Author Topic: Headphones  (Read 80240 times)

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Headphones
« Reply #320 on: November 18, 2021, 09:43:02 am »
Are there many reasons to get the airpod pro's or standard airpods?
I think the Pros have ANC (Active Noise Cancellation) whereas the standards don't.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #321 on: November 18, 2021, 03:11:07 pm »

Pro's are IPX4 water and sweat resistant. They're also claimed to have a more immersive sound experience and slightly better audio call quality.  There's ~£100 difference at the moment between the gen 2's and pros, so not sure the pros are worth the extra.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: November 19, 2021, 08:57:20 am »
Pro's are IPX4 water and sweat resistant. They're also claimed to have a more immersive sound experience and slightly better audio call quality.  There's ~£100 difference at the moment between the gen 2's and pros, so not sure the pros are worth the extra.

the claims are true, they're much better. Thought you can get them for £170ish now?

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: November 19, 2021, 10:39:07 am »

I got the pro's (because iam a fanboy) and i am happy with them. £200 off amazon.
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline rothers

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #324 on: November 20, 2021, 04:22:48 pm »
Bought some AirPod pros from Curry’s last week and I’ve been really impressed.

I used their price match promise to get them for £140 as long as you can show them a UK based business showing the same product then they should price match. Having searched on Google I showed them what looked like a slightly dodgy site on my phone and  the manager approved the price.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: November 23, 2021, 09:46:03 am »

The AirPod pros actually sound good, the standard first and second gen AirPods are average sounding at best.  You can get a pair of Anker for a third of the price that sound better.

The pros genuinely sound good, not just compared to the standard pairs, but in general.  I haven’t tried the gen 3s, they’re supposed to sound much better than the first two though.  They’re about £40 more expensive, I’d rather pay that extra cash for a pair that don’t sound the same as the buds Apple used to give away for free.

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: November 23, 2021, 02:28:28 pm »
Bought some AirPod pros from Curry’s last week and I’ve been really impressed.

I used their price match promise to get them for £140 as long as you can show them a UK based business showing the same product then they should price match. Having searched on Google I showed them what looked like a slightly dodgy site on my phone and  the manager approved the price.

Which website - guna get my mum some for xmas so will give it a try.
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #328 on: November 23, 2021, 02:39:55 pm »
The AirPod pros actually sound good, the standard first and second gen AirPods are average sounding at best.  You can get a pair of Anker for a third of the price that sound better.

The pros genuinely sound good, not just compared to the standard pairs, but in general.  I haven’t tried the gen 3s, they’re supposed to sound much better than the first two though.  They’re about £40 more expensive, I’d rather pay that extra cash for a pair that don’t sound the same as the buds Apple used to give away for free.

Very good shout on Anker - I got some speakers over Lockdown 1.0 and being a cheapskate went Anker whilst one of my mates went for some big flashy set and mine were pound for pound better if not better overall.

On headphones, I've also found Taotronics to do a hell of a job, and have ordered some JBL earbuds today so will see if they match up to previous JBL experience

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #329 on: November 23, 2021, 02:46:50 pm »

I was about to get the gen 3 buds, but after a couple of people telling me that they're very uncomfortable I just went for some gen 2's.  Reading user reviews they do seem to be a very mixed bag when it comes to comfort.  I think if anyone is looking for gen 3 buds, you're best off just paying the extra for the pro's. 

Would like to get the pro's at some point, but to be honest I'm more than happy with the gen 2's, were nearly half the price of the pros at time of buying and they sound so much better than the old wired ones that you use to get for free, although the battery life could be better.  If you're not to bothered about having apple tech then a mate just got some cambridge audio ones, think they were about £90 on offer,  he said they sound better than the pros that his brother has, so if anyone isn't bothered about having the apple branding and wants the SQ of pros for a fraction of the price, then take a look at the CA Melomania buds.  Plus they have decent battery life unlike all of the apple ear buds.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #330 on: November 23, 2021, 03:15:34 pm »
The Huawei Freebuds Pro are an unbelievable set of wireless headphones and are on sale in a lot of places right now. Couldn't recommend them any more.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline rothers

