Author Topic: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies  (Read 1040683 times)

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
Re: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies
« Reply #15280 on: July 26, 2020, 08:39:11 pm »
If it has a light on indicating a stand-by mode, then, however small, there is energy being drawn, as their has to be circuitry and energy to illuminate said light thingy.

If you're that worried, tell ye ma to take the batteries out of her TV remote or........ other battery devices that may, be in a ready for use status. Maaatron.

For the hearing aid, the threshold for detection is slightly out, or, by design they know your hearing is better in one than the other, so they set indicator(if possible) slightly higher/lower.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #15281 on: July 26, 2020, 08:54:58 pm »
^^^ Thanks, gents, I'm guessing it is a slight variance in the setting of the units (they are the over-the-ear variety with the little watch type batteries). 

My right ear hearing is worse, so I would assume it has been set to a higher level, I just didn't realise that would use more battery power, I thought the battery life was based on time used, not what it's used for.
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15282 on: July 27, 2020, 12:01:19 pm »
Are there any rules on when a company is allowed to pass your details to a debt collector, or sell the debt to them?

Do they have to have made an attempt to collect the debt or make contact with the customer a certain amount of times first?

My old energy supplier didn't take my final payment from my account, didn't let me know or make any attempt to contact me and then 18 months later I start getting letters and phone calls about a debt with them.

When I found out, I immediately paid the outstanding balance direct to the energy supplier but still getting calls from the debt collector. I refuse to speak to them out of principle, and have spoken to the energy supplier who said they will contact the debt collectors and tell them it has been paid but still the same a few weeks later.

I'm wondering if I have grounds for an official complaint to Ofgem.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #15283 on: July 27, 2020, 12:54:46 pm »
Are there any rules on when a company is allowed to pass your details to a debt collector, or sell the debt to them?

Do they have to have made an attempt to collect the debt or make contact with the customer a certain amount of times first?

My old energy supplier didn't take my final payment from my account, didn't let me know or make any attempt to contact me and then 18 months later I start getting letters and phone calls about a debt with them.

When I found out, I immediately paid the outstanding balance direct to the energy supplier but still getting calls from the debt collector. I refuse to speak to them out of principle, and have spoken to the energy supplier who said they will contact the debt collectors and tell them it has been paid but still the same a few weeks later.

I'm wondering if I have grounds for an official complaint to Ofgem.

It may be the debt collection agency at fault rather than the energy supplier.

The Financial Conduct Authority has information about the regulation of agencies which may help.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15284 on: July 27, 2020, 06:01:37 pm »
It may be the debt collection agency at fault rather than the energy supplier.

The Financial Conduct Authority has information about the regulation of agencies which may help.

Could be, I'm mainly just wondering if there are rules on when you are allowed to get debt collectors involved.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15285 on: July 27, 2020, 06:13:40 pm »
Could be, I'm mainly just wondering if there are rules on when you are allowed to get debt collectors involved.
If you've spoken to the supplier, paid the debt and been told that would be the end of it, youre well within your rights to put an Ofgem complaint in.

Regardless of who was at fault for the debt being passed to debt collection  they should still recall it once its been settled so the energy supplier has not delivered what they promised.

I do have some experience as I worked in the debt department at British Gas a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #15286 on: July 28, 2020, 03:10:21 am »

If you have a look here, http://www.fliptronics.com/tip0006.html, it has a good breakdown of typical LR44 battery performance when used in Digital calipers (the circuits in many of the cheaper Chinese ones don't actually actually turn off, just the display, which is seriously annoying as it means they eat through batteries) but it gives a general idea of possible battery life over such periods of time.

This solves a long standing mystery for me. How I could never get the batteries in one of those buggers to last any decent length of time despite only occasional use. Went back to manual calipers in the end.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #15287 on: July 28, 2020, 06:05:38 am »
This solves a long standing mystery for me. How I could never get the batteries in one of those buggers to last any decent length of time despite only occasional use. Went back to manual calipers in the end.

It's seriously annoying.

