Author Topic: Dune ( 2021 Film)  (Read 13042 times)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Re: Dune ( 2021 Film)
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2021, 12:41:32 pm »
Planning on seeing this at the cinema with my daughters, but one's told me that she's been told that it'll make little sense if you're not familiar with the story/books.

Is this true? I've never read any of the books, only seen snippets of previous film/TV attempts. The girls, nothing.

Would we be able to just enjoy it as a film and understand it without it seeming overly complicated?

You can watch it without reading the books. The first film is easy to follow even if you have no idea what the story is.

Just keep in mind it's a series of films.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2021, 12:49:43 pm »
Planning on seeing this at the cinema with my daughters, but one's told me that she's been told that it'll make little sense if you're not familiar with the story/books.

Is this true? I've never read any of the books, only seen snippets of previous film/TV attempts. The girls, nothing.

Would we be able to just enjoy it as a film and understand it without it seeming overly complicated?

Echo what Chakan posted.  First movie I've seen in months,  didn't check any previews / trailers, wasn't au fait with the Dune universe...

Found the movie very clear in its storyline,  narrative. Won't say more for fear of spoiling,  I enjoyed it. 

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2021, 12:56:52 pm »

you'll be fine. and if not, it's just bloody beautiful to look at anyway :D
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2021, 01:02:08 pm »

Not sure why she's been told that, it's a straight forward plot. There are points of intrigue which either slowly unfold or are left for the sequels, but nothing is dependant on knowing the source material.

I'd make some throwaway comment about the younger generation and their attention span but I'm better than that.
:D

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2021, 01:32:36 pm »

The books are nowhere near as complicated as some people make out.

I think a lot of it is down to current 'dumbing down' of absolutely everything.

The complexity and wordiness of the plot and descriptions is fairly standard for most meaty books created in the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Reading it again, it's actually a lot more accessible than I remember (But I was about 35 years younger last time I read it)

There are some mind-crushing books out there. You need to keep up with the houses and factions in the book, but it's no more complicated than that.

There is stuff that is happening that they have clearly removed due to brevity, so you'll be fine mate. It's been done very, very well. Lots of time used where it warrants it and plenty of action when it would benefit from it.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2021, 02:12:47 pm »
The books are nowhere near as complicated as some people make out.

I think a lot of it is down to current 'dumbing down' of absolutely everything.

The complexity and wordiness of the plot and descriptions is fairly standard for most meaty books created in the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Reading it again, it's actually a lot more accessible than I remember (But I was about 35 years younger last time I read it)

There are some mind-crushing books out there. You need to keep up with the houses and factions in the book, but it's no more complicated than that.

There is stuff that is happening that they have clearly removed due to brevity, so you'll be fine mate. It's been done very, very well. Lots of time used where it warrants it and plenty of action when it would benefit from it.

Well I've read all the ASOFAI books (so far) without too much of a problem.

Second question: Would I benefit from dropping an acid before watching it?

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2021, 02:23:27 pm »

I tried twice with the audiobook, never even got to a quarter of the way with the novel, i just didn't find the story interesting and zoned out.

Me and the other half just went in like watching a normal film mode at the Cinema, both us were blown away by it, really hope they can do a part 2.

And i just downloaded the Dune audiobook at weekend again ;D, now i'm really wanting to see what happens where the film left left off.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2021, 02:37:50 pm »
If there is one thing this movie does extremely well (and there are many things), it is making the story both deeply engaging to the book fans while also being prefectly accessible for those who know nothing about the universe. There are so many small bits of dialogue and shots that serve a dual purpose - depending on who is watching. For book fans - subtle hints from the book lore, for first time viewers - a nice filler shot. For example the repeated shots of the bull head/matador sculpture are framing the state of mind of Leto as his fate unfolds. He is just like his father, or more so than he wants to admit. Though it's mentioned his father, Paul's grandfather died fighting bulls - it's not expanded on at all. Book fans will remember the story from the book and take a hint, others will have a nice side-shot that fleshes out the scene. Both readings work perfectly. Same goes for Duncan Idaho and the scarab beetle crawling on his hand - shot that gave me the chills as Duncan and Tleilaxu (whose symbol is a beetle), have what one might call 'a serious thing going on'.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2021, 02:38:48 pm »
I tried twice with the audiobook, never even got to a quarter of the way with the novel, i just didn't find the story interesting and zoned out.

You need to find the version narrated by George Guidall.
It's much more immersive than the other versions.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2021, 03:17:14 pm »
You need to find the version narrated by George Guidall.
It's much more immersive than the other versions.
Just checked the one i have and it has multiple voice actors on it, if i zone out on this version then i'll look for the one you mention.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2021, 03:36:10 pm »

Well I've read all the ASOFAI books (so far) without too much of a problem.

