Author Topic: Liverpool owner Hicks selling Texas Rangers shares  (Read 300931 times)

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
Re: Liverpool owner Hicks selling Texas Rangers shares
« Reply #600 on: April 14, 2009, 12:31:00 pm »
there was me hoping my attempt at making a discussion would bring out a decent reply from you, rather than a pathetic quip, no wonder this threads gone to shit
All you are arguing is that people do not have facts, if we had facts there would be no need to discuss.  Its the purpose of a forum.  Quite a few newspaper articles have no substance but some do and deserve discussion.  In recent weeks hicks finances have been shaken as do Gillette's, that's why it is currently being monitored,  sure everyone could wait until it actually happens but some would rather discuss.  Its is simple as that.

I thought you would have enjoyed the Sheldon quip, was just trying to ease your tension but i apologise if i nicked a nerve. 

PS,  i never said you defended hicks, i said you and a few others defend hicks finances.  Which in recent weeks has been blown away.
Disclaimer: The above post may not be based on facts even if stated as fact.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #601 on: April 14, 2009, 12:32:34 pm »
All you are arguing is that people do not have facts, if we had facts there would be no need to discuss.  Its the purpose of a forum.  Quite a few newspaper articles have no substance but some do and deserve discussion.  In recent weeks hicks finances have been shaken as do Gillette's, that's why it is currently being monitored,  sure everyone could wait until it actually happens but some would rather discuss.  Its is simple as that.

I thought you would have enjoyed the Sheldon quip, was just trying to ease your tension but i apologise if i nicked a nerve. 

PS,  i never said you defended hicks, i said you and a few others defend hicks finances.  Which in recent weeks has been blown away.

I still imagine he has lots of personal wealth that could help his business's no end should he want to.

The sheldon quip was quite funny as i sit here with a long sleeved shirt under my polo shirt.....

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #602 on: April 14, 2009, 12:34:11 pm »
R can we have a thread for news paper articles only for those of us who just want to read the latest without trolling through 2 pages of emotionally filled C***

You Know like media watch on the main site but with all the nasty stuff about them two included.
Why don't you start one and maintain it.  Not a bad idea,  might keep the moaners out too.  Ill even help when i come across news paper articles.

Offline reddwarf12003

• Anny Roader
  • What good is a history without a future
« Reply #603 on: April 14, 2009, 12:38:22 pm »
Thought about it, But don't really have time, I'm one of few people in the construction industry who r rushed of or feet. Only reason I'm on here now is I've got a few day off over easter.
Generally read the threads on my phone.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 12:42:06 pm by reddwarf12003 »

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #604 on: April 14, 2009, 12:43:16 pm »
I still imagine he has lots of personal wealth that could help his business's no end should he want to.

The sheldon quip was quite funny as i sit here with a long sleeved shirt under my polo shirt.....
Thats half the problem with hicks, he does have personal fortune, but he will not put any into the club or use it to help pay off loans he took out using what he purchased with the loans as an asset to secure the loan.  Its one of the reasons im pissed off.  Its why he is know as the LBO king.  He wont risk his own money. 

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #605 on: April 14, 2009, 12:45:30 pm »
He wont risk his own money. 

This is the crux of my worry/question.... etc.

So many people believe there are buyers interested, because... well why wouldn' t they, its a goldmine?

If this is the case then surely Hicks is better throwing in a bit of his own money as security, riding out this issue and then making the big bucks later on

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #606 on: April 14, 2009, 12:45:32 pm »
Thought about it, But don't really have time, I'm one of few people in the construction industry who r rushed of or feet. Only reason I'm on here now is I've got a few day off over easter.
Generally read the threads on my phone.
Looks like you will have to make do with this thread of shite then.

Offline RedJam70

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #607 on: April 14, 2009, 12:46:04 pm »
R can we have a thread for news paper articles only for those of us who just want to read the latest without trolling through 2 pages of emotionally filled C***

You Know like media watch on the main site but with all the nasty stuff about them two included.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=222637.0

All yours to do with what you will.

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #608 on: April 14, 2009, 12:48:22 pm »
This is the crux of my worry/question.... etc.

So many people believe there are buyers interested, because... well why wouldn' t they, its a goldmine?

