Author Topic: Lucas’ critical role for Liverpool  (Read 551956 times)

Offline mulhergremista

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Lucas’ critical role for Liverpool
« on: July 21, 2011, 09:36:57 am »
I found an article with the a-m title in a site called OUR COP

Here is the link

http://www.ourkop.com/2011/07/20/lucas-critical-role-for-liverpool/

After reading it I beleived it woth a discussion in this forum

Here is what was written there

Quote:

9Share

Liverpool have an unbelievable wealth of midfielders. Alongside club captain Steven Gerrard are the European internationals Dirk Kuyt, Christian Poulsen, Raul Merieles and Alberto Aqualani, who has looked supremely casual in pre-season. Throughout last season, Jay Spearing and Jonjo Shelvey impressed immensely, as did Maxi Rodriguez in the last few games. Joe Cole and Milan Jovanovic have struggled to make an impact, but are still on the books as things stand. Even so, Dalglish has spent almost £50m acquiring Charlie Adam, Jordan Henderson and, most recently, Stewart Downing. This is without mentioning promising youngsters Raheem Sterling, Daniel Pacheco and Suso.

The most important midfielder, however – aside from Steven Gerrard – is the much maligned Brazilian, Lucas Leiva. He may not play pretty football, but he is incredibly effective. His battling performances in 2010/2011 won many fans over and he walked away with the supporter’s player of the season award.

Dalglish evidently rates Lucas highly, as he played more games than any other Liverpool player last season, with the exception of Pepe Reina and Martin Skrtel. His abilities are proved by the fact that he won more tackles than any other Premier League player last season, winning no fewer than 111 duels.

So far, Liverpool have certainly been entertainers in pre-season, beating Guangdong 4-3 and a Malaysia XI 6-3. Although it would be foolish to read too much into these friendlies, the absence of Lucas has been quite evident. His positional sense has improved dramatically in recent years, and his discipline has allowed the likes of Gerrard and Merieles to support the attack, whilst maintaining solidarity at the back.

Some see Adam playing in a Xabi Alonso role next season; shielding the defence at the same time as playing as a quarterback. However, Blackpool fans will be the first to testify that, for all his wonderful abilities on the ball, Adam loses possession on a regular basis and his lack of pace is exposed when he plays in such a role.

Many fans are also excited at seeing a Gerrard-Adam-Henderson triumvirate at the heart of the team, but Henderson doesn’t yet possess the experience and discipline to sit back and allow those around to get forward.

Regardless of whether Dalglish chooses to play with two or three central midfielders in the coming months, Lucas’ inclusion in the team is vital.

Unquote

You may enter the page (link above) and read the comments or, of course, give your opinion , for that was the reason to start this thread

As for Lucas, he will be in Liverpool next week

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
Re: Lucas’ critical role for Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:01:44 am »
That article looks like it was written by some junior, trainee journalist whilst sitting on the bog. It was by no means informative, insightful or interesting. In fact it was shite.
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline red_moon

• Main Stander
  • The red side of the moon
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 10:05:06 am »

Here is the link

Quote:

9Share

Liverpool have an unbelievable wealth of midfielders. Alongside club captain Steven Gerrard are the European internationals Dirk Kuyt, Christian Poulsen, Raul Meireles and Alberto Aquilani, who has looked supremely casual in pre-season. Throughout last season, Jay Spearing and Jonjo Shelvey impressed immensely, as did Maxi Rodriguez in the last few games. Joe Cole and Milan Jovanovic have struggled to make an impact, but are still on the books as things stand. Even so, Dalglish has spent almost £50m acquiring Charlie Adam, Jordan Henderson and, most recently, Stewart Downing. This is without mentioning promising youngsters Raheem Sterling, Daniel Pacheco and Suso.

The most important midfielder, however – aside from Steven Gerrard – is the much maligned Brazilian, Lucas Leiva. He may not play pretty football, but he is incredibly effective. His battling performances in 2010/2011 won many fans over and he walked away with the supporter’s player of the season award.

