Poll

Just curious about the impact Covid-19 is having

I work in the UK and normally work from home
30 (17.8%)
I work in the UK and don't normally work from home but have started  to \ expect to by April
80 (47.3%)
I work in the UK and working from home isn't an option
33 (19.5%)
I live but don't work in the UK
0 (0%)
I don't live in the UK
26 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 169

Voting closed: March 23, 2020, 02:56:14 pm

Author Topic: Working From Home  (Read 162618 times)

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
Working from home?
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2020, 04:53:16 pm »
My first full day today.  Got laptop and phone set up yesterday.

It's okay, but I miss company.  Also got to remember to stick to a work routine, felt like having a lie down (because I could) at lunchtime but resisted the urge and ironed a shirt.

Anyone else now on home leave?
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
Re: Working from home?
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2020, 04:56:52 pm »
Day 2.

And the boredom hasn't set in yet.
Though my wife is also wfh, we haven't killed eachother....yet.
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Online stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2020, 04:57:24 pm »

It's okay, but I miss company.  Also got to remember to stick to a work routine, felt like having a lie down (because I could) at lunchtime but resisted the urge and ironed a shirt.

Yeah best tips are to try and keep yourself in as much of a routine as you can. Get a shower and dressed in the morning. Take a lunch, don't have the telly on and try and set yourself up a desk/workspace. Especially valuable to avoid the corona virus news cycle and forums haha!

I'm making an effort to do google hangout meetings so I'm looking at other faces than my missus! (who is 36 weeks pregnant...).

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2020, 05:04:01 pm »
Our boss in a team of about 10 has set up a daily webex call so we can see each other and just chat shit for half an hour which is quite a nice touch. I found out today that if you’re struggling to find pasta anywhere that you can get penis shaped pasta in Ann Summers. :D

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Working From Home
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2020, 05:05:04 pm »
I work in a supermarket, so may I say to a good portion of those who get to work from home:

You lucky bastards.

Feel sorry for you during this - the public are twats at the best of times, I hate to think what you are going through right now. The staff I saw when delivering to a store on Saturday morning looked thorough pissed off and it was only 7am
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2020, 06:14:02 pm »

Doing a day about, so in the office tomorrow. While its not usual, we are allowed to work from home at times (stuck in the 1950s our lot) so I'm used to it. Worst for me is I eat every time I make a coffee, so I'll just get fatter and fatter.

Our boss in a team of about 10 has set up a daily webex call so we can see each other and just chat shit for half an hour which is quite a nice touch. I found out today that if you’re struggling to find pasta anywhere that you can get penis shaped pasta in Ann Summers. :D

Like you didn't already know
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2020, 06:21:23 pm »
I did say it was recommended to be served al dente. Not quite sure how my mainly female team mates felt about that.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2020, 06:37:17 pm »
Working from home tomorrow for the ‘forseeable’ future. My girlfriend and I both live and work together so it’s going to be difficult not to be in each other’s faces constantly. I think I’ll get bored pretty quickly without moving about as much as you do in an office environment.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

• Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2020, 06:42:05 pm »
Working from home tomorrow for the ‘forseeable’ future. My girlfriend and I both live and work together so it’s going to be difficult not to be in each other’s faces constantly. I think I’ll get bored pretty quickly without moving about as much as you do in an office environment.

9 months = baby Keano!

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2020, 07:05:41 pm »
Worked from home today, and the network and infrastructure struggled with the sheer number of people trying to work from home but have managed to get through the day. Concern is that some people won’t have got the message yesterday so still went in to the office and we didn’t see the full brunt today and that tomorrow it will keel over.

Have been asked by my manager to come in just for tomorrow as a favour as it’s year end and we need to do everyone’s ratings and it’s always contentious face to face, and probably wouldn’t work over the phone.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2020, 08:11:32 pm »
Had my first day working from home today, and it was the most productive day I've had in months. No getting pestered by users and having to chop and change between tasks.

Once this is all over, I might see if I can carry on for at least a day or two a week.

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2020, 08:23:10 pm »
Had my first day working from home today, and it was the most productive day I've had in months. No getting pestered by users and having to chop and change between tasks.

Once this is all over, I might see if I can carry on for at least a day or two a week.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2020, 08:43:04 pm »
It's not all upside, working from home.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2020, 08:48:39 pm »
Getting closer over here. We'll try to avoid working from home and go with business as usual. Just preparing at the moment. It's difficult to keep production running with people working from home.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2020, 08:52:04 pm »

By the looks of that he's found a much better use for his time than meetings!  ;D

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2020, 05:01:36 am »
Teacher in an International School in Bali, Indonesia. THings have escalated rapidly here. Last Wednesday the first COVID death was reported. It then came out that the government had been misleading about the stats. Clusters of cases were then reported on, so we decided as a school to make the transition to online teaching. On Friday we told the kids that Tuesday would be their last day in school. Then at the weened things escalated further, the governor of Bali issued a decree that all schools should be closed. So we had to abandon plan A and go straight into online teaching. Been coming to terms with it Mon and Tues, and now a full day of it today.

