Author Topic: Atletico Madrid  (Read 31148 times)

Offline tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
Re: Atletico Madrid
« Reply #160 on: April 28, 2016, 07:51:20 pm »
Can't see Simeone leaving anytime soon. I think 3-4 years atleast is a given. He seems to be very happy there and was quick to dispel the Chelsea rumours. He seems to be very invested in his project right now. Atletico are in a period of transition with the new stadium and the tv deal. I think he will see out the transition at the very least.
Reckon he wants to establish them as European champs at least once before he leaves.
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #161 on: April 29, 2016, 03:34:01 am »
Football is about many things but Simeone's team focus very much on organization, passion, hard work and incredible desire. They are filled with warriors but they aren't without some star quality. I'd absolutely love to see them win the Champions League, especially after going so agonizingly close a couple of years ago.

They are a wonderful team.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2016, 04:58:19 am »
I personally liked the free-flowing attacking football of Villarreal, but this latest edition is much more Atletico Madrid-like. I am not sure if Marcelino is trying to emulate Simeone there, I am thinking it will be hard to achieve the same level of success there.

In any case, in the same way Barca's football influenced playing style of many La Liga teams (and beyond), Simeone's Atletico Madrid seems to be also influencing some other teams in Spain.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: May 3, 2016, 09:54:47 pm »
Diego Simeone.
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #164 on: May 3, 2016, 09:56:21 pm »
pound for pound best manager in the world?
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: May 3, 2016, 09:57:55 pm »

If teaching shithouse tactics is high on your assessment meter then he's right up there with Pulis, Allardyce, and Mourinho
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: May 3, 2016, 09:58:22 pm »

Very hard to argue otherwise.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: May 3, 2016, 09:59:54 pm »

Def. an argument to be made there. What he's achieved with that team is nothing short of phenomenal.
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: May 3, 2016, 10:00:19 pm »
If teaching shithouse tactics is high on your assessment meter then he's right up there with Pulis, Allardyce, and Mourinho
Ignore the gamesmanship for a minute and look at what he's done
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: May 3, 2016, 10:02:55 pm »
Not a better manager in the world.

No idea why Chelsea didnt offer him the right deal to bring him in.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: May 3, 2016, 10:03:59 pm »

Perhaps he's not a manager who'll just sell out? He seems to love it at Atletico and he's built one of the best teams in Europe. Apart from money Chelsea have nothing to tempt him with now.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: May 3, 2016, 10:05:21 pm »

I don't think that's possible to be honest. Without the dosgshit tactics, they wouldn't have done anything.

Offline King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: May 3, 2016, 10:06:30 pm »

without the financial clout of madrid, barcelona

you cannot really compare them with chelsea when the latter spends billions and still churn out gutter performances.

i hope atletico win it. they are brilliant.

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: May 3, 2016, 10:10:09 pm »
Brilliant Atletico. Considering the difference in finance, to beat Barca and Bayern in back-to back rounds is a gigantic achievement. Knocking out one is an achievement in itself, but to follow one after the other is beyond immense.

Hope they go on and win it now. It'll be a great inspiration to see an underdog win the CL, in an era where the European giants have seemed stronger than ever. It also gives a club like ourselves great hope that we can do the same under Klopp when we do get back in the CL

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #174 on: May 3, 2016, 10:10:20 pm »
without the financial clout of madrid, barcelona

you cannot really compare them with chelsea when the latter spends billions and still churn out gutter performances.

i hope atletico win it. they are brilliant.

This is all that needs to be said.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: May 3, 2016, 10:11:00 pm »
I don't think that's possible to be honest. Without the dosgshit tactics, they wouldn't have done anything.
by dogshit tactics do you mean being a primarily defensive side and hitting teams on the counter? Not every team has to play free flowing or possession football. It's also clearly the type of tactics that undoes Pep's sides so it wouldn't make sense to not play like that

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: May 3, 2016, 10:12:48 pm »
You could say the same about Leicester in fairness.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: May 3, 2016, 10:14:58 pm »
Simeone is a don.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: May 3, 2016, 10:30:10 pm »
by dogshit tactics do you mean being a primarily defensive side and hitting teams on the counter? Not every team has to play free flowing or possession football. It's also clearly the type of tactics that undoes Pep's sides so it wouldn't make sense to not play like that

No, I mean the snide timewasting, keepers going down for no reason knowing they'll waste 30 seconds here and there. The cynical kicking away of the ball when the opposition have a throw in, or kicking it further out of play when it's already out. The rough house tactics.

