Author Topic: Bomb incident at Liverpool Womens Hospital  (Read 13575 times)

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
Re: Re: Liverpool news thread
« Reply #120 on: November 15, 2021, 12:30:21 pm »
Lots and lots of speculation and theories going round at the minute.

In the past when there has been a terror attack in London I've been gutted for the people involved, talked about it in work or with mates. Then when the MEN bomb happened I remember my blood run cold, because it was closer to home, somewhere I was familiar with.

This is the same, its in my city, on my doorstep, it really does make you nervous.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #121 on: November 15, 2021, 12:31:06 pm »
Given how quick the counter terror reacted from yesterday morning as it happened - with other arrests quickly following - you wonder if they were people already known to them.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: November 15, 2021, 12:33:06 pm »
Lots and lots of speculation and theories going round at the minute.

In the past when there has been a terror attack in London I've been gutted for the people involved, talked about it in work or with mates. Then when the MEN bomb happened I remember my blood run cold, because it was closer to home, somewhere I was familiar with.

This is the same, its in my city, on my doorstep, it really does make you nervous.

I knew of several people who were at that concert so it knocked me sick to wake up to that in the morning.

Just thankfully something of that scale was averted, but it's far too close to home. As a city we avoided the IRA bedlam from the 70s to the 90s and you just don't expect it here.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: November 15, 2021, 12:34:53 pm »
Given how quick the counter terror reacted from yesterday morning as it happened - with other arrests quickly following - you wonder if they were people already known to them.

They've probably got the address off Delta and then pounced on known associates. Remarkably fast how quickly they had people detained. Without going down a rabbit hole it's still baffling how people can be a known threat yet have no action taken until it's too late.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: November 15, 2021, 12:38:08 pm »
From the Guardian newsfeed:

Nick Aldworth, the UK’s former counter-terrorism national co-ordinator, is analysing what police and security investigators will be focusing on that moment.

He told BBC News that what he had seen suggested it was either a “a low yield explosive” or “an intentionally incendiary advice or a much greater explosive that has failed to detonate”.

He added that lots of these devices are unstable and can cause fires without being detonated.

He added that “despite the intense fire that followed on from that explosion there are likely to be residual items of evidence” for example shrapnel or nuts and bolts. There is also likely to be evidence to the addresses where the suspects were based.

After the Manchester Arena bombing, investigators found chemicals used to make the device, which enabled them to determine the size of device and whether there may be any other devices circulating, he said.

Aldworth said the police “have become very good at reporting suspicious purchases of flammable materials”.

He said it is now much more difficult to make large explosive devices, such as those made in the past by the IRA, since “there are now rules around the sales and storage” of chemicals such as farms fertilisers.

Instead, increasingly terrorists use a large number of people to buy lots of small purchases to circumvent the rules, he said.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: November 15, 2021, 12:41:27 pm »
They've probably got the address off Delta and then pounced on known associates. Remarkably fast how quickly they had people detained. Without going down a rabbit hole it's still baffling how people can be a known threat yet have no action taken until it's too late.

Yeah, it's unclear whether they've just pieced everything together off one phonecall.

The individual has given their phone number and address away by calling a cab and then blown themselves up in the taxi. They don't exactly sound like a mastermind  anyway, or professionals.

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #126 on: November 15, 2021, 12:44:58 pm »
All depends on timing, the road he would have been going down he can't turn around just got to drive to that roundabout bit. Might have only been as he was approaching the entrance he realised and locked the car.

