Author Topic: The England Cricket Thread - 2024  (Read 640120 times)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Re: England’s Cricketing Summer 2021 - Sri Lanka, India, New Zealand, Pakistan
« Reply #10920 on: December 8, 2021, 10:40:23 am »
Atherton, Butcher, Hussain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehWkuHa2Jkw

Very interesting. Masterful analysis too (incidentally illustrating how cricket punditry is still light years ahead of the hysterical stuff we get on footy).
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10921 on: December 8, 2021, 10:49:32 am »
We will spend more days in quarantine than we will on the field in this series !

We were doomed months ago I woke up looked at score and wasnt even surprised.

White ball is taking over as that is where all the money is or will be in the future.

Im no fan of Root as captain but even if he wasnt captain it would make no odds the result would be the same.

Online lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10922 on: December 8, 2021, 10:51:18 am »
I usually support england in the cricket but sincerely hope the aussies destroy us 5-0 and Shane Warne comes out and takes a dump on the St. george flag at the Gabba this time.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10923 on: December 8, 2021, 10:59:42 am »
We will spend more days in quarantine than we will on the field in this series !

We were doomed months ago I woke up looked at score and wasnt even surprised.

White ball is taking over as that is where all the money is or will be in the future.

Im no fan of Root as captain but even if he wasnt captain it would make no odds the result would be the same.

It's not like us to be chasing the money............. ;)

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #10924 on: December 8, 2021, 01:11:43 pm »
At least Buttler top scored. I hope Welshy is having a wry smile to himself somewhere.

And my name has changed!
where is Welshie by the way?
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10925 on: December 8, 2021, 01:23:01 pm »
Watched the first ten overs and went to bed.wss expecting to be out for under 100 so that's something I suppose 😂
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #10926 on: December 8, 2021, 02:38:43 pm »
Watched the first ten overs and went to bed.wss expecting to be out for under 100 so that's something I suppose 😂

I woke up at 5 to 5 and it was clear no play was going on. I worked out it was Tea so that was fine. They then talked about England probably bowling in the gloomy conditions so I thought that meant we were probably 6 or 7 down and just meant we’d be bowling at some point in the evening session so hopefully it wouldn’t be ‘that’ bad. Then they said we were all out.

Honestly, with the honourable exception of 2010/11 that could have been any morning of any Test in Australia since the early 90s!

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10927 on: December 8, 2021, 03:56:52 pm »
Thanks for that, I hadn’t seen that before, really interesting conversation there.  It’s hard to disagree with a word of it, again with the caveat that I grew up being coached the same way they were.

The mechanics of batting don't change. Only judgement of which risks are worth taking. As the trio demonstrate, the batsmen's understanding of mechanics is lacking, and the results indicate the judgement of risk is also severely off.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #10928 on: December 8, 2021, 05:26:16 pm »
Just seen some of the highlights. I always thought you bowled first in Brisbane, if there was even a hint of assistance for the bowlers. Maybe it has changed over the years? 

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #10929 on: December 8, 2021, 05:56:50 pm »
Weather forecast for the next four days gives England a fair chance of a draw.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10930 on: December 8, 2021, 05:59:24 pm »

We only need to play for 2 days total to ensure defeat.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #10931 on: December 8, 2021, 06:13:14 pm »

Which means we probably should have bowled first to reduce the risk of contriving to lose a heavily rain affected match. And even if we do scrape a draw a lot of psychological damage will probably have been done.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10932 on: December 8, 2021, 07:23:24 pm »
The mechanics of batting don't change. Only judgement of which risks are worth taking. As the trio demonstrate, the batsmen's understanding of mechanics is lacking, and the results indicate the judgement of risk is also severely off.

The Alec Stewart clip was the one that really buried the “I bat on off stump to know where my off stump is” argument for me.  Alec Stewart knew where his off stump was despite having a leg stump guard and playing an aggressive pull shot. Why? Not because he was some kind of mystic, but because he fucking worked at it, watched the ball and knew where he should be putting his feet accordingly.

