouble is I am getting too old now so we have put the place up for sale.
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: October 18, 2014, 10:21:03 am »
I don't  Maggie I say it quickly and under my breath, it's like "Fffffffffffffuuuuuck" I think he is trying to do it but he is definitely having trouble with it, when I ask him "are you a good boy ?" he nods his head, my son has a very big German Shepherd called Louis and the parrot keeps calling his name, poor dog is going crackers but he is very obedient and runs to the cage and sits down. You know Mags when you feel rough or miserable being with animals,( except snakes and spiders ) can be very therapeutic, it works for me, trouble is I am getting too old now so we have put the place up for sale.

;D  Little git.   Oh yes.  It works for me too.  When my Angel kittycat sits on my chest in the morning and wakes me up with kisses to my face it is a delight and a joy beyond imagination. 

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: October 29, 2014, 02:21:07 pm »
Our Lilypad still has a stitch from spaying surgery two months ago.  I though they were supposed to dissolve after two weeks?  Rang the vet and they said it could take 3 months but she has such thick fur that in three months you'd probably not know if it was there or not.  It's not bothering her but I don't like the idea of her running around stitch in her skin indefinitely.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: October 29, 2014, 02:34:32 pm »
Our Lilypad still has a stitch from spaying surgery two months ago.  I though they were supposed to dissolve after two weeks?  Rang the vet and they said it could take 3 months but she has such thick fur that in three months you'd probably not know if it was there or not.  It's not bothering her but I don't like the idea of her running around stitch in her skin indefinitely.

Take your point, but if your vet clearly has an opinion for 3 months, without getting into a row I'd suggest you keep a close eye on the site and at the least sign of redness whip her in.   

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: October 29, 2014, 04:56:50 pm »

This kitten looks like it's been up all night, drinking coffee and watching infomercials on TV. Always wondered what cats did during the night....now we know!
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: October 29, 2014, 05:00:55 pm »
Do cats drink milk? My brother said theyre lactose intolerant but our cat drinks it up and loves it

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #187 on: October 29, 2014, 05:10:42 pm »
Do cats drink milk? My brother said theyre lactose intolerant but our cat drinks it up and loves it

We give ours soy milk. We've been told not to give ours cows milk because some cats are lactose intolerant. But we've not tried cows milk to find out

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: October 30, 2014, 09:39:13 am »

It's a bad idea. As they grow up, cats lose the ability to produce lactase, the enzyme that digests lactose. That means they can develop digestive disorders - particularly diarrhoea and gas. This varies between cats in severity, but few if any adult cats can digest lactose.

If you must give milk, buy the lactose free types. However, they are much better with just water. Milk is also very fattening for cats, so you are laying up trouble for their middle age.

My cat is a serious cheese junkie, and I get savaged by a crazed loon any time a Stilton is unwrapped. It's all one can do to enforce the no milk rule, but it's important to keep the mad little bugger healthy.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: October 30, 2014, 12:07:13 pm »
I made the mistake of treating our Lily to milk and she's now a constant menace when I try to have some cereal.  I give in on the odd nights and treat her to a teaspoon full but I'm weening her off it.

Online gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: October 30, 2014, 01:40:31 pm »
I bought some cat milk to give my cat as a treat a few months ago and he absolutely loved it but I wouldn't make a habit out of it, just every now and again. I am quite bad for giving him bits of food that I'm eating though like little bits of chicken, ham, or cheese sometimes. Only the odd bit out of my hand though I wouldn't give him a full meal of it. He doesn't get fat either, he goes out all night and I don't know what he gets up to but he's built like a greyhound. When he went to the vets for his checkup a while ago she said he had lost a couple of ounces but he was "all muscle".

One question I have for this thread - does anyone have a cat that fights with other cats? My cat seems to be mates with all the other cats in our road but there is a big ginger cat who lives opposite that he hates. The ginger cat sometimes comes and sits on our step to wind him up if he's sat in the window, and he does the same back at his step over the road. The owners are nice and we all find it quite funny that they seem to hate each other but we wouldn't want them to do any damage, they've been fighting a couple of times in the street recently, nothing serious but as I say I don't want them to get hurt. Will they just grow out of this? My cat is 2 and the other one is a couple of years older. Both cats are neutered.