If this is the case then surely Hicks is better throwing in a bit of his own money as security, riding out this issue and then making the big bucks later on

I thought about that.  but it must be his golden rule.  None of his own money goes in.  As soon as he does that and fails the banks will have his shirt of his back.  I think his own personal wealth is quite a bit to you or me, but the amounts he would require to pay of parts of loans or invest i dont think he has. 

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #609 on: April 14, 2009, 12:49:15 pm »
I thought about that.  but it must be his golden rule.  None of his own money goes in.  As soon as he does that and fails the banks will have his shirt of his back.  I think his own personal wealth is quite a bit to you or me, but the amounts he would require to pay of parts of loans or invest i dont think he has. 

fair enough, I would be interested in figures based on his personal wealth, speculation or not ;)

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #610 on: April 14, 2009, 12:50:35 pm »
And reddwarf starting your own thread, you can take the time yourself to unearth some of the newspaper articles which people like Harry and RedJam track down and post here, maybe. BTW we also like to keep a thread going for ITK info which has been spectacularly vindicated time and time again, often in the face of disbelief and abuse. (The case of Phoenix06 who told us about Kuwaiti interest months ahead of the story breaking is a case in point.) & who was it who told us not so long ago Hicks was feeling the pinch more than Gillett? I was (privately) sceptical at the time but lo and behold...

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #611 on: April 14, 2009, 12:52:46 pm »
And reddwarf starting your own thread, you can take the time yourself to unearth some of the newspaper articles which people like Harry and RedJam track down and post here, maybe. BTW we also like to keep a thread going for ITK info which has been spectacularly vindicated time and time again, often in the face of disbelief and abuse. (The case of Phoenix06 who told us about Kuwaiti interest months ahead of the story breaking is a case in point.) & who was it who told us not so long ago Hicks was feeling the pinch more than Gillett? I was (privately) sceptical at the time but lo and behold...

what happened that day in march we were told about ;)

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #612 on: April 14, 2009, 12:59:40 pm »
fair enough, I would be interested in figures based on his personal wealth, speculation or not ;)

I think once business are sold at a fair price and loans paid off he would have enough to be on par with a euro millions winner.  I dont think its easy to find much about what he has actually banked/secured away from everything else, guess work at best unless anyone else has any articles/figures.

on a rollover week ;)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 01:03:10 pm by fry »

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #613 on: April 14, 2009, 01:19:37 pm »

So I'll ask again I guess :D

If one of them pays of their half and the other doesn't, what happens?

I'll give you my 2p worth.

Say Gillett sells the Montreal Canadiens and along with other of his assets decides to pay off his half of the club.

Who does he pay off?

The loan is to Kop Holdings Ltd.

Does the money go there until the other half is put in to pay off the bank loans? In which case, imho, the money would draw interest and that would lower what Hicks owes.

So it's not so simple of Gillett or Hicks wanting to pay off their half.

What Gillett is basically doing is selling his half in Kop Holdings Ltd. Which means someone comes in and takes over his liabilities in KH plus pay him a profit. Or the reverse would be true if Hicks wanted to sell.

Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #614 on: April 14, 2009, 02:13:11 pm »
I'll give you my 2p worth.

Say Gillett sells the Montreal Canadiens and along with other of his assets decides to pay off his half of the club.

Who does he pay off?

The loan is to Kop Holdings Ltd.

Does the money go there until the other half is put in to pay off the bank loans? In which case, imho, the money would draw interest and that would lower what Hicks owes.

So it's not so simple of Gillett or Hicks wanting to pay off their half.

What Gillett is basically doing is selling his half in Kop Holdings Ltd. Which means someone comes in and takes over his liabilities in KH plus pay him a profit. Or the reverse would be true if Hicks wanted to sell.

Cheers mate. Some stuff I understand, some I really don't. I'll get there in the end. At the moment I can't understand how these jokers have arranged things should either one of them end up going tits up - both have a somewhat chequered past and neither are dumb enough to place their finances at the mercy of the other you'd think.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #615 on: April 14, 2009, 02:29:32 pm »
This topic should remain open and people should be disgussing what is happening with Hicks other franchises cause at the end of the day, our club was bought on credit notes, from his other franchises and if they are going tits up, its highly likely our club will go the same way if these pair of mingebag twats dont piss off.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline reddwarf12003

• Anny Roader
  • What good is a history without a future
« Reply #616 on: April 14, 2009, 02:53:37 pm »
This topic should remain open and people should be disgussing what is happening with Hicks other franchises cause at the end of the day, our club was bought on credit notes, from his other franchises and if they are going tits up, its highly likely our club will go the same way if these pair of mingebag twats dont piss off.
How can we discuss speculation, The only evidence that we have is what papers say, and we know how much truth they write. ( A lot of papers in this country seenm hell bent on slating us at every opertunitity

I'd rather keep my thoughts and anger for when the truth finally comes out. 

