Author Topic: Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people  (Read 106035 times)

Offline TheLiverBird

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
A search and rescue operation is under way after Malaysia Airlines said that a plane carrying 227 passengers and 12 crew on board went missing en route to Beijing.

The company said that it lost contact with the aircraft two hours after takeoff and it was now working with authorities who had deployed search and rescue teams to locate the aircraft, which had departed from Kuala Lumpur at 12.41am on Saturday.

A statement from the airline said it was contacting the next-of-kin of passengers and crew.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected passengers and crew and their family members," it said.

Radar contact with the aircraft, flight MH370, was lost in airspace controlled by Vietnam in the early hours of Saturday morning, China's Xinhua news agency said. The aircraft did not enter airspace controlled by China and did not make contact with Chinese controllers, Xinhua added.

The flight had been expected to land at Beijing at 6.30am on the same day. The passengers on board included two infants, according to the airline, which also released a telephone number which members of the public could call to seek information.

The last major accident involving a Malaysia Airlines flight was in September 1995, when one of its aircraft crashed in the Malaysian city of Tawau, killing 34 people on board and injuring nine on the ground. The plane had been attempting to land at the airport when it overshot the runway and plunged into neighbouring houses.

In December 1977, a Malaysia Airlines flight was hijacked and crashed in Tanjung Kupang, killing all 100 people on board.

An earlier statement published on Facebook by the airline said: "Malaysia Airlines confirms that flight MH370 has lost contact with Subang air traffic control at 2.40am, today (8 March 2014).

"Flight MH370, operated on the B777-200 aircraft, departed Kuala Lumpur at 12.41am on 8 March 2014. MH370 was expected to land in Beijing at 6.30am the same day. The flight was carrying a total number of 227 passengers (including 2 infants), 12 crew members. Malaysia Airlines is currently working with the authorities who have activated their Search and Rescue team to locate the aircraft.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/08/malaysia-airlines-loses-contact-plane

May have some friends on board, praying things turn out okay.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2014, 08:52:12 am by The 5th Benitle »

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people
« Reply #1 on: March 8, 2014, 02:08:30 am »
Just seen this on the BBC new site, I hope everyone is safe, but if it's anything like that French flight that disappeared over the Atlantic a few years ago, this could be a tragedy.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #2 on: March 8, 2014, 02:55:38 am »
 This doesn't look very good at all. Fingers crossed it's not as bad as it seems.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2014, 08:51:33 am by The 5th Benitle »

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
Malaysian Airline lost contact with missing MH370 plane.
« Reply #3 on: March 8, 2014, 02:55:44 am »
Malaysia Airlines says it has lost contact with a plane travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, with 239 people on board.

The airline said in a statement that flight MH370 disappeared at 02:40 local time on Saturday (18:40 GMT on Friday).

It was expected to land in Beijing at 06:30 (22:30 GMT).

"Malaysia Airlines is currently working with the authorities who have activated their search and rescue team to locate the aircraft," the carrier said.

"Our team is currently calling the next-of-kin of passengers and crew."

The Boeing B777-200 aircraft was carrying 227 passengers, including two children, and 12 crew members.

"We deeply regret that we have lost all contacts with flight MH370 which departed Kuala Lumpur at 12.41 am earlier this morning bound for Beijing," said the airline.

The flight went missing two hours after taking off from Kuala Lumpur.

China's Xinhua state news agency said it was lost in airspace controlled by Vietnam.

The aircraft did not enter airspace controlled by China and did not make contact with Chinese controllers, the agency added.

Malaysia Airlines has told the BBC it will be holding a press conference later on Saturday.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected passengers and crew and their family members," said its statement.

The airline is the national carrier of Malaysia and one of Asia's largest, flying nearly 37,000 passengers daily to some 80 destinations worldwide.

Doesn't sound good this, praying all those people on board survive.

Online Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4 on: March 8, 2014, 04:47:27 am »
My biggest fear. Hopefully we'll see a miracle.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Malaysian Airline lost contact with missing MH370 plane.
« Reply #5 on: March 8, 2014, 05:28:03 am »
Vietnam Navy have said the plane has crashed 153 miles south of the Phu Quoc islands according to their military radar.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2014, 05:44:00 am by Malaysian Kopite »
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 8, 2014, 06:54:47 am »
Yup crash confirmed   :( 

RIP

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #7 on: March 8, 2014, 07:39:36 am »
Terrible news.

RIP to the victims and best thoughts for their families in dealing with this tragedy.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #8 on: March 8, 2014, 07:51:03 am »
It's a confirmed crash by the Vietnamese authorities, but still holding my hopes up for survivors.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline theredguy03

• Put balls in his mouth and nearly choked
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho- Used to be Man City's tormentor
« Reply #9 on: March 8, 2014, 09:17:41 am »
This instantly reminded me of that flight from Brazil to France that disappeared over the Atlantic.