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: October 30, 2014, 01:54:06 pm »
Got my Kittens last friday - Rocket and Luna - right little devils at the moment. I'll post some pics when I get home :)
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: October 30, 2014, 02:06:03 pm »
One question I have for this thread - does anyone have a cat that fights with other cats? My cat seems to be mates with all the other cats in our road but there is a big ginger cat who lives opposite that he hates. The ginger cat sometimes comes and sits on our step to wind him up if he's sat in the window, and he does the same back at his step over the road. The owners are nice and we all find it quite funny that they seem to hate each other but we wouldn't want them to do any damage, they've been fighting a couple of times in the street recently, nothing serious but as I say I don't want them to get hurt. Will they just grow out of this? My cat is 2 and the other one is a couple of years older. Both cats are neutered.

Ginger toms are gits to other cats!  The local ginger cat round our end is a bit of a bully.  There's nothing really you can do about it as it's most likely a territorial dispute.

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: October 30, 2014, 02:08:17 pm »
This kitten looks like it's been up all night, drinking coffee and watching infomercials on TV. Always wondered what cats did during the night....now we know!

If I recall, I think we were dangling some string in front of her which caused her to go wild shortly after the pic was taken

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: October 31, 2014, 10:38:08 am »
I bought some cat milk to give my cat as a treat a few months ago and he absolutely loved it but I wouldn't make a habit out of it, just every now and again. I am quite bad for giving him bits of food that I'm eating though like little bits of chicken, ham, or cheese sometimes. Only the odd bit out of my hand though I wouldn't give him a full meal of it. He doesn't get fat either, he goes out all night and I don't know what he gets up to but he's built like a greyhound. When he went to the vets for his checkup a while ago she said he had lost a couple of ounces but he was "all muscle".

Cats milk is fine and we've had some cats who had exactly the same diet as the rest and never put on an ounce.  And I think you feeding him bits of the stuff you are eating is absolutely spot on.  You know he's getting 100% meat or fish as opposed to the miserly portion of actual meat or fish in pouches and such. 

As to the hate thing.  Well.  Planting your bum on another cat's step really is the ultimate insult.  The cat equivalent of parking your tank on the lawn.  In an ideal world you and the ginger's parents would sit them down, discuss the matter and give them both a stern talking to.  Alas.  That ain't gonna happen.  So I'd stay out of it if I were you.  As Mr May was given to say "Its a cat thing". 

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: October 31, 2014, 12:15:05 pm »

My two :-)

(Ps...on phone if it hasn't posted correctly...)

Offline MazzaKopter

• Main Stander
« Reply #196 on: November 2, 2014, 10:47:09 pm »
Really excited I'am getting a cat next week, it will be the first cat I've had since I was four. This does mean I'am not really sure how to deal with them as I'am far more confident with dogs but its still a kitten so hopefully he will get used to me. I will try to post pics when I get it. :)

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: November 2, 2014, 10:53:11 pm »
Really excited I'am getting a cat next week, it will be the first cat I've had since I was four. This does mean I'am not really sure how to deal with them as I'am far more confident with dogs but its still a kitten so hopefully he will get used to me. I will try to post pics when I get it. :)

My advice would be to avoid rough house play with your hands, however tempting it may be.  It'll come back and bite you in the ass when they're still trying to play rough when their teeth and claws have fully developed.  Always use toys.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: November 3, 2014, 03:33:14 am »
My advice would be to avoid rough house play with your hands, however tempting it may be.  It'll come back and bite you in the ass when they're still trying to play rough when their teeth and claws have fully developed.  Always use toys.

I can vouch for this piece of advise.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: November 3, 2014, 03:55:58 pm »
Help!

My kittens have decided to abandon their litter tray in favour of pooing in the living room. They were both using the tray fine, then the boy started weeing outside the tray next to it, then yesterday both of them pooed up in the same corner of the living room.

Why might this be and how can I deter them from doing this?