Author Topic: HBO/Sky Atlantic - Succession  (Read 44139 times)

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
Re: HBO/Sky Atlantic - Succession
« Reply #160 on: December 2, 2021, 09:58:34 am »
Agree but I think that's where striking out on its own is a potential future storyline maybe with some merit. How much of what we've seen from Kendall is a function of his relationship with Logan? If he does go his own way it'd be really instructive.

But where does all that paranoia, destructive behaviour go to? They just box that back up again and he goes back to crushing it? Or do you think he branches out and it’s a car crash?

Just can’t quite get my head around how he steps out of this. Maybe rehab ha!

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: December 2, 2021, 10:09:33 am »
Spoiler
The most powerful and maybe natural progression would be Kendall dying. He is at his lowest point, realising he can't 'go home' and knowing that his future at Waystar is over. He's also a drug addict, so it isn't hard to envision an overdose, whether intentional or otherwise. That, for me, is maybe the most authentic way this story can go. It'd also open up a lot of interesting stuff for the remaining characters - Logan having lost his son, maybe seeing a deeper emotion from him which he'd no doubt cover with talk of Kendall's weakness. The remaining siblings, feeling more adrift because their regular foil - and someone they do actually love - is gone.

I just don't think they'll do that because Jeremy Strong is so good as Kendall and he's so integral to the show.
[close]

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: December 2, 2021, 10:26:52 am »
Spoiler
That poor waiter's body is going to come back to haunt Kendall. I just wonder how Logan will separate himself from the coverup.

Delusional messiah Kendall has been interesting to watch because he always seemed the most grounded of all the kids, maybe alongside Shiv. I really enjoyed the last episode and this season overall but I can understand the criticism. It's probably down to the premise of the show too and I can't see past two more series at best.
[close]

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: December 2, 2021, 10:28:31 am »
Spoiler
The most powerful and maybe natural progression would be Kendall dying. He is at his lowest point, realising he can't 'go home' and knowing that his future at Waystar is over. He's also a drug addict, so it isn't hard to envision an overdose, whether intentional or otherwise. That, for me, is maybe the most authentic way this story can go. It'd also open up a lot of interesting stuff for the remaining characters - Logan having lost his son, maybe seeing a deeper emotion from him which he'd no doubt cover with talk of Kendall's weakness. The remaining siblings, feeling more adrift because their regular foil - and someone they do actually love - is gone.

I just don't think they'll do that because Jeremy Strong is so good as Kendall and he's so integral to the show.
[close]

Spoiler
Have had a feeling there could be a death coming too. Logan maybe either - he's been slightly sidelined this series, and is clearly in bits.   

Agree they'll need to pull the trigger at some point. I think they are aware of that too. So this has maybe been a holding season before it all properly kicks off. 
[close]
« Last Edit: December 2, 2021, 10:30:38 am by Chip Evans »

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: December 2, 2021, 10:28:41 am »
Shiv dancing was a highlight ;D

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #165 on: December 2, 2021, 10:32:24 am »
I'm genuinely amazed at people criticising the show for not progressing much. For me this has never really been a plot-centric show. When you actually think back to seasons 1 and 2, there wasn't a whole lot of actual plot that progressed there either. The strength of this show for me is the main core characters and their relationships with each other and in that sense I think the show keeps going from strength to strength.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: December 2, 2021, 10:37:41 am »
I'm genuinely amazed at people criticising the show for not progressing much. For me this has never really been a plot-centric show. When you actually think back to seasons 1 and 2, there wasn't a whole lot of actual plot that progressed there either. The strength of this show for me is the main core characters and their relationships with each other and in that sense I think the show keeps going from strength to strength.

Jesse Armstrong has said himself that the name of the show, Succession, comes with a built in promise. So it will happen at some point.  And Brian Cox has said he only sees a couple more series max too. It'll be a sad day when it ends though. It's so good. 

