Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 281844 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #2160 on: October 25, 2020, 12:58:22 pm »
Wow, those are fantastic photographs!
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #2161 on: October 25, 2020, 04:40:17 pm »
Oh you old misery. Parakeets are great.  :D

Yeah they are...as long as they are not screaming that awful screeching noise they make, anywhere near your house at 5 in the morning 😱

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2162 on: October 25, 2020, 05:03:35 pm »
Yeah they are...as long as they are not screaming that awful screeching noise they make, anywhere near your house at 5 in the morning 😱
I'll give you that. They don't have the most melodious of calls, and they are damn loud and like the sound of their own voices.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #2163 on: October 25, 2020, 08:55:08 pm »
i've trained this guy to infiltrate their flocks and pick them off one by one

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2164 on: October 25, 2020, 10:32:26 pm »
i've trained this guy to infiltrate their flocks and pick them off one by one

You're a nasty piece of work, you.  ;)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline evie

• "Might have to think about it for a bit, k? No! That's not what I meant! Damn....." Prefers to hold it in.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #2165 on: October 27, 2020, 10:20:09 pm »
Peek-a-boo  ;D

Right before this I watched this jay tear into something that looked an awful lot like a small bird. I've never seen a bird feed on another bird before  :o

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2166 on: October 28, 2020, 09:19:45 am »
Peek-a-boo  ;D

Right before this I watched this jay tear into something that looked an awful lot like a small bird. I've never seen a bird feed on another bird before  :o

there are lots of birds that hunt other birds - sparrowhawk being one of the most common regularly seeing plucking live pigeons before eating them - but this Jay has most probably taken the opportunity to snatch a chick

Jay's won't hunt and eat larger birds but if given the opportunity they will eat chicks - and regurgitate them for their own chicks if needs be too

they are part of the corvid family (Crows Ravens Magpies etc) and are very intelligent and will watch smaller birds go about their daily duties hoping to lead them to where their nests are

when you see a little Blue Tit or Robin constantly looking around then this is because they know other birds are watching and waiting

Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline evie

• "Might have to think about it for a bit, k? No! That's not what I meant! Damn....." Prefers to hold it in.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #2167 on: October 28, 2020, 09:27:46 pm »
Great info, cheers!  :D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2168 on: October 29, 2020, 06:24:42 pm »
Great info, cheers!  :D

You could say evie, its a bird eat bird world out there.   ;D

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2169 on: November 1, 2020, 12:45:03 pm »
A sprawk (Sparrowhawk) has just landed on our fence at the back

quickly grabbed a few photos through the back patio windows so the grime and rain on the glass didn't help  ::)

he was sizing up me at first - and then saw a smaller target and flew off for his Sunday dinner  ;D

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2170 on: November 1, 2020, 12:51:19 pm »
Fantastic pictures. 😁

I'm not sure I like how he's sizing you up in picture number one, though.  :o

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #2171 on: November 1, 2020, 01:33:16 pm »
He, looks more like a she.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2172 on: November 1, 2020, 01:40:39 pm »
Fantastic pictures. 😁

I'm not sure I like how he's sizing you up in picture number one, though.  :o

cheers mate

He, looks more like a she.

it is a female - you are dead right my bad

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2173 on: November 1, 2020, 02:57:31 pm »
Amazing picture. Are sparrowhawks quite common then? Seen them mentioned a few times in here but don’t think I’ve ever seen one. How big are they?

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2174 on: November 1, 2020, 04:05:44 pm »
Amazing picture. Are sparrowhawks quite common then? Seen them mentioned a few times in here but don’t think I’ve ever seen one. How big are they?

cheers - they are quite common and you can see them either in local wooded areas or city back gardens (as long as the have cover like trees and hedges so they can ambush their prey)

even though they are fairly common, you might go a whole year without seeing one unless you make the effort to - or, like me, get lucky and one perches in your backgarden

females are around the size of, or larger than, your average wood pigeon I'd say whereas the males are smaller but still larger than a your average blackbird-sized bird

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #2175 on: November 1, 2020, 10:45:18 pm »
Great pics...beautiful bird..looks a big bugger though, a Goshawk perhaps?....watched one completely demolish a blackbird in my garden a few weeks ago...In the space of about 10 mins there was literally nothing left of it but a stack of feathers!...fascinating.to watch...although it did put me off my sausage and black on toast
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2176 on: November 1, 2020, 10:59:49 pm »
Amazing pictures she doesn’t look happy at being caught on camera though. 😀

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2177 on: November 2, 2020, 08:11:36 am »
Great pics...beautiful bird..looks a big bugger though, a Goshawk perhaps?....watched one completely demolish a blackbird in my garden a few weeks ago...In the space of about 10 mins there was literally nothing left of it but a stack of feathers!...fascinating.to watch...although it did put me off my sausage and black on toast

