Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12300372 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #101600 on: June 18, 2020, 03:52:00 pm »
I love that the Pilling video has been put together by someone in his family.  It's really difficult to judge players at that age but he looks a proper prospect.

I hope it's endemic throughout our set up, but my favourite part of that video is how he moves the ball promptly and doesn't hog it unnecessarily. That was also one of the most enjoyable aspects of the Shrewsbury game.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101601 on: June 18, 2020, 04:23:25 pm »
Isaac Mabaya for me. ;)
Yes his name does appear to be the pick of the crop.  Not sure he’s old enough to ‘qualify’ for the U18s for the next season.  That is, he might play up but might be too young to be listed on the website is his 16th is not before 1 September. 

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101602 on: June 18, 2020, 04:29:18 pm »
Yes his name does appear to be the pick of the crop.  Not sure he’s old enough to ‘qualify’ for the U18s for the next season.  That is, he might play up but might be too young to be listed on the website is his 16th is not before 1 September. 

He's 15 and played for the under 18's already.

Online CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101603 on: June 18, 2020, 04:43:53 pm »
There is actually a youtube piece on Tommy Pilling, he is so small compared to the others but quite a finisher loves lobbing the ball that's for sure.  :D

https://youtu.be/sAFxuNUnt0I

Not to undermine his no doubt excellent talent, but it is a bit easier to lob someone when they can't reach the cross-bar   :D
shut up clown. Naby Keita can buy your life and throw it away.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101604 on: June 18, 2020, 05:43:28 pm »
He's 15 and played for the under 18's already.

Sorry I missed your earlier post.  I hadn’t actually seen his name mentioned in connection with the U18s and thought I watched most matches, at least where LFC post the highlights or they are shown online.  Excellent that he’s already there.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #101605 on: June 18, 2020, 05:45:26 pm »
Not to undermine his no doubt excellent talent, but it is a bit easier to lob someone when they can't reach the cross-bar   :D

I guess that is a fair point. I've always had a soft spot for lobs though.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline gaztop08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101606 on: June 18, 2020, 06:09:54 pm »
There is actually a youtube piece on Tommy Pilling, he is so small compared to the others but quite a finisher loves lobbing the ball that's for sure.  :D

https://youtu.be/sAFxuNUnt0I

Good video,hope he can take that to senior level

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101607 on: June 18, 2020, 07:02:03 pm »
Thanks for all the info about the youth sides everyone. I hardly ever get to watch any of their games these days, so it's nice that you keep us in the loop. Also nice that the standard of the academy sides seems to be getting gradually better. City and Chelsea seem to have had the best academies in the country for the last few years and we've lagged behind a bit. Do you think we're coming close to catching them up?
Something that has been clear to me watching the various youth competitions for a few years is that city and Chelsea have emphasized physical qualities in their setups. There have been matches that literally looked like dads vs lads when our academy sides have played against them- some absolute units in their systems.

I think now we have massively closed the overall gap though. We’ve really streamlined operations and each of our academy sides are working with a clear vision that’s tied to klopp and the first team. Our kids are dynamic pressers, unselfish on the ball and positionally flexible.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101608 on: June 20, 2020, 08:58:16 am »
Although Jürgen said yesterday that they’re all in contention, I don’t think Curtis is.  I could see him in the photos or short training video yesterday.  Hopefully nothing serious and he can play his part in the end so season run in.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #101609 on: June 20, 2020, 09:59:02 am »
Just because you don't see someone in photos or videos doesn't mean they're unavailable, especially when the manager has said everyone is in contention.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #101610 on: June 24, 2020, 04:01:06 pm »
It seems Curtis is out at the moment which is a pity as he might have a chance of minutes.  No journo seems to have asked at the press conferences how long he will be out for

Offline Floop

• Main Stander
« Reply #101611 on: June 24, 2020, 07:20:42 pm »
It seems Curtis is out at the moment which is a pity as he might have a chance of minutes.  No journo seems to have asked at the press conferences how long he will be out for

No idea what kept him out the derby, but he's on the bench tonight so clearly he's over it.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #101612 on: June 24, 2020, 08:02:45 pm »
No idea what kept him out the derby, but he's on the bench tonight so clearly he's over it.

Good to see

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101613 on: June 25, 2020, 03:29:25 am »
Bit of an under-the-radar player at the moment, Neco Williams. I have a sneaky feeling he's really good.

This right here is what the youth/reserve thread is all about.