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: December 2, 2021, 10:48:49 am »

I totally agree, the plot is largely irrelevant to me. I just want to see these characters in awful situations chatting shit to each other  ;D

And on Logan potentially dying, it was the original plan to kill him off at the end of Season 1 so it's not out of the realms of possibility that they do it sometime soon. I think something huge is lost if they do that though, the best part of the show is often the interactions between him and the kids, and his looks of disdain at them. But Logan casts a long shadow, and he'll haunt those kids long after he's gone. It's a bit like Tony and Livia in the Sopranos, she was only physically present in the first two seasons but continued to be in Tony's head the rest of the show.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: December 2, 2021, 10:57:39 am »
Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
Yes, it feels like Ken this season has been trying to drown out the voice in his head telling him to kill himself. Certainly in the last episode "I wish I was.....home". But I just don't see them going there, as black as it is, it's still a comedy, and I think that might be too dark. Not to mention he's the best character in the show!
[close]
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #169 on: December 6, 2021, 03:46:46 am »
"Matsson's a visionary."

"Sure, because he's tripping balls."
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: December 6, 2021, 08:37:00 am »
Fucking hell Roman...

Now, that's an episode.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: December 6, 2021, 01:36:47 pm »
Really fascinating profile of Jeremy Strong. He sounds, quite frankly, really hard to work with and you don't get the impression he's particularly popular with other cast members. But his acting approach certainly gets results.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/12/13/on-succession-jeremy-strong-doesnt-get-the-joke

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #172 on: December 6, 2021, 07:24:39 pm »
wow that was intense... and the ending...what the hell?

Spoiler
I couldn't stop laughing when Roman sent the dick pic because I noticed on his phone straight away that it said 'Dad' hahahahah holy fuck
[close]
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #173 on: December 7, 2021, 12:55:37 am »
wow that was intense... and the ending...what the hell?

Spoiler
I couldn't stop laughing when Roman sent the dick pic because I noticed on his phone straight away that it said 'Dad' hahahahah holy fuck
[close]

Spoiler
Same :lmao
[close]

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #174 on: December 7, 2021, 09:15:17 am »
There's definitely a death coming, but who?

Spoiler
Still don't think prison has gone away. The investigation was wrapped up too quickly and neatly, but maybe that's the cynical point about how these people get away with it.
[close]
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: December 7, 2021, 11:06:32 am »
There's definitely a death coming, but who?

Spoiler
It can only be Logan or Kendall, I think. Anything else isn't really narratively satisfying. Logan is the obvious one. His health problems have really been front and centre this episode, so him finally going makes a lot of sense. They wanted to do it in Season 1, so they may feel the time is right. It would be perfect timing - not one of the kids is well positioned at this point, so there'd be chaos in the aftermath.

And of course, the show is literally about succession, so he has to die or be incapacitated at some point. If it happens now, you could have two more seasons of the fight for control before the show concludes. Would miss Brian Cox though, whose presence is just everywhere in the show.

Kendall, on the other hand, probably feels the most natural for me. It feels like his story has reached a natural end, and there's no way back for him while Logan's still there. Of course, if Logan dies then we could see him make a comeback.
[close]

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: December 7, 2021, 12:12:44 pm »
Spoiler
It can only be Logan or Kendall, I think. Anything else isn't really narratively satisfying. Logan is the obvious one. His health problems have really been front and centre this episode, so him finally going makes a lot of sense. They wanted to do it in Season 1, so they may feel the time is right. It would be perfect timing - not one of the kids is well positioned at this point, so there'd be chaos in the aftermath.

And of course, the show is literally about succession, so he has to die or be incapacitated at some point. If it happens now, you could have two more seasons of the fight for control before the show concludes. Would miss Brian Cox though, whose presence is just everywhere in the show.

Kendall, on the other hand, probably feels the most natural for me. It feels like his story has reached a natural end, and there's no way back for him while Logan's still there. Of course, if Logan dies then we could see him make a comeback.
[close]

Spoiler
I was wondering if Tom could make the list, Shiv is slowly beating him into submission and the recent episode just felt like it could be a push too far. I guess the problem there is that the main characters are so uncaring that a side act like Tom dying probably wouldn't really have much impact, unless it took hold in the media and reinvigorated the investigation, but that story seems dead now.
[close]

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: December 7, 2021, 12:37:46 pm »
Spoiler
I'm wondering if the ending to this season will be Ken, having reached rock bottom, torpedoing himself and his dad/Waystar by confessing to the kid's death and his dad's cover up
[close]
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #178 on: December 7, 2021, 03:00:26 pm »
Spoiler
I'm wondering if the ending to this season will be Ken, having reached rock bottom, torpedoing himself and his dad/Waystar by confessing to the kid's death and his dad's cover up
[close]

Spoiler
It came up for reason, for sure. Maybe the reference to a podcast too was not an accident. I did see a similar theory to yours - maybe Kendall on this podcast goes nuclear.

