Author Topic: Stevo7's Gävle Goat Watch, ft. 2023's Bird Watcher, Barneys Daughter  (Read 257535 times)

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
Seasons greetings, Its that time of year...........

You have probably never heard of the Gävle Goat but between now and new year I hope you will keep an eye on him and see that he comes to no harm

The Gävle Goat (known in Swedish as the Julbocken i Gävle or Gävlebocken) is a giant version of a traditional Swedish Yule Goat figure made of straw that is located at Slottstorget ("Castle Square") in central Gävle. It is erected each year by a local association called the Southern Merchants, and another version is erected by a group of students from the Natural Science Club of the School of Vasa. The Natural Science Club's goat holds the world record for the largest Yule Goat, but since 1994 the Southern Merchants' goats have been larger and had more publicity afforded them. Both goats have famously been the targets of frequent arson attacks and vandalism, so much so that over the years they have been guarded by the police, webcams, soldiers, volunteers and dogs; whilst the city officially discourages the attacks on the goats, those attacks have brought it recognition and tourism from around the world.

History of the Goat

History

In 1967 the goat was left unmolested.

In 1968 the goat was again left unmolested.

In 1969 the goat was burned on New Year's Eve.

In 1970 the first goat burned six hours after it was erected. Two heavily intoxicated youths were tied to the crime. With contributions from several donors, the goat was rebuilt, this time of reeds.

In 1971 the local merchants who had previously built the goat abandoned the project, tired of seeing it burn each year. The science association at the Vasaskolan upper secondary school took over. Their little goat was broken to pieces.

In 1972 the goat collapsed due to sabotage.

In 1973 the goat's fate is unknown.

In 1974 the goat burned down.

In 1975 the goat's fate is unknown.

In 1976 a car crashed into the goat.

In 1977 the goat's fate is unknown.

In 1978 the goat was broken to pieces again.

In 1979 the goat was burned before it was even put together. A new one was built and treated with fire-proofing, but was later sabotaged and broken to pieces.

In 1980 the goat burned down on Christmas Eve.

In 1981 the goat was spared.

In 1982 the goat burned down on St. Lucia Day, 13 December.

In 1983 the goat's legs were broken off.

In 1984 the goat burned down on St. Lucia Eve.

In 1985 the 12.5-metre high goat first made the Guinness Book of World Records. Burned down in January.

In 1986 the local merchants took over building the goat again. From this date on, two goats are built each year, one by the merchants and one by Vasaskolan. The big goat was burned down the night before Christmas Eve.

In 1987 the goat was carefully treated with fire-proofing. It still burned down the week before Christmas.

In 1988 the goat was spared. Its survival was now included on British betting lists.

In 1989 the goat burned down before it was even built. A public collection was taken up and a new goat was built, which burned down in January. In March 1990 another goat was built for the premiere of the film "Black Jack".

In 1990 the goat was spared. Many volunteers guarded it.

In 1991 the goat was accompanied by an advertising sleigh - which turned out to be an unauthorised construction. It burned on Christmas Eve morning. It was rebuilt to be sent to Stockholm in a campaign to stop the closing of the I 14 regiment.

In 1992 the goat burned after eight days. The Vasaskolan goat burned the same night. It was built again, but burned again on 20 December. The starter of all three fires was arrested.

In 1993 the Vasaskolan goat made the Guinness Book of World Records, measuring 16 metres high. It was spared this year.

In 1994 the goat was spared.

In 1995 the goat burned down on Christmas Day morning. It was rebuilt for the town's 550th anniversary.

In 1996 the goat survived. For the first time it was monitored by a web camera.

In 1997 the goat survived with minimal damage by fireworks.

In 1998 the goat burned on 11 December, despite a snowstorm. It was built again.

In 1999 the goat burned a few hours after being built. A new one was in place for St. Lucia Day.

In 2000 the goat burned a few days before New Year's. In 2001 the goat burned on 23 December. The starter of the fire, a 51-year-old man from USA, was arrested.

In 2002 the goat survived.

In 2003 the goat burned down two nights before St. Lucia Eve. A new goat was in place about a week later and it survived in one piece.

In 2004 the goat burned down on 21 December, three days before Christmas. The goat was not rebuilt.

In 2005 the goat burned down on 3 December. A new goat was in place on 8 december and managed to survive.

