Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 281859 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #2120 on: October 5, 2020, 07:32:43 pm »
Jays are lovely looking birds but I've heard they can be quite aggressive.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2121 on: October 5, 2020, 08:16:19 pm »
The jay has returned again. Snapped a photo.

They are known as Autumn visitors and they never fail for me. I saw one a few times last week, brilliant to see.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #2122 on: October 6, 2020, 06:54:52 am »
Jays are lovely looking birds but I've heard they can be quite aggressive.

Jays? No more than any other corvid but animals aren't necessarily aggressive because they don't have an understanding of aggression - they just act on instinct.

Blue jays on the other hand - not native to the UK - can attack people but only because they see us as a threat to their chicks/territory and again are just protecting using natural instincts.

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2123 on: October 6, 2020, 09:23:53 am »
Lovely looking, isn't it. Apparently they're voracious acorn hunters and bury them for leaner times. I read an article saying that some scientists attribute the spread of oak trees throughout the UK to long forgotten acorns buried by jays!

Bit annoyed I had my camera on manual mode rather than aperture priority - that's why it's a bit grainy. Hopefully he re-appears and I can get another shot.

Might have a little look through my safari photos from 2018 and dig out a few bird shots if anyone is interested. Think I've got some quite interesting ones (secretary bird, red-billed ox pecker, shoe-billed stork etc.)

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2124 on: October 6, 2020, 12:26:26 pm »
The nuthatch has been back today. Brought a mate with him too.

Any ideas what type of Tit this is? I get Greats and Blues but thinking this could be a Coal/Willow/Marsh?

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2125 on: October 6, 2020, 12:34:18 pm »
The nuthatch has been back today. Brought a mate with him too.

Any ideas what type of Tit this is? I get Greats and Blues but thinking this could be a Coal/Willow/Marsh?

Looks like a coal tit to me Adam.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2126 on: October 6, 2020, 02:12:02 pm »
debs is right - Coal Tit

as well as the colours, Great Tits can be identified by a dark stripe that runs down their breasts

Willow and Marsh are more uncommon - to identify these birds their caps are more well, cap like  ;D

Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #2127 on: October 6, 2020, 04:04:31 pm »
Sometimes see Coal Tits in our garden, also had a family of Long-Tailed tits last year but not seen either this year. Get lots of goldfinches which are my favs, but unfortunately our cat seems to be rather fond of them too.

Wanker (love him really just not when he kills goldfinches)
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline evie

• "Might have to think about it for a bit, k? No! That's not what I meant! Damn....." Prefers to hold it in.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #2128 on: October 6, 2020, 05:05:35 pm »
I have recently really got into photography and I've been practising on birds in particular. That jay is really a skittish one  ;D Barely have time to raise the camera and it's usually off but I managed to snap a pic the other week.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2129 on: October 6, 2020, 05:33:44 pm »
I have recently really got into photography and I've been practising on birds in particular. That jay is really a skittish one  ;D Barely have time to raise the camera and it's usually off but I managed to snap a pic the other week.
Superb that Evie [emoji106]

Offline evie

• "Might have to think about it for a bit, k? No! That's not what I meant! Damn....." Prefers to hold it in.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #2130 on: October 6, 2020, 11:02:10 pm »
Superb that Evie [emoji106]

Cheers 😊👍🏻

Offline evie

• Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #2131 on: October 6, 2020, 11:09:12 pm »
Jays? No more than any other corvid but animals aren't necessarily aggressive because they don't have an understanding of aggression - they just act on instinct.

Blue jays on the other hand - not native to the UK - can attack people but only because they see us as a threat to their chicks/territory and again are just protecting using natural instincts.

I was attacked by an Australian magpie in Queensland when I didn’t notice there was a big nest in the tree above me. The little bastard bird pecked me in the temple 😏

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #2132 on: October 7, 2020, 09:05:29 pm »
Had a pileated woodpecker coming last couple days. The fuckers are huge! I’ll hopefully get a pic with a proper camera next time

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2133 on: October 7, 2020, 09:09:05 pm »
Had a pileated woodpecker coming last couple days. The fuckers are huge! I’ll hopefully get a pic with a proper camera next time

Wow, that is big.  :o

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2134 on: October 7, 2020, 10:38:07 pm »
So with the craziness of our seasons when can I cut my bloody hedge ?
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2135 on: October 8, 2020, 08:49:25 am »
So with the craziness of our seasons when can I cut my bloody hedge ?