Thanks - it's definitely a Sparrowhawk as Goshawks are usually found in dense wooded areas and the chances of one in your back garden would be very rare but it would be bloody awesome  ;D

Amazing pictures she doesn’t look happy at being caught on camera though. 😀

cheers - she's got my number  ;D

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2178 on: November 2, 2020, 09:26:14 am »
Amazing pics, liverbloke.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2179 on: November 2, 2020, 07:06:53 pm »
Thanks - it's definitely a Sparrowhawk as Goshawks are usually found in dense wooded areas and the chances of one in your back garden would be very rare but it would be bloody awesome  ;D

cheers - she's got my number  ;D

Just don't offend her, she'll wipe your eyes out with those "nails."  ;D

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2180 on: November 3, 2020, 08:34:19 am »
Amazing pics, liverbloke.

cheers mate

Just don't offend her, she'll wipe your eyes out with those "nails."  ;D

..won't be the first girl to do that  :wave

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #2181 on: November 3, 2020, 03:00:42 pm »
Sparrowhawks are quite easy to spot. They look a bit pigeon shaped in the sky but bigger and unlike pigeons which flap their wings continually in flight they often do about six or seven flaps then have a little glide then flap some more then glide. They don’t hover like kestrels.
And they kill other birds and often eat them alive...nice 😳

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2182 on: November 3, 2020, 03:02:47 pm »
Sparrowhawks are quite easy to spot. They look a bit pigeon shaped in the sky but bigger and unlike pigeons which flap their wings continually in flight they often do about six or seven flaps then have a little glide then flap some more then glide. They don’t hover like kestrels.
And they kill other birds and often eat them alive...nice 😳

Now you mention it I’m sure I’ve seen that flight pattern a bit, usually makes quite a clap sound with those first few flaps?

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2183 on: November 19, 2020, 03:02:44 pm »
How's about this for a rarity on the canal - a Goosander!

yep shitty photos because as soon as I saw it it saw me and flew off but I managed to scrambled for my camera and took a couple of photos BUT I had left the camera in a different settings mode so the colours are all off - and the photos are blurred because of the speed I had to do everything

so shit photos but a cracking spot  ;D

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2184 on: November 19, 2020, 03:11:30 pm »
How's about this for a rarity on the canal - a Goosander!

yep shitty photos because as soon as I saw it it saw me and flew off but I managed to scrambled for my camera and took a couple of photos BUT I had left the camera in a different settings mode so the colours are all off - and the photos are blurred because of the speed I had to do everything

so shit photos but a cracking spot  ;D

Love seeing the goosanders at this time of year as they are regular winter visitors where I am.

They are definitely shy birds when it comes to getting decent photos of them.  I've tried so many times and failed miserably every time but yours are crackers mate.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2185 on: November 19, 2020, 04:11:26 pm »
thanks debs - but you're being too kind there  :D

I also saw a Water Rail today but that bloody bird is just as blimmin elusive so no photos at all  :no

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2186 on: November 19, 2020, 05:03:56 pm »
Love seeing the goosanders at this time of year as they are regular winter visitors where I am.

They are definitely shy birds when it comes to getting decent photos of them.  I've tried so many times and failed miserably every time but yours are crackers mate.

Or even quackers!

Sorry, I will get my coat.  :-\

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2187 on: November 19, 2020, 05:05:09 pm »
thanks debs - but you're being too kind there  :D

I also saw a Water Rail today but that bloody bird is just as blimmin elusive so no photos at all  :no
I've only ever seen a water rail once, unfortunately it was dead at the side of the road. 

From the colours I thought it was a barn owl at first so had stopped to check if it had a ring as I was a volunteer for the trust and a bto ringer at the time.

Can I ask what camera you use as we want to get one for quick snaps of wildlife we see whilst out with the dogs?  I usually use my phone but it's crap for doing close ups that are zoomed in.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2188 on: November 19, 2020, 05:05:41 pm »
Or even quackers!

Sorry, I will get my coat.  :-\
[emoji2356] [emoji16]

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2189 on: November 19, 2020, 06:52:58 pm »
I've only ever seen a water rail once, unfortunately it was dead at the side of the road. 

From the colours I thought it was a barn owl at first so had stopped to check if it had a ring as I was a volunteer for the trust and a bto ringer at the time.

Can I ask what camera you use as we want to get one for quick snaps of wildlife we see whilst out with the dogs?  I usually use my phone but it's crap for doing close ups that are zoomed in.