In 2006 the goat survived a pyromaniac attack on December 15th. It was minor burned on its right leg. After that the goat survived in one piece.

In 2007 The goat was impregnated with flame retardant chemicals and was not attacked by arsonists.

In 2008 was the goat not impregnated with flame retardant chemicals. The straw was delivered by Mackmyra Whiskey and the goat was burned down on 27 December.

http://www.merjuligavle.se/English/VISIT-GAVLE/THE-CHRISTMAS-GOAT/Web-cam/

http://www.merjuligavle.se/English/VISIT-GAVLE/THE-CHRISTMAS-GOAT/Web-cam-2/

Imagine my shock last year when I logged on and saw a black skeleton of the Goat! :'(

This thread is for people to report any suspicious activity or even better someone may actually be lucky enough to witness history in the making when the goat is either beaten to death or set on fire

:wave

« Last Edit: January 2, 2024, 10:29:05 am by djphal »

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
Re: Gavle Goat Watch
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 11:46:15 am »
The Wicker Goat.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 11:46:31 am »
Bonkers. Absolutely bonkers.
Legacy fan

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 11:48:07 am »
you know its xmas when the goat is erected!

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 12:03:04 pm »
you know its xmas when the goat is erect!

:-X

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 12:10:18 pm »
:-X

you are a sick man!!

all quiet in Gavle at the moment

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 12:27:59 pm »
all quiet in Gavle at the moment
This year I live under an hour away. Goatboy has fire. Hur hur hur. Be afraid.  :nirnir

Offline Callaghan.

• Enjoys a roasted nut (preferably the 'TonyTheRedNosedReindeer' variety)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 12:37:34 pm »
I kid you not, vandals really get my ...

OK, I'll butt out of this thread now (get my, er ... coat).

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 12:41:37 pm »
In 1973 the goat's fate is unknown.

I can't help but feel disappointed that this vital piece of history has been lost.
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline Batukop

• needy little fucker
  • Anny Roader
  • Pure Shores
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 01:09:15 pm »
That's fucking sexy. I'd shag that all night long.
"You may have found me mean and thirsty in my search for trophies, but the bad news is the man who is taking my place is hungrier than me. Fagan's the name and I don't think he'll need any help from the Artful Dodger!" Bob Paisley on Joe Fagan.

Shear me. Shear my ass. Make me naked.

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 01:30:40 pm »
This year I live under an hour away. Goatboy has fire. Hur hur hur. Be afraid.  :nirnir

you leave him alone!!

this is my favorite

In 1970 the first goat burned six hours after it was erected. Two heavily intoxicated youths were tied to the crime. With contributions from several donors, the goat was rebuilt, this time of reeds.

Offline Alphaville

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lucas Lover
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 02:46:50 pm »
The Wicker Goat.
In 2009, the goat survived fires and vandalism, only to be destroyed by the Wicker Man.

Check out my friend's band Fevers and their new EP (free to download): http://fevers.bandcamp.com/

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 02:56:52 pm »
In 1977 no one died...
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 04:00:33 pm »
I hope you are all keeping checks on the goat

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 04:15:22 pm »
I hope you are all throwing flaming rags on the goat
Corrected ;)

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 04:15:42 pm »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 04:22:58 pm »

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 04:26:06 pm »

Offline Voni

• One from the top please Carol
  • Legacy Fan
  • Actively Apathetic
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 04:28:08 pm »
Can i get a 4.30pm goat update?

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 02:16:55 am »
Can i get a 4.30pm goat update?

you can get an update whenever you like using these webcams

http://www.merjuligavle.se/English/VISIT-GAVLE/THE-CHRISTMAS-GOAT/Web-cam/

I can confirm at 2:15 the goat is alive and well, im off to bed, I trust those of you still awake to keep an eye on him

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2009, 08:31:22 am »
Lets hope it doesn't fall over dj ya nut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we9_CdNPuJg
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 02:33:03 pm by John C »

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 02:32:36 am »
Lets hope it doesn't fall over dj ya nut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we9_CdNPuJg

I hope it doesnt!

all is well at 2:32

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2009, 09:07:38 pm »
no one seems interested in the goal but just in case you are worried, the goat is still going strong at the moment

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 09:23:31 pm »
no one seems interested in the goal but just in case you are worried, the goat is still going strong at the moment
Snow is forecast. Get your petrol bombs in now lads before it gets too wet for them to take effect ;) :P

