Author Topic: Liverpool owner Hicks selling Texas Rangers shares  (Read 300933 times)

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool owner Hicks selling Texas Rangers shares
« Reply #640 on: April 15, 2009, 01:12:50 pm »
This gentleman is a millionaire himself. Not near the level of Hicks and Gillett though.

You mean he was going 'round sipping on peoples empties?

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #641 on: April 15, 2009, 01:14:51 pm »
Also the Hicks were at the match last night and will be at the services today.

:-\
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #642 on: April 15, 2009, 01:22:42 pm »
I hate to break up the group think.

no you dont, you love it!
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #643 on: April 15, 2009, 01:25:05 pm »
no you dont, you love it!

Then ignore me.

All I can do is pass along some information.

But if you don't want to know all sides then stick to just one.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #644 on: April 15, 2009, 01:26:03 pm »
Then ignore me.

Do you know the Hick's 4pool?
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #645 on: April 15, 2009, 01:28:59 pm »
From lakes posted on another forum.

well it seems things have taken a turn and my mates are not 100% sure what way its going to turn out but they do know that the G&H friendship has hit a new low, Hicks has gone past the point of needing the money to stay at the club he now needs money to keep his own home. Ml were shocked last week when he spoke to them for the first time in weeks, he still stated that he would like to keep the club, ML told him they can not see a way that can happen due to what has happend on his other loan.

what could be good news is that old Gill might buy out Hicks and then sell us on for a lower price than Hicks was looking for, i now most on here dont like George Gillett due to him trying to get Rafa out but when it comes down to it he is the one that can see Hicks is taking the club down the pan and stated the Fans need more than that and we did not give them it.
He is the one now that can get us out of this pit we are in.
I dont think he is looking to stay at the club once he has 100% of it.

What I posted earlier is consistent with this part of Lyndsey's post.

However, just because ML may advise him one way doesn't mean Hicks will follow ML's advice.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #646 on: April 15, 2009, 01:31:15 pm »
Then ignore me.

I was pulling your  chain, thats all.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #647 on: April 15, 2009, 01:33:33 pm »
So we have reports/speculation GG may try to buy out Hicks and we have reports/speculation/inside rumor Hicks wants to stay

So its role reversal from six months ago.....

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #648 on: April 15, 2009, 01:34:53 pm »
Do you know the Hick's 4pool?

I have never met Tom sr.

I have met Tom Jr. and Alex Hicks as they have dropped by the pub where we watch the match. Not very often though. Tom Jr has been once, Alex maybe 3-4 times this season. I have never seen any of them away from the pub where we watch, just to make that part clear. They know of me because i'm there all the time.

But some of their friends also show up from time to time. I realize this goes against the grain that the Hicks don't follow or understand us. If they can get their friends into following us....

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #649 on: April 15, 2009, 01:37:01 pm »
Then ignore me.

By all means pass on any info, its important to get both sides.  Do you run into Hicks and hicks mates often?  must be a small world. 
Disclaimer: The above post may not be based on facts even if stated as fact.

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #650 on: April 15, 2009, 01:39:45 pm »
But some of their friends also show up from time to time. I realize this goes against the grain that the Hicks don't follow or understand us. If they can get their friends into following us....

Yes, getting their friends to come to the pub means they understand us. Brilliant.

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #651 on: April 15, 2009, 01:43:13 pm »
I have never met Tom sr.

I have met Tom Jr. and Alex Hicks as they have dropped by the pub where we watch the match. Not very often though. Tom Jr has been once, Alex maybe 3-4 times this season. I have never seen any of them away from the pub where we watch, just to make that part clear. They know of me because i'm there all the time.

Are these the same friends that were acting like c*nts in the corportate at anfield and the same friends who acted like c*nts at the hotel.  Charming people

Offline OneKop

• Kopite
« Reply #652 on: April 15, 2009, 01:45:16 pm »
I hate to break up the group think.

Yesterday watching the match one of Hicks mates was there. This gentleman is a millionaire himself. Not near the level of Hicks and Gillett though.

