Author Topic: a question for one of the mods  (Read 121044 times)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: a question for one of the mods
« Reply #320 on: November 17, 2021, 12:56:07 pm »
Just noticed this and it really bothers me. The order for the forums has been the same for ages. I'm not good with change... :D

I don’t even know where you mean! Is this on the Home Page?

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: November 17, 2021, 01:04:22 pm »
I don’t even know where you mean! Is this on the Home Page?

On the root of the forum pages, where it lists them all under Flagpole Corner, or if you click on Flagpole Corner so the subforums are listed one under the other.

News and Tech have swapped around.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #322 on: November 17, 2021, 01:27:52 pm »
Thought I was going crazy when I noticed that, thankfully it seems that is still a bit off yet.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #323 on: November 17, 2021, 03:30:55 pm »
Add me to the list of folks who thought they were confused as hell by that sub-forum swap on the main page.  Was thinking 'has it always been this way round...?'.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: November 17, 2021, 03:48:47 pm »
Yep. Not to sound melodramatic - and I know it is meant to be a football site - but the News forum is by far the main reason I come on here so I'll likely be on here a lot less if it goes.

Obviously totally up to the mods though. I understand if they have just had enough but I don't buy that it is worse than any time before. It's far better now than it was a few years ago when a certain person was leading the Labour party. We stil get flare ups every few weeks but back then it was almost every day. And it's not the whole News forum that is an issue. It is one topic that causes 95% of the problems.

Like you say, it's a football site and we're not saying you can't discuss news topics again ever, plan would be to have them back in the boozer (though maybe actually just clean slating that forum could work) and not have these gigantic 1000 page threads. I'd prefer we kept the politics threads to a minimum and discussed individual topics of the day/week to attempt to curb derailing and individual squabbles and if like me, you don't have the will to sit and read a massive thread to get the context then I can dip into a smaller thread. The way I see it is that outside of the football related forums and things like tickets, it should be fairly light hearted and only require a light touch from the mods. That board takes up a lot of time.

Just looking through the moderation log, a lot of deletions and interventions are in threads in that forum, and really, not _that_ many of our users actually use it.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: November 17, 2021, 03:49:09 pm »
Add me to the list of folks who thought they were confused as hell by that sub-forum swap on the main page.  Was thinking 'has it always been this way round...?'.

Ha, I can move it back but cos I'm a c*nt I really don't want to now ;D

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #326 on: November 17, 2021, 10:32:49 pm »
Ha, I can move it back but cos I'm a c*nt I really don't want to now ;D

It's the easiest solution Claire, just hide the News Forum somewhere that no-one will ever find it...

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #327 on: November 18, 2021, 10:29:15 am »
Yep. Not to sound melodramatic - and I know it is meant to be a football site - but the News forum is by far the main reason I come on here so I'll likely be on here a lot less if it goes.

Obviously totally up to the mods though. I understand if they have just had enough but I don't buy that it is worse than any time before. It's far better now than it was a few years ago when a certain person was leading the Labour party. We stil get flare ups every few weeks but back then it was almost every day. And it's not the whole News forum that is an issue. It is one topic that causes 95% of the problems.
Same, I know the forum is a Liverpool Football Club one, it's going to be why 99.9% of the people sign up, but having something where topical news and current affairs can be discussed almost feels like it needs to be there.  It differentiates us as individuals rather than one amorphous blob of "Yay, Liverpool!" as well as encouraging critical thinking.

Could it be done better?  Yes, I mean as a left-of-centre forum it's very myopic on certain topics and it feels like 'groupthink' outweighs the possibility of discussing the issue at hand.  Opposing views on something are nearly always seen as being taken in bad faith and no real chance of compromise is given.  While moderating topics must be absolutely horrendous at times (topics seen as controversial such as LGBT+ issues, Shamima Begum, vaccinations, etc. must be a nightmare) I feel like it needs to be done, and the voices offering alternative views listened to and responded to in good faith, even if they kind of piss you off as you respond.

I definitely don't want it to go but I understand the reasons why.  I've lost a lot of the feelings to the club in regards to what made me join here in the first place, so while it is an LFC board and what it was created to be, I feel that's an oversimplification of how the boards are today.  People will inevitably change over time to adapt to those around them and I feel that's reciprocated in what these forums represent now.

Oh, and this all came from me seeing the News & Current Affairs link being shifted over one space too, weirded me out.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: November 18, 2021, 11:38:21 am »
In regards to the post I made above, would there be any scope to having a pinned and starred post in the News threads for users of that particular sub-forum to discuss changes that they would like to see?  I could imagine people will miss any talk of it here in the Feedback threads but they would likely see it in there.  I know, ultimately, RAWK isn't a democracy for that sort of thing, but I feel like having the input of the users of that space could potentially improve things exponentially.  If they were to know just how threatened it is, and to gather their feedback on what could be done to improve it could be the kick up the rear end it needs.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #329 on: November 18, 2021, 12:11:04 pm »
Sack off any political threads and the news forum would prob be 90% easier to moderate.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: November 18, 2021, 12:50:50 pm »
I spend a lot of time in the news forum. I hardly ever post in it, but I read the threads every day.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #331 on: November 18, 2021, 12:57:23 pm »
I spend a lot of time in the news forum. I hardly ever post in it, but I read the threads every day.

