Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5733472 times)

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
Re: General Arsenal Thread - Wenger Gone - Unai Emery appointed
« Reply #51880 on: January 27, 2019, 09:36:23 pm »
Perisic is an old school true winger, there isn't even one of those in the Prem anymore.  I have no idea what he would do at Arsenal as neither Auba or Lacazette are Icardi when it comes to getting on the end of crosses.  Really weird transfer if true.

Aren't buying Perisic, it's one of the usual bones the board throws the press to keep them getting clicks.  Highly unlikely to sign anyone unless than a loan this january, which is a shame as the team has really run out of steam.  Against United the game was there to win, the goal to make it 1-1 was well timed and things were looking alright - but once again being caught by balls over the top behind the full backs kills the team.  Ramsey actually seemed one of the better players, too, so will be a shame to lose him - Ozil totally anonymous once again.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #51881 on: January 27, 2019, 09:58:06 pm »
It is but I'm sure he's remaining philosophical about it.
;D
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Jambo Power

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51882 on: January 28, 2019, 12:26:36 am »
Aren't buying Perisic, it's one of the usual bones the board throws the press to keep them getting clicks.  Highly unlikely to sign anyone unless than a loan this january, which is a shame as the team has really run out of steam.  Against United the game was there to win, the goal to make it 1-1 was well timed and things were looking alright - but once again being caught by balls over the top behind the full backs kills the team.  Ramsey actually seemed one of the better players, too, so will be a shame to lose him - Ozil totally anonymous once again.

It was that well timed it came before their second goal which they had already scored. They were woeful.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #51883 on: January 28, 2019, 02:14:29 am »
There's probably a bigger chance of Newcastle getting something out of the match against City than these. Between all the injuries at the back and just being plain old shite, they might be on the end of another one of those thrashings that they became so accustomed to under Wenger.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 02:17:36 am by Caligula? »

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51884 on: January 28, 2019, 02:17:13 am »
Maybe they score a bunch?

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #51885 on: January 28, 2019, 09:01:38 am »
Can he play defence?

Mislintat just went there with his old Dortmund notes didn't he  ;D No wonder he's leaving, he hasn't scouted for about 4 years the way things look there!

Perisic is a very good player, but holy crap, he's not what Arsenal need is he?
I can see why teams get some 'quick fixes' in their teams while they rebuild, but he surely isn't one of them, and even aged 29, he'd not be cheap.

We do need someone that can give us some width, creativity & preferably some goals from a wide position. 1 of Emerys main targets for January was a wide man, he came out & said so, we only have Iwobi just now to play there, so there is an obvious need.

Whether Peresic is that man, or we're able to get a deal done to suit all parties, I'm not sure. At least he is hard working & pretty good without the ball, something that we aa a team lack at times.

We obviously need to strengthen the defence, both short & long term, it's just a matter of who is available just now & whether we can get them on loan this window. I wouldn't be surprised if Cahill comes up again this window, then we re address it in the summer when we have more funds / options.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51886 on: January 28, 2019, 10:00:43 am »
Arsenal were never getting anything against city. Doesn't matter who's injured. A fully fit squad they'd still get destroyed.

Torreria has had his moment too. Looks so tired. Which when you think about it is a bit silly as he didn't really start playing till November.

I think midfield is one of hardest positions to come in and adjust to in this league.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #51887 on: January 28, 2019, 10:35:02 am »
Didn't he play a diamond against Chelsea and have both Aubameyang and Lacazette up front? Why doesn't he stick with that for a while, shunting Aubemayang out to the wing is not helping them.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51888 on: January 28, 2019, 11:16:20 pm »
We do need someone that can give us some width, creativity & preferably some goals from a wide position. 1 of Emerys main targets for January was a wide man, he came out & said so, we only have Iwobi just now to play there, so there is an obvious need.

Whether Peresic is that man, or we're able to get a deal done to suit all parties, I'm not sure. At least he is hard working & pretty good without the ball, something that we aa a team lack at times.

We obviously need to strengthen the defence, both short & long term, it's just a matter of who is available just now & whether we can get them on loan this window. I wouldn't be surprised if Cahill comes up again this window, then we re address it in the summer when we have more funds / options.

How are LFC and Spurs competing with ManU and ManC despite the wealth difference?  By hitting on transfers that were of a young enough age to either be sold for a huge profit to reinvest or keep in the squad while adding other quality players.  Torreira and especially Guendouzi are good starts and transfers like those should continue.  Transfers like Perisic are how you're in this mess in the first place.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51889 on: January 29, 2019, 11:23:51 am »
How are LFC and Spurs competing with ManU and ManC despite the wealth difference?  By hitting on transfers that were of a young enough age to either be sold for a huge profit to reinvest or keep in the squad while adding other quality players.  Torreira and especially Guendouzi are good starts and transfers like those should continue.  Transfers like Perisic are how you're in this mess in the first place.