But doesn’t that mean the two of them in prison? Not sure what satisfaction comes from losing both characters.
[close]

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: December 7, 2021, 04:49:19 pm »
Spoiler
It came up for reason, for sure. Maybe the reference to a podcast too was not an accident. I did see a similar theory to yours - maybe Kendall on this podcast goes nuclear.

But doesn’t that mean the two of them in prison? Not sure what satisfaction comes from losing both characters.
[close]

Spoiler
Kendall probably thinks this will be hung over him the rest of his life, either by his father, or those who cleared up the evidence.

From this weeks episode he knows he can't take control of the company whether his father's there or not, and just wants to completely breakaway.

Kendall breaking the story himself is the best possible cause of action for him. He can say what happened, and that without his knowledge his father covered the whole thing up. Which would surely be the death knell for Logans career, and could potentially topple waystar itself.
[close]
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: December 7, 2021, 05:35:35 pm »
Spoiler
Kendall testing his dad's two minute theory at the end?
[close]

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: December 7, 2021, 07:56:42 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
That's what I think. Total distraction that it looks like he's drowning.
[close]

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: December 8, 2021, 12:15:28 am »
Unbelievable episode. Where to begin. Shiv and her Mum. Tom and Shiv. Roman in general ;D it was just too class from start to finish and beautiful location.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #183 on: December 8, 2021, 12:16:44 pm »
Really fascinating profile of Jeremy Strong. He sounds, quite frankly, really hard to work with and you don't get the impression he's particularly popular with other cast members. But his acting approach certainly gets results.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/12/13/on-succession-jeremy-strong-doesnt-get-the-joke
That's absolutely fascinating -- so much of Kendall seems to have already been in Jeremy!
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: December 8, 2021, 12:38:13 pm »
That's absolutely fascinating -- so much of Kendall seems to have already been in Jeremy!

Yeah, it's a brilliant piece. He sounds absolutely insufferable and tedious, when I get the impression the rest of the cast is fairly fun and loose. Comes across as so, so driven - the lengths he went to to get time with Pacino, Hoffman and Day Lewis, for example.

Had to laugh at the story about him walking around the set of The Judge wailing because they were filming a funeral scene, even though he wasn't required on set that day  ;D Or wanting to be hit with real tear gas on the set of The Trial of the Chicago 7, only for Aaron Sorkin to explain that he wasn't going to poison the cast!

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #185 on: December 8, 2021, 12:55:12 pm »
Yeah, it's a brilliant piece. He sounds absolutely insufferable and tedious, when I get the impression the rest of the cast is fairly fun and loose. Comes across as so, so driven - the lengths he went to to get time with Pacino, Hoffman and Day Lewis, for example.

Had to laugh at the story about him walking around the set of The Judge wailing because they were filming a funeral scene, even though he wasn't required on set that day  ;D Or wanting to be hit with real tear gas on the set of The Trial of the Chicago 7, only for Aaron Sorkin to explain that he wasn't going to poison the cast!
He sounds like one of those people you pray you don't make eye contact with at the bar. He'd be a great character in Seinfeld to annoy Jerry.

But in all seriousness, thank god he is insufferable because it's played beautifully into the plot of this season. And thank god he didn't get the part of Roman -- the casting of him and Kendall seem to be the most perfect ever.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #186 on: December 9, 2021, 06:57:37 pm »
Fuck Shiv.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: December 9, 2021, 07:20:11 pm »
Fuck Shiv.

This. Of all of the **** kids she's the worst because it's all so calculated. I actually root for Tom.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #188 on: December 9, 2021, 07:25:22 pm »
This. Of all of the **** kids she's the worst because it's all so calculated. I actually root for Tom.