Getting to watch players at age 16 before you really hear about them and sometimes, as in the case of Neco, you just get a sense "hang on a minute, this lad is really good" when you see them in action.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #101614 on: June 25, 2020, 10:51:38 am »
Neco was great last night. That through ball for Salah right at the end.

If Klopp is confident of playing him at left back he could get a few games towards the end of the season and maybe a lot more next season. Think he's definitely ready to be our back up right back which hopefully means no more Gomez there!

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #101615 on: June 25, 2020, 03:58:48 pm »
Tacked onto the Clyne announcement

Meanwhile, several Academy players will also leave Liverpool at the end of June, with Dan Atherton, Isaac Christie-Davies, Shamal George, Kai McKenzie-Lyle, Jack Walls, Alex Turner and Abel Rodrigues set to depart.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101616 on: June 25, 2020, 04:11:31 pm »
Tacked onto the Clyne announcement

Meanwhile, several Academy players will also leave Liverpool at the end of June, with Dan Atherton, Isaac Christie-Davies, Shamal George, Kai McKenzie-Lyle, Jack Walls, Alex Turner and Abel Rodrigues set to depart.

Not unexpected on the 3 goalies as there were far too many fighting for an U23s slot, on top of Keheller, who drops down for game time and Jaros, who did spend most of this season injured, and Winterbottom.  It will be interesting to see whether Kelleher  goes out on loan next season and Grabara comes back as the No 3 behind Adrian. 

Alex Turner was barely seen for 2 years in the U18, ditto Abel Rodrigues, although he seems to only have joined last summer going from the official website.  Not sure how accurate that is since I seem to remember him being listed on the retained list at the end of last season.  But hadn’t heard of him before that.  Jack has suffered from too many good RBs in front of him, ie Williams and Hoever, and perhaps quansah in the year below. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 05:10:53 pm by HopefulRed »

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101617 on: June 25, 2020, 05:17:38 pm »
Wonder when we will see the list of first year scholars released, now that we know who isn’t being retained

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101618 on: June 25, 2020, 07:07:47 pm »
Not unexpected on the 3 goalies as there were far too many fighting for an U23s slot, on top of Keheller, who drops down for game time and Jaros, who did spend most of this season injured, and Winterbottom.  It will be interesting to see whether Kelleher  goes out on loan next season and Grabara comes back as the No 3 behind Adrian. 

Alex Turner was barely seen for 2 years in the U18, ditto Abel Rodrigues, although he seems to only have joined last summer going from the official website.  Not sure how accurate that is since I seem to remember him being listed on the retained list at the end of last season.  But hadn’t heard of him before that.  Jack has suffered from too many good RBs in front of him, ie Williams and Hoever, and perhaps quansah in the year below. 

Extremely fair view

Kelleher will 100% go out on loan. He was due to go out on loan to Preston in Jan but they got cold feet because Liverpool say their players have to play on loan. Liverpool rate Kelleher highly.

Grabara is an interesting one I know some Huddersfield fans and they say hes no way need as good as Danny Ward. He then gets a head injury and is still not back.

We need 4 keepers. We take 3 on a match day and pratice in the 1st team sessions with 4.

I'll be honest I like Lonergan to stay and I would loan Kelleghar and Grabara out with Jaros and Winterbottom playing for under 23's....One issue is karius though..Liverpool need to get rid of him.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101619 on: June 25, 2020, 07:30:08 pm »
Found it odd we gave Coyle a new contract. Sort of player we should be letting go instead of signing to a second pro contract

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101620 on: June 26, 2020, 12:24:54 am »
Found it odd we gave Coyle a new contract. Sort of player we should be letting go instead of signing to a second pro contract
Think it’s just a one year extension, give him a chance to hopefully earn a spot elsewhere in a year’s time after a serious injury

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #101621 on: June 26, 2020, 01:09:24 am »
Now we've confirmed it I'd love to see us play some of the academy graduates and get them medals
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101622 on: June 26, 2020, 01:23:15 am »
Now we've confirmed it I'd love to see us play some of the academy graduates and get them medals

We only get 40 for the entire squad and backroom staff.

I wonder though if Liverpool will be applying for more considering the 5 sub rule etc.

However looking at this..Some might manage to get to the 5 matches total.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 02:12:09 am by Fordy »

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101623 on: June 28, 2020, 03:58:30 pm »
Extremely fair view

Kelleher will 100% go out on loan. He was due to go out on loan to Preston in Jan but they got cold feet because Liverpool say their players have to play on loan. Liverpool rate Kelleher highly.