So you are saying one of Hick's mates might be interested in investing in us? even though he is more skint than the skint fucker that cant afford us.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Offline T-1000

• Legacy Fan
  • "I am focused on training and coaching my team"
« Reply #653 on: April 15, 2009, 01:50:18 pm »
Listen guys: why don't we all just give this thread a rest, especially today. 
.....where once we watched the King Kenny play

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #654 on: April 15, 2009, 01:54:01 pm »
Listen guys: why don't we all just give this thread a rest, especially today. 

Totally agree.  Well said.

R.I.P. 96

YNWA
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #655 on: April 15, 2009, 02:08:08 pm »
So you are saying one of Hick's mates might be interested in investing in us? even though he is more skint than the skint fucker that cant afford us.

No.

This particular person is not investing in us. That is not what I posted.

Offline OneKop

• Kopite
« Reply #656 on: April 15, 2009, 02:44:52 pm »
No.

This particular person is not investing in us. That is not what I posted.

So what was the point in mentioning him? surely if you asked ANY of Hick's cronies, they would ALL say Hick's is not selling the Rangers, Stars or Liverpool, and that banks were just begging him to take more loans out from them.

The truth is, Hick's is struggling on your side of the pond as well as over here. He NEEDS to sell assets, get investors in, but he his just shitting himself as everyone knows its a buyers market not a sellers. He is up the creek so to speak with interest payments due that he is struggling to keep up with, his sports teams over there are not the little gold mines he thought they were, and investors know that. He has fuck all chance of getting major investors in on a business that is failing.

As far as our club is concerned, he knows that without the stadium the great pile of money is just not there, we have been very lucky that we have a manager in Rafa who has got us punching above our weight in Europe {keeping this club treading water financially} but even Rafa cant stop other teams from investing and improving, if people think that over the next few years when ManCity have sacked Hughes and bought a top manager in, that it will be either Liverpool or Arsenal that will be dropping out of that all important CL

And looking at Arsenal, if i was a betting man, i would say they might just be better placed to spend/invest that little bit more than us to stay in the top four.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #657 on: April 15, 2009, 03:46:56 pm »

However, experts say negotiating with lenders is much more difficult now because of the credit crisis and economic recession. And with the Stars not in the playoffs this year and the Rangers struggling to get fans through the gates, Hicks may also have a hard time attracting cash from new investors interested in buying a minority stake in a team.

"If you can find minority interest in the New York Yankees or the Boston Celtics, that’s one thing. But to buy a minority interest in the Texas Rangers is quite another," Block said. "If that’s part of his strategy to bring in more minority-interest investors, I think that’s going to be much more difficult than in the past."

Lenders could force Hicks instead to sell a majority of his stake in one or both of the teams. And if Hicks continues to miss interest payments, lenders could work with the league commissioners and attempt to find new ownership, experts say.

The above pretty much sums up what I said a few weeks ago in this thread in that Hicks will find it incredibly difficult to sell all or portions of either franchise, particularly in this climate. Previously, both the NHL and MLB have tried to put out feelers to potential owners before taking ownership of any team. With the NHL playoffs starting today, I can't see them getting heavily involved until the summer. However, when the league does take over the team like when MLB took over the Expos, that team is generally stripped of most or the remainder of its high-profile talent in order to minimize costs.

Numbers like this won't endear to potential investors either:

Tuesday's Texas Rangers spotlight: Attendance
11:33 PM CDT on Tuesday, April 14, 2009

By ANTHONY ANDRO / Special Contributor to The Dallas Morning News
The Rangers set a dubious record Monday night, when 12,184 fans attended their game against the Baltimore Orioles.

That set a mark for the smallest crowd for a scheduled game in the 16-year history of Rangers Ballpark in Arlington.

It was also something the club saw coming, according to John Blake, the Rangers' executive vice president of communications.

Blake said the Rangers had known for months the game would be a low draw. There were no promotions for the game; it was the Monday following Easter; and the season-ticket base is down.

Blake said the numbers for the rest of the homestand would be better. Tuesday's attendance was 14,041.

Manager Ron Washington said the best way to get people to come to games is to start winning.