We have been ordered to work from home until at least April 17th. President has isued social distancing but not lockdown as of yet. Today, they just announced the island is closed to all foreigners for at least one month.
Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2020, 09:18:54 pm »
Feel sorry for you during this - the public are twats at the best of times, I hate to think what you are going through right now. The staff I saw when delivering to a store on Saturday morning looked thorough pissed off and it was only 7am
They've generally been alright to be fair, knowing it's not our fault and that we're not the ones taking the stock.  We had some guy trying to take 30 boxes of paracetamol through the self-scan tills the other day.  One of my colleagues said that it wasn't her trying to limit him, but he wouldn't get through with that many, to which she got "I think you'll find I do what I want, love."

Yeah, 28 boxes of paracetamol to put back on the shelf shortly after, the meff.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2020, 09:28:11 pm »
Yeah, 28 boxes of paracetamol to put back on the shelf shortly after, the meff.

Look on the bright side, at least it wasn't somehting heavy like 28 crates of beer!  ;D

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2020, 10:05:59 pm »

I think the workplace will change after this pandemic. I’ve already switched to 4 days a week. Two days remote work would mean a even better work life balance.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2020, 10:23:13 pm »
I think the workplace will change after this pandemic. I’ve already switched to 4 days a week. Two days remote work would mean a even better work life balance.
I think people will rethink their approach to work generally mate.

The workplace is changing and has been for a while, this will tip it over the edge for the better.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2020, 11:02:11 pm »
My workplace is mad. When I got my last rise (which was years and years ago) I said don't give me the rise, just let me work 4 days a week for my existing salary but they said no. They'd rather have me in for 5 days costing them more money : /

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2020, 11:02:27 pm »
Been working from home for 10 years. Ironically, because of Covid 19 I now have no work. 

I'm going to finish my novel rewrite and try not to think of my impending poverty.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2020, 12:22:53 am »
Top tips when you get bored:

1. Make tea and chop fruit.
2. Do the laundry and ironing
3.Find a good movie, series or podcast to enjoy later
4. Do not reboot your home internet system trying and improve it's efficiency when your partner is on a video-call at the moment they are asked to add their contribution - this negates all the goodwill fostered with 1. through 3.

:P ;D

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2020, 12:44:03 am »
Me and Mrs. rawkus both working from home, whilst I’m happy she’s safe at home she ain’t half starting to piss me off :)
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Online Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2020, 01:30:47 am »
I’m working from home next week it looks like. They’re making me take my office phone with me. Not sure why I can’t just tell clients email only for now.

How do others find they split their hours if at all? Or what’s the best way you’ve found?

I usually work 4 days, doing 9 to 9.5 hours, rather than 5 days from the office. I may switch back to 5 days while at home to fill the time and not have so many empty days at home.

Offline Licky

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2020, 07:53:00 am »
Been wfh for years on and off, but prefer to be in the office even tho it’s an hours commute, my tips are keep away from the fridge and don’t forget to get a tea / coffee/ water, oh and your home broadband will defo drop out at the most inconvenient moment 🙂
They have translated from Halmstads to Malmo, to Orebo to Neuchatel Xamax, to the Swiss national team, so I find the question insulting.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2020, 07:58:12 am »
Kids at home from today, wife still had to go to school today but then is off. She’s supposed to teach from home and they’ve been given work to do. Sod’s law today will be busy for me so not sure how much I can supervise them. Welcome to the new way of life.

Still better than me having to get in the tube and them mixing with loads of others at school so time for us all to reassess what’s important I guess.

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2020, 08:00:21 am »
It seems that I am in the minority who is not finding it productive to work from home. 2 weeks now since I started working from home, but I don't think I have actually got much work done.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2020, 08:04:49 am »
My day at home today, we are doing an in the office/work at home rotation. Kids still in school until tomorrow.

No idea what will happen from Monday, missus works for a water utilities company, only has a desktop at work, so no idea if we can get her to work from home. She's going to see if she can do half 5 starts Tue and Thursday and i'll do Mon/Wed/Fri at home.

Doing the trucks Saturday, looking forward to a 15 hour shift just to get me out of the house, if we do go into lockdown I'll be grateful of the chance to spend a few hours alone.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2020, 08:12:52 am »
I work in a school so it's mandatory from Monday. Staff and student attendance has been dropping like a stone all week, although we did kick out all the 'vulnerable' staff at the start of the week and some of them have been trying to sneak back in!

It's going to be so weird, I'm not a teacher (IT support) so the next few months will mostly be responding to emails from teachers at home trying to set work through the online platforms etc. Luckily we've been told that pay isn't being affected, but a lot of people have partners etc who aren't in the same position so households are going to suffer.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Online Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2020, 08:24:05 am »
My workplace is mad. When I got my last rise (which was years and years ago) I said don't give me the rise, just let me work 4 days a week for my existing salary but they said no. They'd rather have me in for 5 days costing them more money : /

That’s mad. Haha.