Dalglish evidently rates Lucas highly, as he played more games than any other Liverpool player last season, with the exception of Pepe Reina and Martin Skrtel. His abilities are proved by the fact that he won more tackles than any other Premier League player last season, winning no fewer than 111 duels.

So far, Liverpool have certainly been entertainers in pre-season, beating Guangdong 4-3 and a Malaysia XI 6-3. Although it would be foolish to read too much into these friendlies, the absence of Lucas has been quite evident. His positional sense has improved dramatically in recent years, and his discipline has allowed the likes of Gerrard and Meireles to support the attack, whilst maintaining solidarity at the back.

Some see Adam playing in a Xabi Alonso role next season; shielding the defence at the same time as playing as a quarterback. However, Blackpool fans will be the first to testify that, for all his wonderful abilities on the ball, Adam loses possession on a regular basis and his lack of pace is exposed when he plays in such a role.

Many fans are also excited at seeing a Gerrard-Adam-Henderson triumvirate at the heart of the team, but Henderson doesn’t yet possess the experience and discipline to sit back and allow those around to get forward.

Regardless of whether Dalglish chooses to play with two or three central midfielders in the coming months, Lucas’ inclusion in the team is vital.

Unquote

You may enter the page (link above) and read the comments or, of course, give your opinion , for that was the reason to start this thread

didnt expect to see that in the same sentence

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 10:10:30 am »
Yeah, it's not particularly great but it does raise some important points. I think Lucas, at present, is a more important midfielder than Gerrard for us. Also, I don't think his positional sense has improved to the extent mentioned in the article, he's always been pretty good in that respect, more that he's learnt when to go for the ball and when not to and how to tackle.

I think a lot of the articles is a bit unfair, the 2 friendly results can't be taken very seriously and it's too early to mention the likes of Sterling and Suso, at least for this season. Also, I think the criticsm of Adam may be brought up by some posters.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline King Kenny07

• Main Stander
  • JFT96
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 10:17:40 am »
Just sort of repeating things that everyone has already said
Bill Shankly speaking To Alan Ball after he'd signed for Everton - 'Never mind Alan, at least you'll be able to play next to a great team.'

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 10:35:59 am »
For me, i think that Adam has better pace than people give him credit for.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline red_moon

• Main Stander
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 10:38:28 am »
For me, i think that Adam has better pace than people give him credit for.

agree is he is pretty fast for a fat guy, one hell of a left foot he got

Online carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 10:45:54 am »
Everyone knows Lucas occupies some mystical position on the pitch that no other player could possibly fill :P.

Offline fizzyp

• Kopite
  • those were the days my friend.
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 10:50:24 am »

Here is the link

Quote:

9Share

Liverpool have an unbelievable wealth of midfielders. Alongside club captain Steven Gerrard are the European internationals Dirk Kuyt, Christian Poulsen, Raul Meireles and Alberto Aquilani, who has looked supremely casual in pre-season. Throughout last season, Jay Spearing and Jonjo Shelvey impressed immensely, as did Maxi Rodriguez in the last few games. Joe Cole and Milan Jovanovic have struggled to make an impact, but are still on the books as things stand. Even so, Dalglish has spent almost £50m acquiring Charlie Adam, Jordan Henderson and, most recently, Stewart Downing. This is without mentioning promising youngsters Raheem Sterling, Daniel Pacheco and Suso.

So far, Liverpool have certainly been entertainers in pre-season, beating Guangdong 4-3 and a Malaysia XI 6-3. Although it would be foolish to read too much into these friendlies, the absence of Lucas has been quite evident. His positional sense has improved dramatically in recent years, and his discipline has allowed the likes of Gerrard and Meireles to support the attack, whilst maintaining solidarity at the back.

Unquote

1 word. pony
The Boss is fucking boss!

Offline fizzyp

• Kopite
  • those were the days my friend.
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 10:51:25 am »

at least the same as alonso i would think.
The Boss is fucking boss!

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 11:05:21 am »
Everyone knows Lucas occupies some mystical position on the pitch that no other player could possibly fill :P.