"Once we start getting things together and give them a reason to come to the ballpark and watch, they'll be some people in the ballpark," Washington said. "I think we're going to get them excited."
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/baseball/rangers/stories/041509dnsporangspotlight.3efc8e5.html

Offline kiwiscouser

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #658 on: April 15, 2009, 04:55:02 pm »
is the reason he is not selling Liverpool because he cant make a profit on us so he is turning to his domestic assets?

Offline OneKop

• Kopite
« Reply #659 on: April 15, 2009, 05:35:26 pm »
is the reason he is not selling Liverpool because he cant make a profit on us so he is turning to his domestic assets?

No, the reason that he is not selling us is because, nobody is daft enough to pay his overvalued price. And the reason he is turning to his domestic assets is because, they are not making any money and he has NEARLY got the bailiffs at the door.

Offline HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #660 on: April 15, 2009, 05:41:49 pm »

Also the Hicks were at the match last night and will be at the services today.

So, were the Hicks at the service today? I didn't see them, but then, come to think of it I didn't see David Moores either. Were they with the Moores family then?

Offline RedJam70

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #661 on: April 15, 2009, 06:09:29 pm »
So, were the Hicks at the service today? I didn't see them, but then, come to think of it I didn't see David Moores either. Were they with the Moores family then?

Watched the service on tv today, was in bits for much of it. I saw David Moores, was walking behind Kenny when they came in, I think, definitely saw him though, but didn't see any sign of the Hicks. So don't know if they were there or not.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 06:11:59 pm by RedJam70 »

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #662 on: April 15, 2009, 06:09:29 pm »

David Moores was there, arrived with Kenny,no sign of our "custodians."
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #663 on: April 15, 2009, 06:13:03 pm »
Thanks RJ and electricghost.

I was in tears as well, and honestly can't remember singing YNWA so loudly before.

Offline 4-2-3-1

• dyscalculic
  • Kopite
« Reply #664 on: April 15, 2009, 06:28:12 pm »

One of Hicks sons was there, together with Ian Ayre.

Offline Wezza

• Main Stander
  • We want 6!
« Reply #665 on: April 15, 2009, 07:03:27 pm »
Not sure if this has any relevance. This is taken from interview Rafa did with Balague presumably just after the first Chelsea game last week

Guillem:   The club is progressing every year, and this year you are challenging for the title. Is that something we can expect over the next few years as well?

Benitez:  Hopefully yes. Today I had some news about the improvement of the club off the pitch; so the value of the club has increased since 2004, there`s a big, big difference now, which is very positive. The team is doing well on the pitch. So for me, you can see this squad is better than before - and hopefully will be better next season...
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later." Bob Paisley

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #666 on: April 15, 2009, 07:18:02 pm »

I was told that the Hicks left for London on monday night arriving tuesday to go to the Chelsea match and would attend the services on wednesday. I wasn't told who all were on the flight.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 07:53:56 pm by 4pool »

Offline AlldridgeNPT2008

• Kemlynite
« Reply #667 on: April 15, 2009, 08:11:39 pm »
the annoying thing with all this gillett and hicks crap going on is our new stadium aint getting built.

now from my point of view it was put on hold due escalating prices.

well with a recesion deeply underway and the building trade falling

like a stone through thin ice

would it  not be to there advantage now to get the ball rolling
as there is no demand for steal or any other building material for that matter,

which should mean reduced prices for materials and costs to some degree,

and if they started the stadia it would boost the economy of the liverpool
and offer a few jobs for the local building trade.
chris

Offline The Flying Pig

• Bill. Not improving with age.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth? Yes. Justice? Not yet. JFT96.
« Reply #668 on: April 15, 2009, 08:44:28 pm »
the annoying thing with all this gillett and hicks crap going on is our new stadium aint getting built.

now from my point of view it was put on hold due escalating prices.

well with a recesion deeply underway and the building trade falling

like a stone through thin ice

would it  not be to there advantage now to get the ball rolling
as there is no demand for steal or any other building material for that matter,

which should mean reduced prices for materials and costs to some degree,

and if they started the stadia it would boost the economy of the liverpool
and offer a few jobs for the local building trade.