Grabara is an interesting one I know some Huddersfield fans and they say hes no way need as good as Danny Ward. He then gets a head injury and is still not back.

We need 4 keepers. We take 3 on a match day and pratice in the 1st team sessions with 4.

I'll be honest I like Lonergan to stay and I would loan Kelleghar and Grabara out with Jaros and Winterbottom playing for under 23's....One issue is karius though..Liverpool need to get rid of him.

I don’t think Lonergan will be staying.  The retained lists for Prem clubs is on the Prem League website.  Lonergan is not listed.  He could have been listed as “offer” to indicate is an offer had been made, as Winterbottom is listed. 

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101624 on: June 28, 2020, 04:01:53 pm »
I don’t think Lonergan will be staying.  The retained lists for Prem clubs is on the Prem League website.  Lonergan is not listed.  He could have been listed as “offer” to indicate is an offer had been made, as Winterbottom is listed. 

He won't be listed on there as his contract is up in the summer. I doubt he will be offered a new one but who knows. Think having an experience keeper works. Kelleher should be going out on loan.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101625 on: June 28, 2020, 05:49:02 pm »
You've Oakley Cannonier(The ball boy the quickly passed the ball to TAA for the corner against Barca.Remember that goal)
Tommy Pilling
Isaac Mabaya
Cuba Diboe

All the above are England internationals under 15's/16's

Isaac Mabaya who is 15 is currently is already in under 18's already along with Abel Rodriques, Luca Stephenson, Luke Chambers and Max Woltman
I haven't seen Oakley Cannonier mentioned anywhere since he went off injured while playingfor England u16s last September and was taken to hospital for a scan. Was he playing last season or did he suffer a serious injury then?

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101626 on: June 30, 2020, 07:04:40 am »
I don't think this is just verbiage; these are the guys Klopp will give a chance to (from The Guardian piece today):

“What we want is to create our transfers internally. So now, the first glimpses of Neco Williams. Bring the boys up. Curtis, Harvey, Ki-Jana [Hoever], Sepp [van den Berg], Yasser [Larouci], Leighton [Clarkson], Jake Cain: all these boys have done really well."

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101627 on: June 30, 2020, 11:37:56 am »
Report: Liverpool have offered Reds teenager pro terms, announcement expected.

French outlet Foot Mercato have claimed that Liverpool have decided to offer French teenager Billy Koumetio professional terms, and an announcement is expected to be made in the next few days.

Koumetio, 17, joined Liverpool from French side Orleans in January 2019 and has since played eight times in the Under-18’s Premier League. The former Lyon youth player has even stepped up to the Under-23 side.

Not only that, but the two-time France Under-18 international was an unused substitute during the penalty shootout win over Arsenal earlier this season. A left-footed centre-back, Koumetio stands at a lofty 6ft 5in.

The report states that Koumetio is a fan of Virgil van Dijk and Liverpool have recognised the Frenchman’s leadership skills as a reason for him signing a new deal. Confirmation from the Merseyside club is expected in the coming days.

TBR’s view – Koumetio could be ideal if Lovren leaves

Getting a senior bow aged just 17 is unlikely and it might be a season or two before Koumetio is given that chance, but given the Reds are willing to offer him professional terms – it is an encouraging start.

Not only that, but at the age of 16 he was benched against Arsenal. That is an astonishing feat, and one that deserves rewarding. Koumetio has enormous potential, and with Dejan Lovren’s future in doubt, he needs to be kept on side.

https://tbrfootball.com/report-liverpool-have-offered-reds-teenager-pro-terms-announcement-expected/

Must admit France is a production line for defenders at the moment.

Kamara, Upamecano, Konate, Todibo, Badiashile.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101628 on: June 30, 2020, 12:07:00 pm »
I don't think this is just verbiage; these are the guys Klopp will give a chance to (from The Guardian piece today):

“What we want is to create our transfers internally. So now, the first glimpses of Neco Williams. Bring the boys up. Curtis, Harvey, Ki-Jana [Hoever], Sepp [van den Berg], Yasser [Larouci], Leighton [Clarkson], Jake Cain: all these boys have done really well."

Must be great for them all to have been involved in the celebrations last Thursday and then see the best manager in the world speaking about them like this.

The opportunity is there for all of them, they've all got the potential to make the step up so fingers crossed they all continue to put the work in to reach the level required - knowing that Jurgen Klopp is watching you and prepared to give you a chance should be the all motivation that any young player needs.

