Author Topic: Florent Sinama-Pongolle  (Read 19693 times)

Offline Gedo

• Tube Blower.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Florent Sinama-Pongolle interview with LFC Magazine
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2008, 12:58:04 am »
of all the players that we have sold in rafa's time as manager

pongolle is the one i miss the most

can gedo or shankslegend offer any reasons or explanations as to why pongolle was sold

most reds fans rate sinama a lot
It's like all Football,certain Managers take to certain Players,obviously Rafa didn't fancy him...............by the same token,Rafa loves Kuyt,could have something to do with the fact that he signed Kuyt...........and didn't sign Pongolle !!!!!!!

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2008, 03:10:19 am »
Rafa's always been more concerned about the right type of player for our system than anything else, Pongolle didn't fit into our system and was moved on. I like him a great deal as a player, but there's not a great deal of room for debate when Rafa has his heart set. He didn't fit into our system then, and frankly I'm not sure which part of our system he would fit into now. We have an abundance of quality players who can play in the hole (if indeed, he can actually play there), and when Babel can't get a game on the right, I don't see where he would fit. Up front? Not quite convinced he has the ability to hold the ball up as Rafa requires his forwards to do, and again there's a long queue ahead of him. Frankly if we bought him for some reason now, people would be complaining that he's holding back the Nemeths, Pachecos and maybe N'gogs of the squad.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2008, 03:39:09 am »
I may have missed it ... bt did Rafa at anytime said that Pongolle is not his type of player, did not suit his system, etc, etc???
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2008, 12:12:50 pm »
Good lad.

Online Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2008, 01:06:30 pm »
I liked Pongolle. Maybe he suffered a little by being seen as part of a 'package' with Le Tallec. If he been signed on his own he might have been looked on more kindly.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
Re: Florent Sinama-Pongolle
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2015, 04:19:29 pm »
He's having a trial with Dundee United.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-champions-league-hero-10474818

Good luck, FloPo!

Liverpool FC Champions League hero Florent Sinama-Pongolle hoping to kick-start career in Scotland

Since being part of Liverpool’s triumphant 2005 Champions League winning squad, Florent Sinama Pongolle has lived a largely nomadic existence.

There have been spells in Spain, Portugal, France, Russia, America and Switzerland with the striker not coming close to living up to the hype which accompanied his arrival at Anfield from Le Havre in 2003.

Now the 31-year-old striker, who scored nine goals in 66 appearances for the Reds, is desperately trying to kick-start his career with Scottish Premiership strugglers Dundee United.

Pongolle is on trial with the Tangerines and wants to prove to boss Mixu Paatelainen that he merits a permanent contract.

“I am confident that with my experience I can bring something to this team,” he told The Courier.

“I think I can help the club. This team is better than the league position, there is a new manager here who wants to bring his own mentality.

“He wants to play football that he believes in. Dundee United has good players with great ability, everyone is fit and working hard – I can see that.

“From working hard every day and getting a set idea of how the manager wants to play, I’m sure Dundee United won’t be in this place long.

“At the moment, I am here for a week and after that I think we will discuss the future. I hope we can find an agreement for both sides because I want to help the team go forward.”

“Dundee United is a club with a big history and a big name in Scottish football so it should be in the top division.”

Pongolle joined Recreativo de Huelva after leaving Liverpool and a promising run of form earned him a move to Atletico Madrid.

However, since 2010 his career has been in free-fall with injuries hampering his progress. He has had spells with Sporting Lisbon, Real Zaragoza, Saint-Étienne, FC Rostov, Chicago Fire and Lausanne Sports.

“The last two years have been hard because of injuries but I am okay now,” he added,

“I’m ready and I want to show it. I had surgery on my knee in March when I was in Switzerland with Lausanne so that kept me out until the summer.

“In July I wasn’t fit and couldn’t go anywhere for a pre-season with any teams. So I had to get myself 100% so that I was able to train properly and that meant doing a lot of work on my own.

“After I did that I went to Le Havre because that is where I started, they received me and I was able to train with the squad.

“It was just about getting fit so that I could come to another club when this came along. Dundee United asked to see me so I came over here this week and hopefully I can get a contract here.

“I will be suited to the style, I enjoy the British way of playing and I want to find my football again.”
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 04:21:17 pm by zabadoh »
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2015, 04:41:30 pm »
FSP passed his trial and has signed for Dundee United

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/34942311?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_match_of_the_day&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

Florent Sinama Pongolle signs for Dundee United after trial

Former Liverpool and Atletico Madrid forward Florent Sinama Pongolle has agreed a contract until the end of the season with Dundee United.

The deal with the 31-year-old and his availability to face Hamilton is subject to international clearance.

Sinama Pongolle had been on trial at Tannadice after exiting Lausanne-Sport.

United head coach Mixu Paatelainen said: "He will bring experience, tactical awareness and quality to our squad."

The Frenchman joined Swiss second-tier side Lausanne in January after leaving Chicago Fire, but a cruciate ligament injury preventing him playing.