Second question: Would I benefit from dropping an acid before watching it?

No, I think you should be fine, but I had a few beers which enhanced the experience a little :)

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2021, 07:57:37 pm »
I was reading that it cost $165m to make that seems cheap in this day and age with all the effects and costumes  etc in it.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2021, 09:36:28 pm »
It was good I guess, I mean, it's not a stand alone film at all is it? It ends
Spoiler
basically mid way through the 2nd act
[close]

Great sci-fi spectacle though. Definitely a "must watch in the cinema" film
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 11:15:03 am by Red Viper or RedViper87 please? Thanks x »

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2021, 08:11:01 am »
I was reading that it cost $165m to make that seems cheap in this day and age with all the effects and costumes  etc in it.
They've done well to keep the costs down. I'm sure No Time To Die cost nearly double and needs to make about $900m in a post-pandemic era to be profitable, it doesn't really have a chance of doing that so I'm grateful for Dune being a cheaper movie to make (somehow!) and thus being able to be a success.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2021, 10:13:15 am »
It was good I guess, I mean, it's not a stand alone film at all is it? It ends
Spoiler
basically mid way through the 2nd act
[close]
°

Great sci-fi spectacle though. Definitely a "must watch in the cinema" film

Well it actually said "Part 1" at the start.

If you were surprised that it wasn't a full film then I guess you went to the shitter at the start?

I was disappointed before I went because I thought there was no way on Earth you could ever do the book justice with one film. As soon as I saw "Part 1" I thought "Fuck me. This might actually be decent after all"

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2021, 10:29:10 am »

If you were surprised that it wasn't a full film then I guess you went to the shitter at the start?

I was disappointed before I went because I thought there was no way on Earth you could ever do the book justice with one film. As soon as I saw "Part 1" I thought "Fuck me. This might actually be decent after all"

I knew it was Part One, but there are plenty of films that are part of a bigger series that work as standalone films. This doesn't at all, it's very much just act one and a bit of act two in the story.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2021, 11:08:48 am »

He didn't express surprise though?

Don't see what there is to argue with his point? I enjoyed it a lot, but it's not denigrating it to say it's not entirely standalone.

I think they deliberately didn't name the film "dune part one" to avoid putting people off. Either way, well worth the investment (especially now the sequel is green-lit)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2021, 11:16:53 am »
I knew it was Part One, but there are plenty of films that are part of a bigger series that work as standalone films. This doesn't at all, it's very much just act one and a bit of act two in the story.

OK, I can see why this might have upset you, but you also probably need to take into account Science Fiction fans that were made up when they saw "Part 1" pop up :)

I have seen Science Fiction classic after Science Fiction classic absolutely butchered by Hollywood and it's nice to see a film given a bit of respect.

Examples of films where the producers and directors should have been fired off to Elbonia are things like Adjustment Bureau, I Robot, Battlefield Earth, Annihilation, Enders Game and the list goes on.

Absolute fucking travesties and nothing like the books.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2021, 11:40:08 am »
It was strange watching some videos of Grace Randolph (beyond the trailer) on youtube a year ago when the first trailer was released she knew nothing about Dune or the story and said Denis Villeneuve should keep his mouth closed about the film and the delay in release and he's lucky he making any films after his other flops.

Now in the reviews, she talks about how good the film is and talks like an expert on the story and saying Denis Villeneuve is the new Christopher  Nolan odd how loads of great reviews and praise for the director  can turn you into a bandwagon jumper

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2021, 11:48:08 am »
They've done well to keep the costs down. I'm sure No Time To Die cost nearly double and needs to make about $900m in a post-pandemic era to be profitable, it doesn't really have a chance of doing that so I'm grateful for Dune being a cheaper movie to make (somehow!) and thus being able to be a success.

I bet they regret not making the films back to back now surely that would have keep the costs down even more over both films and the 2nd film would already in the can and would be on post production to get it ready for a release next year.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2021, 11:57:37 am »
Amazing movie. I knew bugger all about the books, plot etc.

I loved the Blade Runner sequel, so had good vibes about this.

Phenomenal, I’ll go see it again.
We are Liverpool!

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2021, 12:06:01 pm »
I've watched not having read the books and it works absolutely fine on its own.

Yeah I had no knowledge whatsoever. It's not that difficult to follow really once you get used to all the weird names and words like Harkonnen, Fremon and errr, Paul.  ;D

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2021, 05:14:17 pm »
Thought it was great. Hopefully they shot more stuff so an extended version can be released.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2021, 05:26:27 pm »
Thought it was great. Hopefully they shot more stuff so an extended version can be released.

