Author Topic: Dominic Solanke  (Read 9488 times)

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Dominic Solanke
« on: July 13, 2020, 03:45:44 pm »
Finally get's off the mark for Bournemouth in the league! I quite liked him in his first season with us. Thought he showed that he has the ingredients to be a decent player, made a difference off the bench, and was superb on the final day of the season against Brighton when he played alongside Salah, Mane and Firmino instead of a reserve team. Thought at the end of that season he should have gone on loan to a top Championship side and built his confidence as a goalscorer in senior football. Surprised Bournemouth paid so much for him 6 months later but still backed him too do well there. Hopefully Sunday is the start of him bevelling in himself a bit more. The second goal maybe an indicator that he will.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
Re: Dominic Solanke
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 04:05:53 pm »
He has all the ability to be a very good striker, he just can't seem to be able to put it all together yet. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he's bit of a late bloomer.

Went looking him up, he's only turning 23 in September, still loads of time to fulfil his potential.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 04:21:26 pm »
The man is an xGoal machine!

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 04:49:37 pm »
I hope he comes good. Still only young so he has plenty of time on his hands.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 05:37:09 pm »
It was amazing seeing how his self-belief rose after the first goal, confidence is one of the football's most important characteristics for the majority of players especially young ones like him. I really hope he manages to put a run together now.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 05:42:39 pm »
Only took him 60 Premier League games to overtake Asmir Begović Premier League goal tally.  ;D

He should have ideally spent this season at a Championship club, he's struggled massively this season.   
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 03:53:20 pm »
4 goals in 7 now. Found his level?

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 04:31:05 pm »
There is a really talented player in there. Happy for him.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 04:40:37 pm »
There is a really talented player in there. Happy for him.
Same.

Always liked him - he never got that bit of luck to help him to the next level

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 05:09:13 pm »
Same.

Always liked him - he never got that bit of luck to help him to the next level

A year or two being prolific in the Championship and he'll be back to the PL in no time. Still really young for a goalscorer. Should really dominate that league with his ability and physique.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 10:42:22 pm »
Can easily see him becoming one of the perennial "too good for the Championship, not good enough for the PL players" - which is still a bloody good career. Pleased he's found his level for now and is doing well, always put a shift in for us and was delighted when he smashed his goal against Brighton.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 11:28:20 pm »
Crazy that we got £20m for him,even crazier that we only got the same for Danny.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 11:06:56 pm »
5 in 5 for him now

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2021, 07:52:06 am »
5 in 5 for him now
Great news, I'm always happy to hear of ex players doing well at their new clubs.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2021, 12:09:41 pm »
Great news, I'm always happy to hear of ex players doing well at their new clubs.

I second this emotion.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2021, 02:01:20 pm »
Agree with both of you. Happy to see him do well and hopefully eventually he’ll get himself back into the top flight

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2021, 12:01:29 am »
Agree with both of you. Happy to see him do well and hopefully eventually he’ll get himself back into the top flight

They look like they’ll be right in the mix, it’s early but Fulham look good to win the league.  Speaking of ex reds doing well Harry Wilson scored again midweek, nice one on the break. For Bournemouth it’s fun to watch Solanke lead the line but their LB is like a Livramento, he’s on fire and worth price of admission.

One of the benefits of streaming services takeover is the freedom to watch championship from the states after a decade plus of fox soccer saying nah we would rather show nascar practice.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2021, 11:49:52 am »
Don't doubt he'll be in the premier league again one day. I think around the time we signed him that's really where he should have been. I could have seen him go the way of Tammy Abraham if he'd just had those couple of years in the championship then. Will probably score his best tally this season.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2021, 07:46:06 pm »
10 goals already this season in the Championship, Bournemouth six clear at the top. Good to see he's found his feet there and I'd fancy him to be back in the prem next season, hopefully scoring a few goals

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 1, 2021, 11:58:41 am »
10 goals already this season in the Championship, Bournemouth six clear at the top. Good to see he's found his feet there and I'd fancy him to be back in the prem next season, hopefully scoring a few goals

12 in 16 games now. If they go back up there's nothing extra for us, however we would still get 20% of any profit they make if they on-sell him.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 5, 2021, 04:26:01 pm »
My local team, so it's nice to see him doing well.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #21 on: November 6, 2021, 05:49:27 pm »
Another brace today. Think he'll finish this season with a big tally and get promoted.

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 6, 2021, 06:01:26 pm »
13 goals in 17 appearances. Finally finding his feet as a goalscorer in senior football.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2021, 01:12:28 pm »
One goal away from matching last season's tally, in 25 games less. Whilst I think Fulham will charge Bournemouth down, it's good to see him doing well and I reckon they'll come up automatically. It's easy to forget Solanke's only just turned 24, he's essentially in the final year of typical improvement in Strikers before they hit a 4-6 year peak.

He will end up with an Ings-like career I think, hopefully not the injuries, but a reliable Premier League goalscorer who maybe gets a few England caps and represents top-10 Premier League teams. There's talk Howe wants him at Newcastle.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2021, 01:14:21 pm »
When he was struggling here, I do remember a bit of talk about how strikers of his ilk tend to really get into their stride around their mid-20s, similar to Drogba.  Good for him.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2021, 01:16:20 pm »
One goal away from matching last season's tally, in 25 games less. Whilst I think Fulham will charge Bournemouth down, it's good to see him doing well and I reckon they'll come up automatically. It's easy to forget Solanke's only just turned 24, he's essentially in the final year of typical improvement in Strikers before they hit a 4-6 year peak.