:'( It's horrible just thinking about what those people and relatives have to go through.
My favourite all time LFC player? Tough choice.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 8, 2014, 09:25:28 am »
RIP to all those involved, horrible news :(

Boeing are having an absolute nightmare. First all the problems with the 787, then the 777 in San Francisco, now this. That company might be in serious danger, Airbus are moving ahead of them everyday.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #11 on: March 8, 2014, 09:31:42 am »
This instantly reminded me of that flight from Brazil to France that disappeared over the Atlantic.

An aviation expert on Sky News just said the same - similar in that there was no contact at all from the pilots, even though they were at cruising height and should have had plenty of time to communicate. Also occured at the same time of day (1/2am) when people are at their weakest and most vulnerable re. circadian rhythms.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #12 on: March 8, 2014, 02:26:18 pm »
Reports that two passengers, an Austrian and an Italian, are alive and well after their passports were stolen.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 8, 2014, 03:28:58 pm »
Reports that two passengers, an Austrian and an Italian, are alive and well after their passports were stolen.

How lucky are they

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #14 on: March 8, 2014, 03:32:05 pm »
How lucky are they

No more so than anyone else as it's not like they intended to be on that flight anyway.

Very strange though, apparently their passports were stolen within the last 2 years.
We're on our way to glory...

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 8, 2014, 05:04:24 pm »
No more so than anyone else as it's not like they intended to be on that flight anyway.

Very strange though, apparently their passports were stolen within the last 2 years.

I was assuming the poster was suggesting they weren't allowed to board due to losing passports. 

Seen the beeb news there and still no sign of the aircraft

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #16 on: March 8, 2014, 05:06:34 pm »
I was assuming the poster was suggesting they weren't allowed to board due to losing passports. 

Seen the beeb news there and still no sign of the aircraft

Ah fair enough mate.

This is so bizarre, surely they have sent a plane along the flightpath by now, and yet they haven't seen anything other than a couple of oil slicks.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 8, 2014, 07:21:53 pm »
terrible terrible news,it could happen to any one of us.
RIP to the victims and wishing strength to their loved ones

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #18 on: March 8, 2014, 07:23:27 pm »
This is the strange thing to me, too - how can two people use passports that were stolen and presumably cancelled two years ago? Suspicious. Or just shocking security checks.
It does raise a very big question about the cause of the crash doesn't it?

Still, the cause isn't currently as important as the deaths of so many people.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline RobinHood

• Kopite
« Reply #19 on: March 8, 2014, 07:26:15 pm »
Awful news, it took then years to find out what happened to that Air France plane.

I really hate flying.

RIP to the passengers and crew.

Offline Fiasco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #20 on: March 8, 2014, 08:59:41 pm »
Awful news, it took then years to find out what happened to that Air France plane.

I really hate flying.

RIP to the passengers and crew.

With the Air France flight, the cockpit were in contact with ground control etc, that isn't the case with this. They just stopped communicating and went off the radar, and that's that. Very, very odd.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 8, 2014, 09:58:06 pm »
With the Air France flight, the cockpit were in contact with ground control etc, that isn't the case with this. They just stopped communicating and went off the radar, and that's that. Very, very odd.

Not trying to make wild accusations but that could be interpreted as either a catastrophic flight failure or perhaps even a bomb.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Fiasco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #22 on: March 8, 2014, 10:10:07 pm »
Not trying to make wild accusations but that could be interpreted as either a catastrophic flight failure or perhaps even a bomb.

It's certainly a possibility mate. It's not nice to speculate when 239 lives have been lost but what else can you do? I've just saw the front page of the Telegraph for tomorrow and they have gone with a headline about possible terrorist involvement, but as it's a headline on it's own I'm not sure of the details.

Must be so hard for the close ones of those involved, and of course for the passengers.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #23 on: March 8, 2014, 10:28:08 pm »

Thing is if it's terrorism (which I must admit was my first thought) there would be wreckage, a lot of it, spread over a large area so surely some of it would have been spotted by now, but then the fact there was no May Day call suggests it could have well been terrorism so it's very much a mystery as to what's actually gone on but sadly the worst looks inevitable in terms if casualties, so thoughts and prays go out to the passengers and their loved ones.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Online lfcthekop

• knows how to inbed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 8, 2014, 10:31:05 pm »
Just seen this on news, apparently there was 2 people using stolen passports on this flight, seems very dodgy indeed

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 8, 2014, 10:56:20 pm »
Thing is if it's terrorism (which I must admit was my first thought) there would be wreckage, a lot of it, spread over a large area so surely some of it would have been spotted by now, but then the fact there was no May Day call suggests it could have well been terrorism so it's very much a mystery as to what's actually gone on but sadly the worst looks inevitable in terms if casualties, so thoughts and prays go out to the passengers and their loved ones.

Whether a bomb or a sudden, catastrophic flight failure, you'd expect wreckage.  The lack of wreckage so far doesn't really point to it being one or the other.

The only other alternatives I can think of is that the plane dived below the radar coverage, levelled off, and either flew someplace or softlanded in the water...

EDIT: spotted an oil slick apparently. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26496673   :(

Popcorn's Art

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #26 on: March 8, 2014, 11:25:25 pm »
Just seen this on news, apparently there was 2 people using stolen passports on this flight, seems very dodgy indeed

Definitely fishy, that.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 9, 2014, 12:53:07 am »

I really hate flying.