Sure we will find out in due course. But still odd as would have expected at least a few seconds with the car stopped if the cabbie had locked the doors

Most important thing is that nobody was killed. Dread to think what could have happened if he had got inside the hospital

Plus any right wing idiots who are now saying "bet Liverpool are sorry they opened their doors to refugees" should fuck off
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2021, 12:50:05 pm »
I work near Manchester and not a single person has mentioned it, not even general office gossip shite. Media were slow to pick up on it and even into last night seemed more concerned about some old fart from London with a bad back

My Dad lives in the Swan, if he hadn't have posted about it one facey I'd not have heard a peep about it. I've not heard a thing on the radio news
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #128 on: November 15, 2021, 12:56:49 pm »

Normally the case with stuff like this, terror attacks. Known to authorities.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: November 15, 2021, 01:17:26 pm »
The whole "wasn't mentioned on the news" angle seems quite weird to me.

First I heard of it was on BBC tea time news yesterday before they knew it was terrorism and the police were saying counter-terrorism was involved as a precaution and today it's headline/frontpage/main news on all news websites and was on BBC news on the radio this morning.

I work in London and my colleagues have asked about it first thing today. If anyone doesn't know about it then they're not watching the news.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: November 15, 2021, 01:21:36 pm »
My Dad lives in the Swan, if he hadn't have posted about it one facey I'd not have heard a peep about it. I've not heard a thing on the radio news

It dominated the Today programme this morning on Radio 4 and front page headlines in the papers. Obviously all over the Echo.

It did seem retrained earlier yesterday though. I don't think a lot of people realised what had occurred, or took a while to filter through. A car on fire in itself wasn't a major story. Thankfully a catastrophe being curtailed.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: November 15, 2021, 01:23:08 pm »

The individual has given their phone number and address away by calling a cab and then blown themselves up in the taxi. They don't exactly sound like a mastermind  anyway, or professionals.

Professional suicide bombers usually don't have very long careers. :-X

Guess if you plan a suicide attack, you don't mind giving away your address and phone number, as you don't plan on using either ever again.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2021, 01:31:46 pm »
From what I've heard from my friends around the world, there has been more coverage of this is the US than it seems like over here.

I was in paris on sunday and met a fella from boston, he text me about if in paris before i even found out about from anyone in the 'uk'
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: November 15, 2021, 01:39:34 pm »
Normally the case with stuff like this, terror attacks. Known to authorities.

Like I said though, seems the authorities got caught with their pants down on when and where these people were going to strike.  I'd be interested in finding out if this terrorist cell was under surveillance prior to the attack.

Popcorn's Art

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #134 on: November 15, 2021, 01:41:39 pm »
Like I said though, seems the authorities got caught with their pants down on when and where these people were going to strike.  I'd be interested in finding out if this terrorist cell was under surveillance prior to the attack.

Is that not observer bias though?  How many terrorists are stopped before they start a strike?  We obviously don't hear about most of these.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2021, 01:58:14 pm »
Professional suicide bombers usually don't have very long careers. :-X

Guess if you plan a suicide attack, you don't mind giving away your address and phone number, as you don't plan on using either ever again.

I mean more in terms of giving away all his associates details (assuming that led to their swift arrests) and the address where other stuff was seized and other people were.

I don't know what their aim was, but i'd assume it was to cause more carnage than damage to a taxi.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 01:59:54 pm by Fromola »

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: November 15, 2021, 02:00:54 pm »
Is that not observer bias though?  How many terrorists are stopped before they start a strike?  We obviously don't hear about most of these.

MI5/other intelligence services are thwarting potential attacks all the time. Ultimately they can't stop them all.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #137 on: November 15, 2021, 02:02:46 pm »
That was the impression I got when I first heard the news. Usually when a car bomb goes off there's nothing left of the vehicle. Unless it was a piss weak bomb.

It takes a special kind of sicko to target newborns.
It wasn't a car bomb mate; it was a suicide vest.

