Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1446452 times)

Offline sirKennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Virgil Van Dijk signs for Liverpool
« Reply #4000 on: December 22, 2018, 12:20:03 am »
Hansen was a magnificent player,in his early days Paisley told him to cut out dribbling past players in his own penalty area,he was coolness personified and made the game look so easy,not many got past him.
Think VVD and Jocky probably our two best ever central defenders.

Offline The Naby Keita fan club

• Kopite
« Reply #4001 on: December 22, 2018, 12:23:40 am »
Starting to think we robbed Southampton.

Daylight robbery they call it  ;D

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4002 on: December 22, 2018, 12:26:15 am »
Wow, he was a lion today and one of our most impressive defenders.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline The Naby Keita fan club

• Kopite
« Reply #4003 on: December 22, 2018, 12:42:51 am »
doesnt score enough.
tik-tok

Offline iAnfieldRoad

• Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE IS COMING
« Reply #4004 on: December 22, 2018, 12:45:34 am »
What a player this lad is and I don't think there is a better centre half in world football never mind European.Thats how good I think he is.Cool as you like he`s virgil van dijk. ;D
Justice for the 97
You`ll never walk alone

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4005 on: December 22, 2018, 01:11:12 am »
He stops goals, he assists, he scores. If we had a team of Virgil Van Dykes we would win the league

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4006 on: December 22, 2018, 01:44:39 am »
So unfamiliar to hear commentators praising a defender so much during a game. They even called him 'Our Boy Virgil'.

Whether it was his tackling, passing, acceleration, heading and of course his finish for the goal.

What a beast of a player.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4007 on: December 22, 2018, 02:34:49 am »
So unfamiliar to hear commentators praising a defender so much during a game. They even called him 'Our Boy Virgil'.

Whether it was his tackling, passing, acceleration, heading and of course his finish for the goal.

What a beast of a player.
The thing is, he is so enjoyable to watch, even for a neutral. That wasn't true of John Terry, Vincent Kompany, Vidic, etc.

Maybe it was true of Rio Ferdinand for Man United supporters, but, given our mutual enmity, we couldn't enjoy that. Both VVD and Ferdinand have this swagger as the complete defender, leader on pitch, faster, stronger, better in the air, better on the ball, than their opponents. It's just cool to watch.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4008 on: December 22, 2018, 02:38:51 am »
I still chuckle when I remember reading the Southampton forum and some of their fans wondering why he’d leave them to come us ;D

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #4009 on: December 22, 2018, 02:54:10 am »
Best in the world, dominates everyone and everything!

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4010 on: December 22, 2018, 02:59:51 am »
Occasionally in Sport you get athletes that perform at a different level to their peers. That is Virgil at the moment for me. This season he has bullied every player he has come up against. Traore caused us problems tonight until Virgil well and truly put him in his place. The best bit is both players reaction. Virgil puffed out his chest and glared Traore went missing.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #4011 on: December 22, 2018, 03:17:24 am »
I still chuckle when I remember reading the Southampton forum and some of their fans wondering why he’d leave them to come us ;D

I'm loving this man. Him at the back, and Becker in goal, has to be some of the best business we've ever done.

I think I'll have to pop into the William Gladstone pub in town to watch the match more often. I've done so twice now, and stood in the very same spot. First time was the FA Cup derby. Virgil scores the winner. Second time was tonight. Virgil puts the game to bed.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 03:20:54 am by Spion Night, Holy Night »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #4012 on: December 22, 2018, 03:25:06 am »
Starting to think we robbed Southampton.

Well, I've just acquired this footage of Klopp arriving at St. Mary's to sign Big Virg.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Legacy Fan
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #4013 on: December 22, 2018, 03:42:48 am »
The man's a colossus. Walk around him... if you can.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4014 on: December 22, 2018, 03:46:23 am »
I’m guessing that those who wanted Klopp/Edwards to sign an alternate CB when we weren’t able to get Southampton to sell him to us are pretty happy that Klopp was willing to wait.  Must be one of the top 2-3 CB’s in the world today. 

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4015 on: December 22, 2018, 07:41:51 am »
25 years would take us back to 1993. That includes the age of Maldini, Nesta, Desailly etc. So Van Dijk isn't the only defender in that time with all-round world class ability.