I had an old Mitutoyo, cost an arm and a leg around 30 years ago and still working perfectly though the display is tiny by more modern standards, but a few years ago I thought I'd buy one of the new cheap Chinese things as a backup and something handy to do 'near enough' measurements and that I needn't worry too much about leaving lying around down in my workshop.

While it was constructed cheaply, very, and of mostly non solvent resistant plastic for the body instead of non magnetic stainless steel and cutting fluid impervious materials like the Mitu's, it was accurate enough for my sort of use but unfortunately I found it went through batteries like a George Best got through booze and became annoyingly unpredictable as to if it would actually spring into life whenever I went to turn it on and use it.

I browsed around and found that this was a common fault and largely all down to that reason up above.

There are fixes but they involve intrusive poking around and inserting a switch, a bit of a bodge judging by some photos I saw, so I found it easier to simply take the battery out when not in use.

I ended up buying a much newer Mitutoyo off Ebay which has now become my number one goto though probably like yourself, I'm still quite fond of my old no batteries required verniers largely since I was brought up using them back in the 60's at school when doing Physics and remain comfortable reading them, and I even sometimes still resort to my now rather old but cosseted Moore & Wright micrometers even though they haven't been officially calibrated in years. I do occasionally give them all  a check out with some guages and they still seem fine for the enthusiastic amateur stuff I tend to do though which never requires the very fine precision they are well capable of measuring.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15288 on: August 1, 2020, 02:01:49 pm »
Anyone know any Mini breakers?

Fuel cover (the exterior metal flappy bit, not the whole unit) has decided to randomly fall off my gf’s car somewhere. Trying to find a replacement online in British racing green but struggling to find one for a 2017 (F56) model  :wave

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15289 on: August 1, 2020, 02:37:13 pm »

Fuel cover (the exterior metal flappy bit, not the whole unit) has decided to randomly fall off my gf’s car somewhere. Trying to find a replacement online in British racing green but struggling to find one for a 2017 (F56) model  :wave

Is the cover exclusive to the F56, or will R56 parts fit? Theres a few R56 ones on ebay

These do Mini spares but don't know if they do used https://www.bestpartstore.co.uk/mini-mini/mini-f56/100572
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15290 on: August 1, 2020, 02:40:19 pm »
Is the cover exclusive to the F56, or will R56 parts fit? Theres a few R56 ones on ebay

These do Mini spares but don't know if they do used https://www.bestpartstore.co.uk/mini-mini/mini-f56/100572

I’m not sure if they do, have asked on a Mini forum as found those R56 ones too. They look pretty similar.

Will take a look on there mate.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15291 on: August 1, 2020, 02:42:41 pm »
I’m not sure if they do, have asked on a Mini forum as found those R56 ones too. They look pretty similar.

Will take a look on there mate.

Here you go, Mini parts catalogue with part numbers

http://www.bmw-etk.info/parts-catalog/flt/AS/Mini/VT/P
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15292 on: August 1, 2020, 02:52:04 pm »

Other end of the country from you and not specifically Minis but they courier parts and I have used them before. There are a LOT of Mini drivers in Aberdeenshire so might be a shout.

http://www.overtongarage.co.uk/

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15293 on: August 1, 2020, 02:57:35 pm »
Other end of the country from you and not specifically Minis but they courier parts and I have used them before. There are a LOT of Mini drivers in Aberdeenshire so might be a shout.

http://www.overtongarage.co.uk/

Ta, have emailed them.

Offline gary75

• Despite all his care, he suffers from a sticky ring.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #15294 on: August 8, 2020, 09:26:08 am »
Don't suppose anyone knows any alternative car insurance companies?
The comparison sites don't offer .much, I used to use a company called elephant, they weren't on the compare sires and were fairly cheap.
Can't use them anymore so any recommendations would be helpful.
Cheers

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15295 on: August 9, 2020, 01:35:49 pm »
I insure both my car and motorbikes through adrian flux, cheaper than what I found on compare websites and better cover than they offer

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/car-insurance/

Offline gary75

• Despite all his care, he suffers from a sticky ring.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #15296 on: August 9, 2020, 07:13:20 pm »
Thanks Rob, they are going to email me a quote.

