Author Topic: Lionel Messi  (Read 922291 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Lionel Messi
« Reply #7680 on: January 8, 2018, 12:14:45 pm »
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7681 on: January 8, 2018, 01:18:19 pm »
Meow. I think only calling him a good player is a worse insult than calling him a c*nt of a person. How dare you!

Not without a world cup.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7682 on: January 8, 2018, 01:21:37 pm »
The gift that keeps on giving.

Messi fanboy.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #7683 on: January 8, 2018, 01:22:52 pm »
If he scored *just* 15-20 goals a season, he'd still be the best player on the planet by a fucking distance.

How they can give Ronaldo Ballon D'ors is beyond me...or even claim there is a comparison to be made between them. Its fucking ridiculous.

What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7684 on: January 8, 2018, 01:27:10 pm »
Good player but c*nt of a person.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hQHsvHJ_2Mw

I don't blame Neymar for leaving. Messi doesn't give two shits about managers.

Why the fucking manager is asking him if he can be subbed off is the more important point to make here.

Offline elpistolero7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7685 on: January 8, 2018, 01:32:23 pm »
Why the fucking manager is asking him if he can be subbed off is the more important point to make here.

He's Messi? He knows no one can touch him. If he had an argument with Enrique...who do you think suffers?

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7686 on: January 8, 2018, 03:53:19 pm »
If he scored *just* 15-20 goals a season, he'd still be the best player on the planet by a fucking distance.

How they can give Ronaldo Ballon D'ors is beyond me...or even claim there is a comparison to be made between them. Its fucking ridiculous.

Agreed, mate. Some people are stats-bend just for the sake of it. For anyone who watches games, it should be clear that there is a gulf in class between the two, but the world loves "vs" type arguments between "roughly equals".

I remember a few years ago that Ronaldo wasn't winning the Ballon D'Or but FIFA extended voting just for him to win. I think after Ronaldo kicked up the fuss saying he won't attend the ceremony. I just think about it, that award had lost any merit that very day. Why would they violate their own rules just to make him win it???

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7687 on: January 8, 2018, 04:07:02 pm »

Ronaldo turned up in the big CL knockout games in 2017, Messi didn't.
Ronaldo was the best player in the team that won the league that Messi plays in.

I know in some people's heads Messi is the goodie and Ronaldo is the baddie, but it's really not hard to see why Ronaldo won. He turned up MASSIVELY when it mattered in 2017.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7688 on: January 8, 2018, 04:15:34 pm »
Ronaldo was the best player in the team that won the league that Messi plays in.

I know in some people's heads Messi is the goodie and Ronaldo is the baddie, but it's really not hard to see why Ronaldo won. He turned up MASSIVELY when it mattered in 2017.
For the successful CL and La Liga campaigns, Ronaldo won TEAM trophies and titles. Ballon D'Or is supposed to crown the best individual player, and not "let's award the best player of the title winning team". However, this award indeed has become the latter, as FIFA didn't want to award Messi 10 Ballon D'Ors. Its all politics really.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7689 on: January 8, 2018, 04:23:29 pm »
For the successful CL and La Liga campaigns, Ronaldo won TEAM trophies and titles. Ballon D'Or is supposed to crown the best individual player, and not "let's award the best player of the title winning team". However, this award indeed has become the latter, as FIFA didn't want to award Messi 10 Ballon D'Ors. Its all politics really.

Guess you misread what I wrote. I wrote;

Not "Madrid turned up in the big CL knockout games" or "Ronaldo made appearances for the league winning team"

If anyone other than Ronaldo won it in 2017 it would have been ridiculous.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7690 on: January 8, 2018, 04:37:11 pm »
Guess you misread what I wrote. I wrote;

Not "Madrid turned up in the big CL knockout games" or "Ronaldo made appearances for the league winning team"

If anyone other than Ronaldo won it in 2017 it would have been ridiculous.

We can go cyclical with these arguments. Ronaldo wasn't playing that well in 2017 but yes, he scored goals in big CL knockout games. I am having a hard time formulating it but the point is this, yes, Ronaldo scored more in those games, but he simply isn't a better player than Messi. Never was. It's one of those things... you know, kind of like Aspas may far outscore Coutinho (as he has done since going back to Celta) but he just isn't better than Coutinho.