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: April 14, 2009, 02:59:35 pm »
Well, we look forward to you keeping your thoughts and anger to yourself then.

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #618 on: April 14, 2009, 03:05:29 pm »
How can we discuss speculation, The only evidence that we have is what papers say, and we know how much truth they write. ( A lot of papers in this country seenm hell bent on slating us at every opertunitity

I'd rather keep my thoughts and anger for when the truth finally comes out. 
You certainly have time to criticise this thread.  On top of the papers there are also facts such as H+G seeking buyers for their other assets. the fact about hicks defaulting on his loan. 

Its ironic that you accuse people of going round in circles when its you that is going round. 

Yer like a broken record today lad.

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #619 on: April 14, 2009, 06:43:57 pm »
More speculation.
=========================================================
Liverpool's future could be decided by Celine Dion
Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Liverpool co-owner George Gillett is on the brink of raising an estimated £272m from his 80 per cent interest in the Montreal Canadiens by selling them to pop star Celine Dion.

The Think Twice and Power of Love singer is one of the leading bidders hoping to snap up the National Hockey League team.

Other potential buyers including Cirque du Soleil founder Guy Laliberte and Quebec cable giant Quebecor Media.

The Bank of Montreal has signed confidentiality agreements with ten potential suitors who have until 5pm on Thursday to submit formal bids to Denver-based Gillett.

As well as buying the Canadiens, the successful bidder will acquire the Bell Center arena in Montreal and a concert promotion division.

Gillett wants the cash to strengthen his financial muscle as he prepares for another showdown with fellow Liverpool owner Tom Hicks.

Gillett is reputed to be keen to replace Hicks and is believed to be open to the idea of a new joint ownership scheme at Anfield.

But he would also be willing to stay on as a minority shareholder if investors in Dubai or Kuwait step forward and buy the Premier League club for around £450m.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/article.html?Liverpools_future_could_be_decided_by_Celine_Dion&in_article_id=619438&in_page_id=43
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #620 on: April 14, 2009, 06:45:32 pm »
20 minutes ago
Is Tom Hicks On The Ropes?
Posted By:Darren Rovell
Topics:Economy (U.S.) | Economy (Global) | Sports

You probably saw the news last week. Texas Rangers and Dallas Stars owner Tom Hicks, who also owns part of the Liverpool soccer club, defaulted on a $10 million payment connected to $525 million in loans.

It’s not the end of Hicks’ ownership reign, but it’s not a good sign, despite what Hicks would have you believe.

When the news broke, Hicks, who famously agreed to give Alex Rodriguez a 10-year, $252 million contract despite the fact that there weren’t teams within a sniff of that deal, played it off. He actually said that he defaulted intentionally.

While there are no immediate penalties for defaulting on a loan like this, it’s not like it hurts his personal credit rating, insiders I spoke to have said that they’ve never heard of a person doing this on purpose.

The next step in the process is for Hicks and those lending the money to sit down and negotiate a new payment schedule and perhaps a new number that needs to be owed.

The catch is that the ability of the lenders to be flexible has little to do with Hicks’ business and more to do with the still frozen credit markets.

So what happens if things can’t be worked out?

Well, the Wall Street Journal notes today that the lenders have agreed not to take control of the Dallas Stars for at least six months, abiding with the National Hockey League provisions that protect a team from immediately going into foreclosure.

So the immediate solution for Hicks is to sell pieces of his teams to raise enough cash to remain the owner or eventually just hand them over to the banks. But, trust me, the banks don’t want the teams. They want the money.

Hicks’ greatest problem might be his inability to accept reality. In mentioning that he’s ready to sell parts of his teams, he has mentioned selling a 49 percent stake, so that he can raise money while still maintaining his majority ownership position.

