Author Topic: A European Super League: The future of football?  (Read 11980 times)

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
Re: A European Super League: The future of football?
« Reply #120 on: September 12, 2019, 12:00:37 pm »
I don’t think it will happen in my lifetime, and I’ve hopefully got a good 50+ years left in me.

Yeah, they've been saying the same thing since the early 90s at least. That was why the European Cup became the Champions League in the first place, to prevent a breakaway super league.
The fans don't want it.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #121 on: September 12, 2019, 12:14:37 pm »
Yeah, they've been saying the same thing since the early 90s at least. That was why the European Cup became the Champions League in the first place, to prevent a breakaway super league.
The fans don't want it.

Fans don’t want it, and not sure the PL clubs want it given how strong (financially) that is, and then they also benefit from a lucrative CL on top.

I’ve said it before but I really don’t think a Euro League brings in more revenue for clubs than PL + CL does.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • this is what depression will do to you
« Reply #123 on: December 6, 2019, 03:04:14 pm »
It will be every year from now on that if Real, or the italian mafia don't get what they expect, they'll cry murder and a breakaway league.

Would atually be nice if ADFC, PSG, Agnellis and Franco heritage could form their own inbred merry go around, Salfords finest would fit in that lot quite nicely.

But as it stands, and we can not accuse Juventus execs anymore for giving tickets to mafia for them to sell on for obnoxious prices, after all they were convicted for that allready.
« Last Edit: December 6, 2019, 03:08:40 pm by dimwit »

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #124 on: December 6, 2019, 03:06:35 pm »
There will eventually be a super league with clubs "b" teams playing in their domestic leagues. 

No there won't. How would you finance two complete squads for the Super League and the domestic league? Would we be able to put together a second string squad that would complete with Leicester City or the other teams left in the domestic competition?

Would you be able to get decent players for the second string competition?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: December 6, 2019, 03:07:27 pm »
It will be every year from now on that if Real, or the italian mafia don't get what they expect, they'll cry murder and a breakaway league.

Would atually be nice if ADFC, PSG, Agnellis and Franco heritage could form their own inbred merry go around, Salfords finest would fit in that lot quite nicely.

But as it stands, and we can not accuse Juventus execs anymore for giving tickets to mafia for them to sell on for obnoxious prices, after all they were convicted for that allready. Real Madrid doesn't have a leg to stand on in the current market. Not with Agnelli about.

Almost everyone knows a super league would be horrific all around...but they will still try everthing in their power to do it.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #126 on: December 6, 2019, 03:11:12 pm »
More talk of a breakaway league

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/05/sports/real-madrid-fifa-european-super-league.html

By that utter c*nt Perez. As the UEFA President puts it:

The proposal most likely would meet fierce resistance. At a stroke any such competition would decimate the value of domestic league matches, but by taking the best teams they also could destroy the value of the Champions League, the world’s richest club championship and the financial engine of European soccer’s governing body, UEFA.

“I have read about this insane plan. If reports are to be believed, it comes from a single club president, not the owner, and a lone football administrator. It would be hard to think of a more selfish and egotistical scheme,” said Aleksander Ceferin, the president of UEFA. “It would clearly ruin football around the world; for the players, for the fans and for everyone connected with the game — all for the benefit of a tiny number of people.”

Perez is a greedy prick who is obsessed with this.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • this is what depression will do to you
« Reply #127 on: December 6, 2019, 03:18:46 pm »
They will, and it will be up for the fans to stop it.

The kop at Anfield. yellow wall at dortmund, these are the things that the marketing people are salivating about.
take that bit of magic off, and suddenly you have a product like the everton to market about.

And this is the Breakpoint for anyone interested in the club more than his/hers selfies.

Any fucking proposed "superleague" match should be binned. No other person sitting in the stadium bar subs.

But as I said, It will be the Real's and Agnellis that will try to drive this forward, would be interesting to see what Juventus as a club would think, if not endulged with mobsters per Agnellis?