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #331 on: November 24, 2021, 11:32:58 pm »
Which website - guna get my mum some for xmas so will give it a try.
I used a used a website with the word geek in the name for £150, but can’t find the site on Google now. Found another called dimprice which is UK based and selling new pros for £167 which is still decent if you get Curry’s to price match.

https://www.dimprice.co.uk/apple-airpods-pro-with-wireless-charging-case?language=en-gb&currency=GBP&gclid=CjwKCAiA4veMBhAMEiwAU4XRr5o_4W26lxbbUg3D275M2vNprGHbZEAIxHbGeRXXPuhneGDeFlF1PhoCT3cQAvD_BwE

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #332 on: March 8, 2022, 02:35:17 pm »
Anybody recommend an iPhone headset for zoom calls please, going back to the office next week & our landlines have gone. Would rather not go on speakerphone.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: March 8, 2022, 10:59:35 pm »
Picked up a set of lovely Austrian Audio headphones to add to my collection. Really comfortable and sound great. Using them to track audio. 

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: May 9, 2022, 07:38:41 am »
I see you can get the Sony WF-1000XM3's for under £100 now, which is an absolute steal.  Obviously I haven't tried every wireless buds on the market, but I've tried more than a few, the Sony's are the best I've used though.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #336 on: May 9, 2022, 08:32:49 am »
I just replaced those with some Audio Technica buds, which fit and sound better, but the Sony ones are fine yeah

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: May 21, 2022, 06:08:35 pm »
I just replaced those with some Audio Technica buds, which fit and sound better, but the Sony ones are fine yeah

Ath-anc300tw

https://www.audio-technica.com/en-gb/ath-anc300tw

They go inside the ear a bit, if you push the insert bit they're so well designed you can leg it and they stay in

That's what she said. I mean I don't even know how you all get music these days

https://www.ibroadcast.com/home/
Lets you upload your own rips then don't even check the source nobody cares

Android and IPhone apps

Nobody cares anymore perfect time to ditch the fucking algorithm I mean yeah maybe if you want to spend the rest of your life being told what to think.

You know this site lives up to its name

Maybe you are off music maybe that's it. Or maybe you come back fully loaded with every song you've ever fucking wanted and tell me my choice in headphones is shit

Well I made this post out of a genuine want to share. You don't have to fucking listen to what corporations sign you up for.

https://free-mp3-download.net/

.... I wouldn't even speak like this if I didn't trust yous.

/your local weirdo with a full time job family and friends and girlfriend

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #338 on: May 23, 2022, 06:23:31 am »
I got these three months ago WF-1000XM4 ...upgraded from Sony WF-1000XM3. They are remarkable... thought it was impossible to improve on the WF-1000XM3s, but Sony has managed to do just that. The WF-1000XM4s noise reduction and sound quality are amazing, to be honest.

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/sony-wf-1000xm4
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #339 on: May 23, 2022, 12:04:01 pm »
They just released the XM5 so the XM4 will drop in price you'd expect
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: May 23, 2022, 12:29:11 pm »
Are most of these headphones at least partially water proof? I've destroyed two sets of Bowers & Wilking overhead headphones after getting caught in the rain and wouldn't mind something small for walking the dogs or going to the gym.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: May 23, 2022, 12:52:46 pm »
Are most of these headphones at least partially water proof? I've destroyed two sets of Bowers & Wilking overhead headphones after getting caught in the rain and wouldn't mind something small for walking the dogs or going to the gym.

The XM4s are water-resistant rather than waterproof, so they'd probably be okay with splashes but I wouldn't fancy their chances in a storm or anything.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #342 on: May 24, 2022, 04:36:11 am »
They just released the XM5 so the XM4 will drop in price you'd expect

The XM5 is not related to the XM3 OR XM4.. the XM5 is a WH product (full size headphones)... WF series are earbuds mate
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #343 on: May 24, 2022, 06:46:42 am »
Ah I missed the WF. My bad
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: May 26, 2022, 08:47:29 am »
Rumours are that the WF mk5's will come out this year too, in fairness.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: May 27, 2022, 09:06:10 pm »
Ath-anc300tw

They have a few options including budget and unlike those Sonys they don't fall out when I run until I feel sick