Not only has the value of his teams probably dropped at least 25 percent because of the marketplace, but the person who is buying has to have more cash than ever before. And someone who doesn’t have a sports team who is going to buy now is going to want majority ownership, if not immediately upon purchase, within a couple years.

The other way it could shake down is if either of the leagues decide to buy the teams for a reasonable price, hoping that they could flip it around when the economy clears up a bit. This actually last worked when Major League Baseball flipped the Montreal Expos and turned them into the Washington Nationals. But in order for the league to buy a team, they have to make sure that contraction is off the table.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/30211713

Offline HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #621 on: April 14, 2009, 10:21:50 pm »
So was Gillett at Chelsea tonight?

Wonderful performance by the lads. We would have done it if the Ref wasn't so gullible whenever Drogba dived.

Offline southern scouse

• Kopite
« Reply #622 on: April 14, 2009, 10:46:29 pm »
So was Gillett at Chelsea tonight?

Wonderful performance by the lads. We would have done it if the Ref wasn't so gullible whenever Dropba dived.

agree with the above HL, thought i saw GG next to Stevie when we scored the 2nd goal, but may have been mistaken?

Offline MarkoPanadero

• Main Stander
« Reply #623 on: April 14, 2009, 11:03:05 pm »
Good finds those last two articles!!

Reddwarf on a serious note mate, i come on this thread for a little bit of solace to be honest, gives  me hope others are talking about something that has wrecked my head  for two years  now, even the  last two articles are an insight into something that  is hard to understand!

All day I’ve been trying to read the thread, on my lunch,  after work etc but its been constantly interrupted with your comments. Please can you leave this thread if you don’t want to read it!!

Southeren Scouse, dont think it was that old dickhead, although for a split  second  i thought  it was myself,  he had that twat of a white jacket  on didnt he!!!!
The Balloon Head shouting in Lower Centenary

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #624 on: April 14, 2009, 11:21:47 pm »
20 minutes ago
Is Tom Hicks On The Ropes?
Hicks’ greatest problem might be his inability to accept reality

If the likes of CNBC and the Wall Street Journal are repeatedly coming out with articles with quotes like this, then he definitely is well and truly fucked.

Offline southern scouse

• Kopite
« Reply #625 on: April 15, 2009, 12:28:45 am »
Good finds those last two articles!!

Reddwarf on a serious note mate, i come on this thread for a little bit of solace to be honest, gives  me hope others are talking about something that has wrecked my head  for two years  now, even the  last two articles are an insight into something that  is hard to understand!

All day I’ve been trying to read the thread, on my lunch,  after work etc but its been constantly interrupted with your comments. Please can you leave this thread if you don’t want to read it!!

Southeren Scouse, dont think it was that old dickhead, although for a split  second  i thought  it was myself,  he had that twat of a white jacket  on didnt he!!!!

aye that was it, camera moved to fast for me to catch him properly..................................and he was smiling so maybe not GG.

Offline zimmy

• Anny Roader
« Reply #626 on: April 15, 2009, 01:41:49 am »

Fry mate, I will scream it out that SE defends fat boy hicks at every opportunity, as for fat boys finances i am sure SE
will know as he is his buddy.Anyone who quotes from the blue noses site is definitely a ringer. PS keep up the good work.

Offline HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #627 on: April 15, 2009, 08:15:05 am »
A third of 'junk' status firms expected to default, says S&P

Almost one in three companies with debt rated as "junk" could default on their loans by the end of next year, ratings agency Standard & Poor's said yesterday.

Buy-outs, or acquisitions financed mostly with debt, are likely to be at the forefront of defaults as a shrinking economy and the increasing cost of borrowing may leave some companies unable to pay their lenders.

House builders such as Taylor Wimpey and McCarthy & Stone, and estate agent Foxtons are among those to have needed - or are still negotiating - a deal with their banks to survive.

"With a deteriorating economic environment, poor corporate results, and restricted access to liquidity for the more vulnerable companies in western Europe, we believe the acceleration in defaults that occurred in the fourth quarter of 2008 will continue through this year and possibly into 2010," said Standard & Poor's credit analyst Paul Watters. S&P says between 90 and 112 western European firms rated as "speculative grade" - a category classified as riskier than "investment grade" - may default in 2009. This would represent a default rate of between 11.7% and 14.7%, above the agency's previous estimate of 8.7-11.1%.

