Author Topic: The Metal thread. Show your horns!  (Read 181896 times)

Offline henrydk

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
The Metal thread. Show your horns!
« on: July 10, 2009, 09:58:33 pm »
I could'nt find a heavy metal thread, so let give it a go.

Are there any metalheads out there?

I just got a tickets for one of Metallicas gigs in Forum, Copenhagen on the 22. July. Lamb Of God and Mastodon are the warmups. This is gonna be mental! I just saw Hatebreed and Warbringer two weeks ago and what a show (i think). I was on the ground for the most of the time. It was 30 celcius outside, so the cold pints were just flying in.

I went to a Hatesphere concert in april and it was f******* mayhem! They just released a new album (To The Nines) and its brilliant.
They made one of the most disturbing videos i've ever seen, but damnit! It's good!

Here's a link: As i wrote, this video is pretty bad. If you don't like blood, then you should'nt click on the link. But the song is amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=channel_page&v=DDCLr-32Whk

And i'm probably the only one here, who have seen Soulfly without Max Cavalera!  ;D

\m/
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 09:58:22 pm by The 5th Brenitle »

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
Re: The metal thread. Show your horns!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 10:02:45 pm »
Ok.

Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline henrydk

• Main Stander
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 10:04:17 pm »
Oh, i knew it would come! :D

Offline fowlerisgod96

• Legacy Fan
  • The Monster Masch
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 10:09:23 pm »

Change this to the goat thread, much more interesting than 'metal'.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us."

Offline MARKEDEN77

• Main Stander
  • Breath in these cities of red and gold.
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 10:10:55 pm »
My band entered a compition a few years ago on scuzz tv, where Max and Benji were judging, they marked us down for recording at Rockfield studios in wales where sepultura, queen and oasis recorded (we got in there thru a friend)

Benji then set fire to our CD on TV, to be fair max looked a bit uneasy about it.

Used to love them but not so much any more.

More into Cult of Luna, hatebreed and Kingdom of sorrow these days
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-mLuQhf4mc

Offline MARKEDEN77

• Main Stander
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 10:15:23 pm »

Offline henrydk

• Main Stander
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 10:19:52 pm »
We've got a place here in Odense that's called Kansas City. It's all about metal. I remember a concert with Entombed and the good old danish trash metal band Artillery. Big fan of Entombed. Those dark and deep riffs are fantastic. I was almost shitting my pants. I just bought Serpent Saints on vinyl and its a great album. Swedish death metal all the way!

Offline MARKEDEN77

• Main Stander
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 10:25:47 pm »
Fear factory, Pantera, Machine Head back in the day were amazing, remember seeing fear Factory in Bristol Beir keller in about 1995 on the start of their demanufacture album, great days.

Everyone involved in metal was really friendly back then, not so much any more.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 02:16:50 am »
Spent most of the last day listening to Kreator's Coma of Souls and Extreme Aggression, Annihilator's Alice in Hell and Never, Neverland, and Slayer's Reign in Blood and South of Heaven.

Man this shit was at it's peak back them. Between '86 and '92 you've got those albums, you've got the best Megadeth and Testament albums, you've got Pantera's first couple of albums, Exhorder, Death...

*grumble*
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Slave

• shit joker - shit vicki vale too
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mmm, angel cake.
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 02:34:35 am »
Never understood the appeal. I mean what's with all the death, blood, hell and terror... roar. Is it ironic or what? Cos' no-one's that pissed off.

I'm not disputing the musicality, but what's with the attitude? Could someone explain it to me.
It is most odd.

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 03:13:30 am »
Jeff Waters has proven beyond all reasonable doubt that he is the coolest fucker ever to step foot on the face of the planet.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 05:51:54 am »
Jeff Waters has proven beyond all reasonable doubt that he is the coolest fucker ever to step foot on the face of the planet.

One of my all time hero's on the guitar is Jeff and he's a fucking nutter. Shame about the last couple of Annihilator albums as I love the early stuff. Alice in Hell is a corker.

Metal eh, well yes I do love it. But i'm pretty selective with it. There's a great deal wrong with metal these days, 1) it's too fucking commercial. You see and hear some of the utter fucking tripe that gets passed on as "metal" these days and it's just not. I for one cannot wait for the new "dj hero" to be released on the consoles so guitar hero and the media infatuation with heavy metal being "cool" to die a fucking death.