Yeah, same for me. I can see the hassle the give mods though, it’s a never ending battle in some of them it seems.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #332 on: November 18, 2021, 01:33:55 pm »
Did a double take when suddenly noticed the Technology and Science forum appeared in the place where News & Current Affairs forum normally is...... thought you had gone ahead and deleted the News forum but they seem to have just swapped places.

I thought it was me. A bit like heading to my wardrobe and not remembering what I'm looking for and then realising I'm not wearing any trousers.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #333 on: November 18, 2021, 01:36:33 pm »
I thought it was me. A bit like heading to my wardrobe and not remembering what I'm looking for and then realising I'm not wearing any trousers.

That's why everyone has been looking at me weirdly today!  :moon
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #334 on: November 18, 2021, 02:08:16 pm »
Would be really sorry to see the News section go.  Probably the section of the forum I read the most.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #335 on: November 18, 2021, 03:33:57 pm »
That's why everyone has been looking at me weirdly today!  :moon

Do you normally wear So... Howard Phillips trousers?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #336 on: November 18, 2021, 04:28:36 pm »
We can all agree on these three things right:
1. Trans thread was locked because village idiot was being a village twat

Just for context and background. It wasn't just one person that led to the trans thread being deleted. If that was the case muting or a ban would have left the thread open. The problem with that thread and others is that people post with absolute positions on a given subject and then insist that anyone who disagrees is a Tory/centrist/transphobic/not a Liverpool supporter or other accusation that immediately polarises the debate and turns the thread into something personal.

The irony is that ninety-nine times out of a hundred the differences are relatively nuanced rather than violently different.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #337 on: November 18, 2021, 04:35:12 pm »
Do you normally wear So... Howard Phillips trousers?

So Elzar is the reason why I can't find my new black jeans. :no

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #338 on: November 18, 2021, 07:07:35 pm »
If the News board is going can I request that you keep the Covid thread - It's full of so much useful information.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: November 18, 2021, 08:24:04 pm »
I don't think getting rid of certain sub-forums entirely is the best move, especially ones like the News & Current Affairs. There's some really good takes there and some very good and informative discussion that goes on between mostly like-minded people. There will always be a post or two that derails entire topics and steers the discourse into something more divisive.

As with the investment thread, it seems like the mod team requires a couple more additions to keep on top of things instead of just putting a blanket ban on certain topics. I'm sure there are a few well-respected active daily posters here who have a fair bit of time to keep things in order where required. It shouldn't be as black and white as "oh that's a controversial topic, too difficult to moderate - not allowed".

Ultimately a forum is where discussion and debate take place. There are many reasons for the decline in active posters over the years on here (not least the rise of social media etc), but actively stifling discussion around certain topics doesn't help. It's a Liverpool FC forum first, I get that, but I've seen mods say 'why do you expect to discuss this in a Liverpool forum?' in that case just get rid of all the forums except the main LFC forum. It currently seems like an easy line to trot when drawing an imaginary fence around certain topics.

Personally, I've been on here for around 14 years and a lot of the views that I've come across have shaped the person I am today in some ways. I'm not from Liverpool, but thanks to RAWK, I feel my values today are very much aligned with people from the city (and generally the NW). I'm not totally sure if RAWK would have the same sort of low-level, but real, impact on anyone in the future as things are getting a bit too 'vanilla' when it comes to active discussion and debate on topics beyond just LFC.

Obviously, up to the mods to do as they see fit but I think the opinions of posters on here are important too rather than just being told yes or no.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #340 on: November 22, 2021, 02:03:15 pm »
In regards to the post I made above, would there be any scope to having a pinned and starred post in the News threads for users of that particular sub-forum to discuss changes that they would like to see?  I could imagine people will miss any talk of it here in the Feedback threads but they would likely see it in there.  I know, ultimately, RAWK isn't a democracy for that sort of thing, but I feel like having the input of the users of that space could potentially improve things exponentially.  If they were to know just how threatened it is, and to gather their feedback on what could be done to improve it could be the kick up the rear end it needs.

Not a democracy? But I thought Andy@'s polls were all binding and a key part of keeping RAWK functioning like the well oiled machine that it is

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #341 on: November 24, 2021, 02:56:18 pm »
FAO Claire, I switched mobiles today and RAWK loaded with a dark(?) theme which I'd not seen before in Chrome when I used the new phone.  I tried to switch it to whatever it was before (the mobile view, I think), but now it looks like it's reverted to the original RAWK theme.  Can I get back to where I was?  I've selected rawkv3 in my profile but it's not doing mobile things on mobile.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: November 25, 2021, 08:20:57 am »
The dark theme will be in use if you have your OS set to prefer dark ;D

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #343 on: November 25, 2021, 08:25:21 am »
The dark theme will be in use if you have your OS set to prefer dark ;D

Aha.  All good now, ta.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #344 on: November 26, 2021, 04:29:14 pm »

Hi mods,

I made a 'mini-index' of content for the 'Liverpool Audio / Video thread', here:-

www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Just thought I'd ask if it could be also posted up in the OP of the Acaustiq's 'Liverpool Audio / Video thread' (www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=112969.0) ?