Loans used to fund buy-outs will be difficult to refinance as banks are taking less risk after suffering billions of pounds of losses amid the global credit crunch.

Financial institutions such as Royal Bank of Scotland and HBOS substantially increased their lending in recent years, financing some of these deals.

RBS is a creditor to some football deals, such as the debt-fuelled acquisition of Liverpool FC by Tom Hicks and George Gillett, who are now trying to refinance the loan and sell an equity stake. Both banks are now partially nationalised.

About 45% of buy-out loans, amounting to €65.3bn (£58bn), are due to mature in 2013 and 2014, with another €47.4bn due in 2015.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/apr/15/companies-junk-status-default

Offline HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #628 on: April 15, 2009, 08:16:54 am »
The national press finally catching up with matters across the pond.
==========================================================================

Liverpool owner Tom Hicks feels pressure over American sports debts
Creditors of Liverpool owner Tom Hicks have formally declared his company Hicks Sports Group in default on debts of $525 million (£351million). The figure was raised against his American sports interests the Dallas Stars ice hockey franchise and the Texas Rangers baseball team. :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
By Paul Kelso
Last Updated: 7:43AM BST 15 Apr 2009

Hicks, who maintains that his American interests are entirely separate from his 50 per cent holding in Liverpool, was formally served with a default notice last week after missing a $10 million quarterly interest payment due on the loans.

The Texan financier is seeking to renegotiate the terms of the loans with a consortium of more than 40 banks led by Galatioto Sports Partners, a New York sports financing group that has lent HSG nearly $100 million.

Hicks insists that his decision to miss the payment is a negotiating tactic designed to force the banks to renegotiate in the light of the credit crisis.

The default notice signals the possibility that Hicks could ultimately lose control of the Stars and the Rangers, but a source close to Hicks said that would require the co-operation of National Hockey League and Major League Baseball commissioners, and that they were both supportive of the owner.

Hick's issues in the United States will raise further concern among Liverpool supporters about the club's future. Hicks and co-owner George Gillett are in negotiations with Royal Bank of Scotland over extending a £350 million loan secured in part against the club that comes up in July.

The pair are searching for a third-party investor willing to take a share in the club and help pay down the debt.

Hicks said he would continue to cover the cash needs of the two American franchises going forward while searching for fresh investors, but that he would not make interest payments until the banks come to the table.

"I'm confident that I'll be able to reach agreement with 51 per cent of the lenders because I will be able to fund all the cash needs of the two teams during the period that I'm bringing in new partners, which will help us to drastically reduce if not eliminate HSG's debt,'' Hicks told the Wall Street Journal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/5155151/Liverpool-owner-Tom-Hicks-feels-pressure-over-American-sports-debts.html

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #629 on: April 15, 2009, 09:14:06 am »
It seems that because he is selling or hoping to sell large stakes in his assets as soon as possible he feels that he no longer has to pay the interest.  What a total and utter fucking weasel.  You get a loan you pay the interest.  Since when do banks or lenders pay the interest for you?  That's their bread and butter.  Banks or lenders cannot be seen to be bowing down to this attitude. 

It was mentioned in a previous article that this tactic by hicks was a first.  I think it should be a last, Hicks needs to have an example made of him.  String that fucker up and shake him down for every penny he has. 

Interest payments are not something you can cancel on a whim.  If hicks gets away with this then it will set a precedent to other LBO greed mongers and could cause some problems. 

Offline incredibleL4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #630 on: April 15, 2009, 10:03:14 am »
If you want to re-negotiate with a bank, being up to date with your payments is actually the worst place to be.  If you are in arrears and the come up with some plan to avoid foreclosure or repossession or whatever you want to call it then the bank will usually listen.

