Author Topic: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain  (Read 757010 times)

Offline s_andrews89

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Welcome to Liverpool Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
« Reply #4200 on: June 15, 2021, 12:05:20 pm »
Was watching a few of his old goals, you've gotta feel for him. He's been let down by his body. If he stays with us, I hope he can get back to his best.

Yup. *If* he can get fit - and more importantly stay fit - he'll be a massive addition to the squad. Would love to see him get the minutes his talent deserves.

Sadly, looking at the last few years you have to assume it just won't be the case. Real shame as he has shown signs of being a top class midfielder for us. Would be handy to have again with Gini gone!

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #4201 on: June 15, 2021, 01:40:52 pm »
Yup. *If* he can get fit - and more importantly stay fit - he'll be a massive addition to the squad. Would love to see him get the minutes his talent deserves.

Sadly, looking at the last few years you have to assume it just won't be the case. Real shame as he has shown signs of being a top class midfielder for us. Would be handy to have again with Gini gone!

If both him and Keita could stay fit, we wouldn't even need a Gini replacement right now. Shame how both of them are let down so much by their body and can't be relied upon.

Online PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4202 on: July 17, 2021, 11:21:54 pm »
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has impressed Liverpool coaches in training when operating further up the pitch, and will be considered for the number 10 and wide forward roles next season. [liverpool echo]

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4203 on: July 18, 2021, 12:18:55 am »
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has impressed Liverpool coaches in training when operating further up the pitch, and will be considered for the number 10 and wide forward roles next season. [liverpool echo]

The wide forward roles is not a surprise, we've done that with him in the past, but I don't think he excels there at all. I think he's best centrally, and I could see the ''10'' role working for him.

Just hope he can stay clear of injuries, he had a rough start last year, being out for 3 or 4 months to start the season.

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #4204 on: July 18, 2021, 12:20:04 am »

Pep Lijnders commented on him in the most recent diary entry:

"I also have to highlight that Ox has scored some absolute worldies in training in these last few days – and you absolutely love to see it".

Online Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4205 on: July 18, 2021, 09:57:11 am »
Even the official LFC Twitter account has alluded to him playing the Bobby Firmino role this season. I'd look forward to seeing how he does there if so, I think he may have played there once or twice last season off the bench, and looked fairly promising.

Was he playing in that position when he scored that corker against Burnley?

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #4206 on: July 18, 2021, 10:34:52 am »
How can you all see a false nine or 10 role working for him? The weakest part of his game is with his back to goal…
You could convert him to being an out and out forward for sure but he’d be terrible as a ‘link man that drops off’… he’s more suited to being Trents under study than Firminos (playing the same role as Bobby i mean)

Online PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4207 on: July 18, 2021, 04:16:08 pm »
How can you all see a false nine or 10 role working for him? The weakest part of his game is with his back to goal…
You could convert him to being an out and out forward for sure but he’d be terrible as a ‘link man that drops off’… he’s more suited to being Trents under study than Firminos (playing the same role as Bobby i mean)

To be honest, a 4-3-3 with a false No.9 and a 4-4-2 diamond with a No.10 are a bit different ...

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #4208 on: July 18, 2021, 04:34:22 pm »
Personally we him in a 4312 as the 1

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4209 on: July 18, 2021, 04:55:47 pm »
Personally cannot see past the goal AoC scored in the champions league against City, to me that was one of the defining moments of Jurgens reign so far, complete and utter pandemonium AND belief that it could and would be done. For that reason I’d always thought the big transfer fee and struggles with injury were justified in a way, that he’d been a good signing regardless.  Reading Pep Ljinders talking about him come to realize I’d written off AoC a bit, even despite his lovely goal at the end of this season. Hope he can stay on the pitch this year as he’s always seemed a lovely fella
You'll Never Walk Alone

Online PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4210 on: July 18, 2021, 06:58:59 pm »
Personally we him in a 4312 as the 1

Well, that is pretty much the No.10 in a 4-4-2 diamond, so we are thinking about the same idea ...

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4211 on: July 18, 2021, 07:02:27 pm »
I think he'd be pretty quality as a false 9. He has that Wenger DNA which is perfect for a Bobby (or replacement) understudy. I think Jota is much better when he does those horizontal runs from wide areas.

He's always had a good understanding with Mo too.
YNWA.