Never understood the appeal. I mean what's with all the death, blood, hell and terror... roar. Is it ironic or what? Cos' no-one's that pissed off.

I'm not disputing the musicality, but what's with the attitude? Could someone explain it to me.

All depends Dodgy, depends on the person who's listening and recording. Some of it's ironic, some of it's comical and knows it's comical, some of it's fucking hideous. When Black Sabbath started making their music (someone correct me if i'm wrong here, i'm always wasted when I watch anything to do with the Sabs) Ozzy said that they got together and went "People pay to go to the movies and watch horror, to be shocked and scared. Let's make music to scare people" or words to that effect. And it's just evolved from there.

There's musicianship and intelligence that people just would not believe in metal, especially in some of the more extreme varieties (which I do partake in a lot). Actually not especially, that sounds elitist, but you know what I mean. The general public have been brainwashed so intently into believing that if someone does some roaring that they sound like the cookie monster and are satanic and nothing is farther from the truth. Also the "aren't you a bit old to listen to this stuff" attitude of some people who have no idea about metal really pisses me off

Also, being a guitarist and a vocalist doing death and black metal for over a decade I can honestly say that you can stick all other forms of "therapy" up your arse. Nothing beats grabbing a guitar with my mates and screaming my lungs out for an hour whilst playing some very fucking heavy music. Nothing. Gets all of the shit out of your system then it's off to the pub for a pint and all's good with the world.

Oh and to the OP. Hope you enjoy the gig. Mastodon will blow everyone away :wave

edit: Just to prove how much metal is loved in my house, as I'm typing the missus has just turned on Rust in Peace by Megadeth while she cooks me dinner ;D Life is good in a metal world!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 05:56:58 am by Red_Isle_Chap »
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 07:21:07 am »

Is that the guy who plays with Annihilator with a Justice shirt on ?
If so, really cool, good guy !

Offline Sami

• vaguely scandinavian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kome on pool!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 09:41:19 am »
Even though I do listen to other too than metal, have to say that Metal music is the most important to me. Danzig, Slayer, Sentenced, Megadeth, Mercyfull Fate, Impaled Nazarene, Satyricon the list could go on and on. There is something about old'ish trash that I really like, Sodom, Kreator, Testament, Metallica's Kill Em All, Megadeth, Slayer.. You'll never get bored out of that. Loads of great metal bands out there, too many to mention to be honest. And every now and then you might find someone new, but have to say that these newer bands hardly every make the same impression than the bit older ones have done.
4-4-2 Sucks

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 10:44:23 am »
I could'nt find a heavy metal thread, so let give it a go.

You need to put in a search for 'heavy metal' using all the letters and in their original sequence to have any joy. When you do that, you will have a great chance in finding a thread on here called, wait for it...  'Heavy Metal.'

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=181978.0

;)

Offline NineTails20

• Solomon's "Mrs Robinson".
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 11:18:42 am »

Will these horns do?
From his stupid, ugly, pug-faced, smarmy, poncing, play-acting, Oh-look-at-me greasy hair to his crybaby, stupid, cheating, dirty antics he can fuck off the horrible little poodle faced gazumpadum.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 11:31:46 am »
Somes I likes, somes I hates. There's no real rhyme or reason to my selections really, I just judge each band / album / song as it comes.
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline eitzel

• ong way to Tipperary
  • Legacy Fan
  • Didnt even know Probe had moved
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 11:45:32 am »
Fudge Tunnel, Pitchshifter, Godflesh, Unsane, Big Black, Deftones.
'An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. '

Offline MARKEDEN77

• Main Stander
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 12:54:30 pm »
Also, being a guitarist and a vocalist doing death and black metal for over a decade I can honestly say that you can stick all other forms of "therapy" up your arse. Nothing beats grabbing a guitar with my mates and screaming my lungs out for an hour whilst playing some very fucking heavy music. Nothing. Gets all of the shit out of your system then it's off to the pub for a pint and all's good with the world.

I gotta have a weekly fix of band practice, after a shit week at work, getting there turning up and shouting my face off about everything that's wrong with the world, nothing better!!!!!

Offline Andy2006

• Legacy Fan
  • Telephone!
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 01:28:53 pm »
Too scary for me to be honest.