So many companies these days are underwritten by the same finance broker, its difficult to get  good deal.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #15297 on: August 16, 2020, 05:34:22 pm »
Has Liverpool really got rats the size of rabbits? as reported in today New york post this is the picture they used I have a feeling it maybe fake.

New York Post
@nypost

Rabbit-sized rats terrify Liverpool residents: 'They've taken over'

https://nypost.com/2020/08/15/giant-rats-terrify-liverpool-residents-theyve-taken-over/?utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=SocialFlow
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15298 on: August 16, 2020, 05:35:43 pm »
Yes. We also have rabbits the size of Godzilla. The pic is accurate.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15299 on: August 18, 2020, 06:27:08 pm »
Has Liverpool really got rats the size of rabbits? as reported in today New york post this is the picture they used I have a feeling it maybe fake.

New York Post
@nypost

Rabbit-sized rats terrify Liverpool residents: 'They've taken over'

https://nypost.com/2020/08/15/giant-rats-terrify-liverpool-residents-theyve-taken-over/?utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

Yes. Mate of mine used to work in a converted warehouse on Sefton Street opposite Coburg dock in the mid 80's. He used to tell me horror stories about the Wharf rats that used to come in to their canteen, these fuckers grow to about a foot and a half in length, same size as a domestic cat.

I bet any ex dockers on here would be able to tell a few tales.

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15300 on: August 19, 2020, 11:01:17 am »
Yes. Mate of mine used to work in a converted warehouse on Sefton Street opposite Coburg dock in the mid 80's. He used to tell me horror stories about the Wharf rats that used to come in to their canteen, these fuckers grow to about a foot and a half in length, same size as a domestic cat.

I bet any ex dockers on here would be able to tell a few tales.

I was sitting at the lights coming out the dock end of the tunnel coming into town and something caught the corner of my eye running up the little path inside the tunnel and it was a rat the size of a cat. Looked in my rear view a we were just a row of cars all looking horrified at this monster running past us.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15301 on: August 19, 2020, 11:49:58 am »
Being a resident of Liverpool, I've seen the odd rat or two, that said, never seen anything anywhere near that size.

Oh. I'm sure they exist. As I'm sure they do in every City or built up area, where there's a regular food supply.

Seems like a really strange story from somewhere half way around the world. Just odd.

Damo58. When was that?

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15302 on: August 19, 2020, 12:57:45 pm »
Being a resident of Liverpool, I've seen the odd rat or two, that said, never seen anything anywhere near that size.

Oh. I'm sure they exist. As I'm sure they do in every City or built up area, where there's a regular food supply.

Seems like a really strange story from somewhere half way around the world. Just odd.

Damo58. When was that?

Would have been a couple of years ago now. Haven't seen anything like it since - it was really shocking.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15303 on: August 19, 2020, 02:29:06 pm »

Damo58. When was that?

My ma grew up in Everton and she told me about this huge rat in the cellar, it was so big the cat was scared of it.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15304 on: August 19, 2020, 09:29:26 pm »
Adult rats around here are about the size of a young rabbit. Think that is pretty normal.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15305 on: August 20, 2020, 07:28:43 pm »
My car insurance renewed at the end of June, and I phoned them up to negotiate as their renewal price was a rip off. I was (very!) happy with the price they then offered - way better than any on comparison sites - so I said go ahead. They confirmed my card details from the previous year were still valid and said the payment went through. I recevied the renewal docs and left it at that.

I have just noticed that my card has never been charged. I've logged into my account with the insurer and it says everything is fine.

Should I say something? Is my insurance valid?

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15306 on: August 20, 2020, 10:27:31 pm »
When we had our bathroom done 10+ years ago we got one of those valve things with 3 controls that goes on the wall.

One turns on the shower, one the bath and one controls the temperature. 

We need to replace it or repare it if possible as the temperature bit has seized up so we have to hope for the best that the water isn't too hot for a shower.

I've just been online to price them up but I'm having trouble finding them.  There's loads that look the same but none that does shower and bath.

Suggestions please.

Is it possible to repair it or am I just being dim and not looking at the right things that I can't find any?