Why, can't you get out of your house?  ;D

The RSPB recommend not trimming between March and August/September. Some birds nest a bit later but you should be fine now. Just make sure the local sparrows aren't living in it first though.  ;D

Have said all of that the Doves are still procreating. I had ten in my garden yesterday, I've never even seen ten doves before. The youngsters are very fluffy and have no idea how to fly in the wind.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2136 on: October 8, 2020, 02:51:30 pm »
Why, can't you get out of your house?  ;D

The RSPB recommend not trimming between March and August/September. Some birds nest a bit later but you should be fine now. Just make sure the local sparrows aren't living in it first though.  ;D

Have said all of that the Doves are still procreating. I had ten in my garden yesterday, I've never even seen ten doves before. The youngsters are very fluffy and have no idea how to fly in the wind.

You laugh but it's not far off covering half the window.We actually had 2 dove chics in the backyard,cat was in the back bedroom window one morning going ape shit,I has a look and there were two of the fluffy buggers,just starting to get their feathers staring back at me,wish I had taken a photo now.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2137 on: October 9, 2020, 02:21:11 pm »
I've just had my best encounter ever with a Jay. I was working at home when one landed outside my window on the patio and started digging in the cracks only about 5 feet away from me. It looked absolutely splendid. It stayed for a few minutes and even my kids where getting excited about it.  It was finding all sorts and it moved an acorn from one position to another, stayed a bit longer then few off flashing its wonderful colours. What a treat.
Then literarily 1 minute later a squirrel came and took the acorn. The little twat must be just clocking what's going on.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2138 on: October 10, 2020, 03:45:44 pm »
I've just had my best encounter ever with a Jay. I was working at home when one landed outside my window on the patio and started digging in the cracks only about 5 feet away from me. It looked absolutely splendid. It stayed for a few minutes and even my kids where getting excited about it.  It was finding all sorts and it moved an acorn from one position to another, stayed a bit longer then few off flashing its wonderful colours. What a treat.
Then literarily 1 minute later a squirrel came and took the acorn. The little twat must be just clocking what's going on.

:D  It's usually the other way around.

We feed the squirrels in Sefton Park with monkey nuts, and if they don't eat it right away they take it away and bury it. As soon as they walk off a Magpie, Crow or similar will swoop in and dig the nut up again.  :)

There are always prying eyes on the lookout for food, it seems.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2139 on: October 13, 2020, 01:20:11 pm »
Picked up a few squirrel-proof feeders last week and put them out at the weekend. The nuthatches have found the sunflower seeds and have been devouring them for the past two hours. Swoop over, grab a sunflower seed, swoop over to a nearby tree and either bury/crack it open.

Have got another feeder up full of finch seed but having little luck with attracting anything other than goldfinch at the moment.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2140 on: October 13, 2020, 01:40:55 pm »
grey squirrels - cute anthropomorphic shaggy tailed aw

NO they're nasty vermin!  :no

Don't buy a squirrel guard - buy one of these instead

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #2141 on: October 16, 2020, 11:30:07 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Q3SyxMdI2U4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Q3SyxMdI2U4</a>

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2142 on: October 17, 2020, 05:27:16 pm »
^ that owl is saying 'look, I got the money now let's get outta here! heeeeeey you're not my pilot...'

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2143 on: October 18, 2020, 09:51:27 am »
Ring necked parakeet in the garden this morning.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2144 on: October 18, 2020, 02:54:58 pm »
Ring necked parakeet in the garden this morning.

I am a birder and an animal and bird lover - BUT if you see any more then (again) buy one of these for those pests

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2145 on: October 18, 2020, 03:19:04 pm »
The goldfinches are so feisty at the moment, every time there is crowd of them at the feeders they are fighting over every scrap of seed.   :o

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2146 on: October 21, 2020, 02:51:41 pm »
Just had a woodpecker in the garden but was too slow to get a photo :( I saw one in the same trees about five years ago when we first moved in but since then nothing.

I'm assuming it was a Great Spotted but it flew off too quickly to be sure.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2147 on: October 21, 2020, 02:59:06 pm »
Just had a woodpecker in the garden but was too slow to get a photo :( I saw one in the same trees about five years ago when we first moved in but since then nothing.