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 08:23:40 pm »
Is that the guy who plays with Annihilator with a Justice shirt on ?
If so, really cool, good guy !

That's him. I'm ashamed to say that I had no idea 'til yesterday that he had anything to do with the HJC. They're on the website though...

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/annihilator.shtm

Anyone know how they got involved in the first place?

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2009, 12:42:55 am »
That's him. I'm ashamed to say that I had no idea 'til yesterday that he had anything to do with the HJC. They're on the website though...

I had no idea!! Fucking fair play. I'm going to have to register on their forums as there's an "Ask Jeff" section and try and find out how they got involved.

Time to listen to nothing but Annihilator for days....
Gratitude

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 01:18:47 am »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline henrydk

• Main Stander
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 05:26:02 pm »
Yep, just got my Amon Amarth ticket. Viking metal!

I recieved a package yesterday and it was the famous Gorgoroth concert from Krakow! See, that's a show!

Offline Sami

• vaguely scandinavian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kome on pool!!!
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 05:30:06 pm »
Yep, just got my Amon Amarth ticket. Viking metal!

I recieved a package yesterday and it was the famous Gorgoroth concert from Krakow! See, that's a show!

Amon Amarth was bloody great when I saw them bit over year ago I think. They supported Dimmu Borgir and were really the better band that night
4-4-2 Sucks

Offline henrydk

• Main Stander
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 05:37:21 pm »
Great. Looking forward to it.

I've got a good friend who sold me around 80 records a month a go. 40 of them are Maiden and around 20 is Metallica. Albums, singles and other crazy things. A good day to be me.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2009, 06:50:37 am »
Amon Amarth was bloody great when I saw them bit over year ago I think. They supported Dimmu Borgir and were really the better band that night
Amon are a far better band, less pompous and much, much better live for me, and I actually like a lot of Dimmu's stuff

Was that the one with the naked birds on crosses? Didn't they get in a lot of shit over that show (like they do most places where they go lol) See, Gorgoroth are a weird one for me, I find that their music just isn't as good as a lot of other bands of the same style, but they do very well in getting the PR, doesn't matter if it's bad, they're normally in the black metal media in one shape or form, which is fair play. Oh and Gaahl is a bit of legend to be fair.
Gratitude

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2009, 08:22:38 am »

Soilwork are pretty sweet as well.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2009, 09:44:40 am »
Simply adore MASTODON these days.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2009, 10:29:40 am »
tenacious D!
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline henrydk

• Main Stander
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2009, 12:58:30 pm »
Amon are a far better band, less pompous and much, much better live for me, and I actually like a lot of Dimmu's stuffWas that the one with the naked birds on crosses? Didn't they get in a lot of shit over that show (like they do most places where they go lol) See, Gorgoroth are a weird one for me, I find that their music just isn't as good as a lot of other bands of the same style, but they do very well in getting the PR, doesn't matter if it's bad, they're normally in the black metal media in one shape or form, which is fair play. Oh and Gaahl is a bit of legend to be fair.

There was a lot of controversy. I don't know if it was the sheep heads on stakes, "crucified" nude models, satanic symbols, 80 litres of sheep's blood or just a mix of those "simple" things that made people talk?

Have you seen the documentary about Gaahl? I would have pissed my pants if i had to interview that guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4U33U_UyzQ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgoroth

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2009, 10:34:06 pm »
There was a lot of controversy. I don't know if it was the sheep heads on stakes, "crucified" nude models, satanic symbols, 80 litres of sheep's blood or just a mix of those "simple" things that made people talk?

Have you seen the documentary about Gaahl? I would have pissed my pants if i had to interview that guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4U33U_UyzQ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgoroth
I think it was the whole "crimes against religion" or something similar, it was law they broke in Poland wasn't it? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Haha yeah I've seen it. Did you mean pissed yourseld laughing or scared, cos lets face it, he loves his persona. I bet he still loves his mum. This is the thing with a lot of black metal, it's all for show, and I have to say, I do prefer it when people don't take themselves too seriously. I went and saw Immortal way back when Sons of Northern Darkness came out. Not only were they a) Devastating live, b) dressed like utter loons but c) They had such a laugh on stage with themselves and the crowd. While i've massively enjoyed the more serious bands, they're not the ones that stick in my mind as much as the ones that simple have a good time.

