Author Topic: New Stadium Sponsorship discussion Carlsberg  (Read 3586 times)

Offline CLOCKSPEED

• his processor is underclocked
  • Kopite
New Stadium Sponsorship discussion Carlsberg
« on: May 15, 2009, 01:04:36 pm »
Probably the best deal in the world for Liverpool

Friday, 15 May 2009

Liverpool's home could be renamed Carlsberg Anfield in a controversial sponsorship deal

enlarge 
 Print  Email Search
Search
    Go

Bookmark & Share
Digg It
 del.icio.us
 Facebook
 Stumbleupon
 What are these?

Change font size: A | A | A
Liverpool's main sponsor Carlsberg is ready to discuss the idea of a naming rights deal for the proposed new stadium at Anfield, as part of a renewed deal with the club.

The Danish beer company, whose 18-year deal with Liverpool is the longest running in the Premier League, has offered the first indication that its, widely known, dismay at the in-fighting between Hicks and Gillett has receded as the two have put on a more united front and that the controversial idea of a Carlsberg Anfield — which would vastly increase their current £7m sponsorship deal — will be on the table when discussions begin in earnest at the end of the Premier League season.

“That will be part of the discussion I'm sure but there have been no decisions yet,” said Graham Roberts, Carlsberg UK's director of sponsorship.

Naming rights are a way of the Americans extracting serious money from the club they secured through a leverage buy-out in February 2007 and growing what, by current standards, is a relatively modest deal with Carlsberg when it expires at the end of next season.

Arsenal's 13-year stadium deal with Emirates is valued at £100m, a sum which includes an eight-year shirt deal.

It will up to the Americans, already undertaking a global review of their assets in an attempt to raise finances, to decide whether the additional revenue that naming rights will bring is worth the anticipated opposition from some fans to such a sensitive issue.Their dire need of money suggests they may be willing to make the move.

The fact that Carlsberg are willing to discuss the naming rights proposition reveals that the threat to the future relationship between the two partners has receded, though Roberts admitted that uncertainties surrounding the July expiry of bank deals rescheduling £350m of loans the Americans took to buy Liverpool has been a “distraction” on sponsorship talks.

Carlsberg is still seeking more assurances about whether the loans will be refinanced though the prevailing view, supported by leading football financier Keith Harris this week, is that they will be.

"We would be very interested in what happens [with the rescheduling]. I'm sure that the conversations that go on between the two parties will reflect that,” Roberts said.

But Carlsberg do appear to be more confident that the stadium, placed on hold by the Americans with the credit markets frozen, will actually be built.

“The stadium is a big step of their progression in the future and we want to be part of that,” Roberts said.

“The best thing is they (Hicks and Gillett) seem to have resolved the internal issues and they are going to take the next step. We need to understand where they are going with the stadium [but] we are really ambitious that they get the next right step as it will take them into the next stage of their progression [as a club] as well.

“They have done very well taking the next step in the league but it is about them setting the platform for the future."

His language was notably different to that from sources close to Carlsberg earlier this year, who spoke of the civil war at Anfield as "pretty bleak" and Hicks and Gillett attempted to create some sense of harmony, actually sitting together during the 4-4 draw against Arsenal at Anfield.

Naming rights, an idea which the Glazer family have considered inappropriate at Old Trafford, have been on the horizon at Liverpool ever since the Americans bought into the club, with hopes of a sponsorship deal nearer the £14.1m United receive from AIG in the deal which runs to next summer.

Outgoing chief executive Rick Parry is instinctively opposed to the idea but of the view that it might need to be considered for the greater good.

"To the supporters it will always be Anfield and personally I'd like the name to remain but if it's the difference in winning a trophy you've got to look at it sensitively," he has said.

Liverpool's commercial director Ian Ayre has been involved in work to build the Liverpool brand in Asia, where he worked for 15 years, and the club are considered to be currently the most Premier League's most active club in India.

Roberts indicated that Carlsberg, whose negotiating will be drive from their Copenhagen HQ, considers this to be a significant reason to renew the deal.

“There are certain things that are absolutely necessary for a beer company to go and sell its products in the likes of Asia and we will make sure that's in the contract,” Roberts said.

“There may be elements of the [old]contract that we don't need. What you had 18 years ago is not necessarily what you need now.”

Ayre has been overseeing the creation of India's first football development centre, in association with a local university at Pune, three hours from Mumbai, which will provide the kind of nutritional, fitness, tournament planning help which remains missing in India.

The nation with a population of 1.13billion, has 20million footballers and 60million viewers tuning into the Premier League.

"Having spent time working in India, you always have that inherent view that English clubs are coming in and taking money out of the local game," Ayre said.

"That's largely true. It was disappointing to see that clubs come in and take the money and left. When we at Liverpool approached India we had avoiding that [mistake] in mind.

“You can't build [support] around a product that only turns up every three years. It was important to build a strategy not just around our football team.”

Offline CLOCKSPEED

• his processor is underclocked
  • Kopite
Re: New Stadium Sponsorship discussion Carlsberg
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 01:10:07 pm »
and from guardian
Liverpool's shirt sponsor Carlsberg want their name on the Premier League club's new stadium, but the brewing company say they need assurances about the team's financial strength before extending its long-standing commercial partnership.

Their ties with the club stretch back to 1991, and the current contract, worth £7m per year, expires at the end of the 2009-10 season.

In announcing Carlsberg's intentions the head of sponsorship, Gareth Roberts, indicated his company would be monitoring the club's ability to refinance a loan of around £250m and, more crucially, progress on a new stadium.