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2009, 12:02:47 am »
Snow is forecast. Get your petrol bombs in now lads before it gets too wet for them to take effect ;) :P

im on to you

im going to report you to the goat police

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 10:47:37 am »
What happens if the goat survives until after the holidays? Do they dismantle it or burn it anyway?
Legacy fan

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2009, 10:49:34 am »
im on to you

im going to report you to the goat police
I am GoatBoy, trying to protect my GoatDisciples from false idols :) Anyway - it's already snowed - your goat is safe ;)

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 11:54:26 am »
I am GoatBoy, trying to protect my GoatDisciples from false idols :) Anyway - it's already snowed - your goat is safe ;)

its never safe!!

What happens if the goat survives until after the holidays? Do they dismantle it or burn it anyway?

they take it down and use it next year!

Offline Voni

• Legacy Fan
  • Actively Apathetic
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 12:06:20 pm »
So far so good

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 12:18:24 pm »

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2009, 12:18:49 pm »
its fucking snowing!!!!

Offline Voni

• Legacy Fan
  • Actively Apathetic
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2009, 12:21:35 pm »
its fucking snowing!!!!

It's so Christmassy.  Very Jealous.

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2009, 12:40:05 pm »
It's so Christmassy.  Very Jealous.

looks great doesnt it

Offline Voni

• Legacy Fan
  • Actively Apathetic
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2009, 12:44:00 pm »
I like snow now.  I can cope with it now that I've bought central heating oil for the first time in 3 years. So... bring on the Wall snow

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2009, 01:16:51 pm »
I like snow now.  I can cope with it now that I've bought central heating oil for the first time in 3 years. So... bring on the Wall snow
Over 6 inches of it here overnight. An hour south of Gävle. My plan now needs to change from an infantry-style raid on The Goat to something a bit, well, heavier.

I've borrowed a Challenger tank from BIGDavalad (well connected, he is) and we've retrofitted a flamethrower on to the cannon.

Gävle - here we come ;D

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2009, 02:35:08 pm »
Sorry to here about this djphal,

Festive goat up in flames again

A giant straw goat erected each Christmas in a northern Swedish town has been burned down - yet again.

The 13m-high (43ft) animal in Gavle has been torched 23 times since it was first erected in 1966. It has also been hit by a car and had its legs cut off.

The vandals are rarely caught, though in 2001 a 51-year-old American tourist spent 18 days in jail after being convicted of setting it alight.

In 2007, the goat managed to make it through the festive season unscathed, but 2009 has proved to be not so lucky.

Goat committee spokeswoman Anna Ostman said this year's unlucky creature was set on fire as darkness fell on Tuesday evening.

The 7m-long (23ft), three tonne goat was originally designed to attract tourists to Gavle, which is 106 miles (170km) north of the Swedish capital.

But in its first year it was burned down on New Year's Eve and since then has been attacked regularly.

In 2005, it was torched by two arsonists dressed as Father Christmas and the Gingerbread Man.

Authorities in Gavle have tried to protect the goat using fireproofing chemicals, security guards and a web camera.

But just 10 of the goats, which are built in the town's central square, have survived beyond Christmas since 1966.

Goats have a special place in Swedish tradition. According to folklore, they delivered festive gifts before Father Christmas took over.

Police are keen to speak to a man described by locals as "strange looking" who was seen fleeing the area in a heavily armoured vehicle with a flame throwing device attached. An onlooker stated that he overheard the goat cooker shouting "how do you like that DJ Phil"  or something similar as he made good his escape.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7801156.stm
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline electricghost

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2009, 03:09:54 pm »
Panic over - that was last year!!!!

No it wasn't

In 2007, the goat managed to make it through the festive season unscathed, but 2009 has proved to be not so lucky.

― Steven Weinberg

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2009, 03:12:39 pm »
Sorry to here about this djphal,

that was last year!!

check out this webcam

its safe and covered in snow!!

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2009, 03:15:09 pm »
No it wasn't

Page last updated at 13:15 GMT, Saturday, 27 December 2008

Offline electricghost

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2009, 03:16:22 pm »
Page last updated at 13:15 GMT, Saturday, 27 December 2008

How worried were you ? :P
― Steven Weinberg