It is similar to the debate we were having in the other thread re-Salah and Hazard. Outscoring is not everything. For several years now, it is either Messi does something and Barca win or we don't win. Ronaldo had superb in form teammates in Modric, Camerio, Ramos etc. to help win those trophies (crucial Ramos goals in CL). We are seeing what Ronaldo is like when his teammates are not performing this season. He looks way past it because he mostly scores and doesn't otherwise contribute. So when his teammates aren't dominating the games behind him, he is just anonymous and all these "past it" comments are now everywhere. How can a player be absolutely world's best in May and be "past it" 3 months later? It's more like Kroos-Casemiro-Modric haven't been the same, Ramos and defense haven't been the same.

At Barca, in part because of Enrique's individualistic tactics, we have been reliant on the geniuses of Messi (mostly) and Neymar (sometimes).

But you knew all of this. Ronaldo can score any number of goals, he just isn't better than Messi. He could go on a hot run of 30 goals in the next 20 matches, it simply doesn't matter, he still won't be better than Messi.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7691 on: January 8, 2018, 04:43:27 pm »
We can go cyclical with these arguments. Ronaldo wasn't playing that well in 2017 but yes, he scored goals in big CL knockout games. I am having a hard time formulating it but the point is this, yes, Ronaldo scored more in those games, but he simply isn't a better player than Messi. Never was. It's one of those things... you know, kind of like Aspas may far outscore Coutinho (as he has done since going back to Celta) but he just isn't better than Coutinho.

It is similar to the debate we were having in the other thread re-Salah and Hazard. Outscoring is not everything. For several years now, it is either Messi does something and Barca win or we don't win. Ronaldo had superb in form teammates in Modric, Camerio, Ramos etc. to help win those trophies (crucial Ramos goals in CL). We are seeing what Ronaldo is like when his teammates are not performing this season. He looks way past it because he mostly scores and doesn't otherwise contribute. So when his teammates aren't dominating the games behind him, he is just anonymous and all these "past it" comments are now everywhere. How can a player be absolutely world's best in May and be "past it" 3 months later? It's more like Kroos-Casemiro-Modric haven't been the same, Ramos and defense haven't been the same.

At Barca, in part because of Enrique's individualistic tactics, we have been reliant on the geniuses of Messi (mostly) and Neymar (sometimes).

But you knew all of this. Ronaldo can score any number of goals, he just isn't better than Messi. He could go on a hot run of 30 goals in the next 20 matches, it simply doesn't matter, he still won't be better than Messi.

It's not just about scoring (although the Messi fanboys do seem to resort to that argument when it suits them, i.e. comparing Messi to Maradona ;D).

It's about turning up on the big occasion in the year in question.

And yes, if Aspas scores 5 against Bayern Munich in the QFs of the biggest club competition in the world, 3 goals against Atleti in the SFs of the biggest club competition in the world, 2 goals against Juventus in the final of the biggest club competition in the world and is top scorer and best player in the team that wins Coutinho's league, then yes, he'll have had a better year than Coutinho and should be placed above Coutinho in the individual awards for that year.

It's not rocket science mate. It was an award for performances in 2017, Ronaldo deserved it.

Offline elpistolero7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7692 on: January 8, 2018, 05:43:09 pm »

All it came down to was 3-4 games really.

Ronaldo was genuniely not very good for the first 6 months of the season. Plenty of poor performances, and padding of statistics by scoring heaps against poor opposition.

Fair play to him for that run in the CL quarters and Semis, but to be honest, he really wasn't that spectacular performance wise in those games. Efficient poaching for sure, but nothing more.

By no means was he the best player in the world over 12 months. Not even close.

The Ballon D'or is basically the "biggest name in the CL winning team award" unless its a Euros/WC year.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7693 on: January 8, 2018, 05:57:15 pm »
The Ballon D'or is basically the "biggest name in the CL winning team award" unless its a Euros/WC year.

I dunno about this bit - surely a Spanish player would have won in 2008, 2010 and 2012 then and a German in 2014?