Offline ShowMeTheMane

• Boys Pen
  • Bastian of invincibility
« Reply #101629 on: June 30, 2020, 12:52:12 pm »
Are any of them proper local lads, or just players we took from rival academies?

You've Oakley Cannonier(The ball boy the quickly passed the ball to TAA for the corner against Barca.Remember that goal)
Tommy Pilling
Isaac Mabaya
Cuba Diboe

All the above are England internationals under 15's/16's

Isaac Mabaya who is 15 is currently is already in under 18's already along with Abel Rodriques, Luca Stephenson, Luke Chambers and Max Woltman

Online CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101630 on: June 30, 2020, 02:59:54 pm »

French outlet Foot Mercato have claimed that Liverpool have decided to offer French teenager Billy Koumetio professional terms, and an announcement is expected to be made in the next few days.

Koumetio, 17, joined Liverpool from French side Orleans in January 2019 and has since played eight times in the Under-18’s Premier League. The former Lyon youth player has even stepped up to the Under-23 side.

Not only that, but the two-time France Under-18 international was an unused substitute during the penalty shootout win over Arsenal earlier this season. A left-footed centre-back, Koumetio stands at a lofty 6ft 5in.

The report states that Koumetio is a fan of Virgil van Dijk and Liverpool have recognised the Frenchman’s leadership skills as a reason for him signing a new deal. Confirmation from the Merseyside club is expected in the coming days.

Getting a senior bow aged just 17 is unlikely and it might be a season or two before Koumetio is given that chance, but given the Reds are willing to offer him professional terms – it is an encouraging start.

Not only that, but at the age of 16 he was benched against Arsenal. That is an astonishing feat, and one that deserves rewarding. Koumetio has enormous potential, and with Dejan Lovren’s future in doubt, he needs to be kept on side.

https://tbrfootball.com/report-liverpool-have-offered-reds-teenager-pro-terms-announcement-expected/

The article reads like a computer generated one on Football Manager  ;D
shut up clown. Naby Keita can buy your life and throw it away.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101631 on: June 30, 2020, 04:07:13 pm »
Brewster start for Swansea against Millwall today. Kick off at 5.00pm.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101632 on: June 30, 2020, 04:41:50 pm »

how could you forget a certain french CL 04-05 winning defender and sakho of course.

but think Hoever and Van der Berg are ahead of him at the moment since both have debuted in senior teams.

Pretty sure the youth squad must be buzzing regarding klopp comments of looking for creative solutions internally. IF that and playing under the world's best coach and developer of talent doesn't get you excited, I don't know what will.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101633 on: June 30, 2020, 06:05:08 pm »
I’m really curious to see where Hoever ends up playing position wise. He’s never played there for us, but he just screams #6 to me. We appear set at right back, he’s perhaps a tad short for CB, but he’s just a supremely talented footballer. Could see him being Fabinho’s understudy (or even Gini’s for that matter). He’s still so young so there’s so great rush to force him into one position, just interested to see the next step in his development.

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101634 on: June 30, 2020, 06:29:17 pm »
What a goal by Rhian Brewster!

Didn't know he could take free-kicks like that  ;D

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101635 on: June 30, 2020, 06:29:49 pm »
Brewster start for Swansea against Millwall today. Kick off at 5.00pm.

And he just scored a free kick (although it'll probably go down as an own goal).
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online TALBERT

• Shite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101636 on: June 30, 2020, 06:30:46 pm »
And he just scored a free kick (although it'll probably go down as an own goal).

Just seen it

Great free kick
Number 1 fan of Xabi Alonso Alberto Aquilani Raul Meireles. Barry is pure shite compared to Xabi Alberto Raul!!!!!
KIMI RAIKKONEN LEGEND WDC 2007
Gomes flapping at a ball looks like a sealion trying to have a wank!

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101637 on: June 30, 2020, 06:30:50 pm »
Brewster scores a freekick to equalise for Swansea, in off the keeper so might go down as an OG.

Edit. What Hazell said.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101638 on: June 30, 2020, 07:12:36 pm »

Far too early in this kid’s career to be writing stuff like this imo.  Most of our U18s get offered pro contracts Within a year of reaching 17.  And there is always Sepp vdBerg, Hoever, and Rhys Williams ahead of him at the moment, not to mention Boyes and Clayton and Savage ahead of him in age at least.  That not to say he cannot overtake the latter group but the former are quite highly thought of. 

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101639 on: July 1, 2020, 05:13:45 pm »
Has there been any talk about what a timeline could look like for the youth sides to return to regular training/matches?