I posted that before I'd finished the latest episode, holy fuck Kieran Culkin's acting there was one of the funniest things I've ever seen :lmao

Also yeah, I do kind of root for Tom. She's a fantastic character though, Sarah Snook is boss.

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #189 on: December 9, 2021, 08:38:09 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

Yep.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: December 9, 2021, 08:55:42 pm »
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: December 10, 2021, 07:22:15 am »
Don't open Pandora's Box - there's just more dicks in it  :lmao

Watched it late this week. Best episode of anything I've seen in ages. Poor Tom though

Was line after line after line.

A man dying of thirst has suddenly become a mineral water connoisseur!

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: December 10, 2021, 08:31:43 am »
Don't open Pandora's Box - there's just more dicks in it  :lmao

Watched it late this week. Best episode of anything I've seen in ages. Poor Tom though

Was line after line after line.

A man dying of thirst has suddenly become a mineral water connoisseur!

Logan on not knowing who he's dealing with:

Because I can win any bout with a boxer f*ck, but I don't know how to knock out a clown.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: December 10, 2021, 09:17:34 am »
Logan on not knowing who he's dealing with:

Because I can win any bout with a boxer f*ck, but I don't know how to knock out a clown.

Spoiler
The whole sit down with his Kendall and feeding the mozzarella to Iverson too. Man, he is hell bent on torturing Ken.

I reckon the theory above that Kendall is going to go on that podcast and confess might have something to it.  It's almost the only move he has if they won't let him divest. There's no way he's killed himself - the show isn't nearly done with chewing him up yet. I'll eat my hat if he has.   

Still team Tom. I think he'll end up winning.

Mad into Shiv getting the shiv out on Geri and Roman.

They've ruined Greg in this series tho. He's not even that funny anymore - just a punch bag for other people's lines.
[close]

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: December 10, 2021, 09:30:15 am »
Spoiler
The whole sit down with his Kendall and feeding the mozzarella to Iverson too. Man, he is hell bent on torturing Ken.

I reckon the theory above that Kendall is going to go on that podcast and confess might have something to it.  It's almost the only move he has if they won't let him divest. There's no way he's killed himself - the show isn't nearly done with chewing him up yet. I'll eat my hat if he has.   

Still team Tom. I think he'll end up winning.

Mad into Shiv getting the shiv out on Geri and Roman.

They've ruined Greg in this series tho. He's not even that funny anymore - just a punch bag for other people's lines.
[close]
Spoiler
Greg is going to be the abused wife who comes back to bite them all on the ass. All the weak characters in this show don't last long.
[close]
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: December 10, 2021, 11:15:50 am »
Definitely getting up early to watch this on Monday morning. Never a show I mind having spoiled, as it's not the most plot driven, but it feels that something's going to down in the finale.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: December 10, 2021, 03:00:59 pm »
Spoiler
I think Kendall drowned and Shiv will carry on his fight but for different reasons
[close]

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: December 10, 2021, 05:22:38 pm »
I like Gregg this season, I think he's risen to a point where he's comfortable from a wealth perspective, has little actual work to do and knows that progressing higher is fraught with problems. He seems happy to dodge the tough stuff and just coast, and it's fun seeing how much his happiness gets to Tom.

Online A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: December 13, 2021, 07:58:27 am »
Fucking hell that episode was absolute genius, best hours television i've watched for quite some time......epic stuff

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: December 13, 2021, 09:43:57 am »
Holy fuck, that was incredible.

Spoiler
Just beautiful, beautiful stuff. Ken, Shiv and Roman finally uniting - that scene with Ken confessing about the waiter was all kinds of amazing. And Logan still winning, all because of Tom.

Sets Season 4 up beautifully, with the three kids on the outside and Logan/Tom/Greg on the inside with GoJo. Although I think this would arguably have been a perfect ending for the show overall.

Can't begin to tell you how pleased I am that nobody died though. I thought they'd go there with Logan - him downing health drinks felt like a sign of impending doom, and there was so many shots of him climbing steps that a heart attack felt inevitable. But the show is so much better with him in it.
[close]
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 09:51:27 am by Barefoot Doctor »