Makes a change from what people were saying at the start of his career here.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 11:05:22 am »
I know pre-Kenny he used to drop so deep he'd be watching our counter-attacks pass him by from his seat in the Anny Road, but seriously since when is Dirk Kuyt a midfielder? ???
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 11:13:43 am »

Well, according to Dalglish, the next in line for his role is Poulsen. Draw your own conclusions.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 11:14:30 am »
@gremista

What did the press write on the exit of Brasil, especially on Lucas?
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline R.A.La

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 11:14:52 am »
Love the lad to bits (always have done) he will only get better too.

those people were scared off by the distress chatter and the organised internet terrorism campaign that was directed against people involved.

Offline red_moon

• Main Stander
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 11:17:43 am »
I know pre-Kenny he used to drop so deep he'd be watching our counter-attacks pass him by from his seat in the Anny Road, but seriously since when is Dirk Kuyt a midfielder? ???

His goal scoring form last season say otherwise. He is a striker, who like to drift to the right and come deep to get the ball, and pass... but some time he often stay there, and not go back up as quick.... so yea he is a midfielder  :wave

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 11:26:20 am »
His goal scoring form last season say otherwise. He is a striker, who like to drift to the right and come deep to get the ball, and pass... but some time he often stay there, and not go back up as quick.... so yea he is a midfielder  :wave
Your contradictory post makes no sense.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline WheelerLFC

• Anny Roader
  • Brendan Rodgers Liverpool are on our way to glory!
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 11:27:22 am »
Mr Versitile our Dirk is  ;)

As for the post itself, my 12 yr old cousin could have given more info in that atrical then they did.  :butt
'Take that poof bandage off, and what do you mean YOUR knee, it's LIVERPOOL'S knee!' - Bill Shankly

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 11:28:32 am »
@gremista

What did the press write on the exit of Brasil, especially on Lucas?
Would be interested in this also. Less so the exit (it was pens) but their performances throughout. The verdict on Ganso and Neymar as well. Too much too soon? An important learning curve? I guess they see them peaking (conveniently) around 2014 in the Maracana.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 11:30:02 am »
Mr Versitile our Dirk is  ;)

As for the post itself, my 12 yr old cousin could have given more info in that atrical then they did.  :butt
He's listed first of "a wealth of midfielders" amongst Gerrard, Poulsen, Aquilani and Meireles. All recognised midfielders. A minor point but it's bollocks to categorise him thus.

Offline red_moon

• Main Stander
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 11:33:30 am »
Your contradictory post makes no sense.

Slightly out of it today mate, apoligize  :)

back to the serious stuff...
Personally i think Dirk is best employ as a midfield player. He doesnt really have to pace to take on defender. But i rate his positioning, so he is always at the right place at the right time, with him playing as a midfielder he always a 'freeman' for someone to lay the ball to. And lets not foget his contribution in defence, this is good but often left him out of position when launching a counter attack.

but i guess if he is employ as midfiend he wouldnt be scoring that many goals.... shame he is on such a hot streak under kenny

Offline BobbyDavro

• can't skate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 11:39:00 am »
that site's full of mongs pretending they're journalists....learned to avoid it from newsnow long ago.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 12:12:41 pm »
Would be interested in this also. Less so the exit (it was pens) but their performances throughout. The verdict on Ganso and Neymar as well. Too much too soon? An important learning curve? I guess they see them peaking (conveniently) around 2014 in the Maracana.

I saw the game and it was a great performance actually, especially of Robinho. The had about 14 clear chances and couldn´t take them. Unbelievable that they went out.

One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 12:26:02 pm »
every player who dons a red shirt has a critical role to play and the same goes for each opposition player....i hope this isnt designed to put pressure on him and thus agenda driven...bigger pressure on the oppos midfield who will be crossing swords with the lad me thinks,because the lad is that good
success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline rappcats

• Kopite
  • *random formation graph*
    • datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 12:33:46 pm »

Fabio quite fits here, doesn't he?

Offline chrisdoc

• Kemlynite
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 12:34:30 pm »

lol

royhendo

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 12:39:24 pm »
That article looks like it was written by some junior, trainee journalist whilst sitting on the bog. It was by no means informative, insightful or interesting. In fact it was shite.