The new 60,000-seat venue on the adjacent Stanley Park was due to have been ready by 2011, but the global economic downturn forced the co-owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr, to halt building work last year. Carlsberg, though, are still keen on the new stadium bearing their name.

"That will be part of the discussion I'm sure, but there's been no decisions yet," Roberts said.

Roberts found the off-field tensions between Hicks and Gillett distracting, but last month's show of unity, with the Americans sitting together during the 4-4 draw with Arsenal, was an encouraging sign as negotiations between the parties intensify.

"We need to understand where they are going with the stadium, what is the next step?" Roberts told the Associated Press. "[The ownership situation] is a distraction. The best thing is they seem to have resolved the internal issues and they are going to take the next step. If it's done in the right way and they take the next step then absolutely.

"The ownership issue is also about the stadium and the financial setup. The stadium is a big step of their progression in the future and we want to be part of that."

Naming rights have been on the owners' agenda since they bought the club in 2007, with Gillett saying the windfall could subsidise buying a high-profile player every year.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 01:19:35 pm »
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=242343.0

Probably needs moving, merging whatever....
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 01:32:07 pm »
How much ... ?

Offline Dave_the_Red

• Kopite
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 01:57:15 pm »
Think it's a load of shite myself. h&g are not here long term.  Why name the stadium after a beer? Would this not seriously reduce who they can sell too in the future

Offline The_Last_Don

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 07:57:56 pm »
Think it's a load of shite myself. h&g are not here long term.  Why name the stadium after a beer? Would this not seriously reduce who they can sell too in the future

i'm against this one also, advertising alcohol will in time be removed in the same way tobacco has been, can't imagine what would happen half way through the contract and the name having to change!

Offline redmen77

• Legacy Fan
  • Prepared to die for the King!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 10:25:23 pm »
We need to be realistic, Carlsberg have been a good sponsor for Liverpool and if they (or anyone) is prepared to pay £100M for the privelage of naming the stadium then from a purely commercial sense it has to be done. We complain continually about how the club fell behind in the commercial stakes because of its romantic notions. We can't have it both ways and this club needs to move forward and to do that you need hard cash!

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 10:32:09 pm »
We need to be realistic, Carlsberg have been a good sponsor for Liverpool and if they (or anyone) is prepared to pay £100M for the privelage of naming the stadium then from a purely commercial sense it has to be done. We complain continually about how the club fell behind in the commercial stakes because of its romantic notions. We can't have it both ways and this club needs to move forward and to do that you need hard cash!

Im sorry but thats laughable mate . . .
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Dave_the_Red

• Kopite
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 10:36:00 pm »

Chances of us getting a new stadium are romantic. The new Anfield we where promised would be called Anfield. h&g best start payin the 350 million the purchase debt  off first, the fucking greedy bastards. But as i expec t all they will be doin is robbing everybodies money.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 11:15:11 pm »
and from guardian
Their ties with the club stretch back to 1991,

Maybe when we get rid of Carlsburg we may actually win the league.

Offline redmen77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 11:40:31 pm »
Im sorry but thats laughable mate . . .

In what way have they been a bad sponsor?

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 12:06:06 am »
In what way have they been a bad sponsor?

In what way have they been good is the question ?
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline redmen77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 12:13:04 am »
In what way have they been good is the question ?

Care to expand because you've lost me!

What have they done thats so bad?

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 12:35:02 am »
Care to expand because you've lost me!

What have they done thats so bad?

They havent exactly pushed the boat out to sponsor the club have they , they pay pittence compared to the oher top clubs in Europe , and now they are saying they want to include stadium naming rights when a deal has already been signed for their continued shirt sponsorship . . . they want to uch for little return .

Your go .........

Offline redmen77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 11:19:40 pm »
They havent exactly pushed the boat out to sponsor the club have they , they pay pittence compared to the oher top clubs in Europe , and now they are saying they want to include stadium naming rights when a deal has already been signed for their continued shirt sponsorship . . . they want to uch for little return .

Your go .........

And you would say that was Calsbergs fault?

Wouldn't you think that they were paying the going rate (what Parry was asking) and either Parry wasn't looking elsewhere for offers or no other offers matched Carlsbergs?

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 03:39:11 am »
And you would say that was Calsbergs fault?

Wouldn't you think that they were paying the going rate (what Parry was asking) and either Parry wasn't looking elsewhere for offers or no other offers matched Carlsbergs?

Parry fucked up , dont get me wrong , I just dont think they have endeared themselves to us very well mate . . . . they took advantage of Parry's ineptness big time .

Offline chanti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 12:06:15 pm »
For 19 years they have been our sponsors and we did not win the Premier title.

Bad Omen I say.

I want Crown Paints as sponsors at least we will get a free paint job.

The low sale in the Middle East of our kits has to do with the beer .

Shankly Park !!!!!!!!

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 05:30:53 pm »
If we move stadium then it's nailed on the club will sell naming rights IMO. But I'll believe we're moving when I see it and not before. My only issue with Carlsberg is that they seemed happy to pack sponsoring us in before we won the European Cup. Then there was the knock on effect with Reebok and the European kit.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 05:33:30 pm by Alf »

Offline Dar

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 08:11:50 pm »
For 19 years they have been our sponsors and we did not win the Premier title.

Bad Omen I say.

I want Crown Paints as sponsors at least we will get a free paint job.

The low sale in the Middle East of our kits has to do with the beer .

Shankly Park !!!!!!!!

What i think, can we not get something with a bit more class instead of some shite beer.  Carlsberg stadium!! fucking nightmare or what!!