I think there's a lot to be said for giving a lot more weight to performances in the knockout stages of those tournaments though (CL/EC/WC) - 'the big occasions'. Those big pressure games do tend to separate the wheat from the chaff. Zidane and Henry spring to mind. Everyone outside of Islington will no doubt agree that Zidane was the better player. Why though? Henry did things every bit as impressive as ZZ. The difference is that Henry used to do them against Charlton in Autumn or Watford in January. Zidane put in those kind of performances against Brazil and Portugal in international knockouts or Leverkusen in CL finals. The type of games Henry would go missing in. Just my personal opinion but I'll ALWAYS assign more worth to scoring 5 goals against Munich in the CL Quarters than I will to scoring 5 past Levante in La Liga.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7694 on: January 8, 2018, 06:12:19 pm »
Are people trying to argue that Ronaldo did not deserve the Ballon d'or?
All it came down to was 3-4 games really.

Legendary teams are made on the basis of 3-4 games. Ronaldo was easily the best player of that season.

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7695 on: January 8, 2018, 07:19:09 pm »
Messi's ceiling is much higher than Ronaldo's - a different level of ability altogether.  Can't understand how anyone who watches them regularly can possibly think otherwise.

But you've got to hand it to Ronaldo how he just keeps maximising his talent and keeps getting the goals.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7696 on: January 8, 2018, 08:03:49 pm »

It's not just about scoring (although the Messi fanboys do seem to resort to that argument when it suits them, i.e. comparing Messi to Maradona ;D).

And yes, if Aspas scores 5 against Bayern Munich in the QFs of the biggest club competition in the world, 3 goals against Atleti in the SFs of the biggest club competition in the world, 2 goals against Juventus in the final of the biggest club competition in the world and is top scorer and best player in the team that wins Coutinho's league, then yes, he'll have had a better year than Coutinho and should be placed above Coutinho in the individual awards for that year.

It's not rocket science mate. It was an award for performances in 2017, Ronaldo deserved it.

Funnily enough, I don't think Ronaldo has been Madrid's best player last season or in 2017. The second half of 2017 has been disastrous, but even if we focus on the 2016/17 season, there were complaints that he is average goals aside. He turned up with the goals, yes, but others have contributed equally (IMO, more) to those CL titles.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7697 on: January 8, 2018, 08:09:10 pm »
I dunno about this bit - surely a Spanish player would have won in 2008, 2010 and 2012 then and a German in 2014?

I think there's a lot to be said for giving a lot more weight to performances in the knockout stages of those tournaments though (CL/EC/WC) - 'the big occasions'. Those big pressure games do tend to separate the wheat from the chaff. Zidane and Henry spring to mind. Everyone outside of Islington will no doubt agree that Zidane was the better player. Why though? Henry did things every bit as impressive as ZZ. The difference is that Henry used to do them against Charlton in Autumn or Watford in January. Zidane put in those kind of performances against Brazil and Portugal in international knockouts or Leverkusen in CL finals. The type of games Henry would go missing in. Just my personal opinion but I'll ALWAYS assign more worth to scoring 5 goals against Munich in the CL Quarters than I will to scoring 5 past Levante in La Liga.
That's a fair comment. However, are you suggesting that Messi is not a big game player like Ronaldo is? That's ridiculous.

And again, we come back to the argument that goals scored is not everything. You have essentially been judging Messi and Ronaldo based on goals alone here. Who scored how many where etc. I am telling you that whilst Ronaldo's contribution is goals alone, Messi is much more than that. But your way of looking ignores, you are pretty much one of those twitter stats fans with these arguments. How many fantastic through balls did Messi do? How many looping passes he did to Neymar and Alba? How many dribbles, key passes etc. At this point in time, Messi isn't as mobile as he used to be. He cannot take the ball from midfield, go past the whole team and score by himself as he used to do. So in the absence of a coherent team play, he drops to midfield and contributes from there.

In a way, you are comparing here 2 players of DIFFERENT positions based on goals alone. Judging Ronaldo by goals is fine as he contributes little otherwise, but judging Messi by goals alone makes a disservice to him.

PS Re-Maradona, yes, Ronaldo will never be as good as Maradona either, and it doesn't matter if he scores another 100 goals.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7698 on: January 8, 2018, 10:47:10 pm »
That's a fair comment. However, are you suggesting that Messi is not a big game player like Ronaldo is? That's ridiculous.

