The Liverpool FC Forum > Liverpool FC Forum

The Indomitable Ibou

<< < (282/302) > >>

thaddeus:

--- Quote from: sinnermichael on May 19, 2022, 01:47:18 pm ---Haha left out of the France squad. Even Varane is ahead of him ffs.

--- End quote ---
That's Deschamps for you.  He drove Laporte into changing his nationality by picking Zouma instead (a slight simplification of the sequence of events ;D).

I think Varane is also their vice-captain so he'll probably always be selected unless injured.  I'm disappointed for Konate but I'm never too bothered when our players get overlooked internationally - less opportunity for something bad to happen.

--- Quote from: Dim Glas on May 19, 2022, 02:16:37 pm ---Deschamps’ reasoning:

"Since he’s been at Liverpool, he’s mostly played in a 4-man defence. And there is competition [in the France team].”

“I brought William [Saliba] last time and he always plays in a back 3. It’s either one or the other, it’s very competitive, and that’s very good – it allows for the veterans to not get too comfortable.”

--- End quote ---
Unless the "veteran" is Varane who's also played in a 4-man defence this season and, unlike Konate, has been dreadful.

newterp:

--- Quote from: thaddeus on May 19, 2022, 02:18:46 pm ---That's Deschamps for you.  He drove Laporte into changing his nationality by picking Zouma instead (a slight simplification of the sequence of events ;D).

I think Varane is also their vice-captain so he'll probably always be selected unless injured.  I'm disappointed for Konate but I'm never too bothered when our players get overlooked internationally - less opportunity for something bad to happen.
Unless the "veteran" is Varane who's also played in a 4-man defence this season and, unlike Konate, has been dreadful.

--- End quote ---

Varane has been dreadful? How? He plays for the Might Man United? Surely that's just unpossible?

Jookie:

--- Quote from: thaddeus on May 19, 2022, 02:18:46 pm ---I think Varane is also their vice-captain so he'll probably always be selected unless injured.

--- End quote ---

When it comes to experienced players, a lot of international managers will pick players based on what they have done for them rather than their club form. As long as they are playing then I think most managers of a national team go with what they know.

I think that changes with younger players and those on the periphery of the squad. I think a lot of national managers pick and choose based on club form in this scenario.

Varane probably fits in that 1st category and Deschamps will view his form this season as a function of United's woes and not necessarily directly linked to Varane's ability or his ability to perform at a high level in a different system with different players for France.

Feel sorry for Konate but it's always going to be hard to break into this French team.

CanuckYNWA:

--- Quote from: sinnermichael on May 19, 2022, 01:47:18 pm ---Haha left out of the France squad. Even Varane is ahead of him ffs.

--- End quote ---

Doesnt surprise me, Deschamps is notorious for sticking with his "Favorites" despite others playing better

ac:
Mistimed a few key challenges today - most notably the header for the Wolves goal and that mad tackle in Wolves half which saw them counterattack us with 2 our our places vs. 4 of theres. Need the experience of Matip to start against Madrid next to Van Dijk please

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version