He will end up with an Ings-like career I think, hopefully not the injuries, but a reliable Premier League goalscorer who maybe gets a few England caps and represents top-10 Premier League teams. There's talk Howe wants him at Newcastle.

So about the same age as Calvert-Lewin.

Just hope Brewster's career takes off soon.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2021, 09:03:29 pm »
is a goal machine this season
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2021, 03:28:24 pm »
is a goal machine this season
His goal last night has given him his career best tally and we're not even at Christmas. He'll bag 25 league goals this season. It'd be a golden boot for him if Mitrovic and Fulham weren't so goal happy.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #28 on: December 3, 2021, 10:29:49 pm »
Took his goal brilliantly tonight just a few seconds into the second half. Premier League football awaits again for Solanke soon ...

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 6, 2021, 05:02:55 pm »
Have we got a buy back clause? I was always one of his biggest fans to my detriment. Those xG numbers were great  ;D

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 6, 2021, 09:50:23 pm »
Why did we sell him knowing that AFCON was coming this year? Foolish.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2022, 11:29:40 am »
Gone a touch undiscussed given Mitrovic's obscene goal haul, but Solanke's put together a quality season at Bournemouth and has been a major reason for their position at present - poised for automatic promotion.

He has 26 goals so far, with 5 left to play, 14 behind Mitrovic but 5 ahead of Brereton Diaz. That's an amount that wins or shares the Golden Boot in 13 of the last 20 seasons.

He'll likely stay at Bournemouth and lead the line for them in the Premier League next season and I think that's the last he'll see of the Championship for quite some time, regardless of Bournemouth's fortunes. He's maybe not become the World Class player we envisioned but he's certainly physical, showcases good movement and is a quality finisher. Klopp certainly saw something in him and that's coming to the fore now.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2022, 12:25:57 pm »
Was surprised when he moved as Klopp seemed to like him and give him a fair few minutes. Always thought he’d turn into a decent pl level striker.

I assume we have some sort of buy back clause, be interesting to see if it’s something we do look at if he comes up and continues impressing next season. He’s clearly not at our level but still young enough and good enough for Klopp to perhaps think he can still mould him into a proper player.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2022, 12:29:40 pm »
Was surprised when he moved as Klopp seemed to like him and give him a fair few minutes. Always thought he’d turn into a decent pl level striker.

I assume we have some sort of buy back clause, be interesting to see if it’s something we do look at if he comes up and continues impressing next season. He’s clearly not at our level but still young enough and good enough for Klopp to perhaps think he can still mould him into a proper player.

Almost certainly, and almost certainly never likely to be used. He's 25 in September, obviously not a grandad but considering that's generally the sort of age we sign first team players at he's way, way off the sort of level he'd need to be at.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2022, 12:32:49 pm »
Didn’t realise he’d be 25 heading into next season, thought he was a couple of years younger than that for some reason.

Still nice to see him doing well, will likely get a bigger move at some point and hopefully we also have a sell on clause and pick up some change from that then!
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2022, 11:27:05 pm »
Didn’t realise he’d be 25 heading into next season, thought he was a couple of years younger than that for some reason.

Still nice to see him doing well, will likely get a bigger move at some point and hopefully we also have a sell on clause and pick up some change from that then!

Good player but not one that suits the way we play, good luck to him
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2022, 02:57:31 pm »
We have a 20% total fee sell-on clause (not profit as reported by some outlets), so if he did make the England squad and Bournemouth flog him for £40m+, we'd have a nice little pay day. Can't find anything about a buyback. Mad considering given the initial fee and add ons, Bournemouth have ended up paying us £24m for Solanke. Based on his record since, he probably isn't worth all that much more than that despite his excellent record in the Championship.

Amazing bit of business really, make £24m profit, Cherries flog him to Villa or Brighton for £40m, we make another £8m on him.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 02:59:10 pm by Drinks Sangria »

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2023, 05:30:22 pm »
Solanke scored a hat trick against 4th from the bottom Nottingham Forest, scoring twice in 7 minutes, then for his 3rd in the 4th minute of stoppage time for all 3 points in the 2-3 win.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67735454

Origi played on the losing side.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 05:32:02 pm by zabadoh »
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline masher

• Legacy Fan
  • hippie at heart
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2023, 07:58:34 pm »
We have a 20% total fee sell-on clause (not profit as reported by some outlets), so if he did make the England squad and Bournemouth flog him for £40m+, we'd have a nice little pay day. Can't find anything about a buyback. Mad considering given the initial fee and add ons, Bournemouth have ended up paying us £24m for Solanke. Based on his record since, he probably isn't worth all that much more than that despite his excellent record in the Championship.

Amazing bit of business really, make £24m profit, Cherries flog him to Villa or Brighton for £40m, we make another £8m on him.

At this rate he might go for 80 mil if Ivan Tony is being touted at 100 mil, surely big Dom is worth 80.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2023, 09:31:33 pm »
Pleased for him, a good player whom a mate of mine was bizarrely using in a disparaging "even [player's name] scored" context just a few weeks ago. Don't expect we'll see much of that any more.