All that would be great and would re-generate the Anfield/Breckfield area as well but,as they ain't got the money for it,it will remain a pipe dream unless/until we are sold to someone who can raise the money for it.
Suddenly I turned around and she was standin' there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns
"Come in", She said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm."

I might be in!

Offline Pollywood

• Anny Roader
  • S O S No 1416
« Reply #669 on: April 15, 2009, 09:23:17 pm »

Yes one was there he was at the end behind David Moores and Rick Parry.

Offline Matt Rankin

• Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Bottom Feeder.
« Reply #670 on: April 16, 2009, 12:06:59 am »
Time is a factor and EMPTY seats is the answer...

Offline PhilAnderer

• Kopite
  • Smack my arse
« Reply #671 on: April 16, 2009, 12:51:20 am »
to be honest I've had enough now. I think i speak for many of us, these fuckers need to throw in the towel asap. All I want is a harmonious board, stability at the top and funds to spend at minimal risk to the club.
These c unts are hemorrhaging cash from the club just to cover their 'purchase'.

I've never been one to wish harm on anybody, but I really hope these bastards are struck down with simultaneous heart attacks.

Sorry folks.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #672 on: April 16, 2009, 12:57:08 am »
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123967866588416173.html

Wall Street Journal...

Cheers but why 4 minutes after this did you feel it needed its own thread ? ?
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline RedJam70

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #673 on: April 16, 2009, 01:18:16 am »
Not sure how reliable Charles Sale is, but just a bit of gossip.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1170314/Charles-Sale-New-complications-Palace.html

Ian SIlvester, the new club secretary at Liverpool following the sudden death of Bryce Morrison, is quickly discovering the difficulties of dealing with the two warring American owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks who keep changing their minds about their ticket requirements for every match.

In the event neither of them turned up for the epic 4-4 draw at Stamford Bridge, although there were representatives there from the secretive Kuwaiti family conglomerate Al-Kharafi, who are still interested in buying the club.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #674 on: April 16, 2009, 02:33:33 am »

Interesting . . . . . . .

the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #675 on: April 16, 2009, 08:57:03 am »

Unfortunately, RJ, I know nothing about this journalist....but he writes for the Daily Mail.

Anyway, I find it quite ridiculous how journalists can't be trusted both here and across the pond, to inform us correctly whether the current owners or indeed prospective owners were in attendance at such a major football match.

=====================================================================

Global Soccer
On a Thrilling Night, Liverpool Loses With Pride
Article Tools Sponsored By
By ROB HUGHES
Published: April 15, 2009

LONDON — On their way to the stadium before their Champions League game against Chelsea in London, some Liverpool players pledged their performance to the memory of 96 fans of the club who died at a game 20 years ago. The players knew they would come face to face with families still grieving lost sons and daughters at a memorial service in Liverpool on Wednesday. And they knew that their chance of retrieving the quarterfinal was remote following a 3-1 defeat at home six days earlier.

They also knew, from experience, that the three previous matchups between Chelsea and Liverpool in this tournament had been grinding, mean-spirited stalemates that yielded a paltry total of three goals in six games. So it seemed daring, if not potentially demeaning to those whose memories the players said they were honoring, to offer Tuesday as a gift of remembrance.

How wrong such pessimism now appears. How wonderfully Liverpool chased a lost cause. How spirited was Chelsea’s response in a contest that ended 4-4 with hope alive on either side until the final whistle that Liverpool would pull off another extraordinary act of escapology in European competition. Think Istanbul 2005, when Liverpool came back from 3-0 down to beat AC Milan in the Champions League final, and you get some inkling of what this club has in its heart. Think of the past six seasons, in which Chelsea has reached the semifinals five times, and you realize how the London club found resolve to see out Tuesday. “It’s true that we ended up where we started,” said Rafael Benítez, the Liverpool manager, after the draw that meant his team was eliminated by a tennis score, 7-5, on aggregate. “But we showed our character and our quality, it’s no disgrace to lose like this. I am really proud of the players, and proud for the fans who were pushing and supporting the team the whole time.”