;D

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 01:10:19 pm »

Superb writing. I wanted to criticise the article in so many ways, but you did it so well for me.

I think people , ie the fans first , then the media. Will start to slowly see his worth in the way they did with Scholes.  Except that Lucas won't be so good for the yellow card and ref's notebooks industry.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 01:18:30 pm »

Well, this...
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Online carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 01:41:23 pm »
Well, according to Dalglish, the next in line for his role is Poulsen. Draw your own conclusions.

I dare say that wouldn't be the case should Lucas get injured!

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 01:51:14 pm »

Brilliant. Must have missed that one.
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2011, 02:06:59 pm »
Despite the amateur nature of the article it's point is still valid.

Those who think that we are a better team without lucas on the pitch are just naive.

If you really want to be the attacking force that everyone thinks we will become then you have to have a strong defensive foundation that allows you to control the match giving the attackers far more opportunities.

Lucas is not our best player but he maybe our most important simply because no one else can do even half of what he does for the team.

http://redsacrossthepond.blogspot.com/

My LFC blog. If you read it, please leave me any feedback regardless of whether it is critical or complimentary.

Offline drpepe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2011, 04:13:51 pm »
Despite the amateur nature of the article it's point is still valid.

Those who think that we are a better team without lucas on the pitch are just naive.

If you really want to be the attacking force that everyone thinks we will become then you have to have a strong defensive foundation that allows you to control the match giving the attackers far more opportunities.

Lucas is not our best player but he maybe our most important simply because no one else can do even half of what he does for the team.

i don't think it is naive to have the viewpoint  we could improve the team with a better midfielder than lucas in that position.

Offline mattsant

• Legacy Fan
  • SOS #9517
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2011, 04:19:51 pm »

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2011, 04:21:17 pm »
i don't think it is naive to have the viewpoint  we could improve the team with a better midfielder than lucas in that position.

That goes without saying. I bet the team would be improved with a better goalkeeper than Reina in his position. I bet the team would be improved with a better AM than Suarez in his position. I bet the team would be improved with a better CM than Gerrard in his position. By definition, if you replace a player with a better player, you'll have improved the team. The question is your definition of "better". What are you looking for?
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline boloyev

• twat
  • Main Stander
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2011, 04:24:05 pm »

Yeah? Lucas' job is to protect the defence, and he was statistically the best player at doing that in the strongest league in the world last season... so.. hm... Is it really a priority to spend money on someone to do that role? Wake the fk up people

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2011, 04:42:39 pm »
Played well last year, one of those guys who may never lead the line but will find in the middle making sure others get it done. I dont see him being the critcal player in the middle although that is down to the central defenders we have behind him. Speedy cds like Kelly eventually may negate the need for a Lucas / cover against some of the lesser sides. Teams may pack the midfield but many will play two midfielders sitting back and even 3 who rarely venture further than half ways ...in this case where does Lucas come to the fore as possession will be in the 60% and pressure alone will lead to teams losing the ball before they even get to Lucas's area? Experts may say otherwise but when we need to get at sides, chase a game or grab the game by the scruff I see us going with less Lucas and more creativity. There will be still loads of tight games against class sides where Lucas will be key and if he adds that creativity we saw earlier on in his game / willingness to take more chances then he could be the all rounder we need in the "holding" position.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline rawKBottom

• Legacy Fan
  • My karma just ran over your dogma
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2011, 05:01:57 pm »
Come next season, Lucas is a key player, most definitely. But will he be walking into the starting line up without any competition, tough, but a NO in my opinion. No offense on the player but that is the level of competition in the midfield.
Vedanta uncompromisingly insists that man is essentially perfect, and therefore infinite are the possibilities that lie lurking in him

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2011, 05:05:10 pm »
Come next season, Lucas is a key player, most definitely. But will he be walking into the starting line up without any competition, tough, but a NO in my opinion. No offense on the player but that is the level of competition in the midfield.

You reckon Poulsen will start ahead of Lucas?
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline umz_786

• Kemlynite
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2011, 05:12:03 pm »
this article is shite. wheres the insight, wheres the analysis, wheres the numbers?

how about some quality control eh?