There is nothing in the OP of the thread at the moment - and thought adding the 'mini-index' to it may help members find some of the videos in the thread, and about RAWK too?

No worries if not - just an idea :)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: November 26, 2021, 04:47:29 pm »
I've added it as a quote so people can thank you for your hard work!
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: November 26, 2021, 06:00:31 pm »
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #347 on: November 26, 2021, 08:13:28 pm »
I was gonna come and say that I only really visit RAWK for the non-lfc related threads these days, but that might encourage the mods to close it down ;D

Plus I also love all oojasons work, you legend.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #348 on: November 27, 2021, 01:56:18 am »
I've added it as a quote so people can thank you for your hard work!

Thank you very much for adding that to the OP, Rhi.

No thanks or kind words are necessary - though much appreciated. :-[ 

Just doing my little little bit to help fellow Reds find videos of matches and some great memories, both recent and long ago.

Thanks Rhi, Jake, and Kenny's Jacket.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #349 on: December 1, 2021, 11:58:06 am »
Don’t know if this is the right place to ask but whenever I try to post a photo on here, such as a simple basic one from my phone gallery it tells me that the attachment is too large and that the maximum is 200kb !
I can’t get past this, probably because I lack the basic knowledge. Any help greatly appreciated 🙏🏼

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: December 1, 2021, 12:26:58 pm »
Don’t know if this is the right place to ask but whenever I try to post a photo on here, such as a simple basic one from my phone gallery it tells me that the attachment is too large and that the maximum is 200kb !
I can’t get past this, probably because I lack the basic knowledge. Any help greatly appreciated 🙏🏼

Upload it to imgur or other hosting site and then embed it in your post using the "Insert Image" button.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #351 on: December 2, 2021, 10:48:03 am »
Upload it to imgur or other hosting site and then embed it in your post using the "Insert Image" button.

Cheers 🍻

Offline PeterJM

• The Queens Drive Dodger. Has a reckless appetite for meat
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: December 6, 2021, 10:05:12 am »
Why has the thread about Arthur been locked?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #353 on: December 6, 2021, 02:04:55 pm »

Or make it smaller in a photo app like mspaint, then save it as a jpeg (Which makes it a lot smaller) and check the size before attaching it
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: December 6, 2021, 02:21:43 pm »
Why has the thread about Arthur been locked?
Out of respect for the little lad who was tortured to death, he's not a political football
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline PeterJM

• The Queens Drive Dodger. Has a reckless appetite for meat
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: December 6, 2021, 02:31:16 pm »
Out of respect for the little lad who was tortured to death, he's not a political football
Sorry,I fully agree.

I’m just frustrated that a thread that should have been about the poor kid got hijacked by politics.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: December 31, 2021, 05:19:27 pm »
I see the new UK politics thread started by Andy has been locked straight away. Good. Even just his post on it is proof that there is absolutely no chance of a prolonged discussion being had in good faith. Until it is properly recognised that contributions to the toxic atmosphere in those threads comes from all sides, I don’t see a point in having a UK politics thread at all as the same issues will arise again and again.

Anyway, leaving that crap behind in 2022. All the best everyone!

Id like to have a thread open, but Andys new one showed why its not
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: December 31, 2021, 06:13:10 pm »
Unfortunately sometimes we see a determination either not to be civil or to want to drive and repeat a point, hence me taking responsibility for locking it. It's not without previous wide discussion between all the Mods though.

Let's all get in to 2022 healthy and happy wishing for something shiny sometime so eh?

Meanwhile, I/we sincerely wish you all the very best. Stay safe, stay strong and keep the faith.

Up the Reds folks.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #358 on: December 31, 2021, 06:18:32 pm »
I see the new UK politics thread started by Andy has been locked straight away. Good. Even just his post on it is proof that there is absolutely no chance of a prolonged discussion being had in good faith. Until it is properly recognised that contributions to the toxic atmosphere in those threads comes from all sides, I don’t see a point in having a UK politics thread at all as the same issues will arise again and again.

Anyway, leaving that crap behind in 2022. All the best everyone!

Agreed, and same to you and everyone else - all the best and happy new year :wave

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: January 6, 2022, 08:50:23 am »
Has something been changed on the mobile version or is it my phone that's decided to change everything?

I've got a black background and most of the writing is red, making it difficult to read.

Edit

It's ok I've sorted it, my phone had changed its settings.

Again!!
« Last Edit: January 6, 2022, 08:52:13 am by reddebs »