And again, we come back to the argument that goals scored is not everything. You have essentially been judging Messi and Ronaldo based on goals alone here. Who scored how many where etc. I am telling you that whilst Ronaldo's contribution is goals alone, Messi is much more than that. But your way of looking ignores, you are pretty much one of those twitter stats fans with these arguments. How many fantastic through balls did Messi do? How many looping passes he did to Neymar and Alba? How many dribbles, key passes etc. At this point in time, Messi isn't as mobile as he used to be. He cannot take the ball from midfield, go past the whole team and score by himself as he used to do. So in the absence of a coherent team play, he drops to midfield and contributes from there.

Well we were talking about 2017 and yes, Ronaldo turned up to the big games more than Messi did in 2017.

But if you want talk about over their careers, then yes, Ronaldo is better at turning up to big games than Messi. Goals aren't everything, but they're a good barometer for a players ability to 'turn up', especially when they're generally as prolific as Ronaldo and Messi so there's a huge sample size. Generally both are 1 in 1 players, right? So when you look at the biggest pressure club games why does Ronaldo maintain almost 1 in 1, but Messi dips to below 1 in 2?

And lets not even mention his 0 in 6 in the games he wants to perform in more than anything, the World Cup knockouts.

So even if we assume Messi still does all the other stuff (dribbles, key passes, etc) in the big games, why can't he score 1 in 1 in these big games like he does against Levante or Malaga? What's going on? Scoring's not everything (although I think you downplay its importance massively), but when a player's scoring ratio dips massively in certain types of game it's fair to suggest that they're not playing as well in those types of game.

Seriously, I'd love to hear your explanation for why he can't score as many in these big games.

Ronaldo can.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7699 on: January 8, 2018, 11:46:27 pm »
Messy and Ronaldo isn't a competition, Messi is a fair bit better and in the conversation for the greatest of all time.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7700 on: January 9, 2018, 12:30:57 am »
Messy and Ronaldo isn't a competition, Messi is a fair bit better and in the conversation for the greatest of all time.
both are not just messi

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #7701 on: January 9, 2018, 12:52:48 am »
Could have retired at 25 and be by far the greatest ever for me. The notion he has to carry Argentina to a world cup is bollocks, I think.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7702 on: January 9, 2018, 05:30:06 am »

Barney agrees  :)
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7703 on: January 9, 2018, 04:32:50 pm »
Well we were talking about 2017 and yes, Ronaldo turned up to the big games more than Messi did in 2017.

But if you want talk about over their careers, then yes, Ronaldo is better at turning up to big games than Messi. Goals aren't everything, but they're a good barometer for a players ability to 'turn up', especially when they're generally as prolific as Ronaldo and Messi so there's a huge sample size. Generally both are 1 in 1 players, right? So when you look at the biggest pressure club games why does Ronaldo maintain almost 1 in 1, but Messi dips to below 1 in 2?

And lets not even mention his 0 in 6 in the games he wants to perform in more than anything, the World Cup knockouts.

So even if we assume Messi still does all the other stuff (dribbles, key passes, etc) in the big games, why can't he score 1 in 1 in these big games like he does against Levante or Malaga? What's going on? Scoring's not everything (although I think you downplay its importance massively), but when a player's scoring ratio dips massively in certain types of game it's fair to suggest that they're not playing as well in those types of game.

Seriously, I'd love to hear your explanation for why he can't score as many in these big games.

Ronaldo can.
Well, I am slowly losing interest in debating this with you because normally you are a good debater/poster, but are coming up with terrible stuff on here.

Goals aren't everything, but they're a good barometer for a players ability to 'turn up', especially when they're generally as prolific as Ronaldo and Messi so there's a huge sample size.
No, it is not. I am tired of these stats people who prop up players based on numbers and underrate others based on the same numbers. Messi was never only about goals, and if you have been watching him and judging him based on that, you missed a lot from his game. You are judging a player who is standing or walking around the penalty area for majority of the match as better than Messi, it is really a stupid way of judging a player. "Goals aren't everything" was a good start, there is no need for "but" part.

I told you before, in the past several years, for Argentina included, Messi needed to drop down to midfield. I told you that you are comparing a midfielder (in many games) to a poacher. That midfielder is prolific doesn't mean this is a valid comparison.