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #4212 on: July 18, 2021, 07:03:54 pm »
Dunno. I'm in the "blind mice" camp, I just don't see AOC's contribution much beyond last year's level. Moreover, that was a season when we had ton's of injuries and he couldn't get a sniff... Pity that he was a great player before his injury against Roma...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #4213 on: July 18, 2021, 10:15:29 pm »
I think he'd be pretty quality as a false 9. He has that Wenger DNA which is perfect for a Bobby (or replacement) understudy. I think Jota is much better when he does those horizontal runs from wide areas.

He has neither the first touch, aerial ability or quality with his back to goal to play much of a part in the Firmino role. He excels with space to move into, he’s better deeper as an 8.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4214 on: July 18, 2021, 10:19:09 pm »
Think it’s all part of the transfer game. Don’t need anyone because we have all these options. Very unlikely that Oxlade-Chamberlain will ever play in the Firmino role.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4215 on: July 19, 2021, 03:37:58 am »

I don't think he has quite the right skill set to be able to deputise for Firmino as such. He was an explosive player - plenty of pace, power and dribbling ability with the ability to find a good pass or finish chances either in the box or from distance. Unfortunately, injuries have robbed him of a lot of those qualities along with probably confidence that comes from playing consistently. If he was to play in the front 3 at all, I'd say he'd fill in on the right which is where he seemed to be played when at Arsenal.

It hasn't helped that we also have 4 world class players up front and our midfield needs perhaps players who have a better tactical understanding than he does. That being said, I think he and Naby are very much the contenders for that third midfield spot alongside Hendo and Fabinho. At the moment, I'd say Thiago is the incumbent, and Curtis is the young prospect, but if Ox and Naby can stay in shape and take their chances, then it gives the manager plenty to think about.

Online PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4216 on: July 20, 2021, 07:30:12 pm »
Klopp on Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain playing as a false 9:

"You could see in the first few minutes, that’s an option [him playing as a No.9], definitely. We will see how that goes on."

Offline BigCDump

• Kopite
  • Let's Klopp Til' We Drop
« Reply #4217 on: July 20, 2021, 09:07:01 pm »
He looks much better suited to the number 9 role than Salah's or Mane's from the wing. His first touch is as good (or sometimes as bad) as Firmino's. But he has that raster blaster shot that will scare the feck out of defensive formations.

I'm all for it. Where we lose Firmino's deft flicks we gain in speed of the front three as a unit.
Nineteen Six. Believe it now, baby!

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #4218 on: July 20, 2021, 09:33:08 pm »
I think it's more likely that he's sold than he gets real minutes as a 9.  Reminds me of all those Lallana pieces about him being our new 6 when really we just wanted to move him on.

Offline BigCDump

• Kopite
  • Let's Klopp Til' We Drop
« Reply #4219 on: July 20, 2021, 09:36:56 pm »
I think it's more likely that he's sold than he gets real minutes as a 9.  Reminds me of all those Lallana pieces about him being our new 6 when really we just wanted to move him on.

That's a good point actually. Could be we're fed up with his injuries like Adam's. And the best way to get £30m+ is to sell him as a remodeled brand. As much as I would like to keep him you know he's going to break down within half a season or sooner.
Nineteen Six. Believe it now, baby!

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4220 on: July 20, 2021, 09:42:12 pm »
Despite his injury issues he's a versatile player who can play in several positions and is home grown, he only leaves if he asks to leave I reckon.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4221 on: July 20, 2021, 10:31:18 pm »
That's a good point actually. Could be we're fed up with his injuries like Adam's. And the best way to get £30m+ is to sell him as a remodeled brand. As much as I would like to keep him you know he's going to break down within half a season or sooner.
Klopp hasnt thought lets remodel Ox as a #9 in pre season to get him sold ;D

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #4222 on: July 20, 2021, 10:35:04 pm »
I read in the recent article about him on the official site that he's not been injured since November. That's a pretty good run for him and a full pre-season will do him the world of good. Having that base of fitness will make him less likely to break down when he does get minutes in the new season.

I don't expect him to start much but he'll be a good backup option in a few positions. Anything more is a bonus.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4223 on: July 20, 2021, 10:44:18 pm »
It’d be really odd to sell him given his versatility and his goalscoring ability unless we was actively looking to move or we received a brilliant offer.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #4224 on: July 21, 2021, 01:46:16 am »
Was it a good point? Because it really didn't seem like a good point
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4225 on: July 21, 2021, 03:38:49 am »
You've lot have lost the plot if you think we're experimenting with his position, so we could sell him.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #4226 on: July 21, 2021, 01:03:08 pm »
You've lot have lost the plot if you think we're experimenting with his position, so we could sell him.