"He understands football, shows excellent passing and positional sense," Paatelainen told his club website. "I am looking forward to working with him."

Sinama Pongolle, capped once for his country, becomes the second Frenchman to sign for United this week.
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2017, 07:23:27 pm »
Make you feel old hey Rob :'(
You know it r kid!

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2017, 10:55:51 pm »
Thai League 2 though.  How much can they be paying him?

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2022, 02:11:06 pm »
I genuinely felt so bad reading this. He wants the club to organise a way to get him, Mellor and Le tallec on a future parade bus.

I feel we owe it to him. Let’s get all our fan power together and do this.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-striker-left-watching-champions-23932856

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2022, 03:43:23 pm »
I genuinely felt so bad reading this. He wants the club to organise a way to get him, Mellor and Le tallec on a future parade bus.

I feel we owe it to him. Let’s get all our fan power together and do this.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-striker-left-watching-champions-23932856

I remember Neil Mellor saying this a while ago. Reckon it should happen, you know.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2022, 04:10:38 pm »
If we win the CL we should definitely be making that happen. Poor fella, that must have been tough
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2022, 04:41:34 pm »
Shit for him, but honestly seems pointless having him on any bus in the future. People won't be there cheering for him, he isn't part of this squad, he doesn't know them and would be in the way if he started interacting with them celebrating.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2022, 06:29:07 pm »
Shit for him, but honestly seems pointless having him on any bus in the future. People won't be there cheering for him, he isn't part of this squad, he doesn't know them and would be in the way if he started interacting with them celebrating.

You grumbly bastard... :D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

• Kopite
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2022, 06:32:16 pm »

I actually thought this when I read the article. Maybe we can dig out the 5th European cup, and give Mellor, Pongolle and Le Tallec their own corner of the bus to wave around. Would look weird, but I’d do it for them.

I remember Mane hardly being on the bus last time, think he stayed at the bottom most of the time, so there’s definitely room.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 06:34:23 pm by Lynx the saucy mynx »

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2022, 06:37:31 pm »
Sorry for being ignorant but what happened that they should be part of the parade?

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2022, 06:43:29 pm »
One of the first times I used google translate was to translate a French article about him and his cousin.

It’s come on quite a bit since then
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2022, 06:46:08 pm »
Just typical of the organisation at the club in those days.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

• Kopite
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2022, 07:10:19 pm »
Sorry for being ignorant but what happened that they should be part of the parade?

They were told they couldn’t board the plane back home with the rest of the players, as their seats were reserved for family members of other players. Because of that, their plane was delayed the next day until after the parade.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2022, 08:19:55 pm »
They were told they couldn’t board the plane back home with the rest of the players, as their seats were reserved for family members of other players. Because of that, their plane was delayed the next day until after the parade.

Jesus Christ what a shitty thing to do!!

• Kopite
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2022, 09:30:34 pm »
Jesus Christ what a shitty thing to do!!

It really is, and usually people wouldn’t make a request like he’s made out of pride or respect for the current team. Which obviously shows it still hurts.

He said in the interview that if this could get back to the club to make it happen, so I do wonder if it does get back to them. Whether they do it or not is one thing (depending if our next parade is this year or several years from now) but be interesting to see if they even notice the request he made in the Echo.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2022, 10:54:21 pm »
It really is, and usually people wouldn’t make a request like he’s made out of pride or respect for the current team. Which obviously shows it still hurts.

He said in the interview that if this could get back to the club to make it happen, so I do wonder if it does get back to them. Whether they do it or not is one thing (depending if our next parade is this year or several years from now) but be interesting to see if they even notice the request he made in the Echo.

Even if they got 10mins they'd get enough of a taste to remember but it's up to the club I guess 🤷

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2022, 10:57:17 pm »
It was really poor form from Liverpool re the flights. But the time has passed.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2022, 12:48:44 am »
Never heard that story and it shows what a mess the club was behind the scenes at that time. It's just an awful thing to do to those players. And as the article rightly points out, it's not like they were a bunch of kids who got five minutes between them in the whole road to the final, they (at least Sinama-Pongolle and Mellor) were pretty vital to get out of the group in the first place. And I can't see the club not doing anything now for them. Having them on the bus would be a bit weird, but certainly for them it would be a great experience, even if it comes 15+ years too late. At the same time, I don't think it would take anything away from the current team and the current celebrations, if they were just up there on the bus. If you don't want to put them with the current players, get them a little special spot on the second bus with the press people or whoever was on there and have them do the parade that way. Then get them at one of our next home games and maybe let Anfield give them a clap and cheer at halftime. Done.

• Kopite
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2022, 08:29:18 am »
Never heard that story and it shows what a mess the club was behind the scenes at that time. It's just an awful thing to do to those players. And as the article rightly points out, it's not like they were a bunch of kids who got five minutes between them in the whole road to the final, they (at least Sinama-Pongolle and Mellor) were pretty vital to get out of the group in the first place. And I can't see the club not doing anything now for them. Having them on the bus would be a bit weird, but certainly for them it would be a great experience, even if it comes 15+ years too late. At the same time, I don't think it would take anything away from the current team and the current celebrations, if they were just up there on the bus. If you don't want to put them with the current players, get them a little special spot on the second bus with the press people or whoever was on there and have them do the parade that way. Then get them at one of our next home games and maybe let Anfield give them a clap and cheer at halftime. Done.