So even if we assume Messi still does all the other stuff (dribbles, key passes, etc) in the big games, why can't he score 1 in 1 in these big games like he does against Levante or Malaga?
I cannot believe that you are writing such nonsense about world's best player ever. Messi's scoring stats have been steadily declining since his 91 goals/year peak. He doesn't score against Levante the way he used to as well. This is in part also because his position on the pitch changed, as I mentioned before. After Suarez's arrival, Barca play with a clear striker in Suarez. Before Suarez, Messi was more central and up. That his scoring stats is going down is also in part because of his natural ageing. He used to score more all across the board, in big games and in "small games".

My view is pretty settled on this issue. You see a genius like Messi, and as someone said above, even if he retired at the age of 25, he'd still be one of the greatest ever. Its like with Brazilian Ronaldo, whose absolute peak was very short, but he will remain as one of the best ever. Never won CL, much of his career is a top class striker, but not historical. But those 2-3 historical great seasons was enough for that. So yes, for me, Messi could have retired 2-3 years ago, and Cristiano Ronaldo would still never be as good. He could score 200 goals more than Messi, he would still not be near him. You gotta understand that. Here is another example. Luis Suarez can score another 200 goals and he still won't be in the same class as Iniesta and Xavi when all of them retire.

Incidentally, the same is true with managers. When pundits are asked above Mourinho vs Guardiola in various shows, most say "Guardiola is better" these days, but some try to be "fair" to Mourinho by saying "well, we have to say he has won X amount of trophies in 4 countries". IMO, that means nothing. Guardiola could have retired after his Barca stint, and he'd still be a historical manager, a lot better than Mourinho. Because those Barca years were magical, remarkable, changed football. The above Messi/Ronaldo debate is similar. Messi entered the arena when he was teenager, and by 25, he has done enough for people to see he is a historical great (unless you are deliberately blind to it). Ronaldo can try-hard all his career, additional 10 years, he just still wouldn't be near Messi even if Messi retired at the age of 25.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7704 on: January 9, 2018, 04:38:13 pm »
To be honest, I am not entirely convinced that C. Ronaldo is in the league of Brazilian Ronaldo and Ronaldinho. Most people would put C. Ronaldo along with the Brazilian geniuses just because of his longevity. However, if you are offered to pick absolute peaks of those 3, the 2 Brazilians, for me, would rank far ahead of C. Ronaldo.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7705 on: January 9, 2018, 05:00:27 pm »
Well, I am slowly losing interest in debating this with you because normally you are a good debater/poster

Cheers mate, I like you too, even if you are a bit batty sometimes when it comes to Barca/Messi/Pep!  :wave

I don't know if you're deliberately blurring what I'm asking because you can't answer or you just genuinely don't understand. All I'm asking is why Messi is generally a 1 goal per game player (and has been every year since his 73 goal season, so no need to bring up how he's changed positions or accommodating Suarez - he's been 1 in 1 for the last few years too), but regresses to 1 in 2 during the biggest games (CL knockouts)?

I'm not commenting on who's a better player out of him or Ronaldo, I'm not commenting on whether he's in decline - I just want to know why he regresses so much in these big games.

Not every player does regress like this, Ronaldo, Drogba, Zidane and Gerrard for example seemed to get better the bigger the occasion (again, don't twist this to say I'm saying any of them are better than Messi - they're not - I'm just bringing them up to counter any potential argument that it's only natural for players to regress against tougher opposition during the highest pressure games).

I want to compare Messi in small occasions with Messi on big occasions and want to know why you think he's much worse during the latter.

If you're losing interest then fine, no worries - certain players turning up in the big games is just something that's always fascinated me so was wondering whether you or anyone could offer any insight into why Messi doesn't. No worries if you can't answer  :wave

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7706 on: January 9, 2018, 11:57:20 pm »
^I have very little interest in using stats to judge players unless that particular stat clearly shows the worst quality (but not the best!) of a player. For example, if the player is so lazy that it is in some ways remarkable, I would use it. For the reverse, I wouldn't use it. I wouldn't use stats to show that a player is "dangerous". Because judging that requires more than one number. Not just goals, players can be dangerous because of dribbling, because of long looping passes, because of through balls. And these may not be covered by assists either. So instead of trying to come up with a metric, I just watch matches.