Guus Hiddink, the Chelsea coach, watched his side give away two goals before halftime and acknowledged there was “a little anger” in the locker room. It brought a response. The match was all-square, 2-2, before the hour and then went ahead. Liverpool replied again and took the lead with eight minutes remaining. Facing possible defeat, Chelsea scored. It was a pulsating affair.

“Ya,” Hiddink said. “It’s very dramatic. You think you are down and then you are up, then down again. You are in the game one minute, then you are out of it. Players make a lot of errors — that’s why it becomes so attractive to watch.” Speaking of attractions, Chelsea now meets Barcelona in the semifinals. Hiddink, an admirer of the free-flowing style with which Barcelona overwhelmed Bayern Munich, 5-1 on aggregate, is under no illusions that his team could get away with such errors at Camp Nou on April 28. Hiddink is an interim coach. Chelsea is his team only for a few months, after which he will leave, or so he keeps saying, to focus on his permanent role guiding Russia’s national squad to the 2010 World Cup. Until then, he exercises his right to tear into his Chelsea players at halftime.

“I can say there was a little anger,” he said afterwards. “Not just from the coach, but top players have the same anger. They know themselves they gave too much space and a good team with tactical awareness like Liverpool will punish you. I said ‘Hey, guys, this is not the way we talked about, this is not the way we will start the second half.”’ “But that’s why I like to work with this team, because they react,” he said. “They know they can score.”

They can score, and score again. The first half had been an open invitation to Liverpool, even a Liverpool missing its driving force Steven Gerrard who sat, injured, in the stands alongside one of the club’s American co-owners, George Gillett.

Fabio Aurelio impudently exploited a schoolboy error by Chelsea goalie Petr Cech, who left yards of space for Aurelio to score with a direct hit from a free kick 30 yards away. Xabi Alonso scored a penalty after he had been held back by defender Branislav Ivanovic who gripped him with both hands.

The response Hiddink sought was led by Didier Drogba, who surprised Pep Reina, the Liverpool goalkeeper, with a flick of his foot. Then came a free kick of such venomous velocity by the Brazilian Alex that Reina could see it coming but not get a hand to it.

Drogba, marauding in his forceful way, set up Frank Lampard to score after 76 minutes. Chelsea led 3-2 its overall edge was three goals.

Surely not even Liverpool could claw a way back from that? Benítez seemed to signal the surrender when he withdrew his main attacker, Fernando Torres, with 10 minutes to go. The message, however, seemed not to get through to his players.

Lucas struck a shot from outside the penalty area that deflected into the net off the torso of Michael Essien. Then Dirk Kuyt, with a mighty header, put Liverpool back in front.

At this point, not only was the contest solely in the players’ control, we, the audience, wished that the night could go on forever. It seemed a long time since Chelsea and Liverpool locked horns in such a vindictive fashion that Lampard broke the ankle of Alonso, and Alonso, when he was restored, took revenge.

Those were the days when José Mourinho coached Chelsea and Benítez was new to Liverpool. The bad blood between managers, one Portuguese and the other Spanish, seemed to infect the players who subsumed themselves to the vendetta like soldiers fighting a disreputable war.

With Mourinho gone, to coach Inter in Milan, the ill-will between the clubs has dissipated. On Tuesday, Benítez accepted Hiddink’s hand and his offer to drink wine together.

Their opportunity to do so was sealed by the final goal of the remarkable game Tuesday, the ball struck against one post and ricocheting off the other before crossing the line from Lampard’s shot.

The result wasn’t the right one to take back to Liverpool, but the performance fulfilled the promise.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/16/sports/soccer/16iht-SOCCER.html?ref=global-home

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #676 on: April 16, 2009, 09:16:24 am »
They can score, and score again. The first half had been an open invitation to Liverpool, even a Liverpool missing its driving force Steven Gerrard who sat, injured, in the stands alongside one of the club’s American co-owners, George Gillett.

I watched the game on TV and at first thought it was Gillette next to Gerrard but without a doubt it was not Gillett.