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #631 on: April 15, 2009, 10:03:58 am »
From lakes posted on another forum.

well it seems things have taken a turn and my mates are not 100% sure what way its going to turn out but they do know that the G&H friendship has hit a new low, Hicks has gone past the point of needing the money to stay at the club he now needs money to keep his own home. Ml were shocked last week when he spoke to them for the first time in weeks, he still stated that he would like to keep the club, ML told him they can not see a way that can happen due to what has happend on his other loan.

what could be good news is that old Gill might buy out Hicks and then sell us on for a lower price than Hicks was looking for, i now most on here dont like George Gillett due to him trying to get Rafa out but when it comes down to it he is the one that can see Hicks is taking the club down the pan and stated the Fans need more than that and we did not give them it.
He is the one now that can get us out of this pit we are in.
I dont think he is looking to stay at the club once he has 100% of it.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline hiphopdj

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #632 on: April 15, 2009, 10:11:32 am »
For those of you watching in blue and white this is what a european cup looks like.

Offline Pollywood

• Anny Roader
  • S O S No 1416
« Reply #633 on: April 15, 2009, 10:17:45 am »
agree with the above HL, thought i saw GG next to Stevie when we scored the 2nd goal, but may have been mistaken?

Hi Bro  No it wasnt Gillett I think Clive said it was Terry Smith when the Camera went to Parry and Stevie.

Sis

Offline OneKop

• Kopite
« Reply #634 on: April 15, 2009, 10:32:08 am »
From lakes posted on another forum.

well it seems things have taken a turn and my mates are not 100% sure what way its going to turn out but they do know that the G&H friendship has hit a new low, Hicks has gone past the point of needing the money to stay at the club he now needs money to keep his own home. Ml were shocked last week when he spoke to them for the first time in weeks, he still stated that he would like to keep the club, ML told him they can not see a way that can happen due to what has happend on his other loan.

what could be good news is that old Gill might buy out Hicks and then sell us on for a lower price than Hicks was looking for, i now most on here dont like George Gillett due to him trying to get Rafa out but when it comes down to it he is the one that can see Hicks is taking the club down the pan and stated the Fans need more than that and we did not give them it.
He is the one now that can get us out of this pit we are in.
I dont think he is looking to stay at the club once he has 100% of it.

To be honest Lynds, i have been thinking very much along these lines.

I may be miles off the mark here, but what is the possibility of the following.

We all know that H&G have some sort of agreement that allows each of the two sleazebags to block each others sale, they most probably have first option on each others sale as well. So lets for arguments sake, say that the outstanding debt on the club is closer to the £300mill {not all stadium money has been used} now what if GG sells the Habs and the Bell Centre and manages to free up close to £100mill, he then does a deal with the Kuwaitis/Dubai to borrow the other £200mill, just enough to buy the club outright, on the understanding that he then sells 100% of the club to the Kuwaitis/Dubai for an agreed fee of £400mill?

GG would be making a quick £100mill profit, Hick's would be 100% removed, the Kuwaitis/Dubai would be getting 100% ownership for £50mill less than the figures going around.

I know its all if's and more if's, but you never know.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #635 on: April 15, 2009, 10:53:17 am »

We all know that H&G have some sort of agreement that allows each of the two sleazebags to block each others sale, they most probably have first option on each others sale as well. So lets for arguments sake, say that the outstanding debt on the club is closer to the £300mill {not all stadium money has been used} now what if GG sells the Habs and the Bell Centre and manages to free up close to £100mill, he then does a deal with the Kuwaitis/Dubai to borrow the other £200mill, just enough to buy the club outright, on the understanding that he then sells 100% of the club to the Kuwaitis/Dubai for an agreed fee of £400mill?

GG would be making a quick £100mill profit, Hick's would be 100% removed, the Kuwaitis/Dubai would be getting 100% ownership for £50mill less than the figures going around.

You know summat? That sounds entirely do-able!
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #636 on: April 15, 2009, 10:56:33 am »

Not convinced of Gillette in any way but out of the pair Gillette seems the most embarrassed. 

Offline OneKop

• Kopite
« Reply #637 on: April 15, 2009, 11:02:47 am »
The thing is, if the rumours of GG wanting to get out of the Sports business are true, and also about the so called $75mill loan with Springfield {think its them without checking} then it would also give him not only the opportunity to get a final swipe at Hick's, but also to clear said $75mill loan, make a profit, and still get out of Sports.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Offline HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #638 on: April 15, 2009, 12:41:35 pm »
I don't know if this article has already been posted
=============================================

Posted on Tue, Apr. 14, 2009 
Pressure from lenders could force sale of Texas Rangers, Dallas Stars, experts say
By ANDREA AHLESaahles@star-telegram.com

Dallas billionaire Tom Hicks risks losing control of the Texas Rangers and Dallas Stars now that his sports firm, HSG, has formally defaulted on $525 million in loans, financial experts say.