And yes, I watched Madrid's and Barca's CL matches. And no, Ronaldo weren't great in those matches no matter what he scored. Forget about Messi, he wasn't even doing what De Bruyne is doing for City this season. At times, De Bruyne picks the ball, carries it, plays 1-2s and scores from a superb shot. Instead, often times, threads even on here were full of ridicule (during CL matches) and Ronaldo hate that he is just standing ineffectual for him to score a tap-in or a late penalty. He has been reduced to a poacher/finisher for a while now. But 6 months down the road you are using all of these games reduced to a single stat, number of goals, and arguing how great he has been in those matches. He wasn't great last season, end of.

Messi has done superb on many big occasions, I am not sure if you are trolling or missed his entire career. He has been great way more than Ronaldo. You only think he hasn't been great because of stats.

My final analogy to show that stats can give you a false impression when judging players is following: Lampard and Iniesta play(ed) in roughly the same position (though at times Iniesta played even as a winger). Lampard scored 5-6 times (!) more goals than Iniesta. But check this out, Iniesta could have retired 3 years ago, and Lampard could have been playing for another 10 years and scored another 100 goals, he would still not be in Iniesta's league.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:06:22 am by Xxavi »

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7707 on: January 10, 2018, 12:03:02 am »
I loved analogy in a recent article about some of the TV shows. Ah... found it here
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5226881/Manchester-City-great-one-season.html

There are 12 episodes of Fawlty Towers and 295 episodes of Last of the Summer Wine. Doesn’t make it funnier, though, the longevity. Nobody quotes Foggy and Compo the way they do Basil and Sybil.

Its a bit extreme in this case as C. Ronaldo himself is a great player. But nonetheless, you should get the point. Messi's 4-5 peak seasons (although he had more than 5 great seasons) is enough to know/see that he just is on another level to Ronaldo. No amount of goals, whether it's in CL finals or league games will change that. Because Messi is simply a better footballer.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7708 on: January 10, 2018, 12:19:56 am »
^I have very little interest in using stats to judge players unless that particular stat clearly shows the worst quality (but not the best!) of a player. For example, if the player is so lazy that it is in some ways remarkable, I would use it. For the reverse, I wouldn't use it. I wouldn't use stats to show that a player is "dangerous". Because judging that requires more than one number. Not just goals, players can be dangerous because of dribbling, because of long looping passes, because of through balls. And these may not be covered by assists either. So instead of trying to come up with a metric, I just watch matches.

And yes, I watched Madrid's and Barca's CL matches. And no, Ronaldo weren't great in those matches no matter what he scored. Forget about Messi, he wasn't even doing what De Bruyne is doing for City this season. At times, De Bruyne picks the ball, carries it, plays 1-2s and scores from a superb shot. Instead, often times, threads even on here were full of ridicule (during CL matches) and Ronaldo hate that he is just standing ineffectual for him to score a tap-in or a late penalty. He has been reduced to a poacher/finisher for a while now. But 6 months down the road you are using all of these games reduced to a single stat, number of goals, and arguing how great he has been in those matches. He wasn't great last season, end of.

Messi has done superb on many big occasions, I am not sure if you are trolling or missed his entire career. He has been great way more than Ronaldo. You only think he hasn't been great because of stats.

My final analogy to show that stats can give you a false impression when judging players is following: Lampard and Iniesta play(ed) in roughly the same position (though at times Iniesta played even as a winger). Lampard scored 5-6 times (!) more goals than Iniesta. But check this out, Iniesta could have retired 3 years ago, and Lampard could have been playing for another 10 years and scored another 100 goals, he would still not be in Iniesta's league.

I'm not trolling at all mate. But you've gone and changed the subject again. You've started comparing him to Ronaldo again. Let's both forget about Ronaldo for a minute. I just want to know why Messi scores 1 in 1 over his career but only 1 in 2 in the biggest club games.

As I've said, I'm just really interested in why some players 'step up' on the 'big occasions', some maintain their level and some regress. When it comes to goal scoring only, Messi clearly regresses. I'm just curious to know why this may be.