I use a Canon PowerShot SX700 HS Super Zoom (x30 optical zoom) see here https://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/digital_camera/powershot/powershot_sx700_hs/

It has a cracking zoom and also a cracking macro setting and lots of other settings too but there's also auto on there for quick snaps

It doesn't have a view finder but I think most people who use their phones to take photos won't mind this but it can be awkward in bright sunshine

It's small and lightweight and really great

Anyhoo - I've attached some unedited photos for you to see

in the photo of the nuthatch you can see its eyelashes

and that dragonfly landed on my leg and wouldn't shift!

these are typical of what it can do

(right-click the images and select 'view image' if they don't open up fully)

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2190 on: November 19, 2020, 07:15:04 pm »
Great pictures. Where about on the canal was the Goosey?

Those dragonflies are massive, aren't they? I see lots of them when fishing the Leeds-Liverpool in West Lancs in summertime.

I have a Canon Powershot too, although not as advanced as the one you have.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2191 on: November 19, 2020, 07:21:07 pm »
Well that's my chrimbo pressy sorted then.

The depth of those colours is amazing, as is the detailing.

Thanks for that.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2192 on: November 19, 2020, 07:23:16 pm »
What great photos, though that nuthatch looks like its trying to hang itself. Maybe he is stressed as well at the moment. I love dragonflies such pretty looking species and always really fascinating to watch. When we went down to Kent to see my nephew, I was watching one on the water for almost an hour. I have never managed to study anything in the wild so closely before it was a beautiful red one, may even have been a damselfly. What's the difference between damselflies and dragonflies? Does anyone know?

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2193 on: November 20, 2020, 07:02:52 am »
Great pictures. Where about on the canal was the Goosey?

Those dragonflies are massive, aren't they? I see lots of them when fishing the Leeds-Liverpool in West Lancs in summertime.

I have a Canon Powershot too, although not as advanced as the one you have.

it was just after the Holmes Swing Bridge heading towards Ledson's - it saw me and flew off back the other way so I thought 'do I cycle another half mile in the cold wind to find it or do I go home for a bit of warmth?' and I thought 'warmth'  ::) well I have seen one before and if it would have been a first for me then I would've deffo gone chasing after it

What great photos, though that nuthatch looks like its trying to hang itself. Maybe he is stressed as well at the moment. I love dragonflies such pretty looking species and always really fascinating to watch. When we went down to Kent to see my nephew, I was watching one on the water for almost an hour. I have never managed to study anything in the wild so closely before it was a beautiful red one, may even have been a damselfly. What's the difference between damselflies and dragonflies? Does anyone know?

here's an easy way to know which is which

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2194 on: November 20, 2020, 11:54:25 am »
it was just after the Holmes Swing Bridge heading towards Ledson's - it saw me and flew off back the other way so I thought 'do I cycle another half mile in the cold wind to find it or do I go home for a bit of warmth?' and I thought 'warmth'  ::) well I have seen one before and if it would have been a first for me then I would've deffo gone chasing after it

here's an easy way to know which is which

That is cool. It's like one of those kiddie trips we did outside in primary school.  ;D

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2195 on: November 20, 2020, 07:16:24 pm »

I was going to call you a 'lightweight' until you said you'd already seen one before.  :)

Definitely deserved a chase if it was your first ever sighting, though. Lovely bird, and fantastic photos too.

I know where that stretch of the canal is, though I've never been down that part myself.

I had two nice spots this afternoon driving on the Northern Perimeter Road. A Sparrowhawk flying low over the road as I went to Asda, then a Heron flying low over the road on my way back. Not uncommon of course, but still a great sight so close up. Last week a Buzzard was also flying just above car roof height as I drove by Buckley Hill.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2196 on: December 3, 2020, 07:28:04 pm »
We've had a Kestrel appear near ours !! We have a lot of mice around here so plenty of food for it.

Not sure what I saw last week, but a bird of prey tore past the kitchen window, wings spread, tail fanned, banked a full 90 degrees and shot round the back of next doors garage, looking at pics of the tail online, it may have been a Sparrowhawk
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2197 on: December 5, 2020, 05:58:53 pm »
just looking through my photos from Lunt last week and took these of a Teal, a female Stonechat and 3 Goosanders (a male with 2 females if I'm not mistaken) - weather was a bit overcast so sorry about the low quality light

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2198 on: December 5, 2020, 06:06:49 pm »
^
Nice pic's there.  :)

I'll have to pop into Lunt and have a look around. I drive past quite a lot, but I've not stopped to see what's there.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2199 on: December 5, 2020, 06:23:38 pm »
^
Nice pic's there.  :)

I'll have to pop into Lunt and have a look around. I drive past quite a lot, but I've not stopped to see what's there.

it's a good walk and you'll always see something