Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5735871 times)

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: General Arsenal Thread - Artettacking Front Four?
« Reply #59640 on: December 6, 2021, 11:36:03 pm »
Ffs
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #59641 on: December 6, 2021, 11:39:19 pm »
I always thought Aubamayang was something of a fraud

Was dining from a table he didn’t belong at for years for me. Now it’s very apparent

In terms of talent? No way, the guy put up very good numbers consistently for a decade. He was excellent a lot of that time. He also played a lot of football over that time - he was barely injured, but now maybe that is catching up with him, pace was a big part of his game, so maybe losing a step has had a big effect.

But my issue with Auba wasn’t a lack of talent - as there wasn’t a lack, it was just an attitude thing, the guy is a dick.
And sure, he isnt the only footballer who’s main interest is money, but he takes it to quite an extreme, he simply stopped caring the second Arsenal granted his wishes and gave him that huge contract.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59642 on: December 6, 2021, 11:46:33 pm »
I always thought Aubamayang was something of a fraud

Was dining from a table he didn’t belong at for years for me. Now it’s very apparent

He wasn't!!! Was at the very top level for some time and it couldn't really be argued with but pace was a big part of his game and attitude comes across as very questionable.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #59643 on: December 6, 2021, 11:46:49 pm »
Why wouldn't you play somebody who was trusted with the key as a young lad?
He was trusted with the key instead of his older brother. If that isn't someone to trust to lead a football team than who is?
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline semit5

• obsessed with faeces
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59644 on: December 6, 2021, 11:47:51 pm »
It's crazy the state these are in. What's baffling to me is quite a few on here after they put a couple of wins together (against dross) seemed to think they had improved under Wenger. It's got to be one of the worst Arsenal sides ever. Maybe ever is harsh as I don't know the full history of the club but in decades certainly, probably since their trophy drought after the 71 double.

Think Wenger has left recently mate

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #59645 on: December 7, 2021, 12:48:37 am »
In terms of talent? No way, the guy put up very good numbers consistently for a decade. He was excellent a lot of that time. He also played a lot of football over that time - he was barely injured, but now maybe that is catching up with him, pace was a big part of his game, so maybe losing a step has had a big effect.

But my issue with Auba wasn’t a lack of talent - as there wasn’t a lack, it was just an attitude thing, the guy is a dick.
And sure, he isnt the only footballer who’s main interest is money, but he takes it to quite an extreme, he simply stopped caring the second Arsenal granted his wishes and gave him that huge contract.
He wasn't!!! Was at the very top level for some time and it couldn't really be argued with but pace was a big part of his game and attitude comes across as very questionable.

Don’t get it wrong. Was very good

But was being mentioned alongside lewandowski Ibra and Raul etc

Just not a chance, those men even in their twilight we’re knocking goals in. 2 still are

He’s in his twilight years now and he’s a has been
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #59646 on: December 7, 2021, 03:57:56 am »
Trust the process, eh?

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59647 on: December 7, 2021, 06:47:03 am »
I have sat through their last four games (us, Newcastle, United and the Ev) and I can safely say I have no idea how they are trying to score goals. Slow tedious passing, no movement in behind, no one-touch passing, never seeming to get the ball to anyone good (i.e. Saka and Smith-Rowe) in any kind of space, and if they do manage to get it to either of them, it's just a prayer that they do something amazing with it.

A sad state of team.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59648 on: December 7, 2021, 06:56:04 am »
Arteta is awful. There doesn't seem to be any process to trust.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59649 on: December 7, 2021, 08:53:36 am »
That was abysmal. Fucking Everton could’ve had 5. It’s one thing getting battered at anfield and city , but the last 2 games were the tests that we should’ve won had we made any progress, and failed miserably

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59650 on: December 7, 2021, 09:25:39 am »
Arsenal fans though haha. Make a dance video of signing Partey and now want him out 15 months later.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59651 on: December 7, 2021, 09:38:46 am »
Arsenal fans though haha. Make a dance video of signing Partey and now want him out 15 months later.
Thats pretty much every signing of theirs for the last 15 years.

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #59652 on: December 7, 2021, 10:06:34 am »
Nothing to worry about as they will win the youngest squad award which obviously is the most important title to win.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #59653 on: December 7, 2021, 10:14:15 am »
I have sat through their last four games (us, Newcastle, United and the Ev) and I can safely say I have no idea how they are trying to score goals. Slow tedious passing, no movement in behind, no one-touch passing, never seeming to get the ball to anyone good (i.e. Saka and Smith-Rowe) in any kind of space, and if they do manage to get it to either of them, it's just a prayer that they do something amazing with it.

A sad state of team.