If he wins some serious trophies, we can start comparing him to the best of other generations. Right now, we limit it to his own generation: Ramos, Varane, Thiago Silva, etc., and we can say that he is probably the best in the world right now.
Like I said, others such as those you mention, are far greater players in terms of achievments and longevity for sure, and that is important of course.

But if I just look at their talent and what qualities they have, Van Dijk is if not better, certainly comparable to the very best I’ve seen. Desially and Baresi might be the absolute best, Nesta is up there too of course, but I’m sure Van Dijk’s overall skill as a defender is at their level, or very, very close. We’ll see if he keeps it up, but that is my impression of him during this last year.

In world football right now, I certainly wouldn’t swap him for anyone.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4016 on: December 22, 2018, 07:45:14 am »
Time for a contract extension? Not sure how many years he signed up for, but he's earned one.

The level of focus he's displaying from the first to last minute of every single game is insane. Even surrounded by players playing at a very high level, he's looking a level above them in terms of making basically no errors at all. One of very few criticisms of him before joining was that he can find games so easy that he'd occasionally switch off at vital moments, but we're not really seeing any of that. Maybe he needed the added stakes of trophies being on the line to do it, either way, long may it continue.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 07:47:15 am by rowan_d »

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4017 on: December 22, 2018, 07:48:11 am »
Is it just me or has he stepped up another level after giving away the penalty against City? Absolutely incredible player and shows we've got a great scouting team in-place.
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4018 on: December 22, 2018, 07:56:26 am »
He's prime Rio Ferdinand 90% of the time. And then when he needs to, he morphs into prime John Terry. He's absolutely amazing in a way that few defenders are. Maybe a more physical version of Nesta who IMO was the best defender in the world for about a decade before he aged and the next generation came through.
Ferdinand is the best I’ve seen in England, better than Terry who needed his team to play compact and defensive to be anywhere near his best. Ferdinand was great in both attacking and defensive teams, but Terry wouldn’t handle a high defensive line as well as Van Dijk and Ferdinand.

Van Dijk seems like a mix of both almost, in that he’s as dominant as Terry in the air (we haven’t conceded a single header in the league the commentator said during the game), yet as quick and athletic as Ferdinand was.

It’s perhaps silly to compare him to alltime greats, but he’s such an outstanding talent that I can’t help it. He’s incredible and makes defending a joy to watch. And it is not just us who think so, even Burnley supporters said they would pay just to see him after our game against them.

Offline dirks digglers

• Kopite
« Reply #4019 on: December 22, 2018, 07:59:19 am »
Was I imagining what I wanted to imagine or when Big Virgil put on the afterburners to beat Traore to the ball did he give that little I-can’t-quite-resist-it cheeky grin that he does sometimes? 😁
If you can’t understand it without an explanation, you can’t understand it with an explanation.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4020 on: December 22, 2018, 08:02:14 am »
Can anyone think of a weakness from VVD?
Believer

Offline RedBlakey

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #4021 on: December 22, 2018, 08:12:39 am »
Can anyone think of a weakness from VVD?

I’ve heard he can’t resist a chocolate digestive.
Never seen him playing I think. But looks like a good player.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #4022 on: December 22, 2018, 08:36:16 am »
Early shout for player of the season

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4023 on: December 22, 2018, 08:38:57 am »
What a player this lad is and I don't think there is a better centre half in world football never mind European.Thats how good I think he is.Cool as you like he`s virgil van dijk. ;D

Loved that duel with Traore in the second half by the touchline, any other defender in the league would have lost it. Well, maybe not Gomez, but any other defender apart from those two.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4024 on: December 22, 2018, 08:44:21 am »
I’ve heard he can’t resist a chocolate digestive.

No mate, stroopwafel.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4025 on: December 22, 2018, 08:45:42 am »
Just seen the rerun @ lfctvgo. Word ‘domination’ comes to my mind.
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4026 on: December 22, 2018, 08:50:52 am »
I’m guessing that those who wanted Klopp/Edwards to sign an alternate CB when we weren’t able to get Southampton to sell him to us are pretty happy that Klopp was willing to wait.  Must be one of the top 2-3 CB’s in the world today.