I just don’t know if the club even knows of his request. I’ve googled this article and Twitter searched it and hardly a mention at all. Heck no one else even knew before I posted it. I just don’t think it’s publicised enough for the club to even notice.

It’s why I was hoping us as fans can do something to make it more publicised. Istanbul was the greatest night of a lot of peoples (certainly mine) life. And that doesn’t happen without those lads, so even having them on the second bus would be great. But like I said, I just don’t think the club even knew about it.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2022, 10:01:51 am »
I just don’t know if the club even knows of his request. I’ve googled this article and Twitter searched it and hardly a mention at all. Heck no one else even knew before I posted it. I just don’t think it’s publicised enough for the club to even notice.

It’s why I was hoping us as fans can do something to make it more publicised. Istanbul was the greatest night of a lot of peoples (certainly mine) life. And that doesn’t happen without those lads, so even having them on the second bus would be great. But like I said, I just don’t think the club even knew about it.

I am 100 percent sure the club know about it. They have a media department and part of their task is certainly to observe what is being said/written about LFC in various forms of media. If there's a story in the Liverpool Echo, the club will know about it. It might be a case of not the right people knowing about it (in terms of making it happen), but the communications people in the club will have heard it. I work as a local journo for a small paper (not in the UK) and from what I know about PR work this looks like the perfect opportunity to get a positive story (both in the media, but also for all the club channels like on the website, instagram, youtube and whatever) with very little effort. At least it should be very little effort for a big organisation like our club. Having said that, it would clearly help, if supporters upped the pressure on the people in charge to make something happen, so yeah, the story should be heavily pushed by everyone...

• Kopite
« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2022, 10:26:44 am »
I am 100 percent sure the club know about it. They have a media department and part of their task is certainly to observe what is being said/written about LFC in various forms of media. If there's a story in the Liverpool Echo, the club will know about it. It might be a case of not the right people knowing about it (in terms of making it happen), but the communications people in the club will have heard it. I work as a local journo for a small paper (not in the UK) and from what I know about PR work this looks like the perfect opportunity to get a positive story (both in the media, but also for all the club channels like on the website, instagram, youtube and whatever) with very little effort. At least it should be very little effort for a big organisation like our club. Having said that, it would clearly help, if supporters upped the pressure on the people in charge to make something happen, so yeah, the story should be heavily pushed by everyone...

I think what they would do for a positive PR story, would be a blog of the day on the club channels. So it would start off with pics of the 2005 parade and interview them one by one about how they felt. Then they would follow them around documenting the day, ending with how they feel now.

The club will see it as an extra form of content, while making a few feel good headlines at the same time. I know it sounds opportunistic on the clubs part, but I’m sure Pongolle and co won’t care.

But the fans definitely need to push it, because unless there’s already been contact internally it seems like there is zero momentum for the gesture right now.

I had to chuckle at someone’s post in the parade thread on the main forum, about giving them 3 a minibus right behind.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 10:28:36 am by Lynx the saucy mynx »

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2022, 12:48:10 pm »
I think what they would do for a positive PR story, would be a blog of the day on the club channels. So it would start off with pics of the 2005 parade and interview them one by one about how they felt. Then they would follow them around documenting the day, ending with how they feel now.

The club will see it as an extra form of content, while making a few feel good headlines at the same time. I know it sounds opportunistic on the clubs part, but I’m sure Pongolle and co won’t care.

But the fans definitely need to push it, because unless there’s already been contact internally it seems like there is zero momentum for the gesture right now.

I had to chuckle at someone’s post in the parade thread on the main forum, about giving them 3 a minibus right behind.  ;D

Or maybe, like, skateboards... so they earn it... :D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2022, 07:41:53 am »
It’s not nice what happened, it’s a bit horrible in fact, but allowing them to join the celebrations of a squad from nearly two decades later with the club owned, managed and organised by a completely different organisation would be bizarre.

I think the club should find some way to make amends, but including them on a celebratory parade with players a couple of generations removed from the teams they played in isn’t the way.

You wouldn’t want to alter the vibe or feeling in any way for the current players who’ve achieved so much.

What is slightly eyebrow raising is that James Milner is closer in age to all of those retired players from the 2005 squad than he is any other player in the active squad at present (exception of Adrian).
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Dudek savessssss.........!

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop Forum
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2022, 08:06:49 pm »
Noticed that both Florent Sinama-Pongolle & Anthony Le Tallec are scheduled to play in the Legends game at Old Trafford tomorrow.
There was a two-minute interlude where Liverpool’s three-man attack squared up against United’s three-man defence and basically stalked them back into their own penalty area, like battle-hardened mountain wolves closing in on a flock of geriatric sheep.  Barney Ronay at Anfield @barneyronay Sun 19 Jan 2020 20.36 GMT