I've been saying this for the past year, but the resident Arsenal fans acted like they knew better. It was not about knowing their team, it was more about what we have been watching on the pitch, which has been uninspired for a long time and identifying how tactically poor they have been and the underlying stats have been faithful as well. Arsenal have been faring poorly on xG for a long time now.

But then, he won the FA Cup and the Community Shield and brought in tons of youngsters!

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59654 on: December 7, 2021, 10:26:19 am »
I've been saying this for the past year, but the resident Arsenal fans acted like they knew better. It was not about knowing their team, it was more about what we have been watching on the pitch, which has been uninspired for a long time and identifying how tactically poor they have been and the underlying stats have been faithful as well. Arsenal have been faring poorly on xG for a long time now.

But then, he won the FA Cup and the Community Shield and brought in tons of youngsters!

Football wise, they actually remind me of us under Hodgson scraping away at the door against Trabzonspor. No idea how ever move the ball into a dangerous position.

I'm struggling to believe that Partey that bulldozed around for Atletico is the same absolute passenger playing for Arsenal. Doesn't try a leg, except to take 30 yard shots that he's terrible at.

I cannot figure it out. I think there's a good bit of dross there but surely a decent coach would put better shape on them.

Genuinely baffled at what people see in that left back too. Tavares. Arsenal fans saying he was good after Tierney (god's gift to Scottish left backs, remember) couldn't get his place back. Likewise, he tried about three ridiculous shots from bizarre places against Newcastle, and without fail takes too many touches on the ball.

I have to say I think Crystal Palace look like a better team than Arsenal, with a better recruitment strategy at this stage.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59655 on: December 7, 2021, 10:39:26 am »
They always used to target out players and I think we should be doing the same with their younger players now. Saka and Smith-Rowe are too good for them.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59656 on: December 7, 2021, 10:40:00 am »

Arteta is awful and their recruitment has been questionable.  Apart from that, everything is fine.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #59657 on: December 7, 2021, 10:43:41 am »
Just caught the highlights. How utterly fallow Arsenal are. Everton were unlucky it was only 2-1, the second Richarlison offside was borderline but the first I'm not sure, it looked like the only part of him past the last man was his hand and lower arm?

Demarai Gray is finally looking like the player he should have become a lot sooner. I actually did back Gray to do well at Leverkusen (he didn't) but did say this when he signed for Everton:
I think Demarai Gray could still become a decent player, so I can see the thinking behind it, though it's worrying if Leverkusen have decided to get rid just 6 months into his time there.
The Blues are still pretty shite though, I wonder how long they give Rafa? He's not exactly going to have opportunity to bring his own players in yet, but they have a massively expensive squad, despite how poor it is.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59658 on: December 7, 2021, 11:06:08 am »
Don’t get it wrong. Was very good

But was being mentioned alongside lewandowski Ibra and Raul etc

Just not a chance, those men even in their twilight we’re knocking goals in. 2 still are

He’s in his twilight years now and he’s a has been

But not everyone sustains the numbers and it's pretty tough to call a lot of the time. Have someone tell you prime Torres would look a fraction of the player just a few years later and you likely would have told them they're delusional.

Its natural to name them in the lists with the greats at their peak, if you put up elite numbers.... the comparison is gonna be the elite. No one was gonna mention him along with the good for a while but didn't last strikers because the longevity remains to be seen.

Fair play to you if you called it but he hardly looked a player who's form would fall off a cliff. To add to that, playing in a shite Arsenal side, despite his terribly crappy form, he's still on 68 goals in 128 games, that's still pretty high numbers

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59659 on: December 7, 2021, 11:09:59 am »

To add to that, playing in a shite Arsenal side, despite his terribly crappy form, he's still on 68 goals in 128 games, that's still pretty high numbers

Exactly.

2011–2013   Saint-Étienne   73   (35)
2013–2018   Borussia Dortmund   144   (98)
2018–           Arsenal   128   (68)

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59660 on: December 7, 2021, 11:18:34 am »

We've been judging it fairly as we've seen it. North Bank & I have not claimed we are great, & not claimed that we are a fluid attacking team, so I'm not sure how we are saying we know better.

We knew where we were, which is miles away from the top 3 sides, & in with the rest of the pack of also rans. That's our level, & at that level anyone can win games against each other but at the same time we can lose games against each other.

Ive also acknowledged that we need to see improvement this season. We started to see improvements in results, but a lot to be desired in terms of forward play consistently. Like I have said a lot, we play in spurts in 15 mins spells, & then just go into a shell for half a game. Its frustrating, & clearly not good enough when results don't follow.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59661 on: December 7, 2021, 11:41:34 am »
We've been judging it fairly as we've seen it. North Bank & I have not claimed we are great, & not claimed that we are a fluid attacking team, so I'm not sure how we are saying we know better.

We knew where we were, which is miles away from the top 3 sides, & in with the rest of the pack of also rans. That's our level, & at that level anyone can win games against each other but at the same time we can lose games against each other.

Ive also acknowledged that we need to see improvement this season. We started to see improvements in results, but a lot to be desired in terms of forward play consistently. Like I have said a lot, we play in spurts in 15 mins spells, & then just go into a shell for half a game. Its frustrating, & clearly not good enough when results don't follow.

Very true.  It's all a bit much of a muchness down there.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59662 on: December 7, 2021, 11:50:13 am »
They always used to target out players and I think we should be doing the same with their younger players now. Saka and Smith-Rowe are too good for them.
Saka wouldn't get into our team.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #59663 on: December 7, 2021, 11:55:07 am »

Yes, but are you only below the Top 3? Can you match West Ham, Spurs and United? Can you really challenge for 4th place under this management? Spurs and United are improving whereas your game-play and results are the same. The point is that, even when you were on some false runs like unbeaten streaks under Arteta before this season, some of us could see that you were only winning against some poor sides or fluking wins and were not actually playing well. So, a bad run coming eventually, like it did last season, is only expected. You finished 8th, one season when Arteta took over half-way - that's fine. But finishing 8th again after a full season with a drab style of play is a red flag. And now, even after spending so much, you are still at the same level.

What is that improvement? You wanted to challenge for Top 4 initially after spending all that money. Now, that looks far away without changes. So, Top 6? Will 7th be an improvement? Your style of play and creativity has not improved one bit to foreshadow any of these expected improvements in the table.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #59664 on: December 7, 2021, 12:03:35 pm »
Saka wouldn't get into our team.
He's also only just turned 20 and carried them at times last season - he's quality, will become top class and I'd snap Arsenal's hand off if they were willing to sell. He probably wouldn't be an automatic starter for us, you're right, but he'd be a brilliant squad addition and future star.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #59665 on: December 7, 2021, 12:06:39 pm »
As my bezzies are both gooners, and the colleague I sit by at work is a gooner; I hope their current form continues ad finitum.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59666 on: December 7, 2021, 12:14:50 pm »
Seeing how Salah and Mane play, and learning from Klopp, could turn Saka into an absolutely incredible player. We won't be getting him though. Such a shame our team and coaching structure outstrips our financial resources at the moment. Obviously much better than the other way round! But it'd be nice if they were more in sync.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59667 on: December 7, 2021, 12:17:41 pm »
He's also only just turned 20 and carried them at times last season - he's quality, will become top class and I'd snap Arsenal's hand off if they were willing to sell. He probably wouldn't be an automatic starter for us, you're right, but he'd be a brilliant squad addition and future star.
That's how I see him. He is also very flexible so would get a lot of games.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59668 on: December 7, 2021, 12:33:16 pm »
This is probably the ceiling of what this squad can achieve eg 7th?

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59669 on: December 7, 2021, 12:48:03 pm »
This is probably the ceiling of what this squad manager can achieve eg 7th?

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #59670 on: December 7, 2021, 01:11:29 pm »
A better manager would have this team competing with Spurs, West Ham, and United. Arteta just doesn't have a clue.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59671 on: December 7, 2021, 02:36:14 pm »
Yes, but are you only below the Top 3? Can you match West Ham, Spurs and United? Can you really challenge for 4th place under this management? Spurs and United are improving whereas your game-play and results are the same. The point is that, even when you were on some false runs like unbeaten streaks under Arteta before this season, some of us could see that you were only winning against some poor sides or fluking wins and were not actually playing well. So, a bad run coming eventually, like it did last season, is only expected. You finished 8th, one season when Arteta took over half-way - that's fine. But finishing 8th again after a full season with a drab style of play is a red flag. And now, even after spending so much, you are still at the same level.

What is that improvement? You wanted to challenge for Top 4 initially after spending all that money. Now, that looks far away without changes. So, Top 6? Will 7th be an improvement? Your style of play and creativity has not improved one bit to foreshadow any of these expected improvements in the table.

We don't know where we are. We don't really know where Utd are, where Spurs is, where West Ham is, because we are 15 games into a season. Sure, on paper Spurs should get better, same with Utd, but we don't actually know that yet. Theres 4 points between 4th & 7th, so it's all still up in the air, I'm not sure I get the comments about us competing with West Ham & Spurs, because we currently are?!  ???

What did I see as improvement? Well, to be honest with you at the start of the season I seen top 4 as sewn up, so I was thinking 5th or 6th would be our limit. I wanted to see better performances, a more consistent style of play, better attacking play, so we aren't really seeing that. Considering how shit we were up until Xmas last season and reached 61 points, I was hoping we could reach the 70 point mark, as a mark of improvement. I have my doubts whether we can reach that now.

I'm certainly doubting that Arteta can provide the improvement needed, if it were up to me I'd go out & try & get Ten Hagg & Overmars, maybe even Potter, but I don't think that's in the boards thinking at all yet.
« Last Edit: December 7, 2021, 03:00:06 pm by ScottishGoon »

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59672 on: December 7, 2021, 02:48:43 pm »
Every time I think Arsenal might be healing I see one of three things;

1- Auba and Lacazette. The latter especially, but they seemingly learned nothing from the Ozil contract.

2- a manager that has them afraid to think for themselves. Beat the press?  Great now what, shit what am I supposed to do coach….oh look, the press is set up again. Theres no room for someone like ESR or Odegaard to take over a game even if they were those type of players.  The tactics seem to be a python on their attacking play for long stretches of every match.

3- Xhaka. I get why he plays him sometimes, because it’s not like the alternatives are tearing up trees, but there he is again last night being easily torched on the break. Taking a stone wall yellow because someone was running at him.  He’s a massive liability in many phases of the game but Arteta gets him a new contract.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59673 on: December 7, 2021, 02:49:06 pm »
Saka, Smith Rowe and Martinelli are all good. Outside of that i wouldn't want any of them here. Maybe Tierney to polish Tsimikas and Robbo's boots.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #59674 on: December 7, 2021, 02:49:16 pm »
Almost feel like we broke them a little. Unbeaten in ten before they came to Anfield and now three defeats in four
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Darkness

• Tedious WUM, loves betting on Man U
  • Main Stander
« Reply #59675 on: December 7, 2021, 03:07:45 pm »
Almost feel like we broke them a little. Unbeaten in ten before they came to Anfield and now three defeats in four
That game came at the worst time for Arsenal, Arsenal on their best run for years meanwhile Liverpool had just lost at West Ham it was always gonna be a massacre which would send Arsenal back into mediocrity.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #59676 on: December 7, 2021, 03:13:22 pm »
We don't know where we are. We don't really know where Utd are, where Spurs is, where West Ham is, because we are 15 games into a season. Sure, on paper Spurs should get better, same with Utd, but we don't actually know that yet. Theres 4 points between 4th & 7th, so it's all still up in the air, I'm not sure I get the comments about us competing with West Ham & Spurs, because we currently are?!  ???

It just looks like you are competing with them for now. You say you don't know, but haven't we seen this all before? You finished behind West Ham and Spurs last season. West Ham are improving, Spurs have got an elite manager now and are improving, while you've not improved an ounce despite spending all that money. It just looks like it's in the air, but looking at how you are playing, do you really think you will improve at a faster rate than Spurs and United? Not happening, mate, until you change managers. Even then, it's not going to be easy.

What did I see as improvement? Well, to be honest with you at the start of the season I seen top 4 as sewn up, so I was thinking 5th or 6th would be our limit. I wanted to see better performances, a more consistent style of play, better attacking play, so we aren't really seeing that. Considering how shit we were up until Xmas last season and reached 61 points, I was hoping we could reach the 70 point mark, as a mark of improvement. I have my doubts whether we can reach that now.

I'm certainly doubting that Arteta can provide the impression that improvement needed, if it were up to me I'd go out & try & get Ten Hagg & Overmars, maybe you ven Potter, but I don't think that's in the boards thinking at all yet.

Fair enough about your expectations, I just don't know how you were so hopeful when you didn't see any signs of the highlighted in 1 and 1/2 years, and it's not as if he has done some big things somewhere else before to be hopeful. He's a rookie manager. At least under Ole, United papered over cracks for a while with fake penalties and some lucky wins in the CL. You have none of those, the cracks are there for all to see and have been there for quite some time.

In terms of projecting equivalent results over last season with your current results in 15 games, you are on track to get 57 points, that's way below the 70 point mark you are expecting.

As for your last point, I agree. You should've changed before, but you should absolutely be questioning him and getting a competent manager in if you want a change of fortunes. At least, you can dream of those things you mentioned for next season, if you do that.

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #59677 on: December 7, 2021, 03:23:58 pm »
Arsenal will finish below West Ham. Thats a dead cert. WH are playing well and Arsenal dont know when or how to defend and when to attack. Its like they cant make up their collective minds what they are doing, which is what a manager should be organising.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #59678 on: December 7, 2021, 03:55:24 pm »
The £72 million they paid for Pepe is looking like good business isnt it?  ::)

That's in addition to the eye-watering wage that Aubameyang is on, who after getting the contract gave up being a footballer.
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #59679 on: December 7, 2021, 04:03:46 pm »
The Aubameyang contract is one of the most staggering pieces of incompetence I've seen in quite some time, considering what happened with Ozil.     
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.