I had a gander through the ‘we haven’t strengthened the defence’ thread today (from around September last year) and it’s honestly absolute carnage. Huge amount of criticism of the manager, the board, the owners, how we conduct transfers. Some people slagging off last season’s summer activity (Mo, Ox, Robbo and Solanke) saying that it wasn’t actually strebthing the squad because we’d lost Origi, Lucas, Sakho and Stewart  ;D. Some people in fairness saying fair enough that VVD was number one target but we should have then signed someone else. People advocating us signing Keane, Howedes, Jonny Evans, Harry Maguire. And yeah a lot of it was the usual suspects whinging, but it’s nice to see how it’s changed.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4027 on: December 22, 2018, 08:54:14 am »
I had a gander through the ‘we haven’t strengthened the defence’ thread today (from around September last year) and it’s honestly absolute carnage. Huge amount of criticism of the manager, the board, the owners, how we conduct transfers. Some people slagging off last season’s summer activity (Mo, Ox, Robbo and Solanke) saying that it wasn’t actually strebthing the squad because we’d lost Origi, Lucas, Sakho and Stewart  ;D. Some people in fairness saying fair enough that VVD was number one target but we should have then signed someone else. People advocating us signing Keane, Howedes, Jonny Evans, Harry Maguire. And yeah a lot of it was the usual suspects whinging, but it’s nice to see how it’s changed.

My favourite thread is the one when the news broke about us being accused of tapping up Van Dijk and subsequently not signing him that summer. It's brilliant.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4028 on: December 22, 2018, 09:00:55 am »
My favourite thread is the one when the news broke about us being accused of tapping up Van Dijk and subsequently not signing him that summer. It's brilliant.
Obviously I'm glad that we waited, but the fact that we had to essentially because of our boasting about tapping him up reflected very poorly on the club, and was very damaging to the team. Don't think anyone can be blamed if they were seething at the time, I certainly was.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4029 on: December 22, 2018, 09:04:32 am »

Thankfully I didn’t take part, but I look quite the genius around that time. Mocking Everton signing Pickford and Cuco Martina, mocking Cantona for his grandiose predictions and subsequent disappearing act, advocating us keeping Sturridge and selling Ings. What a time to be alive  8)

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4030 on: December 22, 2018, 09:09:15 am »
Obviously I'm glad that we waited, but the fact that we had to essentially because of our boasting about tapping him up reflected very poorly on the club, and was very damaging to the team. Don't think anyone can be blamed if they were seething at the time, I certainly was.

I agree that it made the club look bad, but it didn't feel like it damaged the team a lot. Also, it seemed like it was Klopp's decision not to go after any other CB (remember all the "is Van Dijk the available defender out there better than Lovren?" shouts, it looks like the answer is yes), so it showed a certain lack of trust in him.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4031 on: December 22, 2018, 09:19:38 am »
I’m 28 and he’s possibly the best centre back I’ve seen for this club.

I'm more than double that age, and I'd agree.

Online Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4032 on: December 22, 2018, 09:31:28 am »
I agree that it made the club look bad, but it didn't feel like it damaged the team a lot. Also, it seemed like it was Klopp's decision not to go after any other CB (remember all the "is Van Dijk the available defender out there better than Lovren?" shouts, it looks like the answer is yes), so it showed a certain lack of trust in him.

I'd say it did damage the team, some of our defending was horrific in the first part of last season and could easily have seen us crash out of the top four as quickly as we'd got in it like a few years ago.

That's by the by now though, the club got the job done and we've got an absolute collosus orchestrating things back there

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4033 on: December 22, 2018, 09:36:54 am »
Ferdinand is the best I’ve seen in England, better than Terry who needed his team to play compact and defensive to be anywhere near his best. Ferdinand was great in both attacking and defensive teams, but Terry wouldn’t handle a high defensive line as well as Van Dijk and Ferdinand.

Van Dijk seems like a mix of both almost, in that he’s as dominant as Terry in the air (we haven’t conceded a single header in the league the commentator said during the game), yet as quick and athletic as Ferdinand was.

It’s perhaps silly to compare him to alltime greats, but he’s such an outstanding talent that I can’t help it. He’s incredible and makes defending a joy to watch. And it is not just us who think so, even Burnley supporters said they would pay just to see him after our game against them.