That's a good point, actually...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #4227 on: July 21, 2021, 01:19:06 pm »
We won't sell the Ox, not this season anyway.

A part of pre season is definitely to experiment with new roles for certain players to see how they manage it. If the coaches are saying he is excelling there during training sessions then that's great. That is to boost his confidence, not to put him in the shop window as a number 9.
YNWA - JFT97

Offline dai_bonehead

• Kopite
« Reply #4228 on: July 21, 2021, 01:19:08 pm »

£30 Million? In this market? With his injury record? and his wages?

Nope.

Personally, I'm hoping he and Keita come good. I know I'll probably be disapointed but the reason will be due to not seeing their physicality match their talent; I'll be disappointed for them and not at them.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #4229 on: July 21, 2021, 01:46:35 pm »

I think if he wasn't homegrown/decreased value due to horrible injuries he'd be in the Origi/Shaq boat.

As it is unless offers came in he'll stick around for another season and then he'd have a year left on his deal. It might be like Lallana in that he sees out his contract and then moves on after that. He needs to stay fit this season if he has a longer term future here.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #4230 on: July 21, 2021, 05:16:23 pm »
Was it a good point? Because it really didn't seem like a good point

I mean if you want to write "this time he really will stay healthy" then sure, nobody will believe it, but sure.  Much easier to write and state that he's got this new role that makes him have value even though if he's actually playing there and contributing then something went awfully wrong elsewhere in the squad.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #4231 on: July 21, 2021, 05:31:22 pm »
I think if he wasn't homegrown/decreased value due to horrible injuries he'd be in the Origi/Shaq boat.

As it is unless offers came in he'll stick around for another season and then he'd have a year left on his deal. It might be like Lallana in that he sees out his contract and then moves on after that. He needs to stay fit this season if he has a longer term future here.

Where does he go from here? It’s unlikely he would leave for a lower club until his contracted has expired.

His form improves at the end of the season for the past 2 seasons but he failed to carry it over. Here’s to the ever hoping next season could be different.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #4232 on: July 21, 2021, 05:57:35 pm »
Where does he go from here? It’s unlikely he would leave for a lower club until his contracted has expired.

His form improves at the end of the season for the past 2 seasons but he failed to carry it over. Here’s to the ever hoping next season could be different.

Does well he could get another contract and stick around. If not then it's probably another Lallana and he heads back to the south coast or London when his contract is up, maybe back to Southampton.

If we were going to sell him it'd be realistically now with 2 years left.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4233 on: July 21, 2021, 09:03:36 pm »
We won’t sell him IMO. Actually think he’ll have a big season for us,

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4234 on: July 21, 2021, 10:51:43 pm »
We won’t sell him IMO. Actually think he’ll have a big season for us,

If he does stick around, we could do with some goals from midfield. Mad to think he hasn't scored more than 4 league goals in a Premier League season. Had to double check that!
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #4235 on: July 21, 2021, 11:27:37 pm »
Looks damn lively in pre season, healthy and fit, not prepared to give up on him at this point.

https://youtu.be/b-82TK6kmwQ
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #4236 on: July 21, 2021, 11:46:22 pm »
I mean if you want to write "this time he really will stay healthy" then sure, nobody will believe it, but sure.  Much easier to write and state that he's got this new role that makes him have value even though if he's actually playing there and contributing then something went awfully wrong elsewhere in the squad.
The question is did you mean to write:

Because if so then I think my good point was also valid.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #4237 on: July 22, 2021, 08:06:42 pm »
The question is did you mean to write:

Because if so then I think my good point was also valid.

You don't agree there are any parallels.  Got it.

Offline mercurial

• Legacy Fan
  • Lost my mind, let me know if you spot it
« Reply #4238 on: July 23, 2021, 09:03:01 pm »
You don't agree there are any parallels.  Got it.

Parallels disappeared after Einstein wrote that book.
Kenny: "We play the way we want to play. We play to the style that suits us, no disrespect to other clubs but we don't focus on anybody else"

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What doesn't kill you, makes you...stranger!!!
« Reply #4239 on: August 9, 2021, 11:30:24 pm »
Outstanding performance from Chamberlain tonight. Hopefully he can stay fit for the new season.