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: December 6, 2019, 04:37:26 pm »
Ceferin's back from his trip to Abu Dhabi I see.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #129 on: January 16, 2020, 10:23:57 am »
More from Martin Ziegler. If anyone has access to the Times online they can flesh this out a bit...

Plan to expand Champions League poses threat to EFL Cup

European football’s leaders are close to an agreement to expand the Champions League by four extra match dates each season in a move that would have big repercussions for domestic football.

The new format that will produce the extra matches has not been agreed — though it could involve restructuring the group stage, or even adding an additional round-robin phase. But the first issue is to find space in the calendar, which would have an impact on domestic football. In England, the greatest threat would be to the EFL Cup.

Four extra matches would mean the Champions League finalists playing at least 17 games over the course of the competition..

..and more behind the paywall.

Depressing how they want to ruin the best competition in football.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #130 on: January 16, 2020, 10:34:10 am »
More from Martin Ziegler. If anyone has access to the Times online they can flesh this out a bit...

Plan to expand Champions League poses threat to EFL Cup

European football’s leaders are close to an agreement to expand the Champions League by four extra match dates each season in a move that would have big repercussions for domestic football.

The new format that will produce the extra matches has not been agreed — though it could involve restructuring the group stage, or even adding an additional round-robin phase. But the first issue is to find space in the calendar, which would have an impact on domestic football. In England, the greatest threat would be to the EFL Cup.

Four extra matches would mean the Champions League finalists playing at least 17 games over the course of the competition..

..and more behind the paywall.

Depressing how they want to ruin the best competition in football.

Just take European clubs out of the EFL Cup. Simple. Not that I support this proposal, I just think the EFL Cup should be for non-European teams anyway.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: January 16, 2020, 10:37:22 am »
Just take European clubs out of the EFL Cup. Simple. Not that I support this proposal, I just think the EFL Cup should be for non-European teams anyway.

Think that’s fair

The EFL cup is so far down the pecking order now it should be for those teams not in Europe

Put some decent prize money on it and make it prestigious again for those in it

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2020, 10:48:12 am »
By that utter c*nt Perez. As the UEFA President puts it:

The proposal most likely would meet fierce resistance. At a stroke any such competition would decimate the value of domestic league matches, but by taking the best teams they also could destroy the value of the Champions League, the world’s richest club championship and the financial engine of European soccer’s governing body, UEFA.

“I have read about this insane plan. If reports are to be believed, it comes from a single club president, not the owner, and a lone football administrator. It would be hard to think of a more selfish and egotistical scheme,” said Aleksander Ceferin, the president of UEFA. “It would clearly ruin football around the world; for the players, for the fans and for everyone connected with the game — all for the benefit of a tiny number of people.”

Perez is a greedy prick who is obsessed with this.

Yet another megalomaniac who thinks he knows what's best for everyone else.
If you want to turn your state subsidised shower of shithouses into the Harlem Globetrotters, that's fine. But leave the rest of us out of it thanks  :wave

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2020, 12:11:15 pm »
They've already ruined the WC and Euros by adding more games. You will have a scenario in a few years using England as an example of PL, FA Cup, League Cup, expanded CL/EL, expanded Club World Cup, plus  your international tournaments (AFCON coming back midseason,  World Cup  Copa America, Euros etc.)

The quality of the overall product is going to decline massively at the current rate

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2020, 01:16:27 pm »
I won't mourn the loss of the EFL Cup... it's a joke competition.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: January 16, 2020, 03:00:50 pm »
More games when I struggle to watch the number that is there right now. They are watering down the product where you might have a couple of weeks off from the game before a season starts up again esp during a WC / Euro summer. Bit like the golf season which must be all year round these days....way too much exposure.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2020, 03:06:04 pm »
Such stupid bloody short term thinking from these various football organisations, they are all so intent on getting a bigger share of the money, while ignoring the obvious point that footballers are a finite resource and you will just end up making the "product" worse when you overuse the most talented players.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: January 16, 2020, 03:14:05 pm »
I always really enjoy the League Cup. The away atmospheres are always great and you get to see any exciting prospects coming through.

But I agree a league cup without European qualified teams with a place in the Uefa Cup up for grabs would be a great competition.