I've thought the same and on pure ability (not trophies) Van Dijk looks better than both,i can see no real weaknesses in his game.

Really caught my eye at Southampton when he,coming from yards behind catches Mane who is through and prevents him from scoring.

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #4034 on: December 22, 2018, 09:58:09 am »

We tapped him up but it's now obvious that VD is a player that would transform our defence and thus the club.
If our scouts and Klopp could see what we all see clearly now it's no wonder they went out on a limb. Don't forget that apart from his footballing ability he is a leader.

Most clubs tap players up but somebody leaked to the press ahead of schedule but I don't blame us for trying this as he's a player in a million.

Last night after scoring his first league goal and playing majestically in defence he told Kelly he had a cold and was not 100% !  He thinks he can do better.  :o
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #4035 on: December 22, 2018, 10:00:30 am »

Think these were the same lads/lasses who were moaning when Klopp said Milner was like a new midfield signing in summer 2017. This is just before he went and recorded a CL season with the most assists by an individual.

I’m glad I was one of the “trust the manager” folk. Who’d have fucking known. He’s knows more than someone watching the game in their undies in front of the tele.

I have the same attitude with Henderson, Lovren, Lallana. The players the Twitter virgins seem to think they know more about than Klopp.

I suppose the message here is Klopp and his team got things spectacularly right with VvD. He’s earnt our trust massively and his decisions should be trusted implicitly at the moment. He’s earnt it.

VvD is amazing. Anyone calling for him to be captain is a c*nt though
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #4036 on: December 22, 2018, 10:07:38 am »
Think these were the same lads/lasses who were moaning when Klopp said Milner was like a new midfield signing in summer 2017. This is just before he went and recorded a CL season with the most assists by an individual.

I’m glad I was one of the “trust the manager” folk. Who’d have fucking known. He’s knows more than someone watching the game in their undies in front of the tele.

I have the same attitude with Henderson, Lovren, Lallana. The players the Twitter virgins seem to think they know more about than Klopp.

I suppose the message here is Klopp and his team got things spectacularly right with VvD. He’s earnt our trust massively and his decisions should be trusted implicitly at the moment. He’s earnt it.

VvD is amazing. Anyone calling for him to be captain is a c*nt though

There must be a majority of c**** in our squad then as they voted VD captain. 😜

I know that this is when Hendo sits out but that could be 50% of our games given his injury problems.

Virgil bosses the game no matter who plays. Listen and watch him.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4037 on: December 22, 2018, 10:17:20 am »
If we can win one of the big two this year then he has to go down as one of the biggest signings in our history.

Alisson, Gomez, Trent, Robertson, even Matip and Lovren deserve credit for our defensive improvement but what this bloke has done since signing is absolutely unbelievable. Best centre half in the world at the moment. The way he just bullies people off the ball and then walks away, his whole demeanor says he's always got a situation under control and that has to spread confidence.

People get bogged down talking about captains, at the moment we are growing a team of leaders with captains all over the pitch. It's what we've been asking for since the Benitez era really. As exciting as we were in the early months of Klopp this team is currently unrecognisable from the one he inherited. His coaching deserves all the credit in the world but sometimes you just have to cough the money up for the very best, that's what we've done and it is paying off in a way I don't think any of us really believed it would.

Level with that Chelsea team of 2004/5 is remarkable, especially considering that defending was such a huge part of what they were all about. We are still fundamentally an attacking team, all about creating opportunities and scoring goals. The style has changed from last season but we are still an exciting team to watch, it's just that all of a sudden we have this ability to look like once we're in the lead, nobody can lay a glove. Like I said,everyone deserves credit for that but Virgil has been the spearhead of it. What a fucking signing, what a fucking defender.

Offline You'll Never Walk Alone

• Kopite
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys...
« Reply #4038 on: December 22, 2018, 10:26:49 am »
He’s like a 15 year old playing for the Under 8s. Monster!
Quote from: Youll Never Walk Alone on September  2, 2007, 12:38:14 PM
Voronin = Bargain.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #4039 on: December 22, 2018, 10:29:39 am »
He’s like a 15 year old playing for the Under 8s. Monster!

Indeed he is, Mr Bennell.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family