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15307 on: August 20, 2020, 10:29:03 pm »

I'd speak to them as it's definitely invalid if you haven't paid, regardless of it being their fault.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15308 on: August 21, 2020, 12:09:36 am »
When we had our bathroom done 10+ years ago we got one of those valve things with 3 controls that goes on the wall.

One turns on the shower, one the bath and one controls the temperature. 

We need to replace it or repare it if possible as the temperature bit has seized up so we have to hope for the best that the water isn't too hot for a shower.

I've just been online to price them up but I'm having trouble finding them.  There's loads that look the same but none that does shower and bath.

Suggestions please.

Is it possible to repair it or am I just being dim and not looking at the right things that I can't find any?
Who's the manufacturer?

find  a local plumber/engineer who specialises in showers.(mixer variety). It sounds like a simple fault (a wax capsule or something) to repair/replace.

Go through the manufacturer and ask them if there is a service engineer local to you.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15309 on: August 21, 2020, 07:01:25 am »
Who's the manufacturer?

find  a local plumber/engineer who specialises in showers.(mixer variety). It sounds like a simple fault (a wax capsule or something) to repair/replace.

Go through the manufacturer and ask them if there is a service engineer local to you.
Thanks Richie [emoji106]

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15310 on: August 21, 2020, 09:23:26 am »
My car insurance renewed at the end of June, and I phoned them up to negotiate as their renewal price was a rip off. I was (very!) happy with the price they then offered - way better than any on comparison sites - so I said go ahead. They confirmed my card details from the previous year were still valid and said the payment went through. I recevied the renewal docs and left it at that.

I have just noticed that my card has never been charged. I've logged into my account with the insurer and it says everything is fine.

You can check the same database that the Police use, just enter your reg and tick to confirm you have valid reason to be checking this. If it comes up on here as insured, then its up to you if you contact them - I wouldn't personally.

https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

• Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #15311 on: August 21, 2020, 10:12:09 am »
I've recently got Netflix, but I have a concern someone in the house is "accidently" paying for films and series.  Apparently, if a series is chargeable for the first series, if you go to series and episodes and choose the second series onwards you don't get charged, but I find this unlikely.

Do you get billed straightaway when you purchase something, or is it added to the monthly amount?

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15312 on: August 21, 2020, 10:13:48 am »
You can check the same database that the Police use, just enter your reg and tick to confirm you have valid reason to be checking this. If it comes up on here as insured, then its up to you if you contact them - I wouldn't personally.

https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

Thanks - it shows up as insured on there.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15313 on: August 21, 2020, 10:21:12 am »
Thanks - it shows up as insured on there.

Cancel the insurance and see if they give you refund ;)

I never actually check that the payment has gone, all I do is make sure the policy docs are right and that I'm showing as insured and that is it.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15314 on: August 21, 2020, 10:45:23 am »
I've recently got Netflix, but I have a concern someone in the house is "accidently" paying for films and series.  Apparently, if a series is chargeable for the first series, if you go to series and episodes and choose the second series onwards you don't get charged, but I find this unlikely.

Do you get billed straightaway when you purchase something, or is it added to the monthly amount?

Everything on Netflix is free with the monthly sub.

• Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #15315 on: August 23, 2020, 09:27:32 am »
Everything on Netflix is free with the monthly sub.

Cheers, Craig.  So even though it says £2.49 or whatever, as I pay the £6 a month I won't get charged?

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15316 on: August 23, 2020, 09:39:55 am »
Cheers, Craig.  So even though it says £2.49 or whatever, as I pay the £6 a month I won't get charged?

... Are you sure you are on Netflix? Nothing in Netflix has an individual price, there is no option to just pay for one show or movie.

You pay the subscription and get access to everything.

Are you sure you are not on Amazon Prime?

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #15317 on: August 23, 2020, 10:06:21 am »

Thats not Netflix mate.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15318 on: August 23, 2020, 10:10:51 am »

Sounds like you’re using Amazon Prime, not Netflix.

You using a Firestick?

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #15319 on: August 23, 2020, 11:04:26 am »
... Are you sure you are on Netflix?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D