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #346 on: June 3, 2022, 12:40:47 pm »
I recently bought a Sony WH-CH510 BT on-ear headsets. Lovely for everyday commute - an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. Battery life is supposed to be 30 hours but I have always charged them on the weekends. Comfortable on the ears and ambient noise on the public transport, does get filtered out about 80%. Reasonable if you ask me. Only con that I have about this is the calls - air noise gets a but too much on a windy day and annoys both me (the echo) and the person Im talking to. Price was 25 euros. Worth a shot if your everyday usage is 80% music and 20% calls preferably indoors.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #347 on: June 3, 2022, 01:05:39 pm »
Not sure if this is the thread for it but has anyone got or tried a portable dac/amp between headphones and their phone? I’ve been looking at the likes of the Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt and the Chord Mojo. Just wondering whether the difference is that big or even noticeable?
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline BOBSCOUSE

• Awestruck admirer of the families, YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: June 3, 2022, 01:47:35 pm »
Not sure if this is the thread for it but has anyone got or tried a portable dac/amp between headphones and their phone? I’ve been looking at the likes of the Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt and the Chord Mojo. Just wondering whether the difference is that big or even noticeable?

Totally different listening experience compared with using a mobile phone, based on using a Chord Mojo.  My son is massively into his audio and has a pretty immense collection of headphones, DAC/AMPs and portable music players.  He's given me the Mojo (which I regretfully don't use often enough due to work environment) and upgraded to a player identical to or similar to the Fiio X7 MK2 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0743H8SX1?linkCode=gs2&tag=tgz68-21

It's the Fiio M11+ he's got https://www.avshops.co.uk/products/fiio-m11-plus-ess

His recommendation to your suggested products is "neither".  Says to buy a BTR5 or Moondrop River 2 https://hifigo.com/products/moondrop-moon-river-2-moonriver2 which are cheaper than both, has more power, better quality and connectivity.  Both available from HifiGo and he says, while you're on there, check out Moondrop IEMs - they are superb  ;D.

He did say that whether you use wired or wireless headphones will obviously impact your choice but I think the two above cover you off either way.

I'll add again, he is massively into all this and researches far and wide - I can vouch for him that you will get best bang for your buck with the stuff he recommends.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2022, 03:04:56 pm by BOBSCOUSE »
JFT96
Here comes retribution motherfuckers!

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: June 4, 2022, 12:29:38 am »
Thanks Bob for the above, appreciate the recommendations, I’ll have a look at those.

As I understand it, you really need to have a wired connection to get the full benefits, as a Bluetooth connection limits the quality/bit rate, but happy to be set straight on that if it’s not the case?

Another thing, are these compatible with an iPhone as looking at some reviews they mention Android OS?

I have some Shure SE215 IEMs, the reviews I’ve looked at suggest the Moondrops have a more natural sound but aren’t as good at blocking out outside sounds?
« Last Edit: June 4, 2022, 12:46:53 am by duvva »

Offline BOBSCOUSE

• Awestruck admirer of the families, YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: June 4, 2022, 01:43:06 pm »
Bluetooth won't limit quality if using Spotify (their music files are lower bitrate as I understand) so zero difference but if you have Amazon High Definition sound (FLAC files) then there might be some limitation - chances you'd hear any difference (with Amazon) is pretty remote.

BTR5 can be wired or not, so you could try both to see the difference.  Sound blocking is down to using the right tips for fit in your ears, so buy best sound quality IEM's and find tips to fit you.

Moondrop river 2 is wired only so it'd be a case of getting the right wired connection to your iphone, from previously linked page "Replaceable Type-C Cable Interface:-
Moondrop Moonriver 2 has got Type-C connector cable interface. It allows the users to use any connector cable of their choice with a Type-C connector interface. The package with Moonriver 2 includes a Silver-Plated Type-C to Type-C connector cable for connection with Android devices and Windows systems. One can use it with Apple iOS devices too with a lightning connector(bought separately)."

JFT96
Here comes retribution motherfuckers!

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: June 4, 2022, 03:02:05 pm »
Bluetooth won't limit quality if using Spotify (their music files are lower bitrate as I understand) so zero difference but if you have Amazon High Definition sound (FLAC files) then there might be some limitation - chances you'd hear any difference (with Amazon) is pretty remote.