Then again, people who are fans of just one genre tend to fall into what the genres are like. Lots of black metal bands have whined in interviews at the fans just standing there and not really moving. Same with a lot of Doom, I remember several people giving me and a friend of mine shit many moons ago because we got drunk, headbanged and generally had a great time at a gig involving Electric Wizard and Cathedral. Everyone else there was doom fans and apparantly that sort of behaviour wasn't acceptable. Made me laugh even more ;D
Gratitude

Offline henrydk

• Main Stander
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2009, 10:34:47 pm »
Just out of curiosity, what do people thing of the new Metallica album? In my opinion, it's there best work since ...And Justice For All. Glad to her Lars actually have to hard behind the drums again.

Concert this next wednesday. All of my Metallica and Lamb Of God cd's and records are lying everywhere and my stereo is bleeding (more than usual).

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2009, 10:38:11 pm »
Just out of curiosity, what do people thing of the new Metallica album? In my opinion, it's there best work since ...And Justice For All. Glad to her Lars actually have to hard behind the drums again.

Concert this next wednesday. All of my Metallica and Lamb Of God cd's and records are lying everywhere and my stereo is bleeding (more than usual).
Can't stand it mate, to be honest. While it's better than St Rubbish, there's only one way to sum up that album, and it was done a lot better than me on another thread. Metallica are just making music for video games now. It's bog standard, middle of the road tripe and if it wasn't them, it wouldn't be a seller in the market today.

Honestly much prefer load and reload, and they were crap as well. No good metallica after the black album, but really, all you need is Kill em all, Ride the Lightening and Master of Puppets. I do really like and justice, but it's not in the same class (apart from one).

*gets off soapbox
Gratitude

Offline henrydk

• Main Stander
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2009, 10:45:53 pm »
I think it was the whole "crimes against religion" or something similar, it was law they broke in Poland wasn't it? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Ha ha, mate! I was being ironic! But i don't know the consequences. But you should buy the DVD. I have never seen anything like that (surprise). I bought mine at Play.com.

Ha ha yeah I've seen it. Did you mean pissed yourself laughing or scared, cos lets face it, he loves his persona. I bet he still loves his mum.

If Gaahl sat right in front of me, not answering my question, and you could see the vain in his forehead was getting bigger by the second, then i would have... Hmmm, i could probably be chased down the Norwegian fells!

Offline henrydk

• Main Stander
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2009, 10:48:35 pm »
S&M is by far the greatest Metallica album ever...................... Rubbish! What the h*** we're they thinking?

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2009, 10:57:05 pm »
Honestly much prefer load and reload, and they were crap as well. No good metallica after the black album, but really, all you need is Kill em all, Ride the Lightening and Master of Puppets.

They should have stopped after those 3. Absolute classics which they never again reached the level of.
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline miss_heather

• hit_gorse
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nerd.
    • Twitter
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2009, 10:59:46 pm »

Wow! I saw Annihilator play live when they were supports acts for Trivium in Liverpool Uni ages ago. Great Set!

Offline NineTails20

• Solomon's "Mrs Robinson".
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2009, 11:16:15 pm »
Best Metallica album ever?

Master Of Puppets, no ifs, ands or fucking buts. Amazing, from 'Battery' right through to 'Damage Inc.'.
From his stupid, ugly, pug-faced, smarmy, poncing, play-acting, Oh-look-at-me greasy hair to his crybaby, stupid, cheating, dirty antics he can fuck off the horrible little poodle faced gazumpadum.

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2009, 12:38:08 am »
Best Metallica album ever?

Syphilis is by far my favourite sexual disease. And yeah, I'd rather be arse-fucked by Jeffrey Dahmer than Albert Fish.

... Oh sorry, are we not choosing between a rock and a hard place? My mistake. .. It's a hard place, by the way.

They should have stopped after those 3. Absolute classics which they never again reached the level of.

If they'd have stopped after those 3 then they wouldn't have got Justice, which is my favourite of the lot. Though, like all Metallica albums, it has the big draw back of Lars Ulrich on Drums and Kirk "tries really hard" Hammett. God, imagine how good they would have been with lead guitarists and drummers that were half as good as their contemporaries?

Anyways, I currently have this beauty of a song on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbR3fgcJacE&feature=related

Cracking album.