Too many players at all levels give it the “I like to feel bat on ball” excuse for playing at balls they shouldn’t. All batsmen like to feel bat on ball, but it’s no coincidence that the really good ones are the ones that know where their stumps are and know when they shouldn’t be trying to go after the ball.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10933 on: December 8, 2021, 08:18:46 pm »
The Alec Stewart clip was the one that really buried the “I bat on off stump to know where my off stump is” argument for me.  Alec Stewart knew where his off stump was despite having a leg stump guard and playing an aggressive pull shot. Why? Not because he was some kind of mystic, but because he fucking worked at it, watched the ball and knew where he should be putting his feet accordingly.

Too many players at all levels give it the “I like to feel bat on ball” excuse for playing at balls they shouldn’t. All batsmen like to feel bat on ball, but it’s no coincidence that the really good ones are the ones that know where their stumps are and know when they shouldn’t be trying to go after the ball.

I also appreciated the point Butcher made, that after his huge movement supposedly reminiscent of Sam Robson covering his stumps, Stewart's eyes were directly above off stump, the same line that Atherton took. Robson's eyes were a couple of inches outside off.

I posted in another thread that "pundit" is derived from a Hindi word meaning "wise man". In cricket, not so much in football, that origin is quite accurate.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10934 on: December 8, 2021, 08:21:36 pm »
That video was really cool. They know cricket inside and out.

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #10935 on: December 8, 2021, 08:34:28 pm »
Just spent the whole day listening to the whole ball by ball coverage on TMS without knowing what happened

Root is such a bad captain. You win the toss in overhead conditions and you choose to bat. Why not play Broad who has the wood over the Aus top order? When will Leech actually bowl? Play your best team and to lose so many wickets from the side is criminal. I know you could say that England have not had any time to play in the conditions but it just sets a bad example putting 147 on the board. The TMS coverage was very good. The Aus on TV must have been painful to view.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10936 on: December 8, 2021, 08:41:43 pm »
Just spent the whole day listening to the whole ball by ball coverage on TMS without knowing what happened

Root is such a bad captain. You win the toss in overhead conditions and you choose to bat. Why not play Broad who has the wood over the Aus top order? When will Leech actually bowl? Play your best team and to lose so many wickets from the side is criminal. I know you could say that England have not had any time to play in the conditions but it just sets a bad example putting 147 on the board. The TMS coverage was very good. The Aus on TV must have been painful to view.

It is an argument that's there to be made but Root is caught between a rock and a hard place. In the summer he elected to bowl first a couple of times and it was a disaster. The batting lineup is just dogshit. This pitch is not doing all sorts, there's enough there but it's hardly a bunsen burner at Kolkata or a green top in Durham.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10937 on: December 8, 2021, 08:52:44 pm »
It is an argument that's there to be made but Root is caught between a rock and a hard place. In the summer he elected to bowl first a couple of times and it was a disaster. The batting lineup is just dogshit. This pitch is not doing all sorts, there's enough there but it's hardly a bunsen burner at Kolkata or a green top in Durham.

Is there a bit of a stigma attached to electing to bowl first at the Gabba after all the shit that Nasser Hussain has had to put up with over the years?!

I mean in hindsight it would probably have been the right decision to bowl, but I’m sure every England captain at Brisbane since has had the vision of two decades of piss taking coming their way as that coin is coming down.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #10938 on: December 8, 2021, 08:54:33 pm »

Yeah I agree. Had he put them in and they made 300/2 he’d have been called a coward. Although we’d have had a better chance of scraping a draw.

It was definitely a good toss to lose.

Can’t see how out batting improved much this tour. The day night test(s) might give us more chance of bowling them out but probably just makes us even less likely to post a decent score ourselves.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10939 on: December 8, 2021, 08:55:25 pm »

Atherton's point regarding scoring is an interesting one too. Usually the ball on off-stump or just outside off can be a really good scoring opportunity. You can play your straight and cover drives.

If you start at an off-stump guard then the normal straight ball is really hard to drive at, because it's swinging into your body.