I bet HBOmax would also like that

Online Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2021, 10:07:21 pm »

Dream scenario for me is a series of 8 or so 1-hour long episodes.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 10:09:15 pm by Gili Gulu »
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2021, 10:25:32 am »
Have mixed feelings on it. Know nothing of the books or previous adaptations - blown away by the visuals and some of the setpieces but I can't say I found the character massively engaging. The sound mix, for me, was dreadful, loads of dialogue that was almost impossible to hear because the background music was so bloody loud.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2021, 10:27:13 am »
Have mixed feelings on it. Know nothing of the books or previous adaptations - blown away by the visuals and some of the setpieces but I can't say I found the character massively engaging. The sound mix, for me, was dreadful, loads of dialogue that was almost impossible to hear because the background music was so bloody loud.
the sound will be your cinema.

But I had the same feelings about the book.  To be fair to the book, there’s a load of quasi religious mumbo jumbo mixed in with the main characters, but I still found them to be less than engaging.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2021, 11:34:35 am »
the sound will be your cinema.

But I had the same feelings about the book.  To be fair to the book, there’s a load of quasi religious mumbo jumbo mixed in with the main characters, but I still found them to be less than engaging.

Is that the cinema's fault? Felt like the sound mix to me - seems to be loads of the same complaints online about struggling to hear the dialogue because Zimmer's score was so overpowering.

Happened a few times, but the biggest was when Rebecca Ferguson's character was talking (praying) outside the room where Paul was with the Bene Gesserit leader.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2021, 12:16:55 pm »
I felt all the moments when dialogue was hard to discern were done on purpose. Jessica reciting the Litany against fear, Paul's scene when they are rescuing the harvester crew and some others. It seemed like it was done deliberately at moments when danger was so overwhelming that it was just rising, unstoppably and permanently - plowing through anything in it's path. Pain from the box building up, the worm approaching - both times protagonist is faced with certain death coming hard and fast.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2021, 12:17:48 pm »
Is that the cinema's fault? Felt like the sound mix to me - seems to be loads of the same complaints online about struggling to hear the dialogue because Zimmer's score was so overpowering.

Happened a few times, but the biggest was when Rebecca Ferguson's character was talking (praying) outside the room where Paul was with the Bene Gesserit leader.
i watched a stream and get what you’re on about with regards to the sound. The mixing is quite poor in parts and clashy

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2021, 01:02:42 pm »
You don't know poor sound mixing until you've watched Tenet ;D
:D

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2021, 02:00:04 pm »
;D

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2021, 03:30:33 pm »

Ha, first thing I thought of. I thought Dune was fine although very, very loud. The exact same screen for Tenet was horrendous though.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 11:38:30 am by Livbes »

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2021, 05:33:04 pm »
id heard complaints about the sound beforehand but it was fine for me. i usually watch everything with subtitles at home too.

so maybe its cinema related?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2021, 10:08:24 am »
id heard complaints about the sound beforehand but it was fine for me. i usually watch everything with subtitles at home too.

so maybe its cinema related?

The sound was fine. It was (as another poster said) done deliberately to make the life-threatening scenes disorientating.

I kind of think maybe that these are people who are in their 20s or 30s who have never really watched cinema as it was done in the 70s and 80s.

Things thesedays are dumbed down and watered beyond belief. This was great for me because it was totally in your face and personal.

Awesome to be able to feel like you've actually been to the pictures for a change.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: November 1, 2021, 05:21:40 am »
Incredible film. SO GOOD
You'll Never Walk Alone

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: November 1, 2021, 10:32:18 am »
I love the original Dune but this one blew it out of the water inside 10 minutes. Everything you'd expect from a Villeneuve film, the guy's been an A+ level talent for years now. I do have to agree with the people who say some of the dialogue was difficult to make out though, the music was too high up in the mix. It's like if people were carrying out conversations during the PERP bits of Inception.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: November 1, 2021, 01:45:15 pm »
Downloaded a good copy persuaded the missus to give it a go and it lasted a whole 20/25 minutes before she announced it was shit, so be watching rest on my own. The sound is annoying but that seems to be the way now TV does it as well, needless loud music over key parts.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: November 2, 2021, 01:57:09 pm »
Around 5 minutes in, I knew that I was going to love it. It's just so big and epic. Really took me some place far away, like fantasy is supposed to.  I didn't care that not much happened considering the length. A magical experience. You're missing out if you don't see it in the cinema imo. I know people have their own reasons for that but it's the type of film that you're missing out if you don't get the cinema experience for it, what the big screen is for, magnificent score and everything. If you can get that same feeling at home though, fair play.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: November 2, 2021, 02:02:53 pm »
Personally I knew nothing about the books and had no desire or need to seek any explanations after I saw the film

The fact there wasn't any obvious exposition and you weren't spoonfed anything really added to the immersion for me. I just want to see part 2.