You could say the same about Leicester in fairness.

Not at all. Leicester may not have steam rolled teams, but I'd much rather watch them than a Simeone team. At least you'll get an honest game of football.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: May 3, 2016, 10:32:09 pm »
No, I mean the snide timewasting, keepers going down for no reason knowing they'll waste 30 seconds here and there. The cynical kicking away of the ball when the opposition have a throw in, or kicking it further out of play when it's already out. The rough house tactics.

Not at all. Leicester may not have steam rolled teams, but I'd much rather watch them than a Simeone team. At least you'll get an honest game of football.
Agree. I admire his success, and objectively he's a great manager, but I can't stand him nor his team.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: May 3, 2016, 10:44:57 pm »

yep, all gamesmanship and not very nice to look at.

but if you are rating Simeone as a manager (the original argument) then there's a lot more to his sides than just being bellends. He sets them up brilliantly, and found an effective way to get a successful system that can compete against barca and madrid without having the resources or ability to sign the star players available to those two clubs

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #181 on: May 3, 2016, 11:06:00 pm »
They do take the piss. Suppose I can enjoy it as 1) we aren't due to play them and 2) they knocked out barca and Bayern. Hate both those clubs.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: May 3, 2016, 11:16:00 pm »

Rafa's Valenica were exactly the same. Never fumed so much at an opposition player as I did that night at Pablo Aimar at Anfield. Fucking little shithouse. There is a difference of course as I don't think for a moment Rafa made them as "cynical" as Simeone does Atletico but nonetheless it didn't take away from them being a brilliant team. He's a brilliant manager. Very few sets of players "buy in" to their manager as much as A.Madrid and he's able to keep it going despite losing a few key players. It's not easy to be so defensive and counter so swiftly. It takes massive amounts of tactical discipline and hard work. They also have the 3rd highest goals tally in Spain (miles behind Barca and Madrid fair enough) and if were in the premier league would be the 4th.

Simeone is a bit of a gobshite no doubt but excellent manager and has done wonders with them. They are like a top quality version of us under Houllier before 2002.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: May 3, 2016, 11:34:08 pm »

No.  He's done incredibly well at Atletico but he's basically Mourinho MK2

Offline davidlpool1982

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: May 3, 2016, 11:35:44 pm »
I think this season he is starting to approach peak Shitcoat at Real levels of snidery. He hasn't gouged an eye yet, but encouraging a ball boy to throw an extra ball on the pitch to stop a counter attack is cynical bastardship of the highest order. Ensuring that his keeper goes down towards the end of a tense champions league semi becuase you know that he can't be removed from the pitch and waste time with unnecessary treatment.

He's done an excellent job with the team. No question about it, they are so tough to break down and it's almost mesmerising the way they organise themselves. But I find it hard to separate that from the bastardry. Put it this way, we don't give Mourinho an out for hist cuntiness, I don't see why Simeone should get one just because he's with a smaller/poorer team,

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: May 3, 2016, 11:42:50 pm »
As much as this place hates Mourinho and doesn't like hearing this, he was and most likely still is, a top manager and after winning the treble with Inter was arguably the best manager in the world. So calling him Mouronho MKII doesn't really dispute that point very well

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #186 on: May 3, 2016, 11:47:29 pm »

Likeability is a different thing. He's turned Atletico from perennial also rans living in the shadow of two giants and brought them trophies, European finals and a club that looks Real Madrid and Barca in the eye. It probably takes a bastard to lead a team who are constantly looked down on to scrap their way to the top.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: May 3, 2016, 11:52:24 pm »
As much as this place hates Mourinho and doesn't like hearing this, he was and most likely still is, a top manager and after winning the treble with Inter was arguably the best manager in the world. So calling him Mouronho MKII doesn't really dispute that point very well

Mourinho was the best manager in the world at one point.  No doubt about that but he's dropped down a level which is where I think Simeone is now.  They both employ the same shithouse tactics in big games which is why I went with the "Mourinho MK2" comment. 