Sick twisted bastards  :no
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: November 15, 2021, 02:18:01 pm »

We don't know what the device was yet do we? Could have been a bomb in a bag that someone was going to leave in/ near the hospital before fleeing for example

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
Re: Bomb incident at Liverpool Womens Hospital
« Reply #139 on: November 15, 2021, 02:25:04 pm »
COBRA security council has just raised the terror threat in the UK to severe

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #140 on: November 15, 2021, 02:34:40 pm »
We are all just speculating on who is responsible - I work at a venue in town and have completed Project Argus training (anti-terrorism training delivered by Merseyside Police) 

It did surprise me that they still classed Irish terrorism as the greatest threat to Liverpool as a city
Very odd and worrying mindset from the police that. There hasn't been an Irish republican bomb attack in England in over 20 years, and no fatal attacks outside Northern Ireland since the GFA.  The police must be intent on fighting the last war. 
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: November 15, 2021, 02:34:54 pm »
We don't know what the device was yet do we? Could have been a bomb in a bag that someone was going to leave in/ near the hospital before fleeing for example

The press conference stated it was an Improvised Explosive Device. It's not known what the plan was, highly doubtful it was planned to detonate in the back of a taxi the way it did.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #142 on: November 15, 2021, 02:45:12 pm »
Thankful that nothing worse came of this, and what remarkable bravery from that taxi driver.

It’s terrifying really, my mum and dad once worked there. 
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: November 15, 2021, 03:11:38 pm »

You are correct.  I fully admit I'm biased when a part of me wonders if this was considered a lower priority because it was "only" Liverpool. But it could well be the choice of date and target was deliberate in the belief the authorities would be focused on London. 

These people love a soft target, and the optics of babies being blown up on Remembrance Sunday would have been hideous for the government.

Popcorn's Art

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: November 15, 2021, 03:14:27 pm »

I'm aware of that mate, I'm just talking in general about what a bomb would normally do to a car. Obviously the position of the bomb within the vehicle and its size will dictate the physics of the explosion and the damage ultimately done.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: November 15, 2021, 03:18:28 pm »
An Anti abortion crank! That’s some mad shout. The 3 arrested in Kenny had only moved in within the last couple of week.

Very worrying that it seems the intended target was the woman's, not that it makes it more palatable if it was the Anglican and the service. “Normal” folk just can’t comprehend how anyone can be so fucked up that they believe this type of shit is warranted. Be that Muslim, Christian or any other religious extremist, the IRA, ETA or any other extremist “Organisation”.

Utter Scum and I only wish that a Hell did exist and these fucks were tortured for all existence.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #146 on: November 15, 2021, 03:21:53 pm »
Mayor really is uesless.

"Joanne Anderson, the mayor of Liverpool, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme the driver involved prevented an "awful disaster" through heroic actions.

She said it was known he had got out of the car and locked the doors before the explosion happened - but she did not want to get drawn into further speculation."

I've seen the CCTV as it's on the BBC website and, unless there's something that isn't obviously apparent, the car is still (just) in motion when the bomb goes off. So he certainly hadn't got out of the car and locked the doors before the explosion happened. He may well have locked the doors internally if he saw something which caused him concern.

It's utterly irresponsible for an elected official to be saying things which are demonstrably false at this time.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #147 on: November 15, 2021, 03:23:21 pm »
All depends on timing, the road he would have been going down he can't turn around just got to drive to that roundabout bit. Might have only been as he was approaching the entrance he realised and locked the car.
Rutland Avenue to the Womens' Hospital is a very short journey. My guess is the driver only sussed the bomber out virtually on arrival, and then it was too late to do more than he did do in preventing carnage.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: November 15, 2021, 03:24:36 pm »
The thought of someone walking into a maternity ward wearing a suicide vest is chilling. But if they've been conditioned to believe the US and UK routinely blow up hospitals in the ME (for example) and regularly bomb weddings or sell arms to regimes that will use them to kill and maim women and children, then an attack of this kind seems quite plausible to me. I can easily see how someone could view this as a target and make people feel the pain and suffering others abroad endure.

We'll just have to wait until we know more unfortunately.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 03:26:16 pm by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2021, 03:31:36 pm »
The thought of someone walking into a maternity ward wearing a suicide vest is chilling. But if they've been conditioned to believe the US and UK routinely blow up hospitals in the ME (for example) and regularly bomb weddings or sell arms to regimes that will use them to kill and maim women and children, then an attack of this kind seems quite plausible to me. I can easily see how someone could view this as a target and make people feel the pain and suffering others abroad endure.

We'll just have to wait until we know more unfortunately.

Thats well put. I assumed the target would be the cathedral but when you put it like that, that is a frightening thought, that someone can think to bomb a maternity hospital.

Taxi driver sounds like an absolute hero if what I hear is true, in that he locked the guy in the taxi when he saw the bomb

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2021, 03:32:04 pm »
Possible, but I put it down more to the fact it was known straight away the exact address the bomber was picked up at. It will have been on Delta's system and given to police immediately. Response would then be swift. This fact, and any info the driver gave immediately afterwards would have given security services a real head start with their investigation.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2021, 03:35:43 pm »

I've seen the CCTV as it's on the BBC website and, unless there's something that isn't obviously apparent, the car is still (just) in motion when the bomb goes off. So he certainly hadn't got out of the car and locked the doors before the explosion happened. He may well have locked the doors internally if he saw something which caused him concern.

It's utterly irresponsible for an elected official to be saying things which are demonstrably false at this time.

Don't cabs have the option to lock the back doors?  In fact don't cars in general have this as a safety feature?

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2021, 03:40:32 pm »
Mayor really is uesless.

It's mad isn't it? That was the rumour being circulated on social media yesterday. Johnson has also said similar.

Be quite interesting if the cabbie comes out and goes - I didn't have a clue what was happening

Obviously it still might be true that the cabbie knew and we don't know the full details. Still a strange thing for the Mayor to say.
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2021, 03:41:39 pm »
Don't cabs have the option to lock the back doors?  In fact don't cars in general have this as a safety feature?

It was a private hire not a Hackney. So just a "normal" car. No reason why say the child lock wasn't on though
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2021, 03:42:53 pm »
The target of a maternity/women's hospital is as abhorrent as targeting any venue personally. I don't know what it says about me, but if you're involved in this sort of sick and twisted world anyone is a "target" why not a hospital?

They are vermin and don't think like the rest of the world. Thankfully it's only the sick twat who's lost their life.

Online stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: November 15, 2021, 03:43:23 pm »

Yeah, child locks.

If that was a black cab, was it the shield between the driver and the back seats that probably saved him - a bit of protection from the blast??

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2021, 03:44:37 pm »
Yeah, it's unclear whether they've just pieced everything together off one phonecall.

But that's one of the factors that make this kind of terrorism so terrifying. They don't have to be professional. They don't have to be super careful in order to escape to fight another day. They don't have to be too concerned about covering their tracks. All they need is the knowledge of how to assemble an improvised explosive device and where to source the ingredients.

Just taking apart the kinds of fireworks on sale at this time of year and using that and other easily sourced materials can see you manufacturing something pretty dangerous. A single firework can take a hand off.

If you intend your attack to be a one way ticket anyway, being professional is unnecessary. What evidence you leave behind doesn't concern you. All that matters to the perpetrator is effective detonation and casualty figures. The scary thing is, anyone with a messed up ideology and access to the internet can be that person.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2021, 03:46:15 pm »
Yeah, child locks.

If that was a black cab, was it the shield between the driver and the back seats that probably saved him - a bit of protection from the blast??

Wasn't a black cab it was a Delta.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: November 15, 2021, 03:46:21 pm »
Bit mad that I've only just this minute heard about this. Am in London but have family still in Liverpool, and while I'm not a news watched I pick up the latest stuff pretty quick from the odd bit of social media and catching front pages of the free papers.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2021, 03:46:29 pm »
Yeah, child locks.

It wasn't a black cab, it was a private hire. Astonishing to think he walked away relatively unscathed, even if (as has been suggested) that the bomb didn't go off as intended.