If you don't want to answer that particular question, then cool. No need to reply with another post about how he contributes more than Ronaldo, I already know that :)

I've enjoyed this chat though - if nothing else I know that next time we engage in the age old 'Maradona V Messi' discussion you definitely won't mention goals because "you have little interest in using that stat to judge players" ;)

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7709 on: January 10, 2018, 12:25:29 am »
I loved analogy in a recent article about some of the TV shows. Ah... found it here
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5226881/Manchester-City-great-one-season.html

Its a bit extreme in this case as C. Ronaldo himself is a great player. But nonetheless, you should get the point. Messi's 4-5 peak seasons (although he had more than 5 great seasons) is enough to know/see that he just is on another level to Ronaldo. No amount of goals, whether it's in CL finals or league games will change that. Because Messi is simply a better footballer.

I agree with this principle that longevity shouldn't be a major factor when judging players. It annoys me when you get these 'Best Ever PL Player' lists every time there's a milestone PL anniversary and Giggs often comes out on top. He wasn't even in the top 5 Man Utd players during his career, let alone top PL player. But his 50 year playing career, or whatever it was, always seems to be the deciding factor for some people. 

It's a little bit important and I can understand why someone would discount a player who only had 1 amazing season (like Vardy or Phillips), but once a player's surpassed 3 or 4 at the highest level it stops becoming important. 

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7710 on: January 10, 2018, 12:46:23 am »
I'm not trolling at all mate. But you've gone and changed the subject again. You've started comparing him to Ronaldo again. Let's both forget about Ronaldo for a minute. I just want to know why Messi scores 1 in 1 over his career but only 1 in 2 in the biggest club games.

As I've said, I'm just really interested in why some players 'step up' on the 'big occasions', some maintain their level and some regress. When it comes to goal scoring only, Messi clearly regresses. I'm just curious to know why this may be.

If you don't want to answer that particular question, then cool. No need to reply with another post about how he contributes more than Ronaldo, I already know that :)

I've enjoyed this chat though - if nothing else I know that next time we engage in the age old 'Maradona V Messi' discussion you definitely won't mention goals because "you have little interest in using that stat to judge players" ;)
Well, the answer is simple. I mean I have been ignoring because it should be self evident. As you progress in CL, you meet better and better teams, who regularly man mark (sometimes double mark) Messi. Usually, there is no point in marking Ronaldo. He is walking about and scores from header. Great. But Messi is marked such that in most games "big occasion" games, he is marked all the way down to midfield. So Messi assumes the role of the creator in those matches, which is one of the reasons you are wrong to judge him on goals alone. Remember Barca-ManCity matches, and Messi's nutmegs? He nutmegged Milner in his own half. That's how deep he drops. In those matches, he must have created 10 clear cut chances for his teammates. He was sensational, and if I remember correctly, he didn't score any.

Fast forward, 6 months down the road, you'd be claiming here he didn't "step up" in that "big CL occasion". He did, he was magical.

If you want to compare this to Ronaldo and his role, he has become primarily a goal scorer several years ago now. He can be utterly anonymous such that I am not even sure if teams bother marking him. A good portion of his goals come from quick transition and counters, where he runs into the space. Messi doesn't have that, Messi is usually the one who is sending passes forward. Ronaldo also has been taking every free kick, penalty and scoring from headers. So there comes the difference. Messi in recent years started sharing penalties and free kicks with Neymar (especially) and Suarez, too.

Anyway, I think it should be clear why Messi scores less. You should read Xavi's interview on how Messi draws players to him.

PS I remember Madrid's CL win vs Atletico Madrid. Ronaldo scored the 4th goal and ran screaming as if he won the match by himself. The scoreline was 4-1 FFS.  :lmao
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:48:12 am by Xxavi »

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7711 on: January 10, 2018, 12:48:43 am »
Guardiola is a fraud. Even I could spend 1 bn and get them to play like that
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7712 on: January 10, 2018, 12:51:25 am »
I have to say, Madrid have also made Ronaldo their main striker, their main man (deservedly so), while Barca moved away from Messi-centered game with transfers of Neymar and especially Suarez. Madrid have Benzema whose best attribute is a team player/striker. So lion's share of those passes and crosses are for Ronaldo to head in/tap in.