I was at one stage flying weekly for work between England & Germany.  I fucking hate it too.  Haven't flown since last July and would quite happily never fly again.

So the wreckage (assuming it has crashed) has still not been found?

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #28 on: March 9, 2014, 02:53:55 am »

Aye, the missus and I were thinking the same thing.

Still no sign of wreckage.

I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline ReDagger

• Kemlynite
« Reply #29 on: March 9, 2014, 06:12:28 am »

Now it's 4.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 9, 2014, 06:20:12 am »
A bit reluctant to post this due to it not being official and the metric fuckton of fake rumours floating around but my aunt's friend who works for Malaysia Airlines has told her it deffo was a hijacking.

Now it's 4.
Only 2.

UPDATE [1.20pm]: Department of Civil Aviation clarifies earlier statement by the Defence Minister Hishammuddin Hussein, saying only two – not four – passengers had boarded the flight using stolen passports.

CCTV footage shows the two individuals from the check-in point to departure. Footage will be used for investigations.

Malaysia Airlines says the aircraft had been repaired by Boeing and was certified safe to fly. They dismissed the possibility of a technical problem.

http://my.news.yahoo.com/mas-aircraft-goes-missing--says-airline-023820132.html
« Last Edit: March 9, 2014, 06:22:59 am by Malaysian Kopite »
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline ReDagger

• Kemlynite
« Reply #31 on: March 9, 2014, 06:30:58 am »
A bit reluctant to post this due to it not being official and the metric fuckton of fake rumours floating around but my aunt's friend who works for Malaysia Airlines has told her it deffo was a hijacking.
Only 2.

UPDATE [1.20pm]: Department of Civil Aviation clarifies earlier statement by the Defence Minister Hishammuddin Hussein, saying only two – not four – passengers had boarded the flight using stolen passports.

CCTV footage shows the two individuals from the check-in point to departure. Footage will be used for investigations.

Malaysia Airlines says the aircraft had been repaired by Boeing and was certified safe to fly. They dismissed the possibility of a technical problem.

http://my.news.yahoo.com/mas-aircraft-goes-missing--says-airline-023820132.html

Some said local news reporting it's 4. Not that that makes any difference at this point. Conflicting reports everywhere.
Hope it's not linked to terrorism, end of day. Although it's looking that way.

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #32 on: March 9, 2014, 09:18:15 am »
The thing that makes me doubt it was terrorism is that no one has claimed responsbinility and there was no indication it was. Terrorists do things to terrorise, clearly, so they make sure as many people as possible know they have done it.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 9, 2014, 01:01:22 pm »
The thing that makes me doubt it was terrorism is that no one has claimed responsbinility and there was no indication it was. Terrorists do things to terrorise, clearly, so they make sure as many people as possible know they have done it.

Well we certainly have a lot of wild speculation and uncertainty, plus a lot of families agonising over events.  Sometimes terrorism sets out simply to hurt. 

If this was two people working alone - and remember, the fewer people involved the less chance the authorities have of finding out and stopping it - it could be that recordings of some description remain to be found.

As has been said though, it's just a cruel guessing game at the moment.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #34 on: March 9, 2014, 01:28:12 pm »

No they weren't. Their last verbal contact with ATC was about 40 minutes before they crashed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 9, 2014, 01:52:43 pm »

If it wasn't terrorism and the plane failed for whatever reason, it would have crashed and broken up on impact with the sea leavening debris, if it was a controlled crash landing there would have been a May Day etc this really doesn't make any sense.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Fiasco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #36 on: March 9, 2014, 02:01:22 pm »
No they weren't. Their last verbal contact with ATC was about 40 minutes before they crashed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447

I stand corrected. I had it in my mind that was the case though, must have been a different flight. Still, odd nonetheless.
« Last Edit: March 9, 2014, 02:10:55 pm by Fiasco »

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #37 on: March 9, 2014, 02:17:14 pm »
If it wasn't terrorism and the plane failed for whatever reason, it would have crashed and broken up on impact with the sea leavening debris, if it was a controlled crash landing there would have been a May Day etc this really doesn't make any sense.

Are you saying that if it was "terrorism" there would be no debris? ???
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline Ruthless

• Wants to bed Matt Damon
  • Anny Roader
  • So heres to you Jordan Henderson!
« Reply #38 on: March 9, 2014, 03:13:07 pm »
Praying that it isn't any sort of stupid, thick as fucking pig shit religious extremist that has done this although i do reckon, from what i have heard that it will be. Hopefully there are survivors, can't imagine how the families feel.
25-05-2005 - We won it for the 5th time, Coincidence? I think not. Oh and the goals? timed 54 mins, 56 mins and 59 Mins, Proof of destiny if you've ever asked for it.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 9, 2014, 06:27:51 pm »
Are you saying that if it was "terrorism" there would be no debris? ???

Course not, quite the opposite, and it's the lack of debris that makes me think it may not have been terrorism. If it was, at that kind of altitude a plane is at debris would be scattered over a huge area and would surely have been found by now, if not by the search teams then by military satellites etc
Thinking is overrated.