I don't understand how someone can get paid to write for a paper and not check up on what they are writing.

Offline HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #677 on: April 16, 2009, 09:18:37 am »
Big names mull joining forces in bid for Habs

ANDREW WILLIS

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

April 16, 2009 at 1:23 AM EDT

A shared passion for the Montreal Canadiens is making for strange bedfellows in Quebec business circles, as a consortium made up of pop star Céline Dion, Seagram heir Stephen Bronfman and Quebecor Inc. boss Pierre Karl Péladeau is considering a joint bid for the storied NHL team, financial sources report.

As the Canadiens begin a first-round playoff series with the Boston Bruins as heavy underdogs, majority owner George Gillett is into the second round of bids for the team and arena he purchased nine years ago for $185-million (U.S.). One investment banker familiar with the process said potential buyers who made "initial expressions of interest" now have full access to financial data on the Canadiens and the Bell Centre.

"There is a group bid being discussed, and it's clear that Gillett is very willing to sell if the price is right," said the investment banker, who is helping line up financing for potential bidders.

However, the banker and other sources familiar with the possible sale of the team cautioned it will be difficult to strike a partnership that satisfies the strong personalities of Dion and husband René Angelil, Claridge Investments head Bronfman and Péladeau, the dominant player in Quebec media.

This trio of potential buyers is said to be contemplating a dedicated pay-TV channel in Quebec that would carry Habs games and other hockey-related content as one way to increase revenues from the team.

Several major-league sports teams have launched these networks, to mixed reviews from fans. Regular-season Canadiens games are currently shown in the province on RDS, an arm of CTVglobemedia (which also owns The Globe and Mail).

Cirque du Soleil founder Guy Laliberté dropped out of the bidding for the team last week, according to sources in the financial community.

One financial executive who knows Laliberté said: "Guy is extremely careful in his money and is not going to get caught up in an enterprise where he doesn't have full control of the purse strings."

The Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, the provincial pension fund, is not expected to be an equity investor in the Canadiens, bank sources report. However, potential buyers are pitching the $120-billion pension fund for loans that would help finance the purchase, and are also trying to borrow from a number of major banks.

Gillett, 70, hired investment bank BMO Nesbitt Burns to weigh options for the Canadiens earlier this year, amidst a brutal economic downturn.

The NHL franchise, which has won 24 Stanley Cups, was recently valued at $335-million by Forbes magazine.

http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090416.wspthabs15/GSStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #678 on: April 16, 2009, 09:20:01 am »
Cheers but why 4 minutes after this did you feel it needed its own thread ? ?
He was afraid you would miss the rehash of the same article thats been doing its rounds for days.

Offline HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #679 on: April 16, 2009, 09:34:13 am »
I watched the game on TV and at first thought it was Gillette next to Gerrard but without a doubt it was not Gillett.

I don't understand how someone can get paid to write for a paper and not check up on what they are writing.

So, how about this one from a local paper?
======================================================================
One twist too many for comeback kings Liverpool FC

Apr 15 2009 by Chris Beesley, Daily Post

LIVERPOOL had asked for an unlikely comeback at Stamford Bridge and they got several. Unfortunately the final recovery was from Chelsea on the night rather than from Rafael Benitez’s side over the two legs. When the draw that paired these great domestic rivals who have met on 10 occasions in European under the Spaniard was made in Nyon last month there were collective groans.  Another cagey game of cat and mouse between sides who know each other inside out was envisaged but we ended up with more big twists than a Chubby Checker lookalike contest.

The impossible task of knocking out the Londoners in their own manor became seemingly even more improbable with an injured Steven Gerrard forced to watch the contest in the stands alongside co-owner George Gillett.

Although the 90 minutes of topsy-turvy action that followed provided entertaining but uncomfortable viewing for most of those involved, at least the smaller half of Anfield’s American double act was able to take things in at his leisure with the presence of the Liverpool skipper next to him more reassuring than any over his heavy duty security men.

.....edited

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/liverpool-fc/2009/04/15/one-twist-too-many-for-comeback-kings-liverpool-fc-55578-23387898/