I agree to an extent, but the main problem is that we are not spending any money this transfer window, for whatever reason. So we are left looking for loans with options to buy. We are trying not to even be pushed into loans with obligations to buy, that suggests we are almost looking for opportunities more than anything else, looking for players perhaps that are out of favour that can help us immediately in the hunt for top 4 or more likely Europa League, then it can be reassessed in the summer.

My initial point was more that although we do need defenders, with only having Iwobi as a 'wide player', we do need other options there as well. The manager agrees & has stated he needs a wide player, so I think the club while it's in this situation it's trying to find a short term solution. It's risky because they are essentially on the scrounge, looking for something for the next 5 months for minimum outlay, & most clubs quite rightly don't want to entertain that, hence the reason Emery admits we could end up with zero signings. It looks like something will have to 'give' to make any signings, from either Arsenal's standpoint or the selling clubs standpoint, and I'm not sure that's going to happen.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51890 on: January 29, 2019, 02:18:27 pm »
Looks like a compromise reached for Denis Suarez after all. A loan with an option to buy, looks like Suarez is signing a new deal to push through the deal to protect Barca's investment if Arsenal don't take up the offer.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51891 on: January 29, 2019, 11:16:03 pm »
Arsenal have clearly got many things wrong on the pitch in recent years but a good club they remain

https://twitter.com/btsportfootball/status/1090320843132076033

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #51892 on: January 29, 2019, 11:51:24 pm »
Arsenal have clearly got many things wrong on the pitch in recent years but a good club they remain

https://twitter.com/btsportfootball/status/1090320843132076033
Class act that, good for them!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #51893 on: January 31, 2019, 01:47:28 pm »
Fuck the BBC, with the headline "Arsenal Confirm Suarez Deal" :|
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51894 on: January 31, 2019, 07:33:33 pm »
Fuck the BBC, with the headline "Arsenal Confirm Suarez Deal" :|

Barcelona accepted the +Ł1 offer!

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51895 on: January 31, 2019, 07:40:59 pm »
Can you lot get a point at the Etihad or is that too much to ask?

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51896 on: January 31, 2019, 08:57:46 pm »
Can you lot get a point at the Etihad or is that too much to ask?

I really do hope we give a decent account of ourselves, but I highly doubt we will. Our last good performance vs them was the FA Cup semi final 2 years ago. We finished 3 points behind them that season. Since then they went up a couple of levels, we regressed & we now sh!t the bed when we play them.

Add that to a likely makeshift defence, I'm afraid I can't see us doing you any favours. At least that will be, on paper at least, our hardest game of the run in over with, with Chelsea & Spurs still to go to both the Etihad & Anfield.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51897 on: January 31, 2019, 09:19:12 pm »
I really do hope we give a decent account of ourselves, but I highly doubt we will. Our last good performance vs them was the FA Cup semi final 2 years ago. We finished 3 points behind them that season. Since then they went up a couple of levels, we regressed & we now sh!t the bed when we play them.

Add that to a likely makeshift defence, I'm afraid I can't see us doing you any favours. At least that will be, on paper at least, our hardest game of the run in over with, with Chelsea & Spurs still to go to both the Etihad & Anfield.

At least give them a scare.  :'(

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51898 on: January 31, 2019, 09:39:02 pm »
At least give them a scare.  :'(

I honestly think Emery is thinking that the defence is needing more work than he thought & he's saving that as a summer job, so he's just thinking feck it, I'll try & make the most out of the 2 strikers.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51899 on: January 31, 2019, 09:49:47 pm »
I honestly think Emery is thinking that the defence is needing more work than he thought & he's saving that as a summer job, so he's just thinking feck it, I'll try & make the most out of the 2 strikers.

Reminds me of us several years ago

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #51900 on: January 31, 2019, 09:53:23 pm »
Denis Suarez.  I’ve always thought he was crap.

At best a very ordinary signing
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #51901 on: February 1, 2019, 12:42:47 am »

You won't be saying that when he scores the winner at the Etihad

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51902 on: February 1, 2019, 12:46:33 am »
You won't be saying that when he scores the winner at the Etihad
and he does a reverse adebayor

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51903 on: February 1, 2019, 08:46:59 am »

I'll be honest, I've not actually seen him play much. We've actually lost a fair bit of technicality from the midfield the past couple of years, probably since Cazorla got injured, & we're labouring to a lot of wins & relying on set pieces or a bit of magic from the strikers. Our best attacking midfielder this season has arguably been Iwobi so I think that tells its own story.