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: May 3, 2016, 11:53:44 pm »
Likeability is a different thing. He's turned Atletico from perennial also rans living in the shadow of two giants and brought them trophies, European finals and a club that looks Real Madrid and Barca in the eye. It probably takes a bastard to lead a team who are constantly looked down on to scrap their way to the top.

I don't dislike the man.  I really don't like the way his teams play though. 

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: May 4, 2016, 12:38:42 am »

Because he thrives on creating an atmosphere and always having his fans stand up and support the team, neither Chelsea nor Arsenal (ignoring the massive difference in footballing style between them and Atletico) can ever ensure something like this.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: May 4, 2016, 12:49:44 am »
I dislike the snidery and shithousery...

But I can't have a go at them about the playstyle. When Barca and Real can go out spending near unlimited money and attract any player in the world, you've got to scratch and claw for everything you can in order to compete with them.

It's surprising Simeone hasn't won a CL yet, he deserves it this year. My only worry is does that signal to him thinking "job done" and he's taken Atletico as far as he can? I'd be gutted if United, Chelsea or Arsenal got him to be honest
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: May 4, 2016, 01:45:50 am »
A truly negative tactics from Simeone, but comparing him to Mourinho is wrong. Simeone may not be the nicest person, but he has never been as disrespectful to other managers in the media, he is not in the same league as Mourinho in terms of cuntishness.

Also, knowing where Atletico were before he came, again, cannot help but admire him. Do not confuse Atletico with Mourinho teams. Mourinho spent a lot and assembled best squads in each league he worked thanks to financial dominance. Mourinho never done what Atletico did. Remarkable, the best manager of the past 3 seasons.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: May 4, 2016, 03:31:41 am »
He just knocked out the greatest front 3  in the history of the football universe, followed by knocking out the man that invented the universe of great football. Simeone is magic, he has to bridge the gap in quality and resources. Does it brilliantly.
On a shortlist of 4 for the Everton job, with Hughsie Moysie and Eddie howe.

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #193 on: May 4, 2016, 03:45:13 am »
He was a very good and snide player. He's an even better and even snider manager. But fuck me he knows how to organise a team. And for those who complain about his tactics/formations - what exactly do you want them to do when Barca and Real are in your league, and your route to the final includes Barcelona and Bayern Munich?

They were gifted an easy group stage, but it's not like they are a one trick pony in cup competitions (like Sevilla) either - they're fighting it right up there with Barca and Real in the league too. That's bloody impressive.
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: May 4, 2016, 05:49:30 am »
If they go on and lift the trophy after beating this Barca, Bayern and Real over 5 games.. If Leicester hadn't won the league I would have put Atletico's achievement as one of the greatest in modern football. It stilll would be.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #195 on: May 4, 2016, 05:54:23 am »
He's a very good manager and I like Atleti. It'll be interesting to see how the Arsenal fans take to him when he finally comes in.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #196 on: May 4, 2016, 05:56:11 am »
On a shortlist of 4 for the Everton job, with Hughsie Moysie and Eddie howe.

;D

What no Mourinho in that list?

Offline golgolgol

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: May 4, 2016, 07:10:50 am »

Easily.

Offline tea_tree

• oily and antiseptic.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #198 on: May 4, 2016, 07:53:07 am »
Can't stand this team and their manager. Mourinho mark 2
"At Liverpool I have never pulled back, I also went to war together with my fans"

Rafa Benitez

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: May 4, 2016, 08:18:22 am »
He's the new Mourinho in terms of style.

Griezmann is world class like many said back in 2014.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker