Author Topic: This is where bottle comes into play!  (Read 5603 times)

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
This is where bottle comes into play!
« on: February 3, 2009, 06:23:38 pm »

It’s the beginning of February, a word my female work colleagues seem to struggle pronouncing, and we find ourselves 2 points adrift of the current champions, who have themselves a game in hand as well. The mood amongst fans is good, mainly because we beat Chelsea Sunday, thanks to our kid Fernando, after a controlled performance. No doubt the mood would be different if we were in the exact same scenario we are in now, but had just dropped 2 points against Middlesbrough or somebody. That’s how fickle and tender our emotions have been this season.

This is all of course for good reason. We are so desperate for the title that we are hurting ourselves, and it’s the same throughout the club, from the stands to the boardrooms. I’m not even old enough to remember when we last won the title in 1990, I was barely a year old. Those of you who are of an age to appreciate that feeling you had in 1990, are probably just as desperate for it back as I am to taste it for the first time. I’m sure some of you are of a similar age to Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard, starry eyed young bucks, who must relate to the two captains of our club every single time they step on Anfield turf.

There is of course Rafa, who has gone from “losing it” to “genius” in the space of 90 minutes, and is of course gambling with the sale of Robbie Keane. I’ve seen Robbie and Rafa’s names in the same articles during the past 6 months to suggest it hasn’t been 6 months, but 7 or 8 seasons they have both been at the club. Rafa has a point to prove, well a few actually. In short, Rafa wants to say “I’m not losing it, I am good enough, my methods do work, I am the man for this club, and fuck the Americans, fuck the media, and fuck Mr Ferguson”. Not that I condone Rafas language.

The “facht” United are one league title away from us, is enough ammunition for anybody to really, really want to win the league this year.

As we know, this has caused severe tension on all parts. Rafa suddenly starts playing mind games, although fair play to him I suppose. Fans booing players and performances, tensions running through players that can’t break down that parked bus. The frustration and pressure is affecting the whole club, and we need to do something about it before it costs us number 19.

Take a step back, and you will notice that we are probably in the best position we’ve been in all season. Being top, somehow didn’t suit us. Expectations got to the players, and as fans you’re constantly looking down at who is creeping up on you. Although many said “it’s a great view down, from up here”, really, we look our best when we have something to chase, when we’re underdogs. We are the predators, United are the prey, and by fuck we are gunna’ have to chase hard to get our rewards, but we can do it, if we all keep calm, keep our bottle, and work together.

The last thing we can afford to do is bottle it; we’ve dragged ourselves back into the title hunt, and possibly pushed Chelsea aside of it. It looks as though it’s us and them.

Here’s a little thought that might add to our determination, that’s determination, not desperation, to win the title. If Mr Ferguson equals our tally, he will stay at least one more season to try and beat us, take United one title ahead of Liverpool, and call it a day. If he doesn’t win it this season, we are two clear again, which might be to much for Mr Ferguson to claw back, and he might just call it a day there, leaving United needing a manager, players possibly wanting out, and whole lot of rebuilding to do. That would leave the door wide open for Rafa to build Liverpool FC onto greatness again, rebuild that lead.

What we need to do to make sure this occurs, is fight. Fight to the death, just like Istanbul. Your 3.00 kick offs against Fulham and such likes needs to be like a European tie verses, well Real Madrid. Every game we need to throw everything we have at our team - every last breath! Every time one of our players picks up the ball, no matter who it is, the volume needs to rise, the expectation needs to lift, make that player feel as though he is the best in the world, and that he can do anything. Make the blood rush through his veins, make him invincible. Every time we concede, the noise level rises seconds later as we urge our side on to come back. By fuck we can beat AC Milan from 3-0 down, I’m sure we can crack open relegation sides at Anfield if we get behind our team.

It’s about taking responsibility. Rafa is doing it, the players are doing it in the main, but we fans are severely lacking at times. To quick are we to get frustrated and get the arse. Understandable, but not what we need, and if the players performed the way we have at times, we wouldn’t even be in this title race. Things need to change. We need to keep our heads and keep our bottle, and support our team unconditionally. I’m afraid praying will do nothing for us (apologies to those who have faith), we need fucking want it and not assume it’s ours by right. Every thing we do effects the players on the pitch and a huge dose of positivism is hugely required.

We won’t go the rest of the season without dropping points, but nor will United. We have one major advantage that our players didn’t travel to the other side of the world in December, and hopefully that will come back to haunt United.

Ever time we go forward, the crowd needs to raise it, every time we concede, the crowd needs to raise it. When it looks like we just can’t break somebody down, the crowd needs to raise it, even if it merely hinders the defending sides communication. Every time, raise the roof, louder and fucking louder. This title is in our hands as much as it is the players, and we need to do our bit. If we haven’t won the title in May, it’s not just the players that have lost it, it’s us. We should want to win this thing more than practically anybody else at the club, and it’s time to fucking show the world we mean business! Keep our fucking bottle!
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline johnk

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: This is where bottle comes into play!
« Reply #1 on: February 3, 2009, 06:27:30 pm »
AMEN

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #2 on: February 3, 2009, 06:32:35 pm »
Thanks for that.

Positivity is creeping back onto the boards...

Good stuff mate.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #3 on: February 3, 2009, 06:32:36 pm »
Good read that.

I completely agree that there is added pressure on us this year, and with it being so long since we properly challenged, and with United looking to equal our record and being what seems to be our major competitors for the title, its all just adding up to a sky sports wankable weekend come the 14th of March (think thats the date off my head)

there is still a long way to go and still lots of points that will be dropped, lots of injuries and knocks, suspensions, decisions , from players managers, ref's and the FA to go yet but we really are in with a fighting chance as long as we can hold it together.

The way we have performed in finals in more recent years and the big games I like to think if it were to come down to a one off we would be capable of keeping our ball and doing what we need to do, however whether we can do this over a longer period of time domestically is something that we will have to answer, and a good run now would certainly help both our points total obviously, but our belief too which right now is as important.

Offline somaliclub

• Main Stander
« Reply #4 on: February 3, 2009, 06:34:53 pm »
Excellent post, well  done.
Beneath that wilderness concealed / You'll find a football field...

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #5 on: February 3, 2009, 06:39:36 pm »
The whole, equalling 18 league titles thing seems a stickler for lots of reds.

I can understand why. All the 'forever in our shadow', "18:5" etc etc. But to me, its like a rod for our own backs.

Records are there to be broken.

Some fans are gripped with fear that this will be equalled. Its all down to bragging rights, and for me, I couldnt give a fuck. Its history. Proud and glorious, but its history.

The 'record' is like a weight around our necks at the minute.

I don't know, I'm just about to have my tea, but there is an awful lot more to be said about the mentality of some of our fans regarding the 'record'.

If its broken, life goes on, the world will spin, and we will still be LFC

Not that it will be broke any time soon, mind ;)
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline Jimmy Case

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6 on: February 3, 2009, 06:47:40 pm »
Funny word bottle - comes from the cockney slang "bottle and glass" obviously pronounced "bottle and glars" in the smoke. Rhymes with Arse. So, "his bottle and glars has gone"

Not a lot of people know that.
"Can I mind your car mister?" "No thanks lad, I've got an Alsation in the back"

"Can it put fires out?"

Offline John McKenna

• Main Stander
  • Me having no education. I had to use my brains
« Reply #7 on: February 3, 2009, 06:49:32 pm »
Good post. Them lot getting down to our record is the crux of all this. We need to be positive as fans at Anfield in particular and get behind the team unconditionally AT THE MATCH. Have your moans and whinges if you like or constructive criticisms (which would be better) at home or in the pub or on forums, but get behind the team at the games!
“Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.”

Offline gerrardspetal

• Rabid psycho nut harvester with no idea - but she did have some points
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #8 on: February 3, 2009, 06:54:07 pm »
Very good post. Roll on March 14th. ;D

I think I will be bricking it like but BRING IT ON!!!!
“You could say it’s not about being local, but about being vocal.
Kristian is a idiot.  A bad idiot.  Also a virgin.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline andeeeee

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #9 on: February 3, 2009, 06:56:14 pm »
our 18 was done in the good old days before sky this record will never be broken  , we have to catch them now and in 100 years we could have another 18 and be years ahead of them again

Offline zamagiure

• tujenkins
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 3, 2009, 06:58:55 pm »
How many more rallying cries are we going to read
mines a pint

Offline John McKenna

• Main Stander
  • Me having no education. I had to use my brains
« Reply #11 on: February 3, 2009, 07:01:25 pm »

Fourteen
“Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.”

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #12 on: February 3, 2009, 07:01:37 pm »
Excellent post Daws..

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 3, 2009, 07:02:51 pm »
I'd rather a forum with a million rally cries than one that slags us off.

Offline Mecca Kenny 77

• Main Stander
« Reply #14 on: February 3, 2009, 07:02:54 pm »
All those fickle minded, snake tongue so called supporters should read this to give them some perspective. That includes some former players.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #15 on: February 3, 2009, 07:07:21 pm »
How much of this 'Rafa has lost it' malarkey is self inflicted to take pressue off the players?

He's a clever lad is our Rafa.

And I'd be Mr. Grumpy too if I had 3 procedures in a week.
Kill the humourless

Offline zamagiure

• tujenkins
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 3, 2009, 07:09:04 pm »
Fourteen
One should be enough. Why can we not have the attitude from the start. After every setback we read a rallying cry. After sunday this should come naturaly, but i know it wont
mines a pint

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 3, 2009, 07:11:23 pm »
One should be enough. Why can we not have the attitude from the start. After every setback we read a rallying cry. After sunday this should come naturaly, but i know it wont
Would you rather read threads about Torres's hair and the likes?

Online Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #18 on: February 3, 2009, 07:12:31 pm »

probably loads because most of them dont seem to work. We are into february and two points behind. We beat chelsea 2-0 sunday and in the last minutes of the game.

There is no doubt in my mind that the fans can make a huge difference to our title challenge. the players will kick off at a quicker tempo the more atmosphere there is. We need more urgency from the off and the fans can help that

alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #19 on: February 3, 2009, 07:13:30 pm »

None if you don't want to?

Well in Daws and I agree with RedNich too

Offline sirKennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 3, 2009, 07:13:48 pm »
Old enough to remember clinching the title in 1964,the start of a glorious era in our history.
But this would be the best ever if we hold our nerve.

Offline zamagiure

• tujenkins
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 3, 2009, 07:16:18 pm »
probably loads because most of them dont seem to work. We are into february and two points behind. We beat chelsea 2-0 sunday and in the last minutes of the game.

There is no doubt in my mind that the fans can make a huge difference to our title challenge. the players will kick off at a quicker tempo the more atmosphere there is. We need more urgency from the off and the fans can help that
Quote:Probably loads because most of them dont seem to work: Thats what im on about.

mines a pint

royhendo

« Reply #22 on: February 3, 2009, 07:19:57 pm »
Cheers for that Daws!

I prescribe 4 a day to be taken after meals in suppository form.

Offline liverboy74

• Main Stander
« Reply #23 on: February 3, 2009, 07:23:03 pm »
Awesome post mate  :wellin, not sure Chelsea are close to out yet though.

Raise the roof indeed!
'If a player isn't interfering with play or seeking to gain an advantage, then he should be !'

Offline Fighting Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • I wouldn't ride her into battle !!!
« Reply #24 on: February 3, 2009, 07:31:03 pm »
Excellent post, if there are any players lurking, pin this post up in the dressing room :D

Offline jamiehill

• Kopite
  • MacIntyre, Treadmore and Davitt
« Reply #25 on: February 3, 2009, 08:13:22 pm »
The whole, equalling 18 league titles thing seems a stickler for lots of reds.

I can understand why. All the 'forever in our shadow', "18:5" etc etc. But to me, its like a rod for our own backs.

Records are there to be broken.

Some fans are gripped with fear that this will be equalled. Its all down to bragging rights, and for me, I couldnt give a fuck. Its history. Proud and glorious, but its history.

The 'record' is like a weight around our necks at the minute.

I don't know, I'm just about to have my tea, but there is an awful lot more to be said about the mentality of some of our fans regarding the 'record'.

If its broken, life goes on, the world will spin, and we will still be LFC

Not that it will be broke any time soon, mind ;)

I'm sure AC Milan weren't thinking that in the 2007 Champions League Final. We were just about to pull up level with their European Cup record. We are now two behind.

I would love to see the Mancs two behind at the end of this season. It might deflate them and at the same time give Liverpool FC back our mythical status.

Just think of the banners that would go out next season. Just imagine the celebration. It would be bigger than 2005.

There's one thing we haven't got that we had in 2005 though and that's a tune for the team. A bit like 'Ring of Fire'.

That's what we really need. A tune for the team. The Torres Song is just too catchy. Once you get it in your head, you can't stop.
The English club proved that miracles really do exist. I've now made Liverpool my English team. They showed that football is the most beautiful sport of all. They showed their unconditional support at half-time when they were losing 3-0 and still they didn't stop singing." Diego Maradona

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #26 on: February 3, 2009, 08:31:24 pm »
Records aren't that important...........nice to be able to say it but recent results are more important. Leeds have a great past but do you think anybody really associates the days of Billy Bremner with the current team?

One way or the other this is an important year. Winning is within possibility but only if all the players really work hard. However loosing can also be useful if lessons are learnt and if these are used to improve. A flash in the pan win isn't what we need......we need to move up to the next level and stay there fighting for the title every year.

One fact is clear.......Liverpool have been more resilient than any of the other top teams. Chelsea didn't become a good team until recently. Arsenal were a good team but lagging behind Liverpool. Utd had a lot of barren years and were even relegated. Many other teams have tasted success but have plunged down into the lower divisions. It's a credit to the way Liverpool has been run that they are still capable of winning at the highest level.
#JFT97

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 3, 2009, 08:34:50 pm »
Good post that. No harm in a bit of positivity

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #28 on: February 3, 2009, 08:38:11 pm »
Good post but the time for bottle has been and gone. When we were top in November and everyone was getting carried away my mate said to me the same thing he says to me every year if we are in a strong position.
 That is, let's see where we are when the weather turns bad and a bit of character and a win at all costs attitude is needed.
 Well we have been found wanting again I'm afraid.We've allowed the mancs to steal a march on us at a time when we should have been going for the kill.
 No use just turning it on when the sun is shining.
 Not saying we can't still win it but we've made it a big ask for ourselves.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #29 on: February 3, 2009, 08:41:14 pm »
Fantastic read!  :wellin
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Rafa the new God

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
« Reply #30 on: February 3, 2009, 08:49:13 pm »
very good post. i completly agree with you but we have a problem with this. Out the 40000 or so fan that are in the ground on a match day the people that can make the difference how many of them read these boards. If we are gonna get this to work we need to spread the word. Also the kop need to get their arses in to gear with all 12000 fan singing together not in sections. i also feel the 306 block has made a different but i think that it should be moved to 305 as it will make a difference because 305 it in the middle of the kop so the noise travel around the ground alot better and should get the whole kop starting songs together not at different times. i watched the chelsea game again when i got home from the game on sunday and the singing sounded really bad at time it was just noise you couldn't work out the words. i no a lot of people are gonna disagree with me but this is just my option.

come on red men bring home number 19

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 3, 2009, 08:59:00 pm »
if the players are thinking about it too much it will become harder to win
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #32 on: February 3, 2009, 10:26:32 pm »
great post, it does put our efforts into perspective, and after reading it, i know we have to pick up our performances and make Anfield a fortress, really... get pissed before the game, watch some vid from Istanbul + clamber in to raise the roof... and you made a great point about being underdogs, we only perform well when we cannot possibly win!! :D

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #33 on: February 3, 2009, 10:27:50 pm »
very good post. i completly agree with you but we have a problem with this. Out the 40000 or so fan that are in the ground on a match day the people that can make the difference how many of them read these boards. If we are gonna get this to work we need to spread the word. Also the kop need to get their arses in to gear with all 12000 fan singing together not in sections. i also feel the 306 block has made a different but i think that it should be moved to 305 as it will make a difference because 305 it in the middle of the kop so the noise travel around the ground alot better and should get the whole kop starting songs together not at different times. i watched the chelsea game again when i got home from the game on sunday and the singing sounded really bad at time it was just noise you couldn't work out the words. i no a lot of people are gonna disagree with me but this is just my option.

come on red men bring home number 19
maybe RAOTL or SOS can help out a little and get the word out that we need to make ourselves heard and we need to blow our opposition apart when they are visiting. :D

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 3, 2009, 10:31:55 pm »
i watched the chelsea game again when i got home from the game on sunday and the singing sounded really bad at time it was just noise you couldn't work out the words. i no a lot of people are gonna disagree with me but this is just my option.

Confiscate their beak off them on the way in, then they might get the speed of the songs correct?  ;)

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 4, 2009, 12:11:51 am »
Yoy Rafa in disguise?  ;)

Only dont write off Crapski yet......
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline JimmyGrunt

• Transgender Asylum Seeker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 4, 2009, 08:19:18 am »
I don't understand all this 'Records don't matter' stuff.

So, does that mean that if you've won Trophy A........you dont need to win it again because you've already won it? Hell no, You have to progress and move on.

Records DO come into it.
PSN ID = JimmyGrunt

Yea mate just put your sky box on top of the fridge, put an egg in the microwave then wave your satalite dish around on the roof worked for me lad.

Offline Rafa Rafael

• Main Stander
« Reply #37 on: February 4, 2009, 09:21:28 am »
Funny word bottle - comes from the cockney slang "bottle and glass" obviously pronounced "bottle and glars" in the smoke. Rhymes with Arse. So, "his bottle and glars has gone"

Not a lot of people know that.

Bullshit

Offline bellyred

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #38 on: February 4, 2009, 09:39:56 am »
Fantastic post,

March 14th we fans should ascend upon Old Trafford like an Army going into battle to take over a fortress, Destroy them with noise so the walls of Old Trafford crumble to the sound of You'll Never Walk Alone and the Soldiers on the pitch put the mancs to the sword and we Walk On with all 3 points and hopefully our first Premiership Title. If we lose it's over IMO lets get behind the team in every game winning or losing we can win this title.

Offline Deman

• Main Stander
« Reply #39 on: February 4, 2009, 09:47:07 am »
Good post, nice to see the passion from the youngsters and your right.  I'm about Carras age and barely remember the last one properly.  We've got good fixtures running upto the OT game where we could gather a real momentum.

Wigan's away support was dire, near 6000 of us and we barely made a sound.  No wonder we played so shit, we could have made it like a home game but instead everyone moaned about the traffic on the 58, how cold it was and that keane wasn't playing.

Let's make ourselves heard at Anfield, Woodison, Fratton Park and the Riverside to give us a chance at OT.
“Real were pitiful last night. Raúl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand. ”