Although experts agree that creditors could force HSG into bankruptcy, that possibility also appears to be a long way down the road.

"A banker doesn’t want to own a baseball team, but it would be possible to put enough pressure on Hicks where the team ownership would be changed," said Stan Block, a finance professor at the Neeley School of Business at Texas Christian University.

Lenders have notified HSG that it has formally defaulted on $525 million in loans. Hicks said recently that he intentionally missed the March 31 interest payment as he tries to restructure the debt.

According to The Wall Street Journal, Hicks missed a $10 million quarterly interest payment on HSG loans. The paper reported that the largest lender is Galatioto Sports Partners, a New York sport-financing group, which has lent nearly $100 million to HSG.

In a statement on Tuesday, Hicks reiterated that he is in negotiations to restructure HSG’s debt and emphasized that the baseball and hockey teams have not been affected by the discussions.

"Both Major League Baseball and the National Hockey League have strong protections for their franchises when discussions such as these are under way," Hicks said. "As an owner and lender to HSG, I am working to negotiate something that will make economic sense going forward for me, HSG and its lenders."

However, experts say negotiating with lenders is much more difficult now because of the credit crisis and economic recession. And with the Stars not in the playoffs this year and the Rangers struggling to get fans through the gates, Hicks may also have a hard time attracting cash from new investors interested in buying a minority stake in a team.

"If you can find minority interest in the New York Yankees or the Boston Celtics, that’s one thing. But to buy a minority interest in the Texas Rangers is quite another," Block said. "If that’s part of his strategy to bring in more minority-interest investors, I think that’s going to be much more difficult than in the past."

Lenders could force Hicks instead to sell a majority of his stake in one or both of the teams. And if Hicks continues to miss interest payments, lenders could work with the league commissioners and attempt to find new ownership, experts say.

Major League Baseball has intervened to take control of a team before, as it did with the Montreal Expos earlier this decade, when that team’s owner bought the Florida Marlins. The Expos, which struggled for years with declining attendance, later moved to Washington, D.C. and became the Nationals.

"Just because Major League Baseball could exercise very strong ownership control over Hicks, the question is whether they would actually want to do that," said Victor Matheson, an economics professor at the College of Holy Cross in Worcester, Mass. "They don’t have any interest in having a failing franchise in the Metroplex."

In the past decade, several NHL franchises or their minority owners have entered bankruptcy. Usually, the teams have emerged from bankruptcy court with new owners, as the Pittsburgh Penguins did after filing in 1998.

To avoid bankruptcy, lenders may want Hicks to sell some other assets to pay down the debt if he can’t find new investors, said William Maxwell, a finance professor at the Cox School of Business at Southern Methodist University.

And while Hicks may be unwilling to do that to keep his teams, Maxwell said he expects some sort of deal to be struck before the end of the year. Hicks has said that he intends to retain control of the teams.

"It’s a big game of chicken going on," Maxwell said. "It could take a while to kind of play out, but again, it’s in everybody’s best interest to essentially do it as quickly as they can."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sports bankruptcies In the past 30-plus years, the only professional sports franchises to enter bankruptcy were in the National Hockey League.

Team Year
Pittsburgh Penguins 1975
Los Angeles Kings* 1995
Pittsburgh Penguins 1998
Ottawa Senators 2003
Buffalo Sabres 2003
Nashville Predators* 2008
*Minority owners only

Source: Victor Matheson, College of Holy Cross

ANDREA AHLES, 817-390-7631

http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/1317335.html
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 12:43:17 pm by HarryLabrador »

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #639 on: April 15, 2009, 12:59:46 pm »
I hate to break up the group think.

Yesterday watching the match one of Hicks mates was there. This gentleman is a millionaire himself. Not near the level of Hicks and Gillett though. I hung around after the match and after a few libations on his part ( I had 4 beers in 6 hours) the basic news is Hicks isn't selling his half. Now i know there are some that keep posting Hicks is going to have trouble keeping us, can't afford us, won't get a loan, but don't hold your breath on that just yet.

Also the Hicks were at the match last night and will be at the services today.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.