From the little I've seen & read of Suarez, he seems quite technical, decent acceleration & ball carrying. We need a link between the midfield and attackers & hopefully he can help provide that. Good thing is it's a loan with no obligation to buy so it's like an extended trial period.

As an aside, Emile Smith-Rowe has joined RB Leipzig on loan. Excited about these loans to the Bundesliga, which seems the best league in Europe just now for developing young players. Hopefully he gets a fair bit of game time, we have high hopes for the likes of him, Reiss Nelson & Saka that at least 1 of them could become a first team player.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51904 on: February 1, 2019, 08:54:11 am »
He’s not rubbish mind...

Just a bit power puff and not up for a scrap.

For me, that’s the exact opposite of what arsenal need.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #51905 on: February 1, 2019, 08:54:36 am »
Denis Suarez - Remember him being a right mardy little prick when we faced Villareal in the Europa league a few years back.

Had a few nice touches, but I don't remember there being much substance to his game. Seemed to go down when the slightest contact was made as well.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #51906 on: February 1, 2019, 08:56:15 am »
He’s not rubbish mind...

Just a bit power puff and not up for a scrap.

For me, that’s the exact opposite of what arsenal need.

Totally agree. Arsenal need strong characters and I don't think he has one.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51907 on: February 1, 2019, 09:16:35 am »
Come on Arsenal!!!!

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51908 on: February 1, 2019, 09:18:00 am »
They’ve got less chance than Newcastle.

At least Newcastle have fight
W

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #51909 on: February 1, 2019, 09:43:12 am »
They’ve got less chance than Newcastle.

At least Newcastle have fight

If Arsenal get something what you gonna do mate? You could win us the title here.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51910 on: February 1, 2019, 09:50:46 am »
If Arsenal get something what you gonna do mate? You could win us the title here.
Bullying
W

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #51911 on: February 1, 2019, 10:36:10 am »
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51912 on: February 1, 2019, 10:42:53 am »
A tablespoon of mustard  ;)
Oh I have scotch bonnet mustard!

Yes!

I will also run it over my frank and beans in the impossible circumstance of arsenal winning

I’m safe
W

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51913 on: February 1, 2019, 10:43:51 am »
Don’t get your hopes up. Not with our defence.

Offline jamie_c

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51914 on: February 1, 2019, 10:47:19 am »
There is a blueprint to cause City problems, you obviously need the defensive structure where all 10 outfield players have to do their job, you then have to pick your moments to press them and disrupt the play.

Arsenal have the players to cause them problems, but i’m struggling to think of any performance under Emery when they have done this against a good team

Here’s hoping for a conservative Arsenal and a nervous City.  Really struggling to see past a 3-1/4-1 City result though.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51915 on: February 1, 2019, 11:02:12 am »
Don’t get your hopes up. Not with our defence.

I’m not.

I’ve just offered to smear scotch bonnet chilli mustard on my genetitals if you win.

There is literally no chance this will happen and I am utterly safe.
W

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51916 on: February 1, 2019, 11:08:24 am »
Atkinson is reffing and he made it quite clear who he wants to win the league on Wednesday night with his "display".

I'm guessing he'll get quite a welcome there, the red carpet will be rolled out among other things.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51917 on: February 1, 2019, 12:15:31 pm »

Arsenal have the players to cause them problems, but i’m struggling to think of any performance under Emery when they have done this against a good team

We can at home when we are on our game ie. vs Spurs & Chelsea, & we were ok against you guys at home, (that's what made the recent cup game vs Utd so disappointing). However, we aren't strong enough, or have enough quality defensively when put under pressure away from home. We were the better team vs Chelsea but still got beaten, threw away the lead twice vs Mourinho's Man Utd, & got pumped from yourselves. Hardly an inspiring record so far.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #51918 on: February 1, 2019, 12:23:32 pm »
City are scoring 4 past that Arsenal side. Sorry resident gooners but you're an absolute shambles at the back (injured defenders or not).
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #51919 on: February 1, 2019, 12:24:32 pm »
We can at home when we are on our game ie. vs Spurs & Chelsea, & we were ok against you guys at home, (that's what made the recent cup game vs Utd so disappointing). However, we aren't strong enough, or have enough quality defensively when put under pressure away from home. We were the better team vs Chelsea but still got beaten, threw away the lead twice vs Mourinho's Man Utd, & got pumped from yourselves. Hardly an inspiring record so far.

What are your fitness levels? Because ManCity look leggy and hardly are playing up to their best at the moment either. Some magic form Lacazette or Aubameyang to score the first goal would give you a great chance to get something there, because ManCity's confidence is a bit shot.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.