I had to persuade them. They didn’t like the idea at first, so I had to promise to check my emails on the Friday in case a client contacts me. I hardly get emails on a Friday as clients are winding down, getting stuff done before the weekend and usually contact me on the Monday.

My advice would be to sell it to them. Tell them you would be more productive as 5 days tires you out. I told them it was better for my mental health, which is true. Also offer to do overtime on the day off if and when you’re needed urgently.

Online Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2020, 08:30:04 am »
I work in a school so it's mandatory from Monday. Staff and student attendance has been dropping like a stone all week, although we did kick out all the 'vulnerable' staff at the start of the week and some of them have been trying to sneak back in!

It's going to be so weird, I'm not a teacher (IT support) so the next few months will mostly be responding to emails from teachers at home trying to set work through the online platforms etc. Luckily we've been told that pay isn't being affected, but a lot of people have partners etc who aren't in the same position so households are going to suffer.

Glad to hear you’re getting paid. I feel for these people who work for Branson et al and have been asked to take unpaid leave. Home Bargains have setup a fund to pay all staff two weeks leave whether they need it or not. If they take the time off, they get their normal salary, if they don’t then at the end of the year they get an extra two weeks pay. Good way to encourage those who are well not to skive and those who are ill to stay at home.

My boss assured me I will get full pay while at home. They can’t monitor my work properly, and I can’t do some things, but it’s good they’re giving their trust. If it turns out to be a good thing, I may try to get at least half my days working remotely in the future, so that’s motivating me to be productive.

• Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2020, 08:53:44 am »
My day at home today, we are doing an in the office/work at home rotation. Kids still in school until tomorrow.

No idea what will happen from Monday, missus works for a water utilities company, only has a desktop at work, so no idea if we can get her to work from home. She's going to see if she can do half 5 starts Tue and Thursday and i'll do Mon/Wed/Fri at home.

Doing the trucks Saturday, looking forward to a 15 hour shift just to get me out of the house, if we do go into lockdown I'll be grateful of the chance to spend a few hours alone.

Delivery drivers are one of those exempt from any lockdown, right?

I suppose you're not in contact with others and it is an essential job.

Enjoy your "me time"!

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2020, 10:30:58 am »
So how is working from home going?  Well earlier I decided to take advantage of the empty house and having nobody in cubicles beside me and let rip with a good old-fashioned fart. Except the rumbling in my belly wasn't gas - it was of a more solid/liquid variety... 
A quick dash to the toilet followed by a detour to change my pants and chuck stuff in the washing machine  :-[

In short, this is the most productive I've been for years..   :D
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2020, 10:43:40 am »
So how is working from home going?  Well earlier I decided to take advantage of the empty house and having nobody in cubicles beside me and let rip with a good old-fashioned fart. Except the rumbling in my belly wasn't gas - it was of a more solid/liquid variety... 
A quick dash to the toilet followed by a detour to change my pants and chuck stuff in the washing machine  :-[

In short, this is the most productive I've been for years..   :D

Hope you're not short of toilet paper! ;D

I am estimating I will put on about two stone during this working from home period.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2020, 11:31:02 am »
Hope you're not short of toilet paper! ;D

I am estimating I will put on about two stone during this working from home period.

Yeah but then when all the food runs out you’ll lose it again so every cloud.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2020, 11:35:05 am »
Delivery drivers are one of those exempt from any lockdown, right?

I suppose you're not in contact with others and it is an essential job.

Enjoy your "me time"!

Its odd cos I have two jobs - I'm a developer full time and HGV's are my part time work. Our kid is full time, he does drives to Southampton from Bournemouth then does a trunk run to Birmingham every day.

I'm actually more at risk doing the trucks, as I'm unloading cages touched by god knows who at the RDC when it was loaded, coming into contact with planners and drivers, back door staff at the stores and the great unwashed when I stop at the services. I came into contact with more strangers last Saturday than I do in months normally

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2020, 12:05:01 pm »
I’ve been full time WFH since 2013 and there’s many upsides - pjs, singing at your desk, being able to just fucking ignore people so this is nothing new to me. I would suggest that you make a specific space for your office if you can so you still have the separation of work and home. Make sure you take proper breaks. Probably don’t have the telly on!

If you’re struggling with a lack of interaction with colleagues then get slack or Microsoft teams or something on the go, have video calls and channels setup so people can just chat shit.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2020, 12:06:09 pm »
I’ve been full time WFH since 2013 and there’s many upsides - pjs, singing at your desk, being able to just fucking ignore people so this is nothing new to me. I would suggest that you make a specific space for your office if you can so you still have the separation of work and home. Make sure you take proper breaks. Probably don’t have the telly on!

If you’re struggling with a lack of interaction with colleagues then get slack or Microsoft teams or something on the go, have video calls and channels setup so people can just chat shit.

We are having a Teams meetings every morning, helps a lot to actually speak to your team rather than just exchanging emails.