BTR5 can be wired or not, so you could try both to see the difference.  Sound blocking is down to using the right tips for fit in your ears, so buy best sound quality IEM's and find tips to fit you.

Moondrop river 2 is wired only so it'd be a case of getting the right wired connection to your iphone, from previously linked page "Replaceable Type-C Cable Interface:-
Moondrop Moonriver 2 has got Type-C connector cable interface. It allows the users to use any connector cable of their choice with a Type-C connector interface. The package with Moonriver 2 includes a Silver-Plated Type-C to Type-C connector cable for connection with Android devices and Windows systems. One can use it with Apple iOS devices too with a lightning connector(bought separately)."

I have Tidal so a lot of the music is Master Quality Audio, it’s the main reason I started looking into these dacs as with the files being higher quality I’m probably not getting that benefit without one.

I do like the look of that Fiio M11 Plus but not sure if I’m looking to spend that much. So may try the BTR5

You’ve also made me look at the IEMs and I quite like the look of the Moondrop Kato’s

Thanks for the suggestions

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: June 5, 2022, 12:15:49 pm »
I got these three months ago WF-1000XM4 ...upgraded from Sony WF-1000XM3. They are remarkable... thought it was impossible to improve on the WF-1000XM3s, but Sony has managed to do just that. The WF-1000XM4s noise reduction and sound quality are amazing, to be honest.

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/sony-wf-1000xm4

I had them, they're second rate IMO to

they don't fall out

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: June 6, 2022, 08:32:28 am »
How often do you guys switch headphones? Still yet to see something as beautiful and durable as my dear Sennheiser Momentum 2

https://no-no.sennheiser.com/momentum-m2
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: June 7, 2022, 08:33:19 am »
Sennheiser are a respectable brand

When I was producing the album this last year plus I was using my Audio Technica cans and comparing to my fairly decent vinyl setup (the speakers can do Bluetooth)

Plus I have all my own collection in FLAC streaming through the I broadcast app

The Sonys sounded flatter and one dimensional. I've tried three different types of headphone to get and I don't think compromise should be put up with

This is the last year for me. I've been chasing sound without compromise

Audio Technica are my go-to brand. Melt in front of the TV,  or run to the woods and sit in the middle.

So apologies if I sound repetitive in this thread. It has been my life in a serious way for a while and now I've found my brand
I'VE BECOME A SALESMAN AAAAA

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: June 7, 2022, 08:54:28 am »
How often do you guys switch headphones? Still yet to see something as beautiful and durable as my dear Sennheiser Momentum 2

Earphones/buds perhaps every two years, Headphones perhaps every four.  I bought the Sennheiser HD660s last year and barring damage they'll last me a while.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: June 8, 2022, 07:05:31 am »

Think I have reached the level where I'm not going to replace my current headphones, I have got some HD650's and just can't see myself appreciating anything in higher price bands enough for them to be worth the change. I might end up getting some wireless headphones with ANC at some point in the future, but as I stick with iems for commuting there's no rush there.

It has been a while since I have spent a lot on iems, they are just easier to lose or break, so I tend to go for stuff in that £30-50 range where you are getting something decent, but I probably listen to audiobooks more than music on my commutes so my focus is as much on the comfort and isolation of the iems as the audio quality. I do also have some Cambridge audio melomania 1+'s as well, no anc, but good isolation, comfort and audio quality from them and crucially they sell foam tips for them that actually fit properly in the charging case without them costing the silly money that comply charge for theirs.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: June 9, 2022, 04:18:48 pm »

Still using my five year old DT770's. Don't think I need anything else now. It would be a disaster if I got on that headphone collecting train, I'm very bad at addictions.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: December 28, 2022, 01:00:44 pm »
Set up my uncles AirPod pro’s 2nd gen yesterday. I was massively impressed so got some for myself. Arriving on Saturday, can’t wait.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: December 28, 2022, 03:51:55 pm »
Set up my uncles AirPod pro’s 2nd gen yesterday. I was massively impressed so got some for myself. Arriving on Saturday, can’t wait.

AirPods get a bad rap, but the Pros sound genuinely good, I’ve never been overly impressed with the 1st and 2nd gen standard ones though.