The Liverpool FC Forum > Technology and Science

Windows 11 to invalidate Intel CPUs older than 2017 (not sure about AMD)

<< < (2/11) > >>

ChaChaMooMoo:
Also, this would mean, people would look for alternative OSes. Ubuntu for example.

Or Ryzen would bring out chips that could bypass this BS of a decision.

ScouserAtHeart:
I think Windows 10 support is ending in 2025, towards the end of the year. 7th gen chips will be, what, 9 years old by then? Doesn't sound too harsh.

Plus I'm sure there'll be workarounds for this all over the internet by then. I think they'll backtrack on this decision though personally.

Alf:
I got my laptop in 2016, so was expecting to replace it in the next year anyway. I can recall trying to install Windows 10 on my Toshiba machine purchased in 2009, 4 years ago it was the kiss of death.

Elmo!:
Just to play devils advocate, when you buy Windows (usually with your PC), you pay a one off fee (unless you pay for the ludicrously expensive M365).

MS then provide security updates for that product for years. HAving old hardware makes it harder to keep it secure (no Secure Boot, old TPM). It works out a few quid per year for something you probably use hundreds of hours a year.

I don't think it is that unreasonable from MS. The alternative is they sell you a one off product and then don't provide you with any updates to fix security issues with it.

ChaChaMooMoo:
Thats just being an asshole.

--- Quote ---That potentially rules out millions of existing Windows 10 devices from upgrading to Windows 11 with full support, and even devices like Microsoft’s own Surface Studio 2 which the company is still selling right now for $3,499.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/25/22549725/microsoft-windows-11-cpu-support-tpm-hardware-requirements

--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/surface-studio-2/8sbjxm0m58t4?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

Dive in with Intel® Core™ i7-7820HQ processors, SSD storage for faster file handling, and more graphics memory to handle your workflow and support better gaming, mixed reality, and VR.

The ultimate creative studio. Let your ideas flow with brilliant color, blazing graphics, faster processors, intuitive tools, and a stunning, adjustable 28” display.

Starting from $3,499.99
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version