Could be one reason why many of England test batters score slowly.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10940 on: December 8, 2021, 09:28:50 pm »
Just seen some of the highlights. I always thought you bowled first in Brisbane, if there was even a hint of assistance for the bowlers. Maybe it has changed over the years? 
9 out of 10 times you bat first; the 10th time you think about it and still elect to bat.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #10941 on: December 8, 2021, 09:38:53 pm »
9 out of 10 times you bat first; the 10th time you think about it and still elect to bat.

;D

It’s always been a good batting wicket hence why I thought, if you saw any advantage, you try and make some in roads. Think I remember NZ falling into the trap a while  ago now. Got two early wickets and that was it for a day and half (or felt like it anyway).

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #10942 on: December 8, 2021, 09:43:53 pm »

Hope you’re well chief?

Are you looking forward to the series (and what’s the Aussie view in general)? Or has it dawned on people it could well be another one way traffics kind of series.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #10943 on: December 8, 2021, 11:31:52 pm »
Just saw the England score, that's... not good.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10944 on: December 8, 2021, 11:36:21 pm »
Hope you’re well chief?

Are you looking forward to the series (and what’s the Aussie view in general)? Or has it dawned on people it could well be another one way traffics kind of series.
I’m good mate.

I’ve not really been excited for the series but it’s great to have cricket back now it’s started.

I think we should comfortably control the series based on experience and consistency. Our bowling unit is set and experienced, 3-4 experienced competent heads in the batting. I really think that comfortably will be the dominant factor.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #10945 on: December 8, 2021, 11:39:59 pm »
Good first over from Robinson, bowled in the right areas and best the bat with a couple
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #10946 on: December 8, 2021, 11:43:52 pm »
I’m good mate.

I’ve not really been excited for the series but it’s great to have cricket back now it’s started.

I think we should comfortably control the series based on experience and consistency. Our bowling unit is set and experienced, 3-4 experienced competent heads in the batting. I really think that comfortably will be the dominant factor.

I’m annoyed to be honest, that your weather forecasts are no more accurate than ours. Rain today? 80% chance according to yesterday’s forecast. Start of play? Not a cloud in the sky😤
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #10947 on: December 8, 2021, 11:52:43 pm »
I’m annoyed to be honest, that your weather forecasts are no more accurate than ours. Rain today? 80% chance according to yesterday’s forecast. Start of play? Not a cloud in the sky😤

Storms can gather quickly later in the day. Better had do!

Hoping Robinson can be as good as someone like Angus Fraser. He looks promising and with his height could cause problems here if he gets it up. But don’t really want to get any hopes up.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10948 on: December 8, 2021, 11:53:58 pm »
We have a wicket!

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #10949 on: December 8, 2021, 11:54:30 pm »
Storms can gather quickly later in the day. Better had do!

Hoping Robinson can be as good as someone like Angus Fraser. He looks promising and with his height could cause problems here if he gets it up. But don’t really want to get any hopes up.

Well, there’s the first back in the hutch😃

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #10950 on: December 8, 2021, 11:55:49 pm »
A GOOD THING HAS HAPPENED!

make the fucking most of that. it'll be a rarity.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10951 on: December 8, 2021, 11:55:53 pm »
Missed that, didn't realise they were starting early

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10952 on: December 8, 2021, 11:56:17 pm »
Harris not one of the experienced batsmen I was referring to.  :-\

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #10953 on: December 8, 2021, 11:56:59 pm »
Oh God, I’ve had two blissful years forgetting this prick existed.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #10954 on: December 8, 2021, 11:57:57 pm »
Oops missed the start.

England are back!
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10955 on: December 8, 2021, 11:59:15 pm »
Labuschagne only averages 99.75 at the Gabba. Nothing for England to worry about then.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10956 on: December 9, 2021, 12:26:21 am »
Labuschagne only averages 99.75 at the Gabba. Nothing for England to worry about then.

Every Australian cricketer is called Shane. Even the ones that don't spell it that way.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #10957 on: December 9, 2021, 12:31:55 am »
Oh just fuck off.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10958 on: December 9, 2021, 12:32:38 am »
Fucks sake the jammy bastard

Offline rhysd

• Kopite
  • Igor
« Reply #10959 on: December 9, 2021, 12:53:11 am »
Have I just seen Joe Root giving a video interview with the commentators during a drinks break?!
20 and 7