I'm assuming it was a Great Spotted but it flew off too quickly to be sure.

yeh it'll be the common Great Spotted for sure but a little tip for you - go outside and tap on some wood just like a woody pecking and you might just see the Greaty popping his head around to have a look at who's in his territory

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2148 on: October 21, 2020, 06:17:19 pm »
I am a birder and an animal and bird lover - BUT if you see any more then (again) buy one of these for those pests

I met a birder yesterday in Sefton Park. He was telling us about Lunt Meadows and how he was photographing the Kingfisher in the park. For a moment, I wondered if it was you, because I know you've frequented both places watching birds. Then he said he was going to photograph the Ring-Necked Parakeets, and I knew it wasn't you.  ;D

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2149 on: October 21, 2020, 06:42:25 pm »
I met a birder yesterday in Sefton Park. He was telling us about Lunt Meadows and how he was photographing the Kingfisher in the park. For a moment, I wondered if it was you, because I know you've frequented both places watching birds. Then he said he was going to photograph the Ring-Necked Parakeets, and I knew it wasn't you.  ;D

ha ha - yes you got me right in the fact that I wouldn't photograph those bloody birds  ;D

you'll know it's me when we meet - I'm usually surrounded by my bodyguards and at least 3 blondes linking my arms

but give me the nod and I'll tell the bodyguards to let you approach me

no autographs or photographs though - I'm sick of people selling them on ebay

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2150 on: October 21, 2020, 07:41:26 pm »
ha ha - yes you got me right in the fact that I wouldn't photograph those bloody birds  ;D

you'll know it's me when we meet - I'm usually surrounded by my bodyguards and at least 3 blondes linking my arms

but give me the nod and I'll tell the bodyguards to let you approach me

no autographs or photographs though - I'm sick of people selling them on ebay
I think I spotted you the other day.

:)

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2151 on: October 22, 2020, 09:51:06 am »
I think I spotted you the other day.

:)

now that's how to bird watch

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2152 on: October 22, 2020, 11:44:49 pm »

Had a parakeet literally per through my window earlier, took a look at me and flew off again. Got a flock of them on my street at the moment, in and out of trees and the flapping around our brickwork constantly.
Exciting. Delightful. Exquisite are some of the welcoming thoughts on sight of our new urban Parakeet friends.
I can't wait to see more and more of them with their flash of colour and paradise imagery.
Like our favourite, cute Goldfinches who have a distinguishable song as they fly in numbers, Parakeets do also.
I'm all in for 24 months of this in Liverpool. Unlike those suddenly prevalent squirrels, they'll be welcome on our land.

In due course though, I predict noisy, nuisance, annoying c*nts which create a fucking racket could be more descriptive.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2153 on: October 23, 2020, 07:44:15 am »
Exciting. Delightful. Exquisite are some of the welcoming thoughts on sight of our new urban Parakeet friends.
I can't wait to see more and more of them with their flash of colour and paradise imagery.
Like our favourite, cute Goldfinches who have a distinguishable song as they fly in numbers, Parakeets do also.
I'm all in for 24 months of this in Liverpool. Unlike those suddenly prevalent squirrels, they'll be welcome on our land.

In due course though, I predict noisy, nuisance, annoying c*nts which create a fucking racket could be more descriptive.

;D

ah Parakeets - seeing one for the first time is like hearing your favourite song on a sunny day

after seeing about 1000 a day they're more like hearing your favourite song on full volume at 4 in the morning whilst you're in bed with a massive headache

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2154 on: October 23, 2020, 07:25:31 pm »
;D

ah Parakeets - seeing one for the first time is like hearing your favourite song on a sunny day

after seeing about 1000 a day they're more like hearing your favourite song on full volume at 4 in the morning whilst you're in bed with a massive headache
Oh you old misery. Parakeets are great.  :D

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2155 on: October 24, 2020, 02:37:25 pm »
Oh you old misery. Parakeets are great.  :D

in a pie - yes  ;D

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2156 on: October 24, 2020, 04:40:51 pm »
in a pie - yes  ;D
I'm sorry, but you deserve this.   

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #2157 on: October 25, 2020, 06:01:18 am »
Rook chasing off an Osprey... took this whilst in Sri Lanka on the west coast at a place called Benatota
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2158 on: October 25, 2020, 09:14:50 am »
Rook chasing off an Osprey... took this whilst in Sri Lanka on the west coast at a place called Benatota

cool that but it's not an osprey (markings are all wrong) - looks like a white bellied sea eagle to me which is also very cool

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #2159 on: October 25, 2020, 12:41:12 pm »
Arrr yes, mate, you are correct... apologies..  here are a few more pics from that day...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 12:50:11 pm by kopite321 »
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.