Whereas Messi agreed (after Enrique's first 4-5 months) to Suarez moving to the center and himself going to the right. He hasn't stayed as a right winger, he has moved a little further down. Ever since that change, he has become more of an attacking mid.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7713 on: January 10, 2018, 01:04:00 am »
I can't tell if people are serious or not when they're saying this anymore. The whole fraud thing has become such a meme. Also, Guardiola hasn't spent a billion while at city.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Thats So Dimitar

• Kopite
« Reply #7714 on: January 10, 2018, 01:14:55 am »
I can't tell if people are serious or not when they're saying this anymore. The whole fraud thing has become such a meme. Also, Guardiola hasn't spent a billion while at city.

This is also the Lionel Messi thread, so not even relevant to the topic at hand.
We beat Real Madrid

Offline RedMichelFerri

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone - Liverpool till I die
« Reply #7715 on: January 10, 2018, 02:56:07 am »

Big hook waiting for Xxavi to take the bait...... :lmao
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.”

- Rafa Benitez : RIP Ray.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7716 on: January 10, 2018, 03:49:31 am »
Thing is, when Xxavi takes the bait he tends to pull the angler into the water with him ... :)
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #7717 on: January 10, 2018, 11:03:28 am »
The whole Ronaldo v Messi debate in here is old AF.

Both are greats and we are honestly lucky to have them in our generation and watching them compete. Messi is better to some people, Ronaldo is better to others, these are opinions and you can't argue with people who have their favourite, stats and games can be cherry picked for either one to compliment their game.

Arguments are there for Ronaldo doing i diff leagues and for Portugal, arguments are there for Messi to always be consistent and deliver and this and that, off field situations are the same, clips showcasing bad attitudes from either player are the same... etc etc... they are both humans, they both have c*nt features and good features and you can argue this to the end of time.

If you ask me, both are phenomenal players with different styles of play, different attitudes but ultimately they ARE greats of the game and both have achieved many many things other professionals can only dream off. Enjoy them while you can folks, they won't be around forever.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7718 on: January 10, 2018, 11:16:39 am »

You don't even need that sort of bait

Just post a picture of a bald man and he'd manage to talk about how great Guardiola is
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7719 on: January 10, 2018, 11:55:02 am »
Well, the answer is simple. I mean I have been ignoring because it should be self evident. As you progress in CL, you meet better and better teams, who regularly man mark (sometimes double mark) Messi. Usually, there is no point in marking Ronaldo. He is walking about and scores from header. Great. But Messi is marked such that in most games "big occasion" games, he is marked all the way down to midfield. So Messi assumes the role of the creator in those matches, which is one of the reasons you are wrong to judge him on goals alone. Remember Barca-ManCity matches, and Messi's nutmegs? He nutmegged Milner in his own half. That's how deep he drops. In those matches, he must have created 10 clear cut chances for his teammates. He was sensational, and if I remember correctly, he didn't score any.

Fast forward, 6 months down the road, you'd be claiming here he didn't "step up" in that "big CL occasion". He did, he was magical.

If you want to compare this to Ronaldo and his role, he has become primarily a goal scorer several years ago now. He can be utterly anonymous such that I am not even sure if teams bother marking him. A good portion of his goals come from quick transition and counters, where he runs into the space. Messi doesn't have that, Messi is usually the one who is sending passes forward. Ronaldo also has been taking every free kick, penalty and scoring from headers. So there comes the difference. Messi in recent years started sharing penalties and free kicks with Neymar (especially) and Suarez, too.

Anyway, I think it should be clear why Messi scores less. You should read Xavi's interview on how Messi draws players to him.

PS I remember Madrid's CL win vs Atletico Madrid. Ronaldo scored the 4th goal and ran screaming as if he won the match by himself. The scoreline was 4-1 FFS.  :lmao

So in the big games Messi is up against better players who man mark and double mark him, hence him scoring at half his usual rate.

But when Ronaldo's in these games you're saying that these better opposition players don't bother to mark him because he's going to score anyway?

You're inadvertently giving Ronaldo a massive compliment! ("Why bother marking Ronaldo, he's so good he'll score anyway! But we